Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

fit em all up in there posted:

Take a shot every time they say wizard king

i have an actual set of rules on standby, if anybody wants them

other than the Short & Simple Ruleset, which is just "Drink constantly"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Good thing he's a failure

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Crabtree posted:

NOW EVEN THE loving DIALOGUE IS REPEATING ITSELF.

"So why let him compete?"

"Well he asked so what else am I to do?"

hell is real

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rudoku posted:

Everyone in this story is a dick.

This is a world of magic users.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I sorta feel bad because they poo poo so hard on this kid but any sympathy I have for him evaporates the moment he opens his mouth.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You know, lovely as this show may be, I appreciate that the protag's unnecessarily giant sword looks heavy instead of him just swinging it around like it's a feather.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The main character looks like they put a list of every shounen protagonist traits in a computer and this is what it spat out.

I'm not even sure what to say about the rival boy. He... has messy hair.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like, as bad a writer as Rowling is, she at least was able to write Dumbledore with nuance in his character.

Dime Store Greybeard here doesn't even have that going for him, it looks like.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This sure is like Naruto, if Naruto didn't have a ton of charming side characters that were established really early on

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Argus Zant posted:

i have an actual set of rules on standby, if anybody wants them

other than the Short & Simple Ruleset, which is just "Drink constantly"

:justpost:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Luffy doesn't care about being the Pirate King as much as this kid cares about being Grand Dragon.

JT Jag posted:

This sure is like Naruto, if Naruto didn't have a ton of charming side characters that were established really early on

It's like Naruto if Naruto was the quality of its last 300 chapters from the get-go.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Like, as bad a writer as Rowling is, she at least was able to write Dumbledore with nuance in his character.

Dime Store Greybeard here doesn't even have that going for him, it looks like.

This is his last episode he is not important.

Momomo posted:

I'm not even sure what to say about the rival boy. He... has messy hair.

As we see later. (If the Anime learns to speed up) He is a competitive dork. Who takes things more seriously then Asta.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Take it back Tom

What we all wanted was more DBZ Marathons

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Oh hey, it's a marathon I might watch

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, SasukeYuno even wins a footrace against the kid who does nothing but physical training all day? Hax, I call hax.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not even chapter 2. The events of this episode are pure filler from what I know. We should already be at the Magic Knight exam.

What even is this anime?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

TwoPair posted:

Man, SasukeYuno even wins a footrace against the kid who does nothing but physical training all day? Hax, I call hax.

he just got better grimoire lootboxs

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

As we see later. (If the Anime learns to speed up) He is a competitive dork. Who takes things more seriously then Asta.

I just meant his design not being particularly memorable. He's just a dude with a black sweater and messy hair right now.

edit: I hate the marathons but I am at least up for a Cowboy Beboy one since this run is my first time watching it.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

JT Jag posted:

The only charming character until Rock Lee and Might Guy appeared was Kakashi. Shikamaru didn't become cool until the Chunin exams.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What even is this anime?

At chapter 8 11 episodes in. Way way too slow paced for it's series which was praised for it's quick pacing.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Funky Valentine posted:

Luffy doesn't care about being the Pirate King as much as this kid cares about being Grand Dragon.

Luffy has auxiliary goals:

1) Travel the world and see all kinds of weird poo poo
2) Make lots of friends
3) Fight strong dudes
4) Eat tasty food

Like, that seems obvious, but it means he has poo poo he can focus on besides his overriding goal, and really the Pirate King thing is ultimately just so he has an actual goal to justify his Excellent Adventure towards.

This kid seems to have:

1) BECOME WIZARD KING !!!
2) MARRY NUN, MAYBE !!!
3) ??? ...! ! !

Enthralling

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rudoku posted:

The only charming character until Rock Lee and Might Guy appeared was Kakashi. Shikamaru didn't become cool until the Chunin exams.

We meet the charming characters at like episode 5 and 6. Who despite the slow pacing are still charming and fun.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

The main character looks like they put a list of every shounen protagonist traits in a computer and this is what it spat out.

Computer, could we add some 4d3d3d?

*Asta begins screaming*

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Kerning Chameleon posted:

1) BECOME WIZARD KING !!!
2) MARRY NUN, MAYBE !!!
3) ??? ...! ! !

Enthralling

4.BEAT MY RIVAL WHICH MEANS BECOME THE WIZARD KING

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
5) DO ANYTHING

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

4.BEAT MY RIVAL WHICH MEANS BECOME THE WIZARD KING

His Rival has the same motives minus marrying the Nun. (I think.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Could we get some loving dialogue from this guy that isn't "I'LL BECOME THE WIZARD KING!!!!!11"?

Even Naruto didn't talk about being Hokage 24/7 in Part 1, holy poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Dude this kid is a real prick.

e: Oh never mind, he's just a 50 year old cynical man who thinks he can't rise above his station in life trapped in a kid's body I guess

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So the main character literally cannot use magic in a world where everyone can, and everyone makes fun of him. Isn't that the equivalent of making fun of a special needs kid?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"This is your home BECAUSE YOUR A loving WORTHLESS NO MAGIC SQUIB FAILURE WHO WILL DIE MISERABLE AND ALONE."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

this priest is an awful father figure

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Also, it's been three episodes and the "Nun summons a fist of water to punch the MC" gag isn't any funnier than it was the first time.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

All the potatoes you can eat

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
po tay toes

high point of the show so far

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Not helping this shitshow is that every support character who isn't the nun treats Asta like absolute garbage.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

So the main character literally cannot use magic in a world where everyone can, and everyone makes fun of him. Isn't that the equivalent of making fun of a special needs kid?

Well everyone shits on Naruto for being bad at ninja stuff and housing the demon that killed the village constantly.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So did they basically just put in a filler episode of everyone bagging on the lead and saying he'll fail?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
or if you fail I'll just be depressed and it's all your fault

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

All the potatoes you can eat

The Patatoes are also crap in this town too. This is like a horrible town in the middle of nowhere with nothing but poo poo in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The village didn't rag on Rock Lee this much.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Patatoes are also crap in this town too. This is like a horrible town in the middle of nowhere with nothing but poo poo in it.

Including the people.

• Locked thread