Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Constant posted:

I quit watching this a few weeks ago did anything new happen or are they still going over each characters viewpoint of the attack on the saviors compound?

No, they also decided to kill Coral off in a really annoying way too. :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

unlawfulsoup posted:

I think it says a lot that the shows presentation makes the line FAR murkier than it should be.

That's kind of a hot take because whenever you see saviors encounter anyone else they're either extorting them or killing them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Constant posted:

I quit watching this a few weeks ago did anything new happen or are they still going over each characters viewpoint of the attack on the saviors compound?

tell me friend do you like closeups of eyes?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Panzeh posted:

That's kind of a hot take because whenever you see saviors encounter anyone else they're either extorting them or killing them.

And yet the saviors actually seem to spare people, which is more than you can say for Rick's noblemen who murder sleeping soldiers and people who surrender under promise of being spared.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The first time we saw the Saviors, they were ready to rob and kill Abe, Daryl and Sasha. Then next we see them, they're forcing Hilltop's people to kill Gregory in some weird head game bullshit. Yeah Rick killed more of their people but I don't think anyone would be crying foul if the Saviors were instead literal Nazis that managed to survive the apocalypse and Negan was a cult leader that said he was the reincarnation of Hitler or whatever.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

unlawfulsoup posted:

And yet the saviors actually seem to spare people, which is more than you can say for Rick's noblemen who murder sleeping soldiers and people who surrender under promise of being spared.

This is really really dumb. Toss another really in there. Remember the Polaroids of crushed heads?

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Yeah honestly there is no murkiness in who's clearly the lesser of two evils, with kind of a power-gap in between them.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

warcrimes posted:

This is really really dumb. Toss another really in there. Remember the Polaroids of crushed heads?

Yeah, a completely forced way to convince the viewer that it's totally fine to kill all these guys in their sleep. I remember playing a dystopian video game where I was encouraged to murder some guys and steal their stuff, and it was a-okay because I found something that suggested they were paedophiles. But remember: the guys in The Walking Dead were going to murder all those people in their sleep either way.

In the last episode, the Saviours captured Maggie et al and then murdered Neil in response to having dozens more of their own guys killed, but let the rest go. So Maggie then murdered a POW in response and is preparing to kill the rest, too. The show will probably only make the really naughty captives die at this point, like the one who pretended to surrender (if that's evil, then so was the Kingdom in the same day), and the one who's continued to antagonise everyone, but it's still what it is.

It's not that the Saviours are the good guys, it's more that at this point they really should have killed at least 75% of the good guys, not to make a point but just to try and survive. As upsetting as it would be if a few more Neils died.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
To me it boils down to the evil of endless moralizing that is Rick's gang, even if it should've gotten them all killed thrice over by now, or the evil of Negan's post-apocalyptic dudebro mentality, featuring arguments such as 'the implication' etc.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Didn't Rick just threaten to annihilate the trash people to a man unless they join him in exterminating the saviours?

To me it seems like draconian but functional society vs violent anarchy. The Saviours also woulda let Sadiq or whoever join up and give him three squares and a job. Rick threw him to the wolves. And yeah Maggie seems pretty Gestapo atm. The Saviours don't just take prisoners, they let them integrate. Maggie's Hilltop considers "not killing them all" a mercy.

I still think Stalin or Sulla comes to mind, maybe Sad Dude or Dwight coulda made the place decent once Negan died. Rick's group is just rolling around bashing heads and doing genocidal reprisals. Hell, Rick's crew might be dead in the woods by now if they didn't violently coup Alexandria, kill or cow all dissenters, and move in. They didn't build that poo poo.

The Kingdom was the best society but even they fell to the Rick menace.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 17, 2017

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

So I’ve given up on this show but I have this season on DVR. Are there any good scenes I should watch before I erase it?

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Or any unintentionally funny poo poo like Darryl fighting a canvas bag for 15 seconds

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Han Nehi posted:

So I’ve given up on this show but I have this season on DVR. Are there any good scenes I should watch before I erase it?

The car chase scene early on the in the season.

It's honestly amazing and probably the high point of the season.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Awful cgi tiger death rivals any bad GoT direwolf writeoff.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Han Nehi posted:

Morales' big return and his whole arc

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Han Nehi posted:

Jerry scene in Ezekiel episode

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Awful cgi tiger death rivals any bad GoT direwolf writeoff.

