Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Mueller is basically my grandfather at this point. No matter what happens, he has a plan for it.

I'd even argue that he expected to be fired at some point, and had contingency plans drawn up on day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Aren't these things a murder suicide or a jilted lover or something personal like that far more often than not? Can't think of the last time there was a targeted political murder of anyone like that even in the US. Come to think of it, it's kinda surprising more desperate people aren't shooting up board meetings or courtrooms rather than churches and classrooms.

Evil is incompetent and good is too lazy to do anything.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Just saw a picture of McCain

He does not look well

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BigDave posted:

He does not look well

Not quite as redeeming as a no vote on the tax bill but I'd take it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BigDave posted:

He does not look well

Owns

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He looks like he just opened the Ark of the Covenant. :stare:

Edit: V Yeah but drat that was fast. And yeah, I know that's a thing too. Just still surprising to see it.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 17, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

He looks like he just opened the Ark of the Covenant. :stare:

The big C will do that to a person

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The thousands of mawkish think-pieces his death will generate will sure be a sight to behold.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or info on that pentagon UFO video? It seems so odd and well, not possible? Like I almost imagine the NYT got suckered into believing a video made by some buffoons in DCS.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
No yeah. Read my post history for really obvious secrets into the secrets world
of revolving door government contracts

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Blind Rasputin posted:

Does anyone have any other thoughts or info on that pentagon UFO video? It seems so odd and well, not possible? Like I almost imagine the NYT got suckered into believing a video made by some buffoons in DCS.

Politico and NYT both released the same kind of story within minutes, so someone or another was pushing out quotes "from the inside". I don't think anyone really got suckered, because it's definitely news that the Pentagon/Congress basically stashed away appropriations for a UFO fund that nobody found for over ten years, even if it was just $20m.

I'm not saying that Politico and NYT were talking with each other, but something must have happened in the last few days that made people with knowledge of the fund suddenly start talking about it with media people.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The articles also state they were storing metal alloys and plastics from UFOs in sites. The guy who was running it quit recently, sparking the article, because he felt that the DoD was not spending enough money on building defenses against like, what he referred to as “numerous reports from navy and other arms of UFOs interfering with operations using beyond advanced technology” or something. What the hell.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That’s all bullshit to be honest. UFO =\= Interstellar

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

The articles also state they were storing metal alloys and plastics from UFOs in sites. The guy who was running it quit recently, sparking the article, because he felt that the DoD was not spending enough money on building defenses against like, what he referred to as “numerous reports from navy and other arms of UFOs interfering with operations using beyond advanced technology” or something. What the hell.

He sees our future:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Soulex posted:

That’s all bullshit to be honest. UFO =\= Interstellar
They're aliens

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

BigDave posted:

He does not look well

How does senatorial secession work in AZ? Does the appointee serve the rest of the term or just until a special election?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Suicide Watch posted:

How does senatorial secession work in AZ? Does the appointee serve the rest of the term or just until a special election?

IIRC until the next statewide election, so there would be two 2018 Senate races in Arizona (One to replace Jeff Flake, and one to serve the rest of McCain's term)

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can someone effort post about the ufo thing the 13 year old in me is interested

God forbid first contact occurs with Trump as president. There's no way aliens look at this mess and decide to go ahead unless they're just farming resources

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/15/opinion/sunday/genocide-myanmar-rohingya-bangladesh.html?_r=0

quote:

SOUTHEAST BANGLADESH, NEAR THE MYANMAR BORDER — “Ethnic cleansing” and even “genocide” are antiseptic and abstract terms. What they mean in the flesh is a soldier grabbing a crying baby girl named Suhaifa by the leg and flinging her into a bonfire. Or troops locking a 15-year-old girl in a hut and setting it on fire.

The children who survive are left haunted: Noor Kalima, age 10, struggles in class in a makeshift refugee camp. Her mind drifts to her memory of seeing her father and little brother shot dead, her baby sister’s and infant brother’s throats cut, the machete coming down on her own head, her hut burning around her … and it’s difficult to focus on multiplication tables.

“Sometimes I can’t concentrate on my class,” Noor explained. “I want to throw up.”

In the past I’ve referred to Myanmar’s atrocities against its Rohingya Muslim minority as “ethnic cleansing,” but increasingly there are indications that the carnage may amount to genocide. The U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, backed by a Myanmar-focused human rights organization called Fortify Rights, argues that there is “growing evidence of genocide,” and Yale scholars made a similar argument even before the latest spasms of violence.

Romeo Dallaire, a legendary former United Nations general, describes it as “very deliberate genocide.” The U.N. human rights chief, Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein, told me, “It would not surprise me at all if a court in the future were to judge that acts of genocide had taken place.”

You judge: Here’s what Noor and her mother, Dilbar Begum, say happened in their village, Tula Toli. First, the Myanmar Army separated the women and girls from the men and boys.

