Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Wooper posted:

Have Uzbek and Nogai not rival each other, ally both. Eat Kazan, and potentially their ally Crimea in one go.

You'd have to wait 10 to 20 years to get enough favors to call them in, and maybe I'm underestimating myself but I do not think the Great Horde can take on Kazan + Crimea at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

You'd have to wait 10 to 20 years to get enough favors to call them in, and maybe I'm underestimating myself but I do not think the Great Horde can take on Kazan + Crimea at the same time.
If you're delcaring on Kazan you can call both in with the promise of land, I believe.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Poil posted:

Note to self:
1. Remember to check supply limits and attrition levels before parking 30k troops to siege down a castle in a tropical province.
2. Remember that a size 1 capital fort only needs 3-4k troops.

Oops. :v:

Tropical attrition is loving brutal no matter what. Even just occupying undefended provinces costs you 30 manpower per province, minimum. That adds up fast. I can't tell you how many tropical wars I've had where my manpower just vanishes before my eyes.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Fat Albert posted:

Thank you for the fantastic advice, that is all super helpful to know! Did you take economic ideas first? I had been thinking religious or humanist but it sounds as though they might not be as necessary as I thought.

A lot of guides also suggest releasing Armenia right off the bat - is this still worth doing? Or better to hold on to it?

I did take Econ first, and Religious was the 2nd admin group and 5th group overall and I only needed it because I had conquered and colonized so much Sunni, Christian, or pagan land that my Unity had tanked to ~55% and I couldn't keep up with just 1 missionary
(Econ -> Exploration -> Defensive -> Quantity -> Religious -> Diplomatic)

Those guides telling you to release Armenia are probably just outdated because you already start with 2 vassals now in that Armenian region. I usually try to integrate both of them ASAP as Armenian is a good culture to get accepted early on for QQ. Georgia makes for a much better march as they have decent NI's for military and they aren't really worth coring or diplo-annexing since their lands are poor and have a hostile core creation malus. You can vassalize them in a single war early on and feed them back their own cores and the rest of the Georgian/Caucuses region as a Bulwark for the inevitable Mega Moscuvy or PLC that'll confront you in that region and their mountain forts are also a death trap for ottoman armies that might try to invade you.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the tips on States. In the end, I've decided that aiming for 70 influence is too bothersome, so I'll stick with my 2 monarch points per year and moderate bonuses, thank you very much.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Estates. States are an entirely different mechanic.

Fat Albert
Jun 19, 2004

420 Gank Mid posted:

I did take Econ first, and Religious was the 2nd admin group and 5th group overall and I only needed it because I had conquered and colonized so much Sunni, Christian, or pagan land that my Unity had tanked to ~55% and I couldn't keep up with just 1 missionary
(Econ -> Exploration -> Defensive -> Quantity -> Religious -> Diplomatic)

Those guides telling you to release Armenia are probably just outdated because you already start with 2 vassals now in that Armenian region. I usually try to integrate both of them ASAP as Armenian is a good culture to get accepted early on for QQ. Georgia makes for a much better march as they have decent NI's for military and they aren't really worth coring or diplo-annexing since their lands are poor and have a hostile core creation malus. You can vassalize them in a single war early on and feed them back their own cores and the rest of the Georgian/Caucuses region as a Bulwark for the inevitable Mega Moscuvy or PLC that'll confront you in that region and their mountain forts are also a death trap for ottoman armies that might try to invade you.

I’ve followed your advice and vassalised Georgia, made them a march etc. seems to be working well so far! I’m intrigued by the explo idea as the 2nd choice - what was the intent there?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fat Albert posted:

I’ve followed your advice and vassalised Georgia, made them a march etc. seems to be working well so far! I’m intrigued by the explo idea as the 2nd choice - what was the intent there?

Anyone with a coastline on or near the Indian Ocean can make ungodly amounts of cash by blocking the Europeans at the Cape of Africa and slowly filling out SEAsia all for yourself. The only tricky bit is as QQ your capital is in Asia so you will spread institutions to anyone you colonize near as you cannot put provinces in your home continent into Trade Companies so you'll eventually bleed away your tech advantage. But if you act quickly you can carve out a really fat slice of Indochina and make bank either collecting the trade money right there or setting up a chain leading into Persia or wherever.

