Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What kind of car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

2006 Mitsubishi evo 9

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
My car is a 2010 RAV4 Sport V6, just hit 100k on the odometer

My front right wheel was making some rotational noise so I took it in, figured it was the wheel bearing. Shop took a look and quoted me for:
* Replace both front wheel bearings, $1600
* Replace lower control arm (control arm bushings worn/loose) $1800
* Replace front struts & insulators (insulators are torn, struts fills weak) $1600
* Replace water pump (leaking) $780

I was thinking about getting a new car, went and test drove a bunch today but didn't really find anything I really liked. The RAV4 has been great, love the size and the V6. I don't put a lot of miles on it so the lackluster gas mileage hasn't been a big deal. What do you guys think?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
JFC those prices!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Those prices are really high and I would shop around. Or just replace the front hub thats grinding for $125 using an skf hub assembly from rock auto.

Out of curiosity are those toyota dealer prices?

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

ROFLburger posted:

timing belt skipped, have a question

this morning I tried to start the car and I heard some loud pops while cranking and it wouldn't start. I took the timing cover off and noticed the timing had skipped because there was a good bit of play on one side of the belt. What is the proper procedure for diagnosing valve damage? Should the head be removed and inspected, or would a new timing kit and a passing leakdown test be suitable?

You may be able to get away with a new belt and compression/leakdown test since it wasn't spinning that fast when it skipped but no guarantees. You could try retiming using the existing belt first to test it and if it works then get a new belt so you aren't out any money if a valve is hosed. I'm also not an expert and none of my cars are interference or even close to that new so keep that in mind.

Also further update on the Turismo if anyone cares, the steering rack is in and I patched the exhaust so after I fix the carb it'll be drivable, maybe not road worthy but drivable. Also I thought the previous owner took out the cat internals, nope they were deposited in the muffler for safe keeping.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 17, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

wesleywillis posted:

I hope its not the switch, it would probably be difficult to pull apart the steering column.

Actually it's almost certainly dead simple. Maybe a couple of screws for the plastic cover, probably just "snap-tite" construction. The switch is probably attached with ~4 screws plus the plug.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

fletcher posted:

My front right wheel was making some rotational noise so I took it in, figured it was the wheel bearing. Shop took a look and quoted me for:
* Replace front struts & insulators (insulators are torn, struts fills weak) $1600

I was thinking about getting a new car, went and test drove a bunch today but didn't really find anything I really liked. The RAV4 has been great, love the size and the V6. I don't put a lot of miles on it so the lackluster gas mileage hasn't been a big deal. What do you guys think?

Did you, by chance, gently caress the shop owner's daughter in the rear end on the first date and never call her again?

Tell them they're full of poo poo and not to touch anything. Get the wheel bearing done elsewhere, by a shop that isn't trying to buy a new boat for every employee. FWIW, my mother had both lower control arms replaced, AND the front struts, strut mounts, etc, for less than what they're quoting you for wheel bearings alone, by a shop that specializes in Toyota and Honda. The struts they used were OEM (which is KYB).

Find a locally owned shop, preferably one that specializes in Japanese imports. They'll be a little more expensive than the shops that just slap parts on, but they know their poo poo, and usually won't try to rip you off. Check yelp for the ones that average 4+ stars (the one my mother used has a solid 5 star rating on Yelp, and I've known the owner for 20 years).

ROFLburger posted:

timing belt skipped, have a question

this morning I tried to start the car and I heard some loud pops while cranking and it wouldn't start. I took the timing cover off and noticed the timing had skipped because there was a good bit of play on one side of the belt. What is the proper procedure for diagnosing valve damage? Should the head be removed and inspected, or would a new timing kit and a passing leakdown test be suitable?

A borescope would be your best bet. Remove the spark plugs, insert camera, look for signs of impact on the pistons. Unfortunately, it is an interference engine, but the compression is only 8.8:1, so you may have gotten lucky.

New timing kit and passing compression + leakdown would also be a good way to check, but a borescope is less work (in case you wind up having to pull the head), and pretty cheap. Harbor Freight has them, Amazon has them too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 17, 2017

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

fletcher posted:

The RAV4 V6 is one of the fastest toyotas. Seriously 269hp and AWD? O I I'm going to buy a used one since they don't make them with the V6 anymore.

SO: what you need is a second opinion. Don't pre-sell yourself to the shop. Just go in and say it's making a noise. It might not even be a wheel bearing - it could just be the brake dust shield scraping the rotor! Both wheel bearings being bad at the same time seems far fetched to me.
There are independent mechanics in some towns that specialize specifically in Toyotas or imports. There's one in my city (colorado springs) called Toy Tech. Try one of those.

