Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Our first game took like three or four hours, the second one just a little more than one. It Gets Better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

It gets faster. Some scenarios still take long. Some are like an hour. Also helps learning your character.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
So, the rules say that you can only visit Gloomhaven after a scenario played in campaign mode. Doesn't this mean that if you're playing in casual mode you don't get to buy items or create new characters? I feel like it's worded weirdly and the intent is that you're just not allowed to do city events or donations after a casual mode scenario, but buying/selling items and making new characters is fine. Does it make sense to do it that way? Or am I missing something vital?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
su&sd did their thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKc5XhvkC8M

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

It's really to stop you from doing city events and grinding items.

You can however. Go to a scenario. All die. Then go back to Gloomhaven. So you do you. If you are actually using side scenarios to grind? Just buy stuff.

Limit giving to great oak and city events imo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I watched it. One weird thing was he felt the compulsion to keep the same size party? Which Gloomhaven is explicitly about changing party's and sizes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I definitely didn't catch that rule and donated to Great Oak after a scenario in casual mode to grab the treasure.

...Then I wiped somehow without ever drawing either blessing in the next scenario, so I'm going to say that was a wash and move on.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

It's all just to keep you from gaming the system. If you aren't taking advantage of anything. I don't think it's a big deal. The sanctuary unlocks an envelope so don't game that. And city/road events unlock things too. Don't game those

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
So one thing I don't understand: if I am doing the "multiple parties in a persistent world" style of handling multiple campaigns, does that mean that my second party can't do the first scenario after the first party completed it? Or is it that they can play it, but they can't get the treasure or achievements?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yes. A scenario is only used once.

Your persistent world is Gloomhaven. Not your party.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Yes. A scenario is only used once.

Your persistent world is Gloomhaven. Not your party.

Rather, a scenario only progresses the world and campaign once. Casual mode is explicitly for revisiting scenarios and/or exploring branches you didn't officially take, etc. But you can't re-earn scenario rewards or re-open opened treasure chests. You definitely can revisit to open unopened chests though.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

So one thing I don't understand: if I am doing the "multiple parties in a persistent world" style of handling multiple campaigns, does that mean that my second party can't do the first scenario after the first party completed it? Or is it that they can play it, but they can't get the treasure or achievements?

You are always allowed to repeat scenarios after you have completed them. From the rulebook:

quote:

In campaign mode, players will form an official party of characters and undertake a number of consecutive scenarios over multiple play sessions. This allows players to follow a story thread as they make decisions and explore a path of their own choosing. A scenario can only be played in campaign mode if all the prerequisite global and party achievements listed as required in the Scenario Book are active for the party. In addition, once a scenario has been completed in campaign mode, it cannot be undertaken again in campaign mode by any party.

In casual mode, players can play any revealed scenario on the world map regardless of achievements or whether it has been completed in campaign mode. Players can still gain experience and money, loot treasure tiles, complete battle goals, and make progress toward completing their personal quests, but any story text or rewards listed at the end of the scenario are disregarded. A party in campaign mode can switch to casual mode to go through a scenario they have already completed, but it is strongly recommended that a party not undertake a scenario in casual mode that they haven’t yet experienced in campaign mode.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
So how much is my second party missing out on in terms of story and stuff now that my first party has essentially locked it? Since so little has been revealed on the map, it's not like they have any other options right now, but it seems counterproductive to have them go and do scenario 2 without any context, especially if it would mean locking scenario 3 to the other party.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

You can replay it. Buy you don't get treasures you already got. Or the end of scenario rewards. So it will end flaccid.

Try reading through all the flavor of the last mission the others did?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

two_step posted:

You are always allowed to repeat scenarios after you have completed them. From the rulebook:

when you play an alternate path in casual do you guys put the stickers on the board?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Casual is replaying. Not exploring down an alternate path.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I remember reading that, when the town hits a Prosperity level, all new characters start at that level and all existing characters are bumped to that level. I assume that means you set your exp for those existing characters to the minimum for the next level (and thus "lose" any exp you had gained so far)?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Finally started in on the first scenario tonight, and even though we lost and are going to have to retry it to progress I kind of love this game already.

