Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Patreon canceled their fee change!
:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Moriatti posted:

I was just making this post because Star Trek: Frontiers was just a little too heavy gor some of my group haha.

It's not so much a gift idea as I am trying to figure out a good game to put our "very serious" Master Gamer belt under.
I'm way behind on the board game thread, but you could ask there if the new Fallout board game is any good. At a glance it seems to be in a similar vein, but a little less heavy if the BGG "weight" rating is anything to go by.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I may do that!

However:

Countblanc posted:

There's tons of good (or at least decent) board games for 1v1 squad skirmishes or larger battles, but if you're looking for customization for a single unit in a one-on-one fight, the only good one I can think of is the now-defunct (twice over) DBZ CCG. There's a healthy fan community with some people from the original playtest group still making fan content, and presumably the lack of official tournaments/support wouldn't bother you for what you're looking to do, so it's still a decent option.

e: Mage Wars is another decent choice.

The one from Panini or before that? What's the easiest way to get a hold of the cards? Ideally in draft-friendly formats.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project (last one for 2017 :toot:)

Mostly just some more info on what changes to expect in the next draft; if you like the idea of 13th Age-style Backgrounds, for your Knowledge skills, that's probably the one biggest change that isn't 100% going to make it in.

If this is something you would like to see implemented (or you generally have strong opinions on that method), please please please get ahold of me and let me know -- either in this thread, via forum PM, or on the TNP discord.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Panini game, yeah. It's actually the same game with a few tweaks as the original one, namely it introduced the Critical Damage mechanic and a few other minor changes (like all decks are exactly 60 cards instead of between 45 and 75).

As for acquiring the game I'm sure there's a lot of people selling off their cards/collections since, again, the game was formally cancelled about a year ago due to Bandai deciding to release their lovely japanese Dragon Ball Super tcg over here and reclaiming their license. I'm not sure what policy is for gaming stores and selling the cards now, but there's a few facebook groups for the game that could steer you in the right direction if you're interested in learning more. There's also full OCTGN lists if you want to try the game before digging into buying stuff.

- Main facebook group
- Selling-focused facebook group (I have no experience with this one)

Oh, and while the fan content is high quality for being fan content, it's still just that and I recommend avoiding it until you've sapped the official stuff for all the enjoyment you can.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Countblanc posted:

The Panini game, yeah. It's actually the same game with a few tweaks as the original one, namely it introduced the Critical Damage mechanic and a few other minor changes (like all decks are exactly 60 cards instead of between 45 and 75).

As for acquiring the game I'm sure there's a lot of people selling off their cards/collections since, again, the game was formally cancelled about a year ago due to Bandai deciding to release their lovely japanese Dragon Ball Super tcg over here and reclaiming their license. I'm not sure what policy is for gaming stores and selling the cards now, but there's a few facebook groups for the game that could steer you in the right direction if you're interested in learning more. There's also full OCTGN lists if you want to try the game before digging into buying stuff.

- Main facebook group
- Selling-focused facebook group (I have no experience with this one)

Oh, and while the fan content is high quality for being fan content, it's still just that and I recommend avoiding it until you've sapped the official stuff for all the enjoyment you can.

Thanks, I'll putch this then look into it.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

gradenko_2000 posted:

If anyone's been reading through or even playing Fragged Kingdoms, I'd love to get some first impressions.

Others talked a lot about the more "adventurer" side, but the other introduction in FK is the holdings system. Since I'm a) a sucker for kingdom management type rules and b) actually debating how to handle such in an upcoming exalted 3rd game where they are lacking, that's what I've been focused on reading so far.

Like the other fragged games, FK has both your standard individual character stuff, and then some sort of collaborative thing that the party all chips in for (space ship in the core game, pirate ship in seas, no idea in aeternum since I haven't started reading it). In this case, its holdings, and at a very basic level they work much like the aforementioned ships, though maybe not as central to the game. You pool a particular resource, in this case renown from your adventures, then "spend it" investing in attribute points and various perks or upgrades. Your renown also gives you individual perks, mostly to do with your reputation and networks of contacts/allies, so the two kind of dovetail together; by the time you have enough renown to "buy" a stronghold, you've also achieved enough fame that explains why people are coming to work for you and whatnot.

You have 3 resource producing attributes (fields, hills, and woods) and three attributes that describe your populace and infrastructure (prosperity, security, and loyalty). These in turn provide you trade goods per session, and allow you to take various actions once per week per PC who has invested in the holding. Most of these actions provide you some other resource, such as additional trade goods, wealth, new retainers. You can also levy both your peasants and trained militia for massed combat, though to be honest I haven't looked at those rules in much depth yet.

