Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
code:
git config --global alias.git '!exec git'
code:
$ git sha
cc9c642663c0b63fba3964297c13ce9b61209313

$ git git sha

$ git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git sha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

learn to interactive rebase u scrubs

i think half of my commits have v. useful names like 'pisssssssssss'

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tfw u make a git and the id is just a repeating string of teh weed number

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Valeyard posted:

people leaving merge conflict chevrons in their commits is ownage

people actually approving this during code """""""""""""reviews"""""""""""" is even more ownage

i am afraid that git ui is not the problem

diff chevrons are a lot older than dvcs

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i just git checkout master and then git checkout -b branchImMaking

maybe im basic but when i try other ways i break things

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
we use svn at work, but i keep local git repos so i can branch and try poo poo without loving up stuff i've already started which isn't actually ready to commit. seems to work well enough

well that's my vcs story

also react brings some semblance of order to webdev which i didn't know i craved and now i'm worried i might be some kind of software crypto-fascist

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

also react brings some semblance of order to webdev which i didn't know i craved and now i'm worried i might be some kind of software crypto-fascist

yeah i've developed an appreciation for react and webpack over the past few months

typescript, too. i use it for a couple npm packages that i might not have bothered to maintain without it

still got "gently caress angular" written on my headband, tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

we use svn at work, but i keep local git repos so i can branch and try poo poo without loving up stuff i've already started which isn't actually ready to commit. seems to work well enough

seems like a good use of git to me!

git-svn is good

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

St Evan Echoes posted:

tfw your dipshit coworker does a push -f on a branch you’re both working on
That's why the Good Lord gave us chanclas.

cis autodrag posted:

Nah, it's a solid workflow. It's a bit of a pain when the pendulum swings too far the other direction from a monorepo, but that's the release manager's problem.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Brain Candy posted:

:pisstape: :pisstape: :pisstape:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Brain Candy posted:

I once got into trouble for including the poop emoji in all of my commit messages.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Peeny Cheez posted:

I once got into trouble for including the poop emoji in all of my commit messages.

I've caused some confusion when putting a double exclamation mark in my commit messages because apparently Bash does something extremely surprising with double exclamation marks which I've never quite figured out. All I know is backslash escaping them does the wrong thing.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Doom Mathematic posted:

I've caused some confusion when putting a double exclamation mark in my commit messages because apparently Bash does something extremely surprising with double exclamation marks which I've never quite figured out. All I know is backslash escaping them does the wrong thing.
Double bangs are substituted with the last command run.

The only way I remember to avoid that is using single quotes instead of double.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

reviewed a pr yesterday where one of the commit messages was “Rebased”

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
commit messages should include the last three entries in the reflog plus the command line invocation that resulted in the commit message

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Brain Candy posted:

sadly i agree with this. it's just that it's also the only way it makes sense

knowing this and understanding this turns your google searches from wondering wtf to do to googling how to poke the cli (or whatever) into doing what you want

if only it also tracked the filesystem hierarchy so it could support empty directories

and tracked moves & renames rather than trying to deduce them

but neither of these will ever change because Linus, just like git had terribly broken Unicode filename support for a long time because Linus

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Valeyard posted:

ive been in current job for ugh... 2 years and 3 months since leaving uni

wondering when its time for a change

I’ve been in current job for a few months short of 14 years and it owns

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

I’ve taken to checking out the tag for the installed (daily) build of the thing I work on to start my branch

then if my branch lives multiple days I do a merge from the next daily build’s tag after I install it, etc. so what I’m working on is a strict superset of what I have installed

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

honestly the most annoying part of my workflow is just how many different places i have to know how to use

I got one or two “small enough to just keep up with master whenever changes come in” projects, plus “huge but in git with modern practices” but it’s split across open and closed repos, and “absolutely gigantic and stuck in home-rolled vcs from the early 90s but managed locally by git so I can have some semblance of organization”

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tps:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
:drat:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

I’ve taken to checking out the tag for the installed (daily) build of the thing I work on to start my branch

then if my branch lives multiple days I do a merge from the next daily build’s tag after I install it, etc. so what I’m working on is a strict superset of what I have installed

We don't have daily builds so we just pile things in master until we cut a new version.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if there was a modern reinterpretation of the labor of Sisyphus then it would be a man trying to teach his colleagues how to loving use git properly

