Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Top Gun posted:

The last 2 sucked. Ridley is suffering from whatever disease Lucas got when he started destroying star wars. Luckily Disney is once again here to save the day and gentrify another beloved 70s/80s franchise!

A strange post through and through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

The Walt Disney Company: Building better worlds.

Prometheus even has an evil billionaire explicitly modeled on Walt Disney.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I thought of him as Peter Thiel

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I thought of him as Peter Thiel

The little dog, Walt Disney Presents-style corporate video and being frozen until the immortality vaccine is discovered is all Walt.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

K. Waste posted:

A film about a bunch of violent convicts banding together, with no regard for their own lives, to prevent a massive corporation from creating biological weapons that will destroy humanity, is not nihilist. That's a straightforward narrative in which virtue triumphs over avarice.

Nihilism is specifically the rejection of values and the treatment of life as essentially meaningless. Alien 3 very clearly rejects this.
This is a good point, although the movie's characters do play up the inevitability of death fairly regularly, and Ripley epitomizes it when she learns that she has an Alien inside her. Is there a philosophical doctrine or mindset for something like that, where one accepts death but seeks to do so on their own terms, and give their death meaning? I was going to say "fatalist" but I looked it up before I went mis-using the term and it's definitely not that. Calvinism?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Xenomrph posted:

This is a good point, although the movie's characters do play up the inevitability of death fairly regularly, and Ripley epitomizes it when she learns that she has an Alien inside her. Is there a philosophical doctrine or mindset for something like that, where one accepts death but seeks to do so on their own terms, and give their death meaning? I was going to say "fatalist" but I looked it up before I went mis-using the term and it's definitely not that. Calvinism?

SMG would probably be the one to ask about that, Christian Marxism is kind of his bag.

In a more general sense, though, I think it's obvious that for as dour as Alien 3 gets, it amplifies the integrity of the setting, which is literally some kind of apocalyptic Christian prison cult. That scene where Newt and Hicks are 'commended to the void, with happy heart' is beautiful. As chaotic as the film's production was, the basic kernel of an idea of placing sci-fi tropes in an anachronistically medieval fantasy framework survived, and its one of the more potent aspects of the film.

If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say it's pretty familiar to me having been raised Catholic. Even the whole concept of Ripley shaving her head and passing among a society dominated by men is straight out of Joan of Arc.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

Is there a philosophical doctrine or mindset for something like that, where one accepts death but seeks to do so on their own terms, and give their death meaning?

Healthy?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dienes posted:

Healthy?
In that case, why does the movie lean on it so heavily and call so much attention to it?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

In that case, why does the movie lean on it so heavily and call so much attention to it?

She was on a planet where every other inhabitant was a mentally ill violent offender with double-y syndrome.

One fifth of the country is on psychotropic meds. Healthy stands out.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I remember the first time I saw Alien Resurrection I was eating those microwavable grilled chicken breasts that come in a bag at Costco nonstop and at the scene where Ridley walks into that room and sees all those freakshow versions of her that they tried to clone I started barfing. Sums up that movie nicely I think.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Top Gun posted:

I remember the first time I saw Alien Resurrection I was eating those microwavable grilled chicken breasts that come in a bag at Costco nonstop and at the scene where Ridley walks into that room and sees all those freakshow versions of her that they tried to clone I started barfing. Sums up that movie nicely I think.

christ

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Top Gun posted:

This is very vivid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't eat non bread/fried covered chicken thanks to dissecting a really fat cat in high school. The fat we took out looked exactly like chicken and the smell made me ill

Goddamn that cat was so fat. My teacher said he never saw anything like that before.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Top Gun posted:

I'm picturing you scarfing down like 5 microwaved chicken breasts in a row over like a 20 minute period.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CelticPredator posted:

thanks to dissecting a really fat cat in high school.

....But why?

Are dissections really still a thing in some countries? And why a cat, of all things?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

THE BAR posted:

....But why?

Are dissections really still a thing in some countries? And why a cat, of all things?

I graduated from highschool in 2002, but we did a frog dissection in my senior year biology class.

I ended up not having to take any lab classes in college so that was the last dissection I ever had to do.

As a cat owner I think I'd have real serious problems dissecting a cat. Like, I'd have willingly taken the F grade rather than doing it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

THE BAR posted:

....But why?

Dissecting stuff in high school isn't unusual (at least throughout the 90s) but it's more commonly a small frog or a worm and you can almost always do some alternate assignment if you let them know ahead of time that you're not comfortable doing it.

Schools have to buy those from a supplier just like everything else though, and depending on the logistics of what the school has stocked/what's available will effect whether a bunch of small things are dissected by groups or if one larger animal/body part is used for the whole class.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

THE BAR posted:

....But why?