I happened to also get the "Georgia on my Mind" Achievement that same run because I nabbed the South Georgia Islands and all I really had to do was eventually integrate my Georgian march and then attack the Colonial Nation for the 5-6 provinces you need in North America

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 17, 2017

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
I just finished my first game as Castile/Spain, chose it because it was recommended for noobs, it was fun but I had no idea about ideas/expansion/anything and the whole game was just all over the place.
What countries would you guys recommend to learn specific mechanics? I started a new game as Ottoman where I'm just focusing on expanding as fast/efficiently as possible by feeding vassals and conquering land myself and taking ideas that support that. What countries should I play after that? I'd like to play some countries that I can focus on one or two mechanics at a time for example, trade, colonies, HRE, religion etc

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finnish Flasher posted:

I just finished my first game as Castile/Spain, chose it because it was recommended for noobs, it was fun but I had no idea about ideas/expansion/anything and the whole game was just all over the place.
What countries would you guys recommend to learn specific mechanics? I started a new game as Ottoman where I'm just focusing on expanding as fast/efficiently as possible by feeding vassals and conquering land myself and taking ideas that support that. What countries should I play after that? I'd like to play some countries that I can focus on one or two mechanics at a time for example, trade, colonies, HRE, religion etc

Poland is a nice one to play, the early game is slightly trickier than Ottomans or Castille but your still the most powerful regional player if you choose to PU Lithuania, that said once you've consolidated your position the game becomes much more fraught. Your very strong and have access to really good cavalry but your surrounded by powers just as strong or stronger than you, and you have to be very careful about when and who you go to war with. You might win a war with Muscovy/Russia but if it costs you all your manpower and the Ottomans come a knocking your gonna have a bad time. I'd recommend turning off third rome if you play as them though cause giving Muscovy such a huge edge against yourself when your still new is probably a bad idea.

Vijanygaar is a good choice for a newbie out of Europe. They're the most powerful Indian country at the start. but they're not so powerful as to make it a cakewalk. Once you've united India you can either head east for colonozation fun or try and take the middle east or africa, Either way your in a pretty central position.

Austria can be fun if you want to play around with the HRE mechanics. Being the emperor alleviates some of the worst parts about being in the HRE and gives you quite a bit of Diplomatic leverage. Which is good because both France and Ottomans are probably going to be out for your blood and even with Hungary you're most likely going to be weaker in a straight up fight. The religious wars can also turn into a complete clusterfuck so that can be fun.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fister Roboto posted:

Estates. States are an entirely different mechanic.

And whoever named them that should be drawn and quartered. :argh:

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity
Brandenburg will teach you a lot of HRE minor mechanics(mainly electorship and dealing with aggressive expansion in the HRE), and the joy of superior troop quality.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Now that I have gotten to play some of this, I am really disappointed with how meh Janissaries are. They lost 10% Infantry Combat ability and 5% Discipline, are more expensive, cost MP to recruit, and can only be recruited in heathen lands. The Ottomans are still great, but that is just pathetic compared to what Muscovy gets for units that do more fire damage, which is completely a-historical and a bad mechanic to give to Russia.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a good country for building tall with minimal war-making? Like if I just want to be a little merchant republic developing my provinces and getting rich as gently caress but not really expanding or having to manage wars.

fuf fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 17, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Now that I have gotten to play some of this, I am really disappointed with how meh Janissaries are. They lost 10% Infantry Combat ability and 5% Discipline, are more expensive, cost MP to recruit, and can only be recruited in heathen lands. The Ottomans are still great, but that is just pathetic compared to what Muscovy gets for units that do more fire damage, which is completely a-historical and a bad mechanic to give to Russia.

Yeah, having given Ottomans a whirl in the current patch it kind of amazes me that the AI is consistently able to trounce AI Russia with them.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The biggest benefit is that they hire instantly with 0 gold and manpower cost. They're essentially a way of turning excess military points into manpower and aren't at all bad. I think that they would be significantly more worth using if, instead of having increased drill speed, they instead had an extreme amount of resistance to losing drill from casualties. If they could stay at high drill over a whole war that would make them very tempting and well worth the extra upkeep cost.