It's way worse.

When one of the dire wolves went down to a horde of zombies on GoT I loving believed it went down to a horde of zombies. The tiger, meanwhile, was like "This sucks I'm out bitches" and just let 4 melting wax sculptures eat it while it just gave up on life.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Constant posted:

I honestly have no idea at this point. It seems half of the episodes now are closeup slo-mo shots of each main character's face... making faces.

BonoMan posted:

tell me friend do you like closeups of eyes?

that

Marmaduke! posted:

Yeah, a completely forced way to convince the viewer that it's totally fine to kill all these guys in their sleep. I remember playing a dystopian video game where I was encouraged to murder some guys and steal their stuff, and it was a-okay because I found something that suggested they were paedophiles. But remember: the guys in The Walking Dead were going to murder all those people in their sleep either way.

In the last episode, the Saviours captured Maggie et al and then murdered Neil in response to having dozens more of their own guys killed, but let the rest go. So Maggie then murdered a POW in response and is preparing to kill the rest, too. The show will probably only make the really naughty captives die at this point, like the one who pretended to surrender (if that's evil, then so was the Kingdom in the same day), and the one who's continued to antagonise everyone, but it's still what it is.

It's not that the Saviours are the good guys, it's more that at this point they really should have killed at least 75% of the good guys, not to make a point but just to try and survive. As upsetting as it would be if a few more Neils died.

Counterpoint: Negan can simply spawn a few more dozen henchmen as the situation warrants.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 18, 2017

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Han Nehi posted:

Just watch this summary:

https://i.imgur.com/Ey8O3zT.gifv

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Didn't Rick just threaten to annihilate the trash people to a man unless they join him in exterminating the saviours?

To me it seems like draconian but functional society vs violent anarchy. The Saviours also woulda let Sadiq or whoever join up and give him three squares and a job. Rick threw him to the wolves. And yeah Maggie seems pretty Gestapo atm. The Saviours don't just take prisoners, they let them integrate. Maggie's Hilltop considers "not killing them all" a mercy.

I still think Stalin or Sulla comes to mind, maybe Sad Dude or Dwight coulda made the place decent once Negan died. Rick's group is just rolling around bashing heads and doing genocidal reprisals. Hell, Rick's crew might be dead in the woods by now if they didn't violently coup Alexandria, kill or cow all dissenters, and move in. They didn't build that poo poo.

The Kingdom was the best society but even they fell to the Rick menace.

The Savior society is all kinds of screwed up by terrible inconsistent writing, resulting in a lot of things that makes it hard to go "you know, maybe this isn't so black & white" when the show forgets what actually happened. This includes how they demand to kill one person from every settlement as policy minimum, after taking all their stuff and insulting them. Odds are the pictures of bashed in heads at the outpost would make more sense if Negan wanted it there was a reminder what would happen if they cross him or something.

Which is a stupid policy delivered in a stupid way. If the death of Glenn and Abraham really was just because they killed Negan's people .. I'd get it. It'd be gray. But they planned to do that from the second they saw them.

Then again what's worse is the "I AM NEGAN" thing they added. Yet, they want their cake and eat it too: "They're all Negan!" is the reason you can't just kill Negan to collapse them.... yet the minute Negan isn't around they collapse. It's meaningless stupidity meant to give them a nonsensical out instead of just SHOOTING HIM IN THE loving HEAD.

It drives me nuts to people referencing real-world governments and politics with this Goddamn cartoon, though. Because you COULD rework Negan's society into being something not goofy I think, by basically changing their entire approach to what they claim it to be, mafia protection money of sorts crossed with a government, where it's clear you either pay your taxes or get stomped and smack in heads if they argue. But they'd need to frame themselves as a benefit, people who really ARE shown clearing out hordes and protecting said settlements, thus the reason people would put up with giving them tributes other than "They have numbers." A government that wants taxes and doesn't give anything besides taking your stuff in return for them tends to have massive blowback, after all.

The guy who runs the Kingdom chapter (or ran) of the Saviors is the only Savior I find remotely realistic in his approach, attitude, or anything else. He's not the bombastic "SCARY GUY" Negan is but honestly he's a far, far, FAR more realistic character for what their group is trying to be. He doesn't want poo poo. He wants functioning colonies that keep the system going, and really would rather AVOID headaches.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 18, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So this is a dumb question but does anyone remember which episodes had the "I AM NEGAN!" stuff and the "We can't just kill Negan, they're all Negan!" stuff in it? I really just kind of want to make a montage video clip of them saying that over and over followed by their entire place falling apart one hour sans-Negan.

