Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

hanales posted:

Well if infrastructure week ever comes we can worry.
I always get beaten to the INFRASTRUCTURE WEEK jokes but I wanted to at least chime in to say I appreciate this :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Rinkles posted:

a little slipshod

Fuckin flawless my man

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I remember a few months back when Hurricaine Harvey hit the Houston metropolitan area that Trump pledged to donate a million dollars to the relief fund. Did that donation ever come through, or was it another one of his many lies?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Area Goons Shocked to Discover Democratic Senator From Alabama Isn't a Radical Leftist Firebrand.

Seriously, though, of course Doug Jones would say that he'll work with Republicans if they can find common ground. And of course he's not going to make a (pointless) call for the president to resign. Neither of those things is particularly surprising or worthy of outrage.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I always get beaten to the INFRASTRUCTURE WEEK jokes but I wanted to at least chime in to say I appreciate this :shobon:

:hfive:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

i am harry posted:

eIGHT loving YEARS of Obama failing every single time at trying to bridge the gap, plus one year of the morally devoid in power, flagrantly not giving a poo poo about anyone, let alone any rule, or any understood agreement, AND YOU FUCKS STILL GOD drat WANT TO SHAKE THEIR loving HANDS

WHAT

IS

WRONG

WITH

YOU

:same:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

It also feels a little weak coming from Jones. If Gillibrand said that, I'd be a lot more pissed off.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

DaveWoo posted:

Area Goons Shocked to Discover Democratic Senator From Alabama Isn't a Radical Leftist Firebrand.

Seriously, though, of course Doug Jones would say that he'll work with Republicans if they can find common ground. And of course he's not going to make a (pointless) call for the president to resign. Neither of those things is particularly surprising or worthy of outrage.

It's not about being a radical leftist. Everyone needs to acknowledge that bipartisanship is dead and no one with a D next to their name is allowed to be a weak link. Frankly I don't care about impeachment that much but gently caress working with the republicans.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
New call

https://twitter.com/presssec/status/942439157330268165

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

mcmagic posted:

This is meaningless. What he said about Trump's sexual assault crimes was more much troubling.

What did he say

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I think saying you'll work with Republicans if they come up with something that you would like to propose isn't that extreme. It's just that they are unlikely to propose something that would meet those criteria.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

“Vlad they have all our emails!”

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm sure THIS time the polite centrist will get his Good Boy Points from conservatives. Surely they HAVE to recognize his level of decorum and won't call him a communist and pray for his death.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Until words start matching the actions, I’m not gonna flip out about what a random Senator says

I’m willing to bet that leadership fully understands that Republicans are not willing to play fair but they have to say these things in order to not rile up the press and have attention shift onto them away from the Republicans

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dmitri-9 posted:

It's not about being a radical leftist. Everyone needs to acknowledge that bipartisanship is dead and no one with a D next to their name is allowed to be a weak link. Frankly I don't care about impeachment that much but gently caress working with the republicans.

As noted upthread, this is a standard line people say after getting elected. If there's something people can work with in a bipartisan fashion, they'd like to. And I don't doubt it - I'm certain there's a ton of lawmakers that dream of doing something reasonable and popular amongst all Americans. The last thing I can think of in that regard is probably the ABLE Act of 2014. And since that's not the world we currently live in, Jones (and Northam, to an extent) can express a desire to do normal things, knowing that the other side probably can't find the political will to do so. Getting mad at Jones for saying he's down for Infrastructure is insane. Getting mad at Northam is internet leftism run riot, because you're attacking him for what you WISH he was. Unless the special election and a recount flips the HoD, Northam likely doesn't have the votes to expand Medicaid this winter in any case.

Keep sipping the tea, friends, and keep mobilizing people to vote in primaries.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So random question, but what is the story with Rasmussen? Are they a poll controlled by conservatives or does it just naturally skew towards GOP based on methods? I feel like without them Trump's collective approval rating is in the low 30s, and they are a huge outlier consistently in the low 40s.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

So random question, but what is the story with Rasmussen? Are they a poll controlled by conservatives or does it just naturally skew towards GOP based on methods? I feel like without them Trump's collective approval rating is in the low 30s, and they are a huge outlier consistently in the low 40s.

yes, yes

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Rasmussen predicted a Romney landslide.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So the Fox news crowd hounded Hillary over an email server that was not accessible by FOIA (in their eyes). When the Trump transition team use what they assume is an email server only they control, they are up in arms when a member of the US Government gets access to investigate potential wrongdoing? That about right?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I know it's fun to pretend that every bill is a good vs evil final showdown but there is like 700 bills passed a year and most of them are boring nonpartisan stuff no one cares about that get support and dissent from either side with no huge republican vs democrat sticking point. And democrats do need to be able to work on that or you we just get the freedom caucus that exists just to break the government and not do anything.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mercury Ballistic posted:

So the Fox news crowd hounded Hillary over an email server that was not accessible by FOIA (in their eyes). When the Trump transition team use what they assume is an email server only they control, they are up in arms when a member of the US Government gets access to investigate potential wrongdoing? That about right?