Overall, the system seems reasonable, if a little basic. So far I haven't seen much that indicates how holdings link together, though I'm still reading. There are perks regarding royal titles that seem to imply multiple holdings, but what's a "normal" amount for that I'm not sure. Kind of like the exact numbers that "bodies" or "crew" represent, it may be deliberately vague to let the group set the scope of demographics for their game. I think we'll probably fool around with it and see how adaptable it is to a basic system if my exalted group decides they want a stronghold or what have you.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

P.d0t posted:

:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project (last one for 2017 :toot:)

Mostly just some more info on what changes to expect in the next draft; if you like the idea of 13th Age-style Backgrounds, for your Knowledge skills, that's probably the one biggest change that isn't 100% going to make it in.

If this is something you would like to see implemented (or you generally have strong opinions on that method), please please please get ahold of me and let me know -- either in this thread, via forum PM, or on the TNP discord.
What did you think of "fields of lore" from the Monte Cook 5e playtests?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Babylon Astronaut posted:

What did you think of "fields of lore" from the Monte Cook 5e playtests?

I remember it being referenced in their development blog thing, but I didn't participate in any of the playtest versions where it was in the rules -- so it basically exists in my head-canon as vaporware.

What's the short version of how they worked?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

I remember it being referenced in their development blog thing, but I didn't participate in any of the playtest versions where it was in the rules -- so it basically exists in my head-canon as vaporware.

What's the short version of how they worked?

As of retail 5e, your Background gives you skill proficiencies, languages, and equipment.

In an early playtest version, Backgrounds would also grant you any two of the following Fields of Lore:

Cultural lore
Forbidden lore
Hobbyist lore
Magical lore
Military lore
Natural lore
Planar lore
Political lore
Religious lore
Subterranean lore
Trade lore

When you make an Intelligence check to know a thing, and you have a Field of Lore that applies to that thing, you would add +10 to the check.

This was also the days when there wasn't a "Proficiency bonus" yet, so a basic skill check was only [d20 + ability modifier]

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Helical Nightmares posted:

Patreon canceled their fee change!

Patreon is still gonna restructure in the near future, and no matter how they decide to structures it, it's gonna involve de-aggregation on both ends and some kind of additional processing fee.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

When you make an Intelligence check to know a thing, and you have a Field of Lore that applies to that thing, you would add +10 to the check.

That math seems janky as gently caress, but that list isn't far off what I've got, for the non-13th Age-style option:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cultural lore --> Local
Forbidden lore --> Streetwise
Hobbyist lore
Magical lore --> Arcana
Military lore --> History
Natural lore --> Nature
Planar lore
Political lore --> Royalty & Nobility
Religious lore --> Religion
Subterranean lore --> Dungeon Survival
Trade lore

(plus "Medical" and "Geography")

Honestly "Hobbyist Lore" and "Trade Lore" sound like they'd be in line with what came to be "tool proficiencies." Is that roughly how they were on paper?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone able to recommend any good/cheap 2d standees of a science fiction flavour?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm a big fan of Trash Mob Minis but I think they're fantasy only.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

That math seems janky as gently caress

An "easy" DC was supposed to be 10, and a "moderate" DC was supposed to be 15, so if you rolled for "know a thing", the +10 bonus from having a matching Lore was supposed to imply that you'd always find something.

P.d0t posted:

Honestly "Hobbyist Lore" and "Trade Lore" sound like they'd be in line with what came to be "tool proficiencies." Is that roughly how they were on paper?

Actually, no. Even at this point of the playtest, "Proficency: Artisan's Tools" and "Proficiency: Disguise Kit" was a separate thing.

Hobbyist Lore was for stuff like "knowing about knightly tournament decorum" or "has read Marx" or "all the plays ever written by a particular playwright"

Trade Lore was for ... "having specialized knowledge for a specific craft such as blacksmithing, brewing, or cooking", which I suppose can still be distinct enough from having/needing "proficiency" in specific pieces of kit like Thieves' Tools or a lute.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Moriatti posted:

What's a good PVP game, either an "RPG" focused on PVP or a board game that lets you have a high degree of customization over your chracters?

Me and my table are going to try running a group v group PvP session of gnome's Panic at the Dojo next week. I think it'll work great for it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Does anybody know any way to get bespoke 15mm scale minis? I beat Vah Naboris in Breath of the Wild and was struck by how cool the Divine Beasts would be as centerpieces in a Total War game or a model in an army, and also I'm intrigued in trying Dragon Rampant with something that isn't my bad Games Workshop related decisions.