“Then they shot the men and boys,” Dilbar recalled. “I saw them kill my husband and son. I was screaming.”

I delicately tried to probe whether Noor had seen the murders of her father and brother, who was just 4 years old.

“I saw everything,” Noor said, biting her lip. In a rush of words, she added: “My father was the best man in the world. We were a good team.”

She began to cry, and soon my interpreter was wiping away tears, too. And so was I.

The Myanmar soldiers herded the women and girls into huts to be raped. Noor and Dilbar were taken into one hut, along with Noor’s 2-year-old sister, Rozia, and another brother, Muhammad Kashel, a baby still nursing.

“They took my baby and cut his throat,” Dilbar said in a trembling voice, adding that the soldiers then cut Rozia’s throat, too. Shortly afterward, Noor remembers a machete blade smashing down repeatedly on her own head, her mother screaming in the background. Then she collapsed unconscious.

Dilbar said the soldiers then yanked an earring from her ear — she pointed to her torn lobe — and assaulted her beside the bodies of her children: “One soldier held me down, and another raped me.” When they were finished, she said, the soldiers chopped her on the head with the machete — she has the same angry scars on her scalp as her daughter — and left her for dead while setting fire to the hut.

The fire and smoke roused her, she said. She checked the bodies of her children and found that Noor was still breathing. Grabbing the girl, she ran into the woods. Dazed, they hiked for two days through the woods to get to the Bangladesh border.

The global and American responses have been feeble, so Myanmar is getting away with murder and rape intended to change the country’s demography. The lesson that the world’s complacency sends to other countries is that this is an ideal time to eradicate a vexing ethnic group.

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the Nobel Peace Prize winner, has become the apologist for these mass atrocities. Daw Suu does not control the Myanmar Army, but she has defended the military operation and mocked “a huge iceberg of misinformation.” Her Facebook page scoffed at a Rohingya woman’s report of sexual assault by soldiers as “fake rape.”

Daw Suu, if you’re reading this, I hope that for a moment you’ll open your heart and listen to the story of Hasina Begum, 21, and her 1-year-old daughter, Suhaifa. (Begum is a common honorific for women.)

Myanmar soldiers held Hasina and other village women at gunpoint, she said, while the troops executed the men and boys, doused the bodies with gasoline and turned the corpses into a bonfire. Then the troops led the women and girls, five at a time, toward a hut.

“I was trying to hide my baby under my scarf, but they saw her leg,” Hasina recalled, her voice brittle, her mouth trembling. “They grabbed my baby by the leg and threw her onto the fire.”

Hasina said she collapsed on the ground, screaming. The impatient soldiers then began to club her — she showed me scars from the beating — and dragged her into a hut with her sister-in-law, Asma Begum. The soldiers stripped the women naked and raped them, she said, and finally closed the door and set the hut on fire.

As bits of the burning roof fell down on them, Hasina said, she and Asma broke a hole in the side of the hut and ran away naked. They rolled in mud to soothe their burns, and the next day they found a Rohingya house and begged for the man inside to throw out clothes so that they could cover themselves.

A three-day hike took Hasina and Asma to Bangladesh. But Hasina still suffers from the beating and from the emptiness left by the murder of Suhaifa, and she has trouble sleeping.

“When I fall asleep, I look for my baby,” she said. “I wake up screaming.”

It’s tempting to say: That’s terrible, but it’s not our problem. But Noor’s plight, like Anne Frank’s in the 1940s, should prick the global conscience, for one lesson of history is this: Crimes against humanity are an offense against all humanity and require a response from all of us.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Aren’t they Buddhist extremists? That makes it even crazier.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

We built the F-35 to prepare for fighting the aliens.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jesus loving Christ.

I mean that's what I expect out of Burma, but that was hard to read. :(

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
Came in here to ask what you guys heard about http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/16/politics/special-counsel-robert-mueller-transition-emails-letter/index.htm
And what it all might mean but...gently caress, dude.

That Myanmar genocide poo poo is some of the worst stuff I've ever seen.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'd trust that Mueller got those emails legally, and the whining is just more indication that he's making Trump uncomfortable.

Gonna be fun to watch unfold.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Soulex posted:

Aren’t they Buddhist extremists? That makes it even crazier.

Their prime minister also won the Nobel peace prize which shows how loving peaceful the poeple who win the prize are (Obama, Kissinger)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

He does not look well

To be honest, I wouldn’t wish a glioblastoma on my worst enemy. It’s a horrible cancer and a pretty bad way to die. A woman I went to high school with got one, and died within six months of her diagnosis at the age of 28. The cancer robbed her of her ability to walk, left her blind in one eye, and the chemo drugs and steroids made her gain weight in weird ways, and she basically went from looking being a nearly olympic-quality athlete to a wheelchair-bound shadow of her former self.