I think the option was dogs or cats and my teacher picked cats.

I honestly don't know. I didn't like doing it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

THE BAR posted:

....But why?

I was in high school from 1998 - 2002, and in freshman biology we had to dissect a frog and a fetal pig.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

But why is it still a thing? What can students possibly learn, that you can't already find in books and articles?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I took zoology in college and dissected a bunch of stuff. Shark. Worm. Squid. Probably some kind of fish.

I don't remember if we did any mammals.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

THE BAR posted:

But why is it still a thing? What can students possibly learn, that you can't already find in books and articles?

Being able to literally hold something in your hand and handle how it works and fits with everything can be super helpful.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I have mixed feelings about the morality of it, but in terms of learning what the insides.of.living creatures actually actually actually look like, there's no substitute.

Like in the class I took, we obviously studied a bunch of diagrams and read a bunch of stuff also. But the real thing is quit different. Almost all diagrams are color coded and it's hard to get a sense of scale.

Plus obviously a textural understanding of the structure of the tissues involved.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Being able to literally hold something in your hand and handle how it works and fits with everything can be super helpful.

Normally, yes, but this example seems so pointless to me. You're not going fist-deep in a frog's internals under any circumstances. You're just spending an awful lot of energy procuring corpses to dissect, finding alternatives to those who refuse and for what purpose? Tradition?

Medical students obviously need to know anatomy, but they know what they signed up for.

E:

I can't say when we stopped practicing dissections in high school or whatever in Denmark, but it's been decades. It just seems like a whole heap of trouble for miniscule gains.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 17, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Now that Disney owns aliens, will they make the movies better?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Xenomrph posted:

Humanism.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Covok posted:

Kingdom Hearts might be in for interesting times.

Covok
May 27, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Kingdom Hearts might be in for interesting times.

"Garsh, Donald, I don't know about that Ripley fellow. I have a bad feeling in my gut about her. Actually I've had a bad feeling in my gut since I took that nap."
"Oh, Goofy..." *cocks gun to take him out like Of Mice And Men*

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
In middle school we dissected owl pellets, frogs, and pig fetuses in that order.

We got pretty morbid when we got to the pig fetuses, everyone trying to mortify it to make as grotesque a puppet as possible. All boy middle school is a hell of a place.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I was the only one to make a puppet out of my bullfrog . . I was that guy . .

Covok posted:

hahahahaha

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
We dissected owl pellets, earthworms, crayfish, frogs, sharks, piglets, and sheep eyes. No cats, thankfully. Guess my school just really wanted kids to cut up animals.

A few of us got pregnant sharks, causing one girl to exclaim: "I didn't know sharks were mammals!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Black Bones posted:

I was the only one to make a puppet out of my bullfrog . . I was that guy . .

hahahahaha

At least they might take it away from Ridley Scott, a man who is just not able to recapture the magic of the original films and his psychological and philosophical drivel is not being well received and mostly made me and my friends laugh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Covok posted:

At least they might take it away from Ridley Scott, a man who is just not able to recapture the magic of the original films and his psychological and philosophical drivel is not being well received and mostly made me and my friends laugh.

See? Yet another reason why Disney buying Fox is an awful idea that should be illegal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

See? Yet another reason why Disney buying Fox is an awful idea that should be illegal.

It's happening.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh, come on, there's still an outside shot that Trump's DOJ says no to Rupert Murdoch getting $50 billiolololol

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
what's the over/under on david being revealed as the villain of disney's inevitable alien trilogy during a mid-credits sequence

edit: can't wait for ripley to pass the torch to newt before dying a heroic death because nerds didn't like her last heroic death enough. bets on who plays newt? j-law?

MajorB fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 17, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Covok posted:

At least they might take it away from Ridley Scott, a man who is just not able to recapture the magic of the original films

Good filmmaking is not magic.

The goal is not to recapture the unique cultural and social context of a movie that came out 38 years ago. The goal is to make a good film on its own terms. Prometheus and Covenant are both very good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

The goal is not to recapture the unique cultural and social context of a movie that came out 38 years ago. The goal is to make a good film on its own terms. Prometheus and Covenant are both very good.

I'm surprised how many fans of the Alien movies in particular share this sentiment when each of the four Alien film has had a completely different director's sensibilities behind it. Plus even if Ridley Scott wanted to make something almost identical to Alien and somehow literally every single person who worked on Alien was available/alive to also work on Prometheus, it still would be absolutely nothing like Alien beyond "folks on a ship run into some weird poo poo" and that's hardly a failure on the part of anyone involved.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Because they want Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

K. Waste posted:

I disagree. Film is basically a magic trick where you wow the audience by basically tricking them into feeling something.