Control arm bushings are one of those things mechanics get you with. EVERY single control arm bushing will appear all cracked up when the car is on the lift, no weight on the wheels. They are made of rubber. Are they ACTUALLY torn? There's gotta be a really obviously visible cut in the rubber. Does the wheel have play because of it? Is it affecting the alignment? Doubt it!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spazz posted:

I picked up a dash camera and I want to wire it in directly to free up my cigarette lighter and also make use of the power meter that shuts off if the battery voltage is low. I was talking to someone at a shop and they said that using a fuse tap is a bad idea. I was told I have two options - wiring into the ignition switch under the dash or directly to the battery.

Which is the recommended way? I need to replace a bulb or two under my dash anyway so ripping that out would be advantageous, but it sounds like more work than running it from the battery.

2006 Ford Ranger for reference.

The Ranger interior is hilariously easy to disassemble, so there's that. I cut and spliced the wires leading up to one of the power points on my '98 so that I could a) convert it to being triggered by a relay using the head unit amp power on signal instead of always on, and b) hard wire in a phone charger and dashcam power. There's tons of room to do the job right with some nice heatshrink butt crimps.

Otherwise, the add-a-circuit bits that plug in place of a fuse are perfectly fine.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Geoj posted:

They might have been thinking "fuse tap" would mean wrapping a bare wire around a leg of the fuse. If you use an add a circuit you retain the fuse you're tapping the power from and the device being powered is also fused. Really can't think of any reason to not do it this way unless the device needs more power than you'd usually run through the in cabin fuse box.

0toShifty posted:

Agreeing with this. The best advantage of the add a circuit is that you're not modifying or cutting factory wiring.

That was my thought too - it sounded incredibly risky (to me) to cut into the ignition power line like that. At least if something is wrong I can pop the circuit out and not have to take apart and splice wiring to undo my work. I'd almost rather run it right off the battery and run the line through the firewall under the dash.

I just need to find the circuit adapters for my car - AutoZone didn't have the mini ones for my truck.

Thanks again. You all are always so kind when I ask stupid questions.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Godholio posted:

Actually it's almost certainly dead simple. Maybe a couple of screws for the plastic cover, probably just "snap-tite" construction. The switch is probably attached with ~4 screws plus the plug.

I hope thats all it is, though I did replace the motor anyway. There appeared to be no relay for the wipers. I also checked on some Toyota forums, and a few people have had to replaced the motor, but not the switch.
Also, I got my brother to pick up a new motor at the junkyard the other day, (and deliver it to my job site) and he didn't even take money for it. Said it was my birthday present. Hell yeah! Thanks bro!

Now, I guess we'll see if the problem persists......

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Two things. A: Mediocre Chinese borescopes have never been cheaper. They’re almost disposable, now.

B: Interference engines designed and produced with a wear-item timing belt should be a mandatory death sentence for the powertrain engineers.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I drive a 2006 Hyundai Tucson, and it's been pretty solid so far. Recently I noticed that my steering was getting a bit rough at times, so I checked the power steering reservoir. It was kind of low, so I bought a bottle of Lucas Power Steering fluid, and added that in. Seemed to work okay, but then it started acting like I had no power steering at all - super hard to turn the wheel. I checked again, and it appeared that *all* my fluid was gone. Topped up again with the remainder of the Lucas, and within 10 minutes of driving, I'd lost all power steering again.

Upon the recommendation of a mechanic friend, I added some Stop Leak, also by Lucas. It is still vomiting everything out. My friend told me it's the pump, and is ordering one for me. Could it be something else as well? It leaks constantly now, and I really need my car. Am I going to break it worse if I drive it? Apart from being a drat workout to turn corners, it's drivable. Doesn't seem to be a problem to drive the freeway, changing lanes is no issue.

Have I used the wrong products? Did I screw up by putting in fluid? I can't help but feel that if I'd left it alone, I wouldn't have to fight the car to make 90° turns.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Where is it vomiting out of?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
As near as I can tell, it lines up with the reservoir. As it is now after dark, I can't really check to be more specific right now - I'm moving house and everything is boxed up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TwystNeko posted:

I drive a 2006 Hyundai Tucson, and it's been pretty solid so far. Recently I noticed that my steering was getting a bit rough at times, so I checked the power steering reservoir. It was kind of low, so I bought a bottle of Lucas Power Steering fluid, and added that in. Seemed to work okay, but then it started acting like I had no power steering at all - super hard to turn the wheel. I checked again, and it appeared that *all* my fluid was gone. Topped up again with the remainder of the Lucas, and within 10 minutes of driving, I'd lost all power steering again.