Marmaduke! posted:

Except it was probably fine at the time since they WERE established as a group that ALWAYS kills some people to make a point. The splinter-group bikers made this clear as did several other people under Negan's command. Like, they ALWAYS bash in a skull and take your stuff. I am 100% positive that's what happened to the dumb kid's dad in the Kingdom before they killed the kid and forgot the plot since nobody in the Kingdom knew about Negan (which is hilarious we didn't even get 5 minutes of "WHAT THE gently caress, KING?" after he told them all 'Oh yeah, I've been lying to you this whole time, we're really a subjected people to an insane warlord and we need to fight him.'

Now they're trying to frame it like what happened was payback for Negan's people to make it a complicated issue. But it's not. At all. He would have done that if he pulled up on their gate and they let him in. He'd done it no matter what.

Marmaduke! posted:

NONE of that situation made sense, not one bit of it, from the very get go. NOTHING ABOUT IT.

Why the convoy didn't fight back, why the Saviors didn't even search the cars, why Maggie was let go, why Maggie had people give over their guns instead of just pulling a "They want guns.. GIVE THEM GUNS" since she had the numbers.. why she did the dramatic "We need the box" thing, why she would IMMEDIATELY TAUNT THEM IN THE OPEN BY DUMPING IT NEAR THEM after killing the guy instead of, I don't know, pretending to be their friends* and then just mowing them the gently caress down when they come to collect? Up is down, black is white, nothing makes loving sense

* Also good on Daryl for not flipping and murdering his previous group in 40 hours of the unthinkable terror of listening to "Easy Street." It broke Eugene in only 24 hours! Good thing Daryl's too honorable a guy to say "I am Negan," be immediately given a gun and a back-turned Negan since.. that's how the WD writers think a society can operate

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shitenshi posted:

The first time we saw the Saviors, they were ready to rob and kill Abe, Daryl and Sasha. Then next we see them, they're forcing Hilltop's people to kill Gregory in some weird head game bullshit. Yeah Rick killed more of their people but I don't think anyone would be crying foul if the Saviors were instead literal Nazis that managed to survive the apocalypse and Negan was a cult leader that said he was the reincarnation of Hitler or whatever.

Let's do it. Walking Dead: Nazi Zombies sounds, sadly, less dumb than what we have now!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Out of a whole bad season I legit could not follow a thing that was happening in this ep. This one took the cake.
What did the trashfolk even do? How did Maggie get back to Hilltop? What was with the random Morgan shots?

Steven Ogg and Sad Saviour Leader steal the show and Negan remains decent. I was in my heart rooting for him to just beat Rick to death. I’ve never seen a show that made me hate the protagonists so so much. The Saviours legit seem like the good guys in the narrative. They’re the Lucius Sulla to Rick’s Caligula. The Stalin to Rick’s Hitler.

I really, really hope Ogg's Westworld role expanded. Dude kills it, he needs some feature-time on a show that's actually great. That said yeah. There is nobody left to root for in Rick's group. I literally don't give a poo poo about any of them; erratic assholes.

Are any of the original Alexandria residents still alive even!? Every time the place gets attacked droves of them end up dead on the street. Apparently' Carl's evacuation plan didn't include, you know, the people of the town.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 18, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Han Nehi posted:

Or any unintentionally funny poo poo like Darryl fighting a canvas bag for 15 seconds

I hope you have your shittin' glasses on

Cause yer about to watch some poo poo

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Are any of the original Alexandria residents still alive even!? Every time the place gets attacked droves of them end up dead on the street. Apparently' Carl's evacuation plan didn't include, you know, the people of the town.

Aaron and his boyf-

Well Aaron.

Actually, man Aaron should be a real raving lunatic about this. He's the one who brought Rick to Alexandria, who then was responsible for a ton of people dying, and then got them into a war that got his boyfriend killed for honestly not a lot of reason. Like gently caress I'd be going nuts, and certainly not all in with Rick's bullshit.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Let's do it. Walking Dead: Nazi Zombies sounds, sadly, less dumb than what we have now!