Basically I need an army of Gerudo on Sand Seal Chariots backed by lightning-spewing camel EVA real bad.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 16, 2017

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

The Deleter posted:

Does anybody know any way to get bespoke 15mm scale minis? I beat Vah Naboris in Breath of the Wild and was struck by how cool the Divine Beasts would be as centerpieces in a Total War game or a model in an army, and also I'm intrigued in trying Dragon Rampant with something that isn't my bad Games Workshop related decisions.

Basically I need and army of Gerudo on Sand Seal Chariots backed by lightning-spewing camel EVA real bad.

Probably an on-demand 3D Printing service using the models from the game would be your best bet?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah that seems like the right answer. Just gotta find someone in the UK and convey my fever dream on them.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey, has anyone else played MHR or used Cortex+ Heroic?
I'm thinking about using it to run a game loosely based off SMT (I figured it's probably one of the best systems for letting someone play an Archangel while their buddy plays Jack Frost or a dude with a gun)

At least one of my players wants to be your typical SMT protagonist and allign himself with demons and angels. My initial thought was to let him use these guys as a power set, but scrolling through Annihilation, I see Drax has an allied character attached to his power set.

Has anyone ran someone with a sidekick character and how did it go? Did you let them get passes in initiative or just use them for dice-pool building? If the latter, did you end up imposing any limits on what could be used? Did you loosen up on any (more than 1 specialty or distinction, for instance)

Thanks!

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Two players in my MHR game eventually took sidekicks; in both cases, I just treated them as basically a really complex power set where they could provide a die for their attached PC's dice pool. Giving them a turn in the initiative order didn't feel right to me.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Falstaff posted:

Two players in my MHR game eventually took sidekicks; in both cases, I just treated them as basically a really complex power set where they could provide a die for their attached PC's dice pool. Giving them a turn in the initiative order didn't feel right to me.

Did you count it as 1 of the 2 characters tend to have or did you allow it as a 3rd? If the latter, did you limit them to using 2 sets per pool?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm thinking of adding in some elements from the cortex Plus SRD to Marvel Heroic roleplaying to make up for the issue that there aren't enough guys for social actions. I'm thinking of adding either values or skill is specialized for social stuff. I'm thinking the former, especially since they're actually is a pre-made list for superhero games in the SRD.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

It depends on what you want to emohasize WRT social interaction. Values are similar to distinctions amd skills to Mastery, what are You doing to differentiate these because I may steal it.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Moriatti posted:

Did you count it as 1 of the 2 characters tend to have or did you allow it as a 3rd? If the latter, did you limit them to using 2 sets per pool?

IIRC, I counted it as one of the two that characters often have. The advantage is that the PC could add a die from any power set available to the sidekick, so it was an extremely flexible "power" to have.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I haven't really given it a lot of thought yet. The hope was just to give it another avenue to drawn for the characters. They can never get a lot of dice for social actions and that hurts them a lot, especially against the Doom pool. Though, on the flip side, this is useful against villains as no superpower can protect against the social attack.

But, I was thinking a series of values that the character leans on more heavily that is associated with goodness. Like, superheroes should be self-sacrificing and care about Innocents, excetera. They would have different ratings to whichever one they body more.

Villains get an opposite said based on what Comics normally say is bad like selfishness and not caring about innocent people and excetera. And would also get die ratings for it.

So, social actions very likely will have to draw on a Heroes values if they want to succeed and would be opposed by the villains interests and vices. It sort of mirrors social conflict in comics better, no?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Covok posted:

I haven't really given it a lot of thought yet. The hope was just to give it another avenue to drawn for the characters. They can never get a lot of dice for social actions and that hurts them a lot, especially against the Doom pool. Though, on the flip side, this is useful against villains as no superpower can protect against the social attack.

But, I was thinking a series of values that the character leans on more heavily that is associated with goodness. Like, superheroes should be self-sacrificing and care about Innocents, excetera. They would have different ratings to whichever one they body more.

Villains get an opposite said based on what Comics normally say is bad like selfishness and not caring about innocent people and excetera. And would also get die ratings for it.

So, social actions very likely will have to draw on a Heroes values if they want to succeed and would be opposed by the villains interests and vices. It sort of mirrors social conflict in comics better, no?