I get that McCain is a shithead and his “maverick” reputation is a figment, but if I got diagnosed with a glioblastoma, I’d be performing some brain surgery on myself with 9mm JHP before it had enough time to get really bad. No loving thanks.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Their prime minister also won the Nobel peace prize which shows how loving peaceful the poeple who win the prize are (Obama, Kissinger)

There was a good article, in a magazine i dont remember, about how Western powers are so keen on the good-evil dichotomy, that when they find a power that is sen as "good" like aung in Myanmar, against the "evil" military junta, they, and the media, will overlook all messages and signs that point otherwise, aung in Myanmar definitely broadcasted messages and downplayed the buddhist violence against the rohingya even before she was elected.

Its sad to read stuff like that and makes me feel sick, i really hope UN could get its poo poo together and render assistance. Bangladesh will not and cannot help all rohingya escaping Myanmar :( but looking at over all how the world looks like theres not much hope.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Well historically the U.N. doesn't do so well with genocides

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

psydude posted:

The investigation will continue if Mueller gets fired. It will be taken over by a civil servant who can't be removed until an alternate is appointed by the deputy AG.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-will-have-a-hard-time-stopping-the-russia-investigation-even-if-he-fires-mueller/

Cite? (The article says nothing about this - the article consistently says the backstop for removing a special prosecutor is nothing more than public opinion)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

joat mon posted:

Cite? (The article says nothing about this - the article consistently says the backstop for removing a special prosecutor is nothing more than public opinion)

I'm trying to find the other article that explicitly stated it, but I can't. Here's a video by a Lawfare editor explaining the point, though:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...m=.eee753136544

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
The Bangladesh/Rohingya thing is insane. My boss in the org I'm working for is there now organising for us to move in and start doing medical work and her stories and pictures are insane. Refugee camps stretching way into the jungle and a noticeable lack of women and female children. Everyone of the women seem to have rape stories to tell too.

Actually if you're a doctor nurse or EMT feel free to PM me about volunteering opportunities. There's an insane need

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Its sad to read stuff like that and makes me feel sick, i really hope UN could get its poo poo together and render assistance. Bangladesh will not and cannot help all rohingya escaping Myanmar :( but looking at over all how the world looks like theres not much hope.

Unfortunately it’s been more than just the Rohingya that have been killed, they are just the most group to be targeted. I had a NCO who was born in the Kachin region and talked about having to flee his village when he was around 10 to avoid being murdered by the Burmese Army. I’m surprised it never got more coverage when it was happening because they were all Christians and it seems like Evangelicals love having a war against their fair to rally against, and steal funds from ala Southern Sudan.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Unfortunately it’s been more than just the Rohingya that have been killed, they are just the most group to be targeted. I had a NCO who was born in the Kachin region and talked about having to flee his village when he was around 10 to avoid being murdered by the Burmese Army. I’m surprised it never got more coverage when it was happening because they were all Christians and it seems like Evangelicals love having a war against their fair to rally against, and steal funds from ala Southern Sudan.

Wrong color skin.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Christianity is a white religion basically

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
they can't acknowledge the stuff in Burma because they'd have to admit then that Christians have a harder time elsewhere than they do here in the United States where they want you to think theyre minutes away from being Final Solutioned by....Obama I guess

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Rambo (the film) tried to get more attention to the issue, but people got too hung up on the scene where Stallone rips out a dudes trachea to notice the subtleties

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'd trust that Mueller got those emails legally, and the whining is just more indication that he's making Trump uncomfortable.

Gonna be fun to watch unfold.

Mueller literally just asked the GSA in a letter "hey can we have all the transition emails?" and GSA said "sure!"

Trump's people didn't read the fine print that emails on the GSA server "would not be held back in any law enforcement" actions. Thus, the Trump lawyers sent a bullshit letter to Congress instead of making any semblance of a legal argument. The Trump lawyers had already been through the transition emails and eliminating those with a bullshit privilege claim, preparing to send them to Mueller later, but Mueller went right to the source.

I'm sure Mueller did the usual thing where some other team had a first crack at everything to pull out the TRULY privileged stuff, but Trump's lawyers are doing the dumb political junk because it's all they got.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I've seen a lot of "Mueller got them illegally!!!" on my Facebook this morning, so the truth doesn't matter.

I'm all for free speech and poo poo, but something needs to be done about all of the poo poo that gets spread on social media.

Like ending social media.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Instead of regulations silicon valley will say something like "tie people's federal ID to social media accounts" or something else just as stupid

Disrupt the identity theft market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Instead of regulations silicon valley will say something like "tie people's federal ID to social media accounts" or something else just as stupid

Disrupt the identity theft market

Honestly wouldn't be the worst way to wring a bit more civility out of the Internet. Terrible in other ways and generally impractical though.

• Locked thread