My group is incredibly petty and also incredibly competitive, which turns all of the "semi co-op" elements into time-bombs for dumb arguments (which are mostly? in good fun). Some highlights from our first session:

• One of our event cards gave us 10 "collective" gold, which seems to be a players-choice split per the rules? Immediately this led to a broad consensus that we should shaft the single player who voted against the winning decision with a 3/3/3/1 split. (He pouted enough that we overturned it)
  • One player had a battle goal to keep one enemy on the board for every round which led to some extremely risky play which probably contributed to our loss. Once this became public knowledge, an internal schism developed on whether to help him or block him from completing it.
  • In the final room, I vaulted directly to the back corner to hoover up a bunch of loot, but misjudged my survivability (as mindthief) and exhausted from damage immediately after. This resulted in all sorts of recriminations that I directly caused the scenario loss, alongside additional accusations that I never contributed anything while alive.
  • Consequently, post-loss discussion involved tracking individual player kill counts, and also of instituting a party-enforced penalty system for reckless play.

I'm not sure whether we'll continue in this style or start playing more co-operatively so that we don't lose, but I love that the game encourages so much spiteful bickering while still being nominally a co-op.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

King of Bleh posted:

One player had a battle goal to keep one enemy on the board for every round which led to some extremely risky play which probably contributed to our loss. Once this became public knowledge, an internal schism developed on whether to help him or block him from completing it.

I got that one in a later scenario, scenario three, easiest two checkmarks of my life.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I got it for Kickstarter Scenario 1. It was literally free.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

when you play an alternate path in casual do you guys put the stickers on the board?

You don't receive any scenario rewards in casual. So no new stickers should be going onto the board.

Bombadilillo posted:

Casual is replaying. Not exploring down an alternate path.

You can play scenarios that are revealed regardless of achievements, which means you can do revealed scenarios that have been locked off by your decisions. But you don't get the scenario rewards, so you don't get to see any scenarios that they unlock unless those scenarios are later added by doing something else in campaign mode.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I remember reading that, when the town hits a Prosperity level, all new characters start at that level and all existing characters are bumped to that level. I assume that means you set your exp for those existing characters to the minimum for the next level (and thus "lose" any exp you had gained so far)?

It bumps up the that xp. So if you are at prosperity 4 you build a character that starts with 150 xp.

malkav11 posted:

You don't receive any scenario rewards in casual. So no new stickers should be going onto the board.

You can play scenarios that are revealed regardless of achievements, which means you can do revealed scenarios that have been locked off by your decisions. But you don't get the scenario rewards, so you don't get to see any scenarios that they unlock unless those scenarios are later added by doing something else in campaign mode.

Yeah I guess that's the case. It's a weird thing because if I want to see how the fight goes if I do chose to fight a boss instead of run away, I'd just do it. I wouldn't wait for the game to 'give me permission'

But you are right it does give you permission. The spirit of the rules are very empowering and want you to play how you want. Go with the spirit and stop worrying about it is my take away.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 17, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
My friend's KS order came in this week, which means I got the solo scenarios! :toot: I did the one for the two-model class today. It was a lot of fun!

Being split up rom my bear meant that I had to make some significant changes to my playstyle, and it really made me realize just how good the Beast Tyrant's ability to disarm people is. When I busted through to the second room, I was able to disarm both Rending Drakes and got lucky on damage, so they never actually got attacks off. And the mirror match at the end really took it from good to great. I did make a pretty bad miscalculation, though--when I built my hand for the scenario, I forgot to grab any of the cards that command the bear to actually move. Because of how things shook out, he was still chilling near the start when I burst through to the final room, so I had to spend a little bit running away from the enemy to the safety of my bear friend, but I pulled through alright, and we showed that rear end in a top hat who's the real beastboss around here. And the reward for doing it is really nice; not sure whether it'll be better for *really* mauling someone, or for helping the Beast Tyrant keep up.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Lost scenario 3 because of a single enemy drawing a slightly faster initiative and killing our last character. We tested what would happen if we could have gone first, and well, we would have won :( Stupid treasure allure.

Edit jk we forgot to leave a meat shield on the board so it took the damage instead and we actually won.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 17, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So I finally got to break in my copy and my group played scenarios 1, 2 and 3. I have a post scenario 3 storyline question.

Are scenarios 8 and 9 (Warehouse and Diamond Mine) mutually exclusive?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Some Numbers posted:

So I finally got to break in my copy and my group played scenarios 1, 2 and 3. I have a post scenario 3 storyline question.