Yeah, that sounds pretty good too me, values shouldn't be too hard either.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I've been binging OSR PDFs recently and now I'm curious if there are any discussions or guides to monster balance out there for such games. I also want to piddle about with the rules and strap different parts together for no better reason than I enjoy failing to complete projects.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tasoth posted:

I've been binging OSR PDFs recently and now I'm curious if there are any discussions or guides to monster balance out there for such games. I also want to piddle about with the rules and strap different parts together for no better reason than I enjoy failing to complete projects.

Most people in the movement don't even bother trying to do monster balancing

As for mucking around and combining different bits from different systems that is something lots of people have done for decades, more people probably ran BX with stuff from AD&D mixed in than running 1e straight for example

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Is there any RPG with the colonial americas as a setting.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I think Witch Hunter is set around that time period.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Dog Eat Dog is colonial somewhere.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

By americas in plural I also mean the hispano-lusitanian viceroyalties btw

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
The only one immediately coming to my mind is "Colonial Gothic" but thatīs also ThirteenColonies/US-centric.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One of Brazil's most popular games is O Desafio dos Bandeirantes (The Challenge of the Bandeirantes) which is set in a fantasy version of colonial Brazil in the 17th century.

There's a neat still-in-playtest indie game called Imp of the Perverse which is about haunted people hunting monsters in the 1830s, a very very neglected time period in tabletop games.

Besides that, Colonial Gothic is the only thing that springs to mind. As far as historical settings go, everything between [A Vague Notion of What Constituted the Middle Ages] and the latter half of the 19th century is starkly neglected.

Maybe this is a historical accident based on the prevailing trends in mainstream media, and a hundred years from now, everyone will be watching movies and TV shows about 18th century Europe and a massively popular subgenre about fantasy precolonial Africa.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

ProfessorCirno posted:

Honestly, the easiest change I can think of is to remove the myriad of things that basically cockblock Strength. There are a trillion and one spells that all have "...and I auto-succeed on whatever strength check this could've been." One reason fighters suffer skill wise in connection to attributes is because Strength is so heavily devalued. Give D&D a simplistic system to measure how much you can carry, throw away bags of holding, and just generally make the game way, way more physical.

That bug is right in the core of the system, though. Dexterity is mistaken for Agilty, but you can't have agility without strength. Reflex saves have no Strength component even though seeing a ball of fire coming towards you is no use if your muscles are too feeble to move your rear end out of the way in time. The only social skill keyed to Strength is Intimidate which is seen as a negative thing to use, even though plenty of people are impressed by Arnie or Mr.T or whoever without being in direct danger of being punched by them.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

As far as historical settings go, everything between [A Vague Notion of What Constituted the Middle Ages] and the latter half of the 19th century is starkly neglected.

Maybe this is a historical accident based on the prevailing trends in mainstream media, and a hundred years from now, everyone will be watching movies and TV shows about 18th century Europe and a massively popular subgenre about fantasy precolonial Africa.

I'm working on a PbtA game about 17th century monster hunters. Whenever I run a playtest, I try to give people a quick overview of significant historical events from the period and some info about technology and such (at a pretty basic level, as I'm not an expert) but I am always struck by how almost every player's expectations about setting details are 200 years too early or 200 years to late. If it isn't high middle ages then it must be the Victoria era!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

thefakenews posted:

I'm working on a PbtA game about 17th century monster hunters. Whenever I run a playtest, I try to give people a quick overview of significant historical events from the period and some info about technology and such (at a pretty basic level, as I'm not an expert) but I am always struck by how almost every player's expectations about setting details are 200 years too early or 200 years to late. If it isn't high middle ages then it must be the Victoria era!

That can probably be attributed to a relatively smaller pool of popular fiction taking place in that era.
Most everyone I game with wants to recreate some sort of fiction they've read or seen or played in and 1600s doesn't have a lot of stuff that lots of people would come into contact with.
Middle ages obviously does, as does the Victorian era, Gaslight era, early 1900s etc.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I was just informed that I've been placed in a lower rank because my skill was below the minimum required after five games. Wow, seriously? Some of those games I thought I even did pretty well in, and I certainly had three golds in one of them.

EDIT: Also the Overwatch thread apparently turned into this one.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Spiteski posted:

That can probably be attributed to a relatively smaller pool of popular fiction taking place in that era.
Most everyone I game with wants to recreate some sort of fiction they've read or seen or played in and 1600s doesn't have a lot of stuff that lots of people would come into contact with.
Middle ages obviously does, as does the Victorian era, Gaslight era, early 1900s etc.

Uh. Shakespeare?

• Locked thread