Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

The Walrus posted:

fallout 4 vr is a TON of fun. It's quite janky in some ways but in other ways it just works so intuitively and perfectly, mostly involving combat. sidling up to a corner and peeking around it to take long range shots and then switching to VATS as a raider comes running around the corner and point blank shotgunning him just feels so dang cool. I took an hour and stealthed corvega just crawling around on my hands and knees IRL. so much better than vanilla FO4.

I just posted the below in the VR thread as a somewhat rhetorical question, but may as well ask it for real here : I'm not sure if I've just gotten lucky or if the quests in Fallout 4 are better than I remember. So far I've done Tenpenny Pines/Corvega, went towards town and found Cambridge Fabrication, then did the BoS ArcJet Systems quest. Hit up Diamond City but on my way responded to the Trinity Tower distress call. Then in Diamond City some guy wanted me to help him intimidate the bartender that his wife was cheating with, but that turned into a whole thing where I ambushed a drug deal, killed everyone and got directions to some secret chemlab.

i had done maybe half of these before and half were new, but they were all pretty great. I'm wondering if I've lucked into some better than average quests or if the game is just better than I remember. or maybe these quests really just suck but the VR factor is making them more fun?

edit

https://clips.twitch.tv/PatientIntelligentDragonBatChest

aaah this game owns

I haven't played it in VR because I'm still rocking a PS4 poor I bought on sale but the Corvega factory is actually a pretty cool dungeon because it's huge and has multiple ways in and out and has a bunch of secret areas, so you're not just going along a linear path to the end. The only misstep is that they play up the sewer entrance as the sneaky safer option, but it's far and away much harder to go that way then to just walk in the front door or use the walkways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

osirisisdead posted:

That's what that was... I wondered why the mobs would disengage from that task but didn't do anything about it.

That's nothing that a few hauling runs in a stripped down power armor frame can't fix. So now I can run one base as a scrap factory as long as I don't mind junk hauling a bit... I think I'm going to do this.

Is there a Provisioner mod out there that could automate that process, so I could set a scav base that keeps getting unfilled? Idk how the chunks are being loaded, but the crops don't seem to grow when I sleep in Diamond City for a while so...

Salvage Beacons will let you move any container's contents to any settlement, but it has to be a container, not the shared workshop storage. Might not be what you want.

Shipments of the Commonwealth will let you craft shipments out of junk, which if you have the settlements connected together with Local Leader will pull junk out of everything connected in order to do it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

osirisisdead posted:

That's what that was... I wondered why the mobs would disengage from that task but didn't do anything about it.

That's nothing that a few hauling runs in a stripped down power armor frame can't fix. So now I can run one base as a scrap factory as long as I don't mind junk hauling a bit... I think I'm going to do this.

Is there a Provisioner mod out there that could automate that process, so I could set a scav base that keeps getting unfilled? Idk how the chunks are being loaded, but the crops don't seem to grow when I sleep in Diamond City for a while so...

If you're willing to mod, there's a mod that removes the cap on resource collection straight up. Then the linking between settlements mean all settlements get your junk. I believe it's Uncapped Settlement Surplus.

I also like Salvage Rewards because it puts shipments in reward chests. Makes getting through a dungeon pretty rewarding without having to luck an assload of garbage back to base.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
How does movement work in Fallout 4 VR? IMO that's always the achilles heel of VR.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Ganson posted:

How does movement work in Fallout 4 VR? IMO that's always the achilles heel of VR.

Smooth movement via the left trackpad or teleportation, except for workshop mode where you're forced to use teleportation as the trackpad's used for the workshop menu.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ganson posted:

Ammo press is pretty nice. Literally the only manufacturing item worth anything besides maybe weapon/clothes if you want to kit out all your settlers in snazzy suits and gatling lasers.

