Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I have no idea what you're wearing but I need it so please tell me.

Plague bringer's coat. It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Nessus posted:

Oh, was I not supposed to be doing that? I was just plowing in my cactpot winnings really

I mean, do what you want 'cause it's your MGP to spend.

But if you're racing Bo's in order to climb the Chocobo Jockey ladder then you're mostly racing for the XP and all you really care about is First-Third place or the pity bonus on the actual results of that race.
Grade 3 feed helps you win more but here's the thing: you can buy 2x Grade 2's for less than the price of a single Grade 3. And since winning is relatively not that big of a deal it begs the question of 'why spend all that extra MGP when you don't need it?'
Especially when you're just gonna retire that bird as soon as possible.

If you're answer is 'I like winning' or 'I don't care about mounts/triad cards and thus have a million mgp to blow' then good on ya.

Edit: Quick napkin math here:

40x 610 for grade 2 feed = 24,400 MGP
40x 1345 for grade 3 feed = 53,800 MGP.

You could train up 2 Bo's on grade 2 feed for a bit less than what it takes if you just use grade 3's. Since you'll be training somewhere around 10-20 Bo's that adds up fast.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 17, 2017

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
My server sucks and my fc seems dead should I transfer to Excalibur

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

ArtIsResistance posted:

Yes.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Yes

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Okay I'm sure this has been asked 500 times in the thread but which goon fc has the most handsome men ty

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

DGKK has Baph, the most handsome man in the whole wide world.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I made more glamour shots because I have a problem. I'm not even 70 on RDM yet. Please send help.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Only buy MGP feeds for your final chocobo or you'll burn all your winnings.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Is there a hard and fast number at which to start inbreeding birds?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I made more glamour shots because I have a problem. I'm not even 70 on RDM yet. Please send help.

Ha. Ha. I pretty much use this game as a /gpose simulator with a video game attached to be honest.

Speaking of which, I finally quit messing around and got my Paladin up to 70. Time for job quests! Eventually!

I'm curious, should I be spamming Holy Spirit as much as possible once I have solid aggro, unless I need to weave an oGCD in or there's 4 or more mobs? And on a related note, should I use Request Cat at full MP for the 20% boost to Holy Spirit and Clemency, or at low MP for the increased potency?

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 17, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Ha. Ha. I pretty much use this game as a /gpose simulator with a video game attached to be honest.

Speaking of which, I finally quit messing around and got my Paladin up to 70. Time for job quests! Eventually!

I'm curious, should I be spamming Holy Spirit as much as possible once I have solid aggro, unless I need to weave an oGCD in or there's 4 or more mobs? And on a related note, should I use Request Cat at full MP for the 20% boost to Holy Spirit and Clemency, or at low MP for the increased potency?

Requiescat's potency increases the more MP you have. Ideally what you want to do is Requiescat near the end of a GCD with full MP, then fire off all your Holy Spirits. Don't Holy Spirit outside of a Requiescat window, because that means you might not be at full MP again in time for the next one.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

/gpose is the single best feature added to any MMO and speaks volumes about how much the dev team actually understand and play their own games.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Also, the underappreciated Pause/Break to look directly at the camera.

I feel like WoW putting in a selfie camera was part of some kind of continued one-upsmanship with FFXIV.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If I've never played a melee DPS class in any game before, am I gonna hate SAM? I don't really want to do RDM but I figure I ought to at least give the experience a go. I did level BLM up to 36 back in '15 but I got terminally bored and became a healer instead.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Nessus posted:

If I've never played a melee DPS class in any game before, am I gonna hate SAM? I don't really want to do RDM but I figure I ought to at least give the experience a go. I did level BLM up to 36 back in '15 but I got terminally bored and became a healer instead.

Samurai is interesting the first time you play it and the amount of DPS you can do compared to other comparable melee DPSes is pretty silly, but it's a complete one trick pony. You will use your same rotation at level 50 to level 70, barring a few OGCDs and it gets boring and repetitive very quickly. They try to make it more interesting by turning the skills into positionals but it doesn't go down very well in practice. I personally would try ninja or monk as your first melee instead.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Said positionals also disappear in practice once you hit 62, because you're oozing kenki regardless if you do them.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
You still should do positionals past 62. If you're doing your rotation correctly you won't have excess kenki.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

As said, Requiescat > Holy Spirit is basically a form of burst every now and then. Ideally you want to weave in Requiescat right at the end of Fight or Flight (and after you refresh Goring Blade) and then go to Holy Spirit spam. Outside of its CD you just use your normal rotations.