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sapozhnik posted:

If there was a modern reinterpretation of the labor of Sisyphus then it would be a man trying to teach his colleagues how to loving use git properly.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i have not yet encountered someone who was worth paying to write code, but unable to learn git

even the ones who run screaming at the sight of a command prompt have so far proven capable of using a gui without destroying months of work or setting themselves on fire

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, I really dont understand all that git hate/difficulties that come up in this thread so often

I been using git for years. Is much much better than svn

I do:

git add -A
git commit -m "stuff I did"
git push origin blabla
git pull origin blabla
git checkout -b featurex
git merge featurex
..etc etc

I never had a single problem that wanst caused by my own stupidity, never lost a line of code because of git. It works, it does what's supposed to, and its what everyone uses

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Elias_Maluco posted:

never lost a line of code because of git. It works, it does what's supposed to, and its what everyone uses

also it's terrible

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, I really dont understand all that git hate/difficulties that come up in this thread so often

I been using git for years. Is much much better than svn

I do:

git add -A
git commit -m "stuff I did"
git push origin blabla
git pull origin blabla
git checkout -b featurex
git merge featurex
..etc etc

I never had a single problem that wanst caused by my own stupidity, never lost a line of code because of git. It works, it does what's supposed to, and its what everyone uses

stockholm syndrome

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cis autodrag posted:

We don't have daily builds so we just pile things in master until we cut a new version.

what’s the benefit of doing dailies? I’ve only seen continuous builds where it’s running one all the time, and the iteration driver is the last green full build of the iteration (possibly obtained by locking the stream and stabilizing it if a few problem tests are failing)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

what’s the benefit of doing dailies? I’ve only seen continuous builds where it’s running one all the time, and the iteration driver is the last green full build of the iteration (possibly obtained by locking the stream and stabilizing it if a few problem tests are failing)

if your integration test suite takes eight hours it's nice to know approximately when results are expected, so everyone can be on-hand to fix anything broken in master / HEAD

additionally if other software groups depend on your package, it's unlikely that they will wish to update more than once a day, or have the snapshot change underneath them during their eight hour integration

you may also have continuous integration but the "daily" build is gonna serve an important purpose nevertheless

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
git's the only thing i've ever used and i'm good with that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

carry on then posted:

is your system producing a single deliverable product? how many independent components is it built from?

I work on a large product with contributions from a large number of teams, not something that lives in a single repository and builds a single executable, so daily builds provide a useful synchronization point for everyone

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
git's UX is garbage. git checkout is used to change branches, but also to reset a file. But reset is for a repository. Listing all of something might use a -v or -a depending on the context, likewise deleting stuff might use rm or -d. You don't even get the same help results when you use -h vs --help. The staging area is an unnecessary hoop to jump through for many people and for legacy reasons there are confusingly named options like git diff --cached to view the staging area. And then there's the whole "detached head" thing which elicits a giant "HUH?!" when it's first encountered.

Edit: more eloquently stated in http://stevelosh.com/blog/2013/04/git-koans/

minato fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 17, 2017

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

minato posted:

git's UX is garbage. git checkout is used to change branches, but also to reset a file. But reset is for a repository. Listing all of something might use a -v or -a depending on the context, likewise deleting stuff might use rm or -d. You don't even get the same help results when you use -h vs --help. The staging area is an unnecessary hoop to jump through for many people and for legacy reasons there are confusingly named options like git diff --cached to view the staging area. And then there's the whole "detached head" thing which elicits a giant "HUH?!" when it's first encountered.

Edit: more eloquently stated in http://stevelosh.com/blog/2013/04/git-koans/

agreed

but the subset of git you actually need to know is so tiny that it doesn’t matter. any more than it matters, say, that a handful of common English verbs have totally different grammar to all the rest. you just learn the weird poo poo and get on with your life.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im fine with git, but actually preferred subversion tbh

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
when we used subversion, nobody ever complained about having "subversion problems" in their day to day work

"git problems" on the other hand is rampant

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Valeyard posted:

when we used subversion, nobody ever complained about having "subversion problems" in their day to day work
I find this difficult to believe

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Valeyard posted:

nah we called them conflicts

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

“i renamed a file without jumping through svn’s hoops, better throw away the repo and start again”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Valeyard posted:

lol
just lol

• Locked thread