I really, really hope Ogg's Westworld role expanded. Dude kills it, he needs some feature-time on a show that's actually great. That said yeah. There is nobody left to root for in Rick's group. I literally don't give a poo poo about any of them; erratic assholes.

Scott and Aaron, but Scott doesn't say/do much so I can understand why he's forgettable.

Remember how they were in Alexandria for like a whole season then Ethan Embry showed up out of nowhere and the showrunners were like 'nah, he's been there the whole time. He was just... busy'.

Seconding the Steve Ogg love. He guest starred in an ep of Stan Against Evil as a murderous were-pony. That man can sell the corniest dialogue like a champ

E:

Spermanent Record posted:

No, they also decided to kill Coral off in a really annoying way too. :newlol:

I wonder how many viewers went 'that's what you get for trusting a Muslim'?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 18, 2017

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
I just watched season 2 of Stan Against Evil and loved Ogg as a goddamn Werepony. He can really sell cheese and camp. Honestly if wereponies showed up and murdered everyone on this show it would be a marked improvement.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

Tobin is still around.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Han Nehi posted:

There is a "car chase" scene that supersucks, it's a good watch.

There is a scene where bunch of guys gently lay down on the ground as they are being gunned down by CGI.

There's also a cameo by Jim Carrey.

Idk if there's anything else.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

"I'm Negan" is as annoying as "and yet I smile".

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hasselblad posted:

"I'm Negan" is as annoying as "and yet I smile".

Worse because at least he actually is smiling.

Where as "I'm Negan" has been the excuse for not just killing Negan, i.e. "They're all Negan!" Except 1 hour without him and they fall the gently caress apart so they aren't Negan?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Is the priest gonna die and eat somebody soon

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Also I still love the "wearing guts is nasty, people named Gabriel get sick every time they do it"

While on Fear they wear blood all the dang time

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

moist turtleneck posted:

Also I still love the "wearing guts is nasty, people named Gabriel get sick every time they do it"

While on Fear they wear blood all the dang time

I am 100% positive Gimple forced this event, so that he has an excuse to remove guts camo from Fear the Walking Dead.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Is it possible that Erickson left FTWD on his own when he found out he'd have to work for Gimple? 'Cause I thought it was kind of weird that he was removed as showrunner but apparently still works for AMC, just not on anything Walking Dead related now. Gimple was added as an executive producer (not showrunner) but is overseeing the "crossover" and therefore his plans would inevitably clash with Erickson's, but Gimple's ideas would automatically take priority. Knowing what kind of person and "creative authority" Gimple is, it wouldn't surprise me if Erickson just said "gently caress it, it's all yours" and asked to be put on another show.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Blazing Ownager posted:

Worse because at least he actually is smiling.

Where as "I'm Negan" has been the excuse for not just killing Negan, i.e. "They're all Negan!" Except 1 hour without him and they fall the gently caress apart so they aren't Negan?

Or maybe Negan isn't actually Negan? :tinfoil:

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
If anyone ever rewatches this show for any reason please make a graph of how characters move on the murder scale.

theloosecannon
Sep 13, 2003
Someone mentioned the IMDb page several posts back so I did a quick look over the highest rated eps. Almost everything over 9 had either Rick ripping out throats with his teeth, Carol going straight savage, or LOTS of human blood/gore/losses.

The people have spoken, Gimple. Check the numbers if you don’t want this poo poo to fall further apart quick, fast and in a hurry.

I’m definitely saying he just needs Carol to murder everyone indiscriminately and have Rick & Eugene bite major pieces off people.

There. Show fixed.

Edited to add: goddammit that new default av. 14 years you’d think I’d spring for a new one. :rolleyes:

theloosecannon fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 20, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

Is the priest gonna die and eat somebody soon

Given how erratically he's been written the answer to these questions are, in order, no and yes.

theloosecannon posted:

Someone mentioned the IMDb page several posts back so I did a quick look over the highest rated eps. Almost everything over 9 had either Rick ripping out throats with his teeth, Carol going straight savage, or LOTS of human blood/gore/losses.

The people have spoken, Gimple. Check the numbers if you don’t want this poo poo to fall further apart quick, fast and in a hurry.

But don't you read Gimple and AMC's statements? The problem is the show is too dark and violent! That's the problem! It has nothing to do with the writing being poo poo. It's just the violence people hate!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Will the real Negan please stand up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Slim Negan