Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

Overall I was disappointed, coming from one of Johnathan Nolan's other shows (Person of Interest which is good and has a lot of heart).

See I keep hearing this, so I gave Person of Interest ten episodes and it still wan't anything more than a passably-mediocre vigilante crime drama with a decent supporting cast and an abysmal lead actor.

I do agree with you about Westworld though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

OutsideAngel posted:

See I keep hearing this, so I gave Person of Interest ten episodes and it still wan't anything more than a passably-mediocre vigilante crime drama with a decent supporting cast and an abysmal lead actor.

I think you have to get past season 1 of PoI when it gets good? :shrug:

Westworld is just cool though, if you like your radiohead by player piano and robotos bleeding milk.

Also there are fan theories that the Westworld fun park is not just a place to shoot dopey gunslingers but a testing ground for terminators.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Love on Netflix is really good. We started watching it randomly and are doing three episodes a day. It's one of those series where the main characters mostly act like real people instead of TV show actors. And situations rarely resolve how you expect. Just watched the episode with Andy Dick and he is hilarious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OutsideAngel posted:

Ten episodes is right about where it's getting ready to start the overarching plot lines. It really gets rolling in Season 3 but it moves pretty well before then. I really enjoyed that show.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Person of Interest is genuinely one of my all-time favorite shows and I just finished a rewatch of the entire series. It goes places and you absolutely should stick with it. The first season is slower and has less emphasis on the sci-fi aspects, but it sets up important character groundwork and still has some very good episodes - - I'd at least hold out until Witness and see how well that episode appeals to you.

flatluigi has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Dec 17, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

wormil posted:

Love on Netflix is really good. We started watching it randomly and are doing three episodes a day. It's one of those series where the main characters mostly act like real people instead of TV show actors. And situations rarely resolve how you expect. Just watched the episode with Andy Dick and he is hilarious.

I agree but I couldn't get past the first episode of season 2. It doesn't feel like there has been much character growth in a show chiefly about character growth.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh, Netflix now has Ash vs. Evil Dead.

Get it!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sorry to hear that about S2 of Love. The Mickey character seems to meander a good bit. It felt like she went from mildly hosed up to really hosed up in one episode. Gus and Bertie are pretty awesome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

Get it!

It's so good. I'm only on ep 5 of season one but it's everything I wanted out of new evil dead.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

I actually thought Westworld was incredibly overwrought, kinda dumb and took itself too seriously. I kept having flashes to Battlestar Galactica while watching it. It definitely has great production values and all the titties and stuff that goes along with an HBO show, but I still found it lacking. One of the reasons was I found it incredibly hard to suspend my disbelief pretty much at all times. People invent sentient humanlike AI's and house them in undying and undetectable human bodies and they use this for...the world's biggest theme park? Seeing more of the society that made THAT choice would be infinitely more interesting than the amusement park itself, but sadly we never get to leave the park and see the outside world.

Overall I was disappointed, coming from one of Johnathan Nolan's other shows (Person of Interest which is good and has a lot of heart).

If you saw the final episode of Westworld you should be excited for season 2.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

If you saw the final episode of Westworld you should be excited for season 2.

Season 2 will actually be called Eastworld

and it will kick rear end

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I thought Westworld started dropping in quality over time after episode 5 but the season finale did redeem it, it was really good.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

JCVD is on Amazon Prime. Highly highly recommend, especially if you like cheesy 80's action movies (note that it is not a cheesy action movie).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
10 Cloverfield Lane is up on Amazon prime, and man, talk about a movie that completely falls flat on its face in the last 15 minutes.

Wow the first 90% of the movie that leads to her escaping was pretty cool.
Oh cool the air is cool to breath, wonder why.
Oh ok there are aliens now.
Oh no an alien dog.
Oh no an alien spaceship.
Oh no poison gas is back.
Oh no it’s the alien dog again.
Hit the spaceship with a homemade Molotov cocktail.
Decide to join the fight against aliens.

What the gently caress is happening?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

JCVJ is on Amazon Prime. Highly highly recommend, especially if you like cheesy 80's action movies (note that it is not a cheesy action movie).

It's absolutely a cheesy action movie...in parts. I grew up watching Jean Claude Van Damme and he does a great job in this show and is hilarious. For everyone else, the premise is that it's actually him, post retirement. Turns out the whole time he was making all those movies, he was also an international spy, and the cheesy movies were his cover for whatever location he had a mission in. Who knew!