Upon the recommendation of a mechanic friend, I added some Stop Leak, also by Lucas. It is still vomiting everything out. My friend told me it's the pump, and is ordering one for me. Could it be something else as well? It leaks constantly now, and I really need my car. Am I going to break it worse if I drive it? Apart from being a drat workout to turn corners, it's drivable. Doesn't seem to be a problem to drive the freeway, changing lanes is no issue.

Have I used the wrong products? Did I screw up by putting in fluid? I can't help but feel that if I'd left it alone, I wouldn't have to fight the car to make 90° turns.

Stop Leak will help with pinhole leaks and worn seals, but if you've got a broken hose or connector or other major failure it's not going to do anything. You did nothing wrong, there's just something significant broken that needs to get fixed.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Am I going to make things worse if I keep driving? If it just means I have to fight the car, Ill have to deal with it. This comes at the worst possible time, and I kind of need transportation. Public transit isn't really an option.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I wouldn't advise driving it without fluid for long as you may kill the power steering pump/sieze it if it is that bad.

However I believe the Tucsons of that year have a dedicated power steering pump belt, and removing it would allow you to drive around with unassisted steering pretty harmlessly if you're comfortable with such a thing until you can get it fixed.

Also seconding stop leak is fine for tiny leaks, just don't dump a bunch in there and it's pretty harmless. Large amounts of it can gum up pumps and coat the inside of coolers making them not work as well but I doubt you put that much in.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 18, 2017

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Well, I managed to drag a floor lamp out to the car, and while I can see a puddle under the car, I can't find an obvious source of the leak. I put more fluid in, and it was slowly draining out. As soon as I started the car, it was gone, but the puddle was no bigger.

Cranking the wheel back and forth, it seems to kick in intermittently. I'm not sure what else there is that I can do. Part of the problem is theres a lot of spilled fluid from me fumbling earlier. I'm going to take it to a wand wash, and try and clean it out, then see if I can spot a fresh leak.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

When a steering system is dry for any reason they will suck a lot of fluid before the reservoir starts holding anything while it's running.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
Hello, I have a (very) stupid question. My boyfriend hit a pothole this morning and dented one of his wheels (I wasn't there so I haven't seen it), resulting in a flat. Unfortunately since it's alloy and not steel I can't just hammer it back into shape, so we've gotta get a replacement. I want to go to a u-pull it salvage yard, but I don't know whether I can get any 17" alloy wheel or if I need one from his make & model (2007 Mazda 6). HA;LP :saddowns:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Britt Burns posted:

Hello, I have a (very) stupid question. My boyfriend hit a pothole this morning and dented one of his wheels (I wasn't there so I haven't seen it), resulting in a flat. Unfortunately since it's alloy and not steel I can't just hammer it back into shape, so we've gotta get a replacement. I want to go to a u-pull it salvage yard, but I don't know whether I can get any 17" alloy wheel or if I need one from his make & model (2007 Mazda 6). HA;LP :saddowns:

You need one with the same specs - bolt pattern, offset, wheel width, etc.

It appears to be a 17” wheel, 7” width, 60mm offset, 114.3 bolt pattern BUT double check the current wheel.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You need one with the same specs - bolt pattern, offset, wheel width, etc.

It appears to be a 17” wheel, 7” width, 60mm offset, 114.3 bolt pattern BUT double check the current wheel.

Thank you!! Is there a website where I can search out which cars have wheels with those specs?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Britt Burns posted:

Thank you!! Is there a website where I can search out which cars have wheels with those specs?

What's wrong with searching for a similar year Mazda 6 so the wheel will match the others? You can probably call the lots and ask. They should know their inventory.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Britt Burns posted:

Car-part.com

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a site with long-term reliability reports for cars by trim (or at least by drivetrain?)

It seems like a lot of “long term reliability” is 3 years, which is less than helpful when the newest car I’m looking at is from 2010. Dashboard-Light has failures by year and average mileage and everything, but it just has it for the entire model, not manual vs automatic, I4 vs V6, or most importantly for me:hybrid.

I think Consumer Reports might do that, but I don’t have a membership.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a site with long-term reliability reports for cars by trim (or at least by drivetrain?)

It seems like a lot of “long term reliability” is 3 years, which is less than helpful when the newest car I’m looking at is from 2010. Dashboard-Light has failures by year and average mileage and everything, but it just has it for the entire model, not manual vs automatic, I4 vs V6, or most importantly for me:hybrid.

Best thing I know of: https://www.edmunds.com/tco.html

Consumer Reports sucks anyway.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I don't think any particular site does a great job for older cars, especially if you want drivetrain specific info. I've found the best way to get information about a model is to go to the model's specific forum (or even reddit) and see what people are complaining about. The less reliable models will generally have more/worse problems posted although this is quite time consuming if you don't know what you want.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

$Texas.

