Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Ciaphas posted:

What the everliving gently caress that shat out so much damage.

Guess I know what I'm trying next, how hardcore is the budget to get going on that?

for that specific build, A Lot because he's dual wielding poet's pens

a regular VD build is fairly budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Insurrectionist posted:

Souls Wick seems like it'd be interesting to combo with some kind of charge granting with Power Charges, although having never played minions before much less crit minions I dunno how useful it'd really be if you can't boost their crit multi.

Also does anyone know if the duration imposed by the jewel is affected by increased/decreased skill duration?

Power charges give you increased crit chance. That's already covered by the jewel. What you'd want is increased crit multiplier on minions (which I don't think is possible) or something else that benefits from lots of crits on minions.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Yeah poet's pen shot through the roof recently. I remember seeing them under 10c now they're nearly 40

That one's gonna get hit hard

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

for that specific build, A Lot because he's dual wielding poet's pens

a regular VD build is fairly budget

Pens make that build extra expensive but the VD enchant is pretty important for both bosses and clearspeed, and it's minimum 5 exalts to buy it, or 8 exalts if you want it on a helm that actually does anything else.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zana, please sign me up for as many +300% experience gain map dailies as you have ty. 72-74 on a single map is a great ride.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Eminai posted:

Pens make that build extra expensive but the VD enchant is pretty important for both bosses and clearspeed, and it's minimum 5 exalts to buy it, or 8 exalts if you want it on a helm that actually does anything else.

ah.

well, good luck

e: cant you also just do a cremation setup if you have the room, altho i guess that doesnt solve the clearspeed issue

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 17, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Zana, please sign me up for as many +300% experience gain map dailies as you have ty. 72-74 on a single map is a great ride.

taint is great, congrats

also it used to be a droppable (and tradeable) map

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ghostlight posted:

Remember to invite goons or sell slots to pubbies when you get an untainted paradise, since it won't negatively impact your exp gain (aside from people possibly being idiots and spreading out too far) :toot:

That's directed at everybody new(ish), not specifically you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Eminai posted:

yaharghlbl guess i'm not doing that next after all :(

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

They really hosed up the damage on volatile dead. This is doing easily twice if not three times as much damage as it should be. It is a dumb dumb thing.

So. I have a story.

I've been away from this game for a couple months, so I'm naturally rusty. I came by to check out what the VD shenanigans are. In my mid-40s, I was starting to notice I felt kind of squishy and while I was killing stuff, but I wasn't killing too quickly, so I'd get overwhelmed sometimes.

'Man, I'm clearly rusty,' I told myself. 'I also really need to upgrade my level 20s gear, and probably just need to play better in general.'

Then around level 55, I'd realized that I'd right-clicked off VD early on because I lacked the dex to level it. I'd been leveling using level 1 VD this entire time, up til the mid-50s. The fact that I thought it was something wrong with me, rather than something seriously awry, speaks volumes as to how broken VD is.

Level 55.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
THAT SAID, I just zerged Kitava and started lowbie maps. Is it a build/gear issue (I still have a lot of gear that needs upgrading), or did they up the difficulty on lower-tier maps? I'd expected to faceroll maps until high yellow/low red as I had in the past, when Merc Malachai harder than any of the maps up to that point. Now I have to play carefully around rare packs, and it's a 50-50 on whether I can kill the boss deathless.

Again, I haven't played for a couple months so I'm rusty, plus it's my first time playing a self-cast caster, so I don't even know how defense layering works for casters. All I know is to stack life, MoM, and... Arctic Armour? (Do people even run Arctic Armour anymore?)

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

facepalmolive posted:

THAT SAID, I just zerged Kitava and started lowbie maps. Is it a build/gear issue (I still have a lot of gear that needs upgrading), or did they up the difficulty on lower-tier maps? I'd expected to faceroll maps until high yellow/low red as I had in the past, when Merc Malachai harder than any of the maps up to that point. Now I have to play carefully around rare packs, and it's a 50-50 on whether I can kill the boss deathless.