Its kind of dumber because they actively tried to make sure no one would ever know it existed and even if they did that it would ever see the light of day, the only thing they could have done worse is if they actively ordered the server deleted but they apparently thought thats what Hillary did and probably the only reason they didnt.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Koalas March posted:

What did he say

Basically echoed republican talking points about how it was litigated in the election and that we should "move on."

Horribly tone deaf.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Carlosologist posted:

Until words start matching the actions, I’m not gonna flip out about what a random Senator says

I’m willing to bet that leadership fully understands that Republicans are not willing to play fair but they have to say these things in order to not rile up the press and have attention shift onto them away from the Republicans

Even aside from that, it's entirely consistent to say you won't turn down a good idea just because Republicans support it, and to believe the such an event is entirely theoretical. No matter how left you are. As opposed to Trump and other Republicans tearing down stuff they liked not long ago just because Obama supported it too.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Democrats will never stop surprising me with their ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Seriously how do you take this wave of anti-republican support and fumble the ball...oh right, the dems are paid by the same lobbyists as the pubs...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Parrotine posted:

I remember a few months back when Hurricaine Harvey hit the Houston metropolitan area that Trump pledged to donate a million dollars to the relief fund. Did that donation ever come through, or was it another one of his many lies?
He never said that. The Press Secretary made some mention that he was going to donate the million, but within 24 hours she was walking that claim back and it never appeared again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hanales posted:

“Vlad they have all our emails!”
"Trump, dearest of all my friends! You were supposed to keep this poo poo under the lid!"

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

"Trump, dearest of all my friends! You were supposed to keep this poo poo under the lid!"

Now everyone will know about the big surprise party they were planning. Good going GSA it’s all ruined.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I know it's fun to pretend that every bill is a good vs evil final showdown but there is like 700 bills passed a year and most of them are boring nonpartisan stuff no one cares about that get support and dissent from either side with no huge republican vs democrat sticking point. And democrats do need to be able to work on that or you we just get the freedom caucus that exists just to break the government and not do anything.

The entire existence of the HFC is weird. Why are we electing representatives who think the purpose of government is to be violently burnt to the ground and erased?

Alexander-Murray was a drat good idea that should have had bipartisan support since it would prevent health insurers from being able to double dip from increased APTCs paid by the government due to the premium price hike while also eventually clawing back the missed CSR payments in court. So any fiscal conservative should have been all over that since it would save money. But nope.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
While all of you scream about Doug Jones for daring to possibly vote on an infrastructure bill that doesn't exist yet I find it interesting that this hasn't been crossposted:

quote:

Union organisers are hoping that the surprise election of Democrat Doug Jones to a Senate seat in Alabama this week could be a big win for organized labor in a state that has long fought to curtail their power.

As big auto factories have set up shop in southern states Republican politicians have worked hard to defeat the unions, particularly the United Auto Workers which has lost a number of key battles to anti-union forces. Jones is pledging to do something different: use his Senate office to actually help workers organise.

On the stump in Alabama, Jones bragged of growing up in a union family as the grandson of unionized steelworkers both employed by US Steel in Birmingham. Jones himself worked a summer job as a member of the steelworkers at US Steel Fairfield Works in order to pay his way through college.

“Doug is one of those unique guys that comes from a working-class background made good by going to law school,” said Daniel Flippo, the steelworkers director for Alabama.

After law school, Jones worked as a lawyer at the firm of Whatley Drake, where he represented unions.

“The steelworkers run deep in his family,” said Flippo. “To have a senator from the state of Alabama that has those roots means a lot. You don’t see that often and that is why we worked so hard on this campaign.”

Jones has already told labor leaders that he is going to hire a full time labor liaison to coordinate his efforts on behalf of Alabama’s labor movement. Jones’s office could play a tremendous role in engaging political and community leaders to get behind efforts to organize the state’s growing auto industry.

Once a stronghold of organized labor, Alabama traditionally boasted a unionization rate that was twice that of its southern neighbors and on par even with some states in the North.