One of the first mods I got is the one that updates the Contraptions mods to be able to break down ammo and then use the ammo press to make that into other ammo. (it also lets me make more Nuka-Cola Quantum by adding nuclear material to regular cokes!). I love that.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Icedude posted:

Smooth movement via the left trackpad or teleportation, except for workshop mode where you're forced to use teleportation as the trackpad's used for the workshop menu.

The smooth movement feels very good to me, I recommend turning off the comfort vignette and turning the movement speed up to fast. If you have a 360 or room scale setup then just use HMD tracking for turning and disable the stick turning. The game uses the forward vector of your non-dominant controller for movement direction, and the trigger on your non-dominant controller jumps.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

marshmallow creep posted:

If you're willing to mod, there's a mod that removes the cap on resource collection straight up. Then the linking between settlements mean all settlements get your junk. I believe it's Uncapped Settlement Surplus.

I also like Salvage Rewards because it puts shipments in reward chests. Makes getting through a dungeon pretty rewarding without having to luck an assload of garbage back to base.

T

Glazius posted:

Salvage Beacons will let you move any container's contents to any settlement, but it has to be a container, not the shared workshop storage. Might not be what you want.

Shipments of the Commonwealth will let you craft shipments out of junk, which if you have the settlements connected together with Local Leader will pull junk out of everything connected in order to do it.

hanks for the suggestions, my dudes. I'll leave this bookmarked for when I am in the mood to grok some modding.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Was there a faulty patch that just came out or something? The game hasn't crashed once for me until today. Today it crashed or locked up a good 3-4 times.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Was there a faulty patch that just came out or something? The game hasn't crashed once for me until today. Today it crashed or locked up a good 3-4 times.

Same. The game got unstable all of a sudden.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get handmade rifle suppressors without rifleman? I’m running a commando build and I have the problem solver, but I’d like to add a suppressor eventually.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get handmade rifle suppressors without rifleman? I’m running a commando build and I have the problem solver, but I’d like to add a suppressor eventually.

I'm pretty sure in vanilla that it only takes Gun Nut of some level. Are you using some crafting mod?

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Splattercannon should have one by default, but that's going to be hella caps. Lizzie or one of the other generic higher-tier Operators in The Parlor might also have one, but that would need to be either pick pocketed or a perfect stealth kill. Lizzie's would need to be pick pocketed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'm pretty sure in vanilla that it only takes Gun Nut of some level. Are you using some crafting mod?

He's talking about the Nuka-World weapon. All Nuka-World weapons have extra requirements on top of the usual crafting perks. The Handmade Rifle requires either Rifleman or Commando for most of its mods and occasionally other stuff like Basher, while Nuka-World gang armor has funky requirements like needing Pickpocket for the extra pockets mod or Blacksmith.

And yeah, the Splattercannon should have a supressor by default, just save up your caps and buy it direct.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Don't forget to vulch the Nuka-ganger's random encounters outside the theme parks - it's possible to stealthmurder anyone that survives the scavs/Gunners/Super Mutants/Deathclaws, and at the least that gives you some valuable loot. (Not sure I ever noticed anyone running a can, though.)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Speedball posted:

He's talking about the Nuka-World weapon. All Nuka-World weapons have extra requirements on top of the usual crafting perks. The Handmade Rifle requires either Rifleman or Commando for most of its mods and occasionally other stuff like Basher, while Nuka-World gang armor has funky requirements like needing Pickpocket for the extra pockets mod or Blacksmith.

And yeah, the Splattercannon should have a supressor by default, just save up your caps and buy it direct.

Oh fair enough. I have Nuka World, for some reason, but I've never played it at all.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Seashell Salesman posted:

Oh fair enough. I have Nuka World, for some reason, but I've never played it at all.

Nuke World to me almost requires you to do a run specifically to play Nuka World. I missed it entirely until the end of the main quest the second time as it's like stupid far out of the way and nothing really pushes you there like Automaton or Far Harbor.