All the new Russia mechanics are wildly out of scale in terms of power compared to the other unique government bonuses so it's probably not a great idea to compare them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

fuf posted:

Is there a good country for building tall with minimal war-making? Like if I just want to be a little merchant republic developing my provinces and getting rich as gently caress but not really expanding or having to manage wars.

The Netherlands, or anywhere in northern Italy are basically made for that type of game. Be warned no matter how much trade and development you have the game is balanced in such a way that large empires are still going to be able to kick your poo poo in. And since Republics are capped in absolutism unless you switch governments you're always going to be crippled in the latter parts of the game.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Republics still seem to be in a very bad spot now, even when you can buy RT for mil points. It feels like my average ruler has lower stats, I have less diplo options and some of the events seem pretty harsh.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

^^they also have so much lower absolutism, which is such a big thing late game since you can just annex whole regions without worrying about OE.

Does anyone know how much more powerful you need to be over another nation to guarantee them? I’m able to guarantee France and the ottomans and figured I’d go for the cheevo since I just need russia.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

really queer Christmas posted:

^^they also have so much lower absolutism, which is such a big thing late game since you can just annex whole regions without worrying about OE.

Bureaucratic Despotism has no penalty to absolutism, so you're not completely lost when it kicks in.

E:

Oh, right, they don't hold elections. Whoops.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

Republics still seem to be in a very bad spot now, even when you can buy RT for mil points. It feels like my average ruler has lower stats, I have less diplo options and some of the events seem pretty harsh.

They're mostly balanced out by the fact that they don't have as many stab hits (it pretty much keeps you at +3 all game once you inevitably get there) as well as the consistency of never having to deal with 0/1/0 heirs/rulers (disinheriting has made this less of a problem, but it's still 50 prestige you'll never have to pay). Also don't discount the ability to choose where your ruler has their power and remember to reelect people of your RT is high enough. Also remember there's no reason not to roll your ruler as a free general, which can be really nice because eventually one is bound to roll really good stats.

Absolutism is a killer, though, and I think they could probably use a bit of a buff at this point to keep up with all the changes that have been made to make monarchies not as terrible.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

AnoHito posted:

Also remember there's no reason not to roll your ruler as a free general, which can be really nice because eventually one is bound to roll really good stats.

This is why republics are my go-to government, after they decided to obliterate theocracies.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Making your ruler into a general (as in, just clicking the button) makes them die more quickly, so I rarely do it as a republic unless I know I'm not going for reelection for some reason.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

assuming you're not hamburg/dithmarschen/took that one policy, you lose -10 republican tradition reelecting in 4 year cycle and get 4 back, meaning you have to spend 200 mil to get the other 6 republican tradition back. if you always reelect a 1/1/4, what you have is essentially a 5/5/2. if you set your focus to mil the whole game that's a consistent 4/4/4

but republican leaders are always like 35-50 and a 15 year old 3/3/3 who rules for 60 years is better than a 4/4/4 who rules for 30

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

fuf posted:

Not really. This game is definitely not geared towards going tall. There are rapidly diminishing returns on development, and development is extremely important. Even if you stack a ton of development modifiers, they're only additive with the massive penalties. There's even a hard cap on development, as you eventually reach the point where it costs more than 999 monarch points to develop (and 999 monarch points for a single point of development is such a terrible trade it hurts). The best you can get is around 140 development in a single province. That might seem like a lot, but by that point in the game, you could have thousands of effective development across a massive empire, and for significantly less cost. Your trade income won't be that great either, because you'll need a lot of light ships to compete with larger nations. So give up on being rich as gently caress, and settle for being rich enough to afford the whole lot of nothing you'll be doing. Also, going tall is just begging for larger powers to steamroll you, because they see your super rich provinces with a relatively small army as easy targets.

Trust me, I've tried the sort of game you're talking about, and it's just not worth it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
republics are really bad right now because they haven't been updated to keep pace with other mechanics

they don't get estates

they used to have an advantage in predictable successors yielding more MPs but that has been surpassed by abdication/disinheritince

low Absolutism cap

merchant republics are capped at 20 stated provinces before they start getting penalties to RT

basically, republics in general and merchant republics specifically are a prime example of the downsides of Paradox's DLC model, republics have been left in the dust and ignored for several patches so they're kind of poo poo atm

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Normal republics still get estates. It's just merchant republics that don't. You're right about everything else though. The low absolutism cap is the real killer.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It still only kicks in after half the game so it can be worthwhile to stick as a republic if you start as one/are Milan and then switch over once you start approaching your Absolutism cap.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Without the absolutism hit, I'd say they're balanced pretty well even with the buffs to monarchies. Before those buffs, I would pretty much always switch to a republic if it was at all practical because they were so obviously better.