With wall-to-wall unionization at the Tennessee Valley Authority, Goodyear, United Steel, and in the coal mines of Northern Alabama, many there still have fond memories of organized labor and hail from union families like Jones.

In 1993, Alabama’s union membership peaked at 14.7%. However, in recent years, Alabama’s unionization rate has dipped to a mere 8.1% of the state’s population belonging to a union.

As the state’s Senator, Jones has pledged to organized labor to use his office and platform to help workers seeking to organize in the state’s growing auto industry.

Already, Jones’s victory has created a renewed sense of what’s possible among those engaged in the uphill struggle to organize a 6,000-person Mercedes plant in Tuscaloosa County, where Jones won by 57%.

“We’re happy about it,” said Mercedes worker Kirk Garner, who has been involved in efforts to organize the plant since 1997. “That’s one more tool that we will have and I think it will help a lot with Doug having a union background.”

Many of Garner’s co-workers worked to elect Jones to the Senate and the confidence in their ability to win in tough fights could help give new energy to the UAW’s drive at the plant, which has been gaining ground in recent months.

Currently, the Mercedes Alabama plant is the only non-union plant owned worldwide by Daimler AG, Mercedes’ parent company.

The company claims that it would remain neutral in its attempt to organize the plant. However, the UAW has long contended that Mercedes has illegally retaliated against workers and filled multiple National Labor Relations Board complaints to protest the firings of pro-union workers.

In 2014, the National Labor Relations Board found that Mercedes illegally restricted the ability of workers to distribute pro-union literature.

Workers at the plant say that in order for workers succeed in unionizing, pressure will have to be applied to Mercedes to remain totally neutral.

Now with an ally in Jones, workers at the plant say they feel more optimistic that they can bring to bear the type of pressure needed to organize the plant.

“It’s gonna require a lot of pressure,” said Garner.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Trump did in fact donate the one million.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/942446697627693056?s=17

lol nothing matters. Evil won, good lost.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hot take: Until he actually votes for a lovely bill, freaking the gently caress out about Doug Jones saying "I might vote with Republicans if they can write a bill that isn't garbage" is really loving stupid.

Voters generally like the notion of compromise, they just also think that "compromise" is a synonym for "I win."

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 17, 2017

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Koalas March posted:

What did he say

“Don’t launch the nukes you moron, I said no! Bad puppet!”

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Angry_Ed posted:

While all of you scream about Doug Jones for daring to possibly vote on an infrastructure bill that doesn't exist yet I find it interesting that this hasn't been crossposted:

HAIL STAN

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Looking at the last three pages some of the most miserable people on the Earth are in this thread. There's got to be a dozens of you that roam around the internet looking for stuff to be pissed about, pouring over news for menucha that you can throw and scream "they're all the same".

If that's not enough you'll have some stupid loving derail during which half of you will pull out your hair and render your clothes while screeching about some shity philosopher from 15 years ago. Or tipping. Or who's the poorest like it's a competition.

There's a half-dozen major news stories kind of circulating right now that would be a really interesting topic for the Trump thread, being as they all have something to do with Trump. But that gets glossed over during The NeverEnding Purity circle jerk that half of you seem to be just determined to turn everything into.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Holy poo poo he actually did a thing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

bird cooch posted:

Looking at the last three pages some of the most miserable people on the Earth are in this thread. There's got to be a dozens of you that roam around the internet looking for stuff to be pissed about, pouring over news for menucha that you can throw and scream "they're all the same".

If that's not enough you'll have some stupid loving derail during which half of you will pull out your hair and render your clothes while screeching about some shity philosopher from 15 years ago. Or tipping. Or who's the poorest like it's a competition.

There's a half-dozen major news stories kind of circulating right now that would be a really interesting topic for the Trump thread, being as they all have something to do with Trump. But that gets glossed over during The NeverEnding Purity circle jerk that half of you seem to be just determined to turn everything into.

:same:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

bird cooch posted:

I think you'll find USPol is over there.

But seriously, y'all have no idea how big the union-car thing in Alabama is. UAW has been on a crusade in the deep south to unionize plants throughout the Obama years with next to no help, and Jones giving a boost is the thin edge of the wedge we actually need to get going. Once people see how much better it can be, the dominoes are going to be beautiful to behold. If there's one thing they need more than anything down there, it's a path to the middle class that doesn't involve a bus ticket north.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

bird cooch posted:

B-b-b-but... you didn't post a dog tax. :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Posting about topics you want discussed is a more effective way of steering conversation than yet another post whining about what other people are talking about, hth

• Locked thread