Again, I haven't played for a couple months so I'm rusty, plus it's my first time playing a self-cast caster, so I don't even know how defense layering works for casters. All I know is to stack life, MoM, and... Arctic Armour? (Do people even run Arctic Armour anymore?)

they're a bit tougher and they shuffled some bosses around so some of the earlier maps have some nasty bosses (old cemetery bosses in graveyard, warband bosses, the pen boss can also hurt)

in general though you should be fine going up to yellow maps at least just spending 1-2c per slot on some upgrades

i still don't think they're quite as dangerous as kitava except maybe graveyard's bosses but if you weren't able to do him deathless you should definitely look into gear upgrades

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yes, mapping starts out more difficult imo

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
unless you're RF. i started mapping by deleting everything instantaneously as i blast through shield charging.

hc is a different game though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Unless you're me and you rip your first T15 (Lava Lake Kitava).

Kitava himself ain't that bad, it's the fact that his adds hit like trucks (the fire breath is also pretty nasty).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Was told today that sharing a red map zana that gives 2x the exp of a daily instead of my daily in a rotation is morally and ethically wrong, thoughts?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 17, 2017

Svensken
May 29, 2010
You met a dumb person, imo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just made my first character and I'm going to go full chaos contagion/essence drain occultist. I was planning on eschewing all health for energy shield and picking up chaos inoculation. Is this viable?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My wife and I got back into the game after not playing in a few years -- the last time we played there were only three acts). We're getting into act 6, and while we're doing plenty of DPS, we're starting to to have a lot of survivability issues, especially on story bosses (and abysses, but it sounds like a lot of people are finding them difficult).

She's playing a Cyclone build that will eventually transition into using Ngamahu. She's skipping the projectile passives for now, and she's taken a few extra life nodes in the meantime.

I'm doing Glacial Cascade Totems, which is a little more survivable just because I'm generally staying back from enemies. I still get insta-popped by certain boss attacks though.

Most of the guides don't mention a lot about defense, especially in an "if you're dying a lot, do this" sort of way. We're favoring +life on gear, though I honestly don't know how to balance armor, evasion, and/or energy shield. Usually if an item has good damage stats and slots, we haven't worried about which defensive stats it has.

What else can we do? I assume the game is going to keep getting more difficult through part 2.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

WhiteHowler posted:

My wife and I got back into the game after not playing in a few years -- the last time we played there were only three acts). We're getting into act 6, and while we're doing plenty of DPS, we're starting to to have a lot of survivability issues, especially on story bosses (and abysses, but it sounds like a lot of people are finding them difficult).

She's playing a Cyclone build that will eventually transition into using Ngamahu. She's skipping the projectile passives for now, and she's taken a few extra life nodes in the meantime.

I'm doing Glacial Cascade Totems, which is a little more survivable just because I'm generally staying back from enemies. I still get insta-popped by certain boss attacks though.

Most of the guides don't mention a lot about defense, especially in an "if you're dying a lot, do this" sort of way. We're favoring +life on gear, though I honestly don't know how to balance armor, evasion, and/or energy shield. Usually if an item has good damage stats and slots, we haven't worried about which defensive stats it has.

What else can we do? I assume the game is going to keep getting more difficult through part 2.

What are your resists at? After Act 5, your resists all got dinged by 30%. Act 6 makes you feel this immediately, especially your fire resistance. My first character died constantly in act 6 because I didn't respect the fact that the game ramps up elemental damage really hard on the expectation that you're capping them.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Look out for defensive upgrades in gloves/helm/chest slots especially as you keep leveling. Do your best to get resists up. One of you should pick up Decoy Totem and throw it around from time to time.

A tip: even if the final build doesn't have +resists on the tree, they're often amazing pick-ups while leveling if you're pathing near them. For your builds it sounds like you might be picking them up anyway, but if not, use Path of Building and search 'resist' on the skill tree to see if any are near you - Barbarism and Diamond Skin are both down in the Marauder area which I assume you're both heading to eventually (you for Life nodes, she pathing to Resolute Technique). Assuming she started as a Ranger (though also true for Duelist) she should also grab Cloth and Chain on the way there too.

Jewels are really cheap this league so you can also try buying jewels with resists/life for an alch or two and path into a couple slots on the way. Just watch out for level requirements.