I'm still not convinced they've gotten the Oath gauge down right (especially for Duty Roulette), but I guess that's a 'next expansion' thing.

Switching to another tank topic, how's the new Shake it Off for WARs?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Shake it off is great. It's just a superior form of Divine Veil. Easier to use (one skill vs two skills), way more powerful and on a shorter cooldown. It's basically a cracked out version of Divine Veil.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

paladin's DPS rotation is both simple and pretty inflexible.

assuming offtank (Because gently caress enmity combo's, yo) your rotation should look something like this:

Goring combo > Royal Auth combo > Royal Auth combo > Goring Combo > Requiescat > 5X Holy Spirit Spam > repeat

weave in buffs and ogcd's as your heart tells you. just remember that Fight or Flight does NOT boost Holy Spirit, so try to alternate between FoF phases and Req phases. in theory there is only a 15 second out of 45 second gap where you don't have some kinda damage buff going on.

also if anyone tells you to use your enmity combo tell them to go away. every time you don't use Riot Blade in your combo you gently caress up your MP regen unless you can get a bunch of sheltrons in. there is nothing more tragic than a flaccid requiescat phase.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's pretty good.

WAR still continues to suffer from not being able to do certain things without a target. Much as in the same vein as Holmgang, Inner Beast is such a cheap and easy way to get extra mileage out of Shake, but because IB requires a target, you may not always have it up when you need it.

Furthermore, at this point, WAR's only weakness seems to be an inability to build Beast Gauge on an AoE basis.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Samael posted:

Samurai is interesting the first time you play it and the amount of DPS you can do compared to other comparable melee DPSes is pretty silly, but it's a complete one trick pony. You will use your same rotation at level 50 to level 70, barring a few OGCDs and it gets boring and repetitive very quickly. They try to make it more interesting by turning the skills into positionals but it doesn't go down very well in practice. I personally would try ninja or monk as your first melee instead.

I started working on SAM as a break from finishing up WHM and BLM (because I don't remember how my lvl 50 DRG works...), when do the positionals start? I liked not really having to worry about that other than aiming cones for some of the aoe.

Also, I learned yesterday that if you have two or more wind up moogles together, they'll dance, as shown out of focus in this screenshot also featuring my recently fantasiad femroe.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

small bird pudding posted:

I started working on SAM as a break from finishing up WHM and BLM (because I don't remember how my lvl 50 DRG works...), when do the positionals start? I liked not really having to worry about that other than aiming cones for some of the aoe.

Also, I learned yesterday that if you have two or more wind up moogles together, they'll dance, as shown out of focus in this screenshot also featuring my recently fantasiad femroe.

The Calca and Brina minions do the same thing.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

World War Mammories posted:

I am being informed of how little I knew by my static friends as we speak and for gently caress's sake am I going to level a goddam dps job

It's not too bad speaking as someone who has 3 DPS to lvl 60+ and it's much easier now than before to get past the hurdles. I'd never go mad and recc'd every DPS to 70 but there's options!

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Around level 60+ I think. They make it so that if you do the positionals correctly, you get extra kenki which is used for your OGCDs more.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

World War Mammories posted:

I am being informed of how little I knew by my static friends as we speak and for gently caress's sake am I going to level a goddam dps job

Shantotto also originally showed up in Eorzea and gives you a Wind-Up Shantotto minion. Now you just buy it off of the MB.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Level 62 52 when you get the Enhanced Kenki trait. It gives you bonus kenki for hitting positionals on certain skills and unlike other classes you don't lose potency for missing them. Specifically this makes Gekko a rear and Kasha a flank.

EDIT: I got the two kenki traits backwards. :V Positionals exist basically from the start, the later trait just tacks on kenki to everything regardless.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 17, 2017

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Running Praetorium with goons.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I started working on SAM as a break from finishing up WHM and BLM (because I don't remember how my lvl 50 DRG works...), when do the positionals start?

The positionals start at 52, when you're introduced to the Kenki mechanic. Gekko (Moon Sen) gives you +5 if you do it from behind, and Kasha (Flower Sen) gives you +5 if you do it from the side. You also get five from Yukikaze (Snow Sen + Slash Debuff), Mangetsu (AOE Moon Sen), Oka (AOE Flower Sen), and Enpi (Ranged Attack). Ageha can also get you 10 when you use it, 30 if you score a killshot, but that only works if the enemy is at 25% health or less so I don't think it's remotely reliable.

You spend it on Kaiten (+50% power to next weaponskill for 20 Kenki), Gyoten (10 to dash in and attack), and Yaten (10 to jump back, do damage, and make Enpi 300 potency instead of 100).