I mean not really but ugh I hated doing that job. Seriously one of my least favorite repairs ever. The lower arm is basically one giant pinch clamp around the bottom of the strut, and I had an absolute bear of a time getting the arm low enough to release / take the strut, without popping the CV joint apart. As in, I completely failed at doing that on the driver's side.

I would absolutely plan on replacing every related component while you're in there - bump stops, strut mounts/ bearings.

Thank you!

Grand total:

- Koni FSD set, $580
- Strut mounts & bearings, $50 x 2 (old bearings were busted and held together by hopes & dreams)
- Labor, $430

The front right strut had been completely blown. That would explain that side's tendency to bottom out easily. Handling certainly feels better.

New question! With the new shocks, now there are squeaking/clunking noises at low speeds going over bumps, seemingly from all 4 wheels. This is described on the internets as a sway bar bushings problem, but the shop guys said they removed the sway bar and the noise was still there when they drove it, so they were mystified (maybe they only removed one of the sway bars and they both produce this sound though?) I think the sound had been there before but very much less pronounced.

Everything feels solid so I'm not concerned, but it would be nice to get rid of the noise. Any ideas where it's from?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Does it make any noise if you push down on it and let it bounce back up?

My first thought is that something wasn't tightened.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'm going through the same thing. Front all replaced by me (nearly everything - didn't do idler arm/draglink or coil rubber mounts), rear (as needed - not everything) replaced by a shop.
The rear is squeaky as, though they didn't do the rear shocks (I think they were OK IMO), but it didn't squeak before. (E: just realised that's probably the new RTAB urethane kmacs :lol: but anyway, the front right knock still bothers me)
The front right has a knock when hitting bumps, it's always had this and it stayed even after I replaced struts, control arms, swaybar links and tie rods. Doesn't knock when I'm bouncing it up and down on the spot and I can't feel anything loose, but a definite knock when hitting a bump in the road.

Like you I assumed sway bar bushes, but I never replaced mine because mine look fine - no wear visible almost look newish. Have a look at yours, they are very easy to inpect.
Best guess for mine is either strut collar or top strut mount maybe or the rubber coil spring mounts (which I didn't replace because I couldn't get them in time)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 19, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

TrueDelta is decent for this.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Deteriorata posted:

What's wrong with searching for a similar year Mazda 6 so the wheel will match the others? You can probably call the lots and ask. They should know their inventory.

Thanks for all of the help, guys! It turns out that the u-pull-it I was looking at was much farther away than I thought it was ( :v: ); thankfully, my dad reminded me of a closer salvage lot that I could try. I called them yesterday, and they had several wheels that would work! I went there this morning and left with a wheel from a Mazda3 and a new (to me) tire to the tune of $75, all balanced and fancy-like. I'm thrilled with how it ended up, and I'll definitely check with them first next time I need something :)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I slid into a curb today while going around a roundabout due to snow/ice. Wasn't going terribly fast but my right front wheel hit the highest part of the curb basically right on the wheel's side. Noticed a pull to the right immediately, and there's a rhythmic low pitched sort of hum-hum-hum while driving which gets faster as roadspeed increases. Booked an alignment for tomorrow morning - hopefully it's nothing more serious?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
That kind of impact could have damaged the wheel bearing. Does the pulsing hum get worse if you turn in one direction and decrease when you turn in the opposite direction?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I didn't notice a change in it, but also didn't drive more than a few blocks before taking the car home and parking it

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Easily could have bent a tie rod or something, I'd tell the shop what happened and let them diagnose. If you just ask for an alignment, and they do that but there's other damage, you may have to pay for them to do another alignment after the repairs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also does the car track more or less straight, can you feel the steering wheel pulsing in time with the noise and/or does the steering wheel try to pull one way or the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
1988 Ford F150 oil leak update:

I think I fixed my leak! I replaced the oil pan gasket and used a shitload more RTV than needed, but I just drove it around my neighborhood for 10 minutes and when I checked underneath when I got home, there wasn't even so much as a drop! It's a Christmas miracle!

It's still not 100% yet though. I had to cut my stress test short because it dies when idling now. I noticed while messing around right above the distributor cap that one of the plug wires wasn't on right, so I pushed it back on but it wouldn't stay on. So I pulled the rubber boot off, bent around on the connector and put the boot back on, but it still wasn't making a solid connection. I got a new set of cables, but haven't put them on yet. Oh, and the exhaust leaks like crazy where the pipes fit against the manifolds because the sliding flanges are all bent to poo poo. I need to order some split flanges and cut off the old ones.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with my oil leak. My truck better run like a unicorn after all the work I've put into it.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 19, 2017