After two years of being retired he gets wants back in the spy game and as a result has to also start filming movies again. It's somehow cheesy without being over the top and is also very funny. You can tell he doesn't take himself very seriously. There's a lot of references to his old movies, especially Time Cop. If you were ever a fan of JCVD, I would absolutely recommend Jean Claude Van Johnson.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's absolutely a cheesy action movie...in parts. I grew up watching Jean Claude Van Damme and he does a great job in this show and is hilarious. For everyone else, the premise is that it's actually him, post retirement. Turns out the whole time he was making all those movies, he was also an international spy, and the cheesy movies were his cover for whatever location he had a mission in. Who knew!

After two years of being retired he gets wants back in the spy game and as a result has to also start filming movies again. It's somehow cheesy without being over the top and is also very funny. You can tell he doesn't take himself very seriously. There's a lot of references to his old movies, especially Time Cop. If you were ever a fan of JCVD, I would absolutely recommend Jean Claude Van Johnson.

JCVD is an interesting guy in the way he's willing to make his career and reputation part of his art these days, and he has no illusions about what he makes. I wish JCVD (the movie) was streaming somewhere.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Inzombiac posted:

Get it!

I loved it. Watched both seasons in a weekend. Made me realize why I don't really care for Game of thrones. There's too much tension for me to handle, on Ash v Evil Dead you know drat well everyone is going to die in a very violent fashion. That's just what the show is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I couldn't sleep last night so I started season 2 the bits with the evil Delta were the exact right amount of schlock i expect from that series.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Anybody else watching Glitch?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

JCVD is an interesting guy in the way he's willing to make his career and reputation part of his art these days, and he has no illusions about what he makes. I wish JCVD (the movie) was streaming somewhere.

Wait were me and the other guy talking about two different things? I was talking about the series Jean Claude Van Johnson. I didnt know there was a movie called JCVD.

syscall girl posted:

Anybody else watching Glitch?

Yeah I finished it, really liked it but I still have a ton of questions about it

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rolo posted:

10 Cloverfield Lane is up on Amazon prime, and man, talk about a movie that completely falls flat on its face in the last 15 minutes.

I think it helps to know going in that it's set in the same universe as the movie Cloverfield. A rare case where a mild spoiler saves you from :wtf: ending.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

I think it helps to know going in that it's set in the same universe as the movie Cloverfield. A rare case where a mild spoiler saves you from :wtf: ending.

I thought it was less same universe and more they decided "Cloverfield" is not an anthology word

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

. I wish JCVD (the movie) was streaming somewhere.

Lol, it is streaming on Amazon Prime. That's what I was referring to in my original post, NOT Jean Claude Van Johnson. That show is pretty good, and I like how it plays with tropes, but THE MOVIE - JCVD is much better imo.

E.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wait were me and the other guy talking about two different things? I was talking about the series Jean Claude Van Johnson. I didnt know there was a movie called JCVD.

Lol, yea, two separate things. If you liked the show, you'll like the movie (which I believe was also called "Van Dammage" in certain regions). Like I said, it's streaming free in Amazon Prime right now, too.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Dec 20, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Len posted:

I thought it was less same universe and more they decided "Cloverfield" is not an anthology word

I don't understand what that means, to me it sounds like two negatives -- it's not this because it's not this? But last I heard there is another Cloverfield movie on the way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

I don't understand what that means, to me it sounds like two negatives -- it's not this because it's not this? But last I heard there is another Cloverfield movie on the way.

Second not should have been now. Cloverfield is supposed to be an anthology series and all it means is "sci-fi stuff happens" but it's all unrelated

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I thought the end of 10 Cloverfield Lane was good enough, especially since it turned out that John Goodman was right the whole time (even if he was a creepy monster).

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

Lol, it is streaming on Amazon Prime. That's what I was referring to in my original post, NOT Jean Claude Van Johnson. That show is pretty good, and I like how it plays with tropes, but THE MOVIE - JCVD is much better imo.

E.

Lol, yea, two separate things. If you liked the show, you'll like the movie (which I believe was also called "Van Dammage" in certain regions). Like I said, it's streaming free in Amazon Prime right now, too.

I finished JCVJ yesterday and immediately watched Time Cop. I'll check out JCVD when I get a chance.

Anyone who hasn't watched JCVJ and has any passing interest in Van Damme should watch it. He's so good at making fun of himself and it looks like they had a ton of fun making the series.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Len posted:

Second not should have been now.
Oops, I should have figured that out.