It also doesn't help that the option that doesn't kinda gently caress your standing across the commonwealth is incredibly boring and lackluster. I never thought I'd run into slaves in a game that were so boring that it was a real effort for me to find a reason to want to save them but holy poo-poo, gently caress the traders.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The corn's coming in nice and I'm preparing to make a run for a second power armor frame.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How does Horizon handle companions? Are they set to die if you don't watch out for them or are they just pack mule bullet sponges?

More importantly does it work with the Nora mod because exploring the wasteland with my wife was one of the better companion experiences.

Wait this isn't the mod thread. My bad.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 20, 2017

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This thread is on its last legs.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

This thread is on its last legs.

<applies stimpack>

<thinks a moment>

<applies six psychojet>

OK, fixed.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

"I'm as corny as Kansas in August" is a great line.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

"I'm as corny as Kansas in August" is a great line.

High as a flag on the fourth of July

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress you guys.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
thread dead so what

Only registered members can see post attachments!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

it had a good run

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

frajaq posted:

it had a good run

Remember the leak stream where the streamer only used the pipe pistol? Or discovering 'HATE NEWSPAPERS' for the first time?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Remember that goon showing the plot twist picture before the game was out

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

My favorite will always be the 1-2 combo of "you haven't played this game you aren't qualified to criticize it" and "you have played hundreds of hours of this game so your criticism makes no sense."

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

frajaq posted:

Remember that goon showing the plot twist picture before the game was out

what this game has a plot?

edit: Dang ole Mirelurk Queen ate missiles and plasma and the violin plays on the radio, wew!

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 23, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Neat new Menze Vault Boy, courtesy of Avellone. (Menze's VB's original creator)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So uh

Why is shaun an old man if they had the technology to make kellog a 108 y/o middle aged gunslinger

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Kellogg is more machine than man. He gave up his humanity to be an rear end in a top hat forever after his family was killed.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

So uh

Why is shaun an old man if they had the technology to make kellog a 108 y/o middle aged gunslinger
Because the Institute, the organization that creates Super Mutants for no good reason, creates Snatchers to murder and infiltrate and take over surface human society, create hideous robotic monsters that murder blindly through the wilderness and also decided to go all apple with their decor

found the idea of transhumanism in the form of Kellogg too icky and so he was the last one to get those implants

(FALLOUT 4 IS BADLY THOUGHT OUT poo poo)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Namaer posted:

Kellogg is more machine than man. He gave up his humanity to be an rear end in a top hat forever after his family was killed.

Well yeah, but kellogg when you kill him is still of free human mind, which is the only real requirement to making the blueprint of synths immortal.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
A good twist to the Institute is Evil thing would have been if it wasn't them murdering the people and replacing them with synths. If that had been the Railroad hiding the synths from the Institute.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

A good twist to the Institute is Evil thing would have been if it wasn't them murdering the people and replacing them with synths. If that had been the Railroad hiding the synths from the Institute.

Haha that would own.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched bits and pieces of gameplay from streamers and rocked and rolled through the story in 20 hours of Nerf mode last year until the Institute revolutionary synth plotline, but I got bored.

Survival mode is a different game. The only weapon I carry most of the time is a legendary wounding suppressed .308 rifle with a night vision scope, named Go Quiet and now I'm debating putting a mob with a missile launcher on a guardpost to help hold The Castle. I use the power armor as little as possible.

Rinkles posted:

Neat new Menze Vault Boy, courtesy of Avellone. (Menze's VB's original creator)

Nice. That is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing. Happy Holidays!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Namaer posted:

Kellog is the protagonist of a much better game. It's a shame the game forces you to kill him and goes nowhere with the whole "is Nick actually Kellog now?"
Kellog would've been a cool human companion that has no morales like Strong(?) and the Robot Butler. It's been a minute since I last played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah and when I go up into the hills, it says [You cannot go this way].

What is stopping you from modding the game for an alternate start?

• Locked thread