Are scenarios 8 and 9 (Warehouse and Diamond Mine) mutually exclusive?
Yes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
One thing. Plano boxes are notorious for trying to get anything out of but are great for storing. We are leaving our game out permanently so the Broken Token organizer works much better for us, as its way easy to get the pieces you need when you need them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

One takeaway from the video review was their recommendation that the game's best with two or three players instead of four. Is that something those of you who've played the game agree with, or was that localized to Matt and his group?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I prefer playing with four, but that's because we as a group think it's funny when people are standing in each other's way. With three it's probably a bit smoother, two really isn't enough of a brawl in my opinion.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Started out playing two. Had a buddy in from town, and we like playing three so much more that when he left we kept playing his character. We bumped up the difficulty but not the rewards as in the solo play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oh hey there's a gloomhaven thread!

Our primary party of three just hit fourth level. We have a LONG way to go, but this is a great game. Really enjoying it.

I'm playing the Tinkerer and oh BOY am I looking forward to finally getting the move and loot card active. It's amazing how survivable the Tinkerer is long term with that 12 card handsize. As long as you don't Lose any cards before your first rest you're like the fuckign Duracell Bunny.

It's a really well designed game. We've not lost yet, but we've come VERY close a couple of times, including one where one of the party accidentally exhausted themself early in the second room of three or four, and the remaining two of us still managed to pull it out of the bag. It was great.

The only thing that really bugs me so far is the summon AI - having them only key to monsters makes them loving useless if you summon them early, unless you can keep monsters on the board. SO many times we've just had them get left behind because they've got nothing to focus. It really feels like it out to be possible to manually move them if no monsters are on the board. It's put me right off going the summon route for my Tinkerer.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 17, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Summons are one or two rooms only unless someone runs ahead to open doors, basically.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
For sure. The Tinkerer's Decoy is pretty great for taking a few hits and sometimes flanking for the Scoundrel but otherwise fairly useless. I swapped it out for our last fight and didn't particularly miss it, I doubt I'll put it back in.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My group has been using summons to soak damage when opening doors. The summons don't last long enough to do much offensively, but they can sometimes eat an entire room's worth of attacks, keeping the rest of us from burning health and/or cards.

I'd say that the Decoy completely saved our run when we summoned him inside the doorway of Scenario 1's last room.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

jng2058 posted:

One takeaway from the video review was their recommendation that the game's best with two or three players instead of four. Is that something those of you who've played the game agree with, or was that localized to Matt and his group?

As I said in the comments there, we've been enjoying it immensely with four players for 10+ months now and have never felt like it would be better with lower player counts. If anything it feels like losing the additional party roles that can be filled at four would make things less fun. But we've not actually tried playing with less than four, so YMMV.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The spellweaver's summon can dish out some insane damage, but boy is its AI stupid.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
The higher level spellweaver summon is ridiculous. It creates an element with every attack. It has range 3. It even moves relatively fast!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

The video definitely has some weird opinions, aka opinions I don't agree with. 4 players is fine, and his arguments for AP prone turns actually argue the opposite since you can't plan anything even close to perfectly, so you just pick some things and figure it out later. The praise about the rules is also strange. It's true that the ruleset as a whole isn't bad, it's just a lot of small things and edge cases. I'm not sure it's the players fault that there are multiple monster movement flowcharts out there (even though it's not needed a lot of the time).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jng2058 posted:

I've played three scenarios so far, two with 3 people and one with 4 people. The 3-person game was definitely faster but some of that might be because of the scenarios involved, and some of it was definitely because of the fourth player not really getting the game and also not really meshing with the play pattern of the other people (they suggested going invisible turn one on their Scoundrel and spending 4-5 turns sneaking across the map to get a treasure, explaining that it'd be in-character).

It's a small and weird enough sample where I can't say that three is better than four in general or anything, but it's pretty hard to dispute that it runs quicker so if that matters to you then yeah. I can definitely see what Matt was talking about regarding four seeming more chaotic though, there's just more opportunities for your planned action to not work out. Again, arguably good or bad depending on the group.

e: another advantage of 3p is that you'll never have a tie when deciding road events

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Invisibility only lasts one round though.