I always got the impression that a Merchant Republic was kind of a gimmick thing that was could work early-mid game, but was intended that you collapse into a dictatorship when you really want to expand and dominate.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is absolutism something to even worry about if you don't have options to Strengthen Government and such? Like I understand that lowering autonomy or harsh treatment work but I was under that part of the core of absolutism gain was Strengthening the Government

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Hey guys you know what's pretty great? EU4 multiplayer is great. Come sign up to play with us!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843933

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

SkySteak posted:

Is absolutism something to even worry about if you don't have options to Strengthen Government and such? Like I understand that lowering autonomy or harsh treatment work but I was under that part of the core of absolutism gain was Strengthening the Government

You want to max it ASAP for core creation cost and other goodies. Reman did a good video on it: https://youtu.be/_Oi9DkyqoPA

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
Seconding that you all need to sign up for Saturdays. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843933

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Having a bit of an odd game right now. Spain never formed and the Mamluks are steadily regaining land from the Ottos as the 18th century approaches. This is after I kicked the Mamluks' poo poo in. It seems they've been getting good allies a lot this game. Sardinia Piedmont also formed within just a few decades of the start, which seems odd.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I also saw the AI form Sardinia-Piedmont recently, always a cool thing to see. It's probably a lot more feasible for them to pull off if Aragon dodges the PU with Castille. It's always funny when Castille declines the PU with Aragon, or Poland refuses to PU Lithuania. It's like the AI decides they're just gonna suck this game.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Judging by my Ideas Guy game, theocracies are pretty busted too. You just don't get many interesting events or mechanics.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

republics do get plutocratic though which is one of my favorite idea groups

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mountaineer posted:

I also saw the AI form Sardinia-Piedmont recently, always a cool thing to see. It's probably a lot more feasible for them to pull off if Aragon dodges the PU with Castille. It's always funny when Castille declines the PU with Aragon, or Poland refuses to PU Lithuania. It's like the AI decides they're just gonna suck this game.

Sardinia-Piedmont is still around, by the way. They've remained a respectable, mid-sized Italian power throughout the whole game and they just lucked into a Personal Union with the remnants of Castille--and their modest colonial empire. I have to admire when AI nations punch above their weight like that.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
So I'm at an impasse with my latest Japan game. Its 1700 and I have land from Korea to Kamchaka. From Alaska to Mexico. From the Philippines to Australia. I'm ranked 6th for a world power and I'm competitive to all my neighbors in military tech, a little behind in diplotech and lagging in admin. But, I've started running into real world powers in Mexico and the Moluccas with France and the Malmuks respectively. I'm like 3 to 5 techs behind each of them and they both despise me. I see bloodlust in their eyes.

Either I shore it in, play defensively and concede the majority of the Spice Islands and Papua to the Malmuks while I engage in a cold war with France. OR take the fight to each of them, get my poo poo pushed in and call it a game. Currently all of my allies consist of various Chinese kingdoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Steak posted:

So I'm at an impasse with my latest Japan game. Its 1700 and I have land from Korea to Kamchaka. From Alaska to Mexico. From the Philippines to Australia. I'm ranked 6th for a world power and I'm competitive to all my neighbors in military tech, a little behind in diplotech and lagging in admin. But, I've started running into real world powers in Mexico and the Moluccas with France and the Malmuks respectively. I'm like 3 to 5 techs behind each of them and they both despise me. I see bloodlust in their eyes.

Either I shore it in, play defensively and concede the majority of the Spice Islands and Papua to the Malmuks while I engage in a cold war with France. OR take the fight to each of them, get my poo poo pushed in and call it a game. Currently all of my allies consist of various Chinese kingdoms.

the AI is terrible at shipping large quantities of troops across the world. Just make sure you have a big enough fleet to murder France's and you can keep them entirely out of the Americas, or even better, trap their armies outside of France and carpet siege the European lands