I leveled my Ngamahu as Sunder so I can't give too much advice on leveling Cyclone specifically sadly.

E: Also, flasks. Granite/Jade are overpowered as all hell while leveling since it gives a static amount of armor/evasion. Make sure she's using those! Combined with a Stibnite and she should be almost unkillable by anything but degens and area attacks while under their effect.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So this league my usual go-to Elemental Equilibrium skill, Ball Lightning, isn't going to work because the friend I play with is running a Spark build; is there a cold damage spell that's roughly equivalent (a piercing aoe projectile)? I don't want to give up EE because it's a nice damage boost, but I also don't want to gently caress over his damage.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Lycosidae prices are crazy now, I've finally grinded up the 180 chaos, it's the same price as a 5link 2 off colour belly with perfect life. I am loath to spend this amount of currency on a level 11 shield.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Frostbolt. Not as much area coverage but pierces

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man I made it to lvl 72 with my very first crafted 6l and my seasonal job starts tomorrow. Have fun in the name of your Peruvian goon friend :(

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Stangg posted:

Lycosidae prices are crazy now, I've finally grinded up the 180 chaos, it's the same price as a 5link 2 off colour belly with perfect life. I am loath to spend this amount of currency on a level 11 shield.

I think it's useless now. Without even trying I have like a 86%+ chance to hit enemies so I don't think the miss chances are that bad.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Last season I played a Summon Flaming Skull build, and would like to play a more tank / life-leeching oriented build. What is a good cheap build for that?

Svensken
May 29, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

Last season I played a Summon Flaming Skull build, and would like to play a more tank / life-leeching oriented build. What is a good cheap build for that?

Sounds like you want to play a Berserker. All the life leech you'd ever want and they moved (a nerfed) Vaal Pact even closer to Marauder's start.

Alternatively, you could go Slayer and abuse its interaction with the new Vaal Pact.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Dizz posted:

I think it's useless now. Without even trying I have like a 86%+ chance to hit enemies so I don't think the miss chances are that bad.

Don't forget that crits have to roll accuracy again after the initial hit. That said I don't see lyco being worth that kind of cash.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Dizz posted:

I'm playing crit ele bladeflurry inquisitor, so it allows me to spec out of accuracy (as you want to be as close to 95% as you can get) and also drop accuracy on all of my gear. Without even replacing my jewellery yet I already doubled my dps and I was at 91% to hit. 86% chance to hit is terrible for a crit build.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I mentioned in guild chat, but I accidentally vendored my 40% belly of the beast in ASC. I don't imagine there's any way to get it back, but that was worth more than the sum of all my other stuff in the league. Shitballs.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Edit: Never mind, I'm bad with names.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 17, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Am I correct in assuming that item rarity gear is extra valuable now because it'll increase the amount of shaper/elder items you will find dropping from the increased amount of rares overall?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Probably still not worth prioritizing imo

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

hawowanlawow posted:

I just made my first character and I'm going to go full chaos contagion/essence drain occultist. I was planning on eschewing all health for energy shield and picking up chaos inoculation. Is this viable?

I'm no expert, but I think you may have a bad time doing this as your first character. There's nothing wrong with CI, or essence drain, (they are both fun and strong) but levelling ES is really rough, especially if you aren't familiar with the encounters. I'd probably go life or at least hybrid, and then in act 10, once you get a solid ES chest and helmet, refunding your life nodes, picking up CI, and repathing to some ES nodes at that point - some time in the late 60s. The game throws a ton of respec points your way throughout the campaign, so it's not really cost prohibitive as long as you know the respec is coming.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dizz posted:

86% is not very good for a crit build

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Awesome! posted:

86% is not very good for a crit build

Especially because you have to 'confirm' a crit by rolling accuracy again (otherwise it's just a regular hit). So even if you had 100% crit chance, you'd only actually land a crit 74% of the time.

Also Flicker Strike is a loving experience, especially if you have Slayer splash and Ancestral Call so you can delete an entire pack at once.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ancestral call works with flicker strike ????!?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

euphronius posted:

Ancestral call works with flicker strike ????!?

It's a single-target skill! Graphically it's not impressive, but it helps a ton for pack clearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ah I guess reading up on it melee splash works just as well.