Once you hit 62, you get Enhanced Kenki. All of your weaponskills give you five when you use them, on top of the stuff listed above, so Gekko is 5 if you blow the positional, 10 if you get it. And so on. At that level, you also get Shinten, which is just a 300 potency oGCD for 25 Kenki. Your skills from there are Kyuten (150 AOE for 25), Seigan (200 potency for 15, only doable after Merciful Eyes), Hagakure (eat Sen for 20 Kenki each on a 40 second cooldown), and finally Guren: 50 Kenki for a 10 yalm line of 800 potency to the first target, 75% of that to the second, 50% of that for every target thereafter, with a two minute cooldown.

Basically sub-50 your class is an incomplete pain in the rear end because you can't get all three Sen but you start at 50 so it's not too big a deal, 52-61 is "I get the occasional bit of Kenki but don't have a ton of poo poo to use it on anyway," 62+ is "Kenki comes in real fast but also goes out real fast."

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Hunter Noventa posted:

The Calca and Brina minions do the same thing.

I've tried to get 3 Brinas and 3 Calcas together to see if they turn into a teeny calcabrina but haven't quite managed to get enough people yet :v:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Just asking a few questions to make sure Im properly utilizing drk

1. Should I be spending blood gauge on anything other than bloodspiller/delirium in raids? Is it even worth it to single target quietus?
2. What role actions does everybody use? Right now I run rampart/provoke/reprisal/anticipation/shirk, is there something else about convalescence or something I'm missing?
3. Should I be using dark arts on Dark mind ever? (Additionally is there a list of magic damage sources because I sometimes feel like even against attacks that are clearly magic based dark mind does nothing)

Bonus question is there like a basic sch guide out there? I wanna make sure I understand the basics of that class before I take it any further

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

1. No and gently caress no.
2. I switch out for the silence thing in OS3, but it's not really needed.
3. No.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

Just asking a few questions to make sure Im properly utilizing drk

1. Should I be spending blood gauge on anything other than bloodspiller/delirium in raids? Is it even worth it to single target quietus?
2. What role actions does everybody use? Right now I run rampart/provoke/reprisal/anticipation/shirk, is there something else about convalescence or something I'm missing?
3. Should I be using dark arts on Dark mind ever? (Additionally is there a list of magic damage sources because I sometimes feel like even against attacks that are clearly magic based dark mind does nothing)

Bonus question is there like a basic sch guide out there? I wanna make sure I understand the basics of that class before I take it any further

1. No, Quietus only beats Bloodspiller at 3 or more targets.
2. Convalescence or Awareness over Anticipation, depending on the fight. Anticipation is just really really bad and Conv is better while Awareness is great against fights with auto crits like O3S and Shinryu EX.
3. Basically no. There's no way to really tell in game what's magic and what's physical. You just have to guess or check ACT.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

GuyUpNorth posted:

Said positionals also disappear in practice once you hit 62, because you're oozing kenki regardless if you do them.

Always do your drat positionals. The more shintens you can do, the better.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Another 70, another outfit.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Ibblebibble posted:

Another 70, another outfit.

Such is the world we live in.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I wanted to compare mine to yours so I looked, and we're about the same (4GB here between laptop and desktop with ~1500 files).

What worries me is the laptop has a creation date of ‎Saturday, ‎February ‎14, ‎2015, ‏‎1:26:27 AM and desktop is ‎Saturday, ‎November ‎21, ‎2015, ‏‎7:57:54 AM, which makes sense for when I started playing and once I built this desktop... but unless you're messing with the folders, then you've taken 1600 screen shots in like two and a half months :stare:

fe: Actually the dates on mine make sense but the timestamps don't because there's no chance in hell I was up at 7:57 AM on a Saturday to play a video game.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

WrightOfWay posted:

1. No, Quietus only beats Bloodspiller at 3 or more targets.
2. Convalescence or Awareness over Anticipation, depending on the fight. Anticipation is just really really bad and Conv is better while Awareness is great against fights with auto crits like O3S and Shinryu EX.

Figured as much on the first point. Is anticipation really that bad? I've been using convalescence on o1s for post charybdis use but an additional 30% chance to mitigate damage when you might not have the Mana for tbn or regular mitigation is on CD seems like it'd be at least ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

We (6 PCD members and two randos) got to the bottom of the hidden canals on our first try!

I don't mean to resurrect an old post, but is this Astro someone from PCD or one of the randos? I want to know which one of you decided to be me for Halloween.