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought the end of 10 Cloverfield Lane was good enough, especially since it turned out that John Goodman was right the whole time (even if he was a creepy monster).

I felt like making him actually creepy was a sell out. It would have been more interesting if it had just been her imagination running away. Wasn't that also the plot of a Twilight Zone episode, or one of the TZ copies? Some woman is trapped in a bunker with a guy who seems crazy, telling her nuclear war happened and he saved her life. In the end it turns out that a local atomic plant had a melt down and the rest of the country if fine.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OutsideAngel posted:

PoI starts average and gets better and better and better the longer you watch, until it winds up being absolutely amazing, as the true plots start coming to the fore. However, I will need you to retract your slanderous lies regarding Jesus Christ.

I really liked 10 Cloverfield Lane, but I am a huge fan of both the leads (Everyone is a fan of John Goodman of course) and I liked where it went at the end. At any rate it did a great job with the tension, I felt.

I watched What Happened To Monday? the other day and I thought it was pretty good, though it wouldn't have been nearly as good without Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Willem Dafoe, and Glenn Close. At any rate, it's short enough that I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a decent sci-fi movie, even if it does one or two rather silly bits.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Mister Adequate posted:

I watched What Happened To Monday? the other day and I thought it was pretty good, though it wouldn't have been nearly as good without Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Noomi Rapace, Willem Dafoe, and Glenn Close. At any rate, it's short enough that I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a decent sci-fi movie, even if it does one or two rather silly bits.

Don't believe this skelly-dooter's lies. This movie is just godawful.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Oldstench posted:

What Happened to Monday is the one about the one-child law and the 7 sisters?

It had some cool scenes. Sometimes if you're bored it's worth it just for the sick-nasty bits.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

wormil posted:

Oops, I should have figured that out.

I felt like making him actually creepy was a sell out. It would have been more interesting if it had just been her imagination running away. Wasn't that also the plot of a Twilight Zone episode, or one of the TZ copies? Some woman is trapped in a bunker with a guy who seems crazy, telling her nuclear war happened and he saved her life. In the end it turns out that a local atomic plant had a melt down and the rest of the country if fine.

I don't remember that episode, but the very first episode of TZ deals with a guy who thinks he is the only survivor of a neutron bomb attack but is in fact being studied by the government to see how the mind would react to such a situation.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Why does the sisters have an accent when they all grew up only talking to each other and Willem Dafoe?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

1redflag posted:

I'll have to look again! The search on the PS4 amazon app is pretty lovely sometimes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

1redflag posted:

I don't remember that episode, but the very first episode of TZ deals with a guy who thinks he is the only survivor of a neutron bomb attack but is in fact being studied by the government to see how the mind would react to such a situation.

There's another one where a rich guy gathers together three people he felt screwed him over and tells them the apocalypse is about to happen, and they need to beg for his forgiveness to stay in his bunker but all three of them tell him he deserved what he got and that they'd rather die than live the rest of their lives around him and then he goes crazy from being owned so hard and thinks nuclear war happened and the outside world is nothing but ruins, even though it's perfectly fine

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's another one where a rich guy gathers together three people he felt screwed him over and tells them the apocalypse is about to happen, and they need to beg for his forgiveness to stay in his bunker but all three of them tell him he deserved what he got and that they'd rather die than live the rest of their lives around him and then he goes crazy from being owned so hard and thinks nuclear war happened and the outside world is nothing but ruins, even though it's perfectly fine

Lol. Twilight Zone kicks so much rear end.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Oldstench posted:

What Happened to Monday is total poo poo and I felt robbed of time after I watched it.

New Peaky Blinders drops today, hopefully it's good. Love me some Cilian Murphy scene chewing.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

New Peaky Blinders drops today, hopefully it's good. Love me some Cilian Murphy scene chewing.

Tom Hardy's scene chewing steals the show whenever he shows up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I finished S2 of Love and I don't really feel the point was character development but to show us two very flawed people who can't escape themselves and will probably be forever lonely. The characters started as believable but fell into the trap of their traits being exaggerated for forced drama. It got so depressing, don't know if I will watch S3. I mean, I will, but I won't want to.

1redflag posted:

Lol. Twilight Zone kicks so much rear end.

Also the one about the guy in the bunker full of books. Apoc happens and he's cozy in his bunker with all his books then breaks his glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What Happened to Monday is total poo poo and I felt robbed of time after I watched it.

I didn't finish the last season. Is Sam Neill still in it?

e: I'm about to start in on Glitch season 2 and that will suffice