Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

How do so many Meis not understand what to do when it says "RUN FOR YOUR LIFE" on the screen?

No, idiots, we shouldn't group up around the fourth piece of meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

thexerox123 posted:

I hope they give McCree a third ability at some point. They should give him a lasso.

The way they talked about it when changing Mercy to have rez as an additional cooldown ability and gave D-va her rockets that seems to be their wish. Hanzo seems a good candidate to give him more utility since he does little more than move and shoot right now, with a movement passive that is actually slightly less than Genji's. Lasso seems to have too much in common with Flashbang though, in fact I could picture the original design being a lasso and a flashbang just being easier to implement. I'd suggest a ricochet shot that bounces off walls and hits multiple targets but Scatter Arrow is bad enough.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I agree, give hanzo flashbang

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thoughtless posted:

Pharah since you don't need to track much, just predict your shots.

Or Soldier since you can spray so much you're bound to hit something.

Twibbit posted:

Reaper actually. Pont roughly towards them and shoot. Getting close enough without dying is a challenge but not an aiming based one.

Thanks, I'll try these three and see which one is most fun.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I agree, give hanzo flashbang

Flashbang arrows. Done.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Pingiivi posted:

Flashbang arrows. Done.

If Blizzard wanted to give flashbang arrows to Hanzo and ricochet bullets to McCree , they could instantly get 100% community approval by saying the two heroes got each other's abilities because they're dating.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I don't mind changes to Hanzo as long as they permanently change his arrow-hitboxes to reflect the actual model.
I can't tell you how annoying it is to see an arrow fly 3feet to the side, only for it to count as a headshot.

If a character is so broken that you have to give it larger invisible hitboxes to make it work, then something's wrong.
Same goes with Genji's Reflect/Ult hitboxes being way larger than the sword animations.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
It's basically every hitbox in this game due to a combination of them being oversized and the client prioritizing the attacker.

Rein's hammer for example will hit you waaaay outside of its visual range. Same with his charge, which will sometimes suck you into it even though you're nowhere near it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Thoughtless posted:

It's basically every hitbox in this game due to a combination of them being oversized and the client prioritizing the attacker.

Rein's hammer for example will hit you waaaay outside of its visual range. Same with his charge, which will sometimes suck you into it even though you're nowhere near it.

I feel it has to do with Blizzard never having done an multiplayer FPS before. They were smart enough to build off basic TF2 designs, but miss the mark on some of the more 'technical' behind the scenes stuff.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

I don't mind changes to Hanzo as long as they permanently change his arrow-hitboxes to reflect the actual model.
I can't tell you how annoying it is to see an arrow fly 3feet to the side, only for it to count as a headshot.

If a character is so broken that you have to give it larger invisible hitboxes to make it work, then something's wrong.
Same goes with Genji's Reflect/Ult hitboxes being way larger than the sword animations.

i don't think you are being serious because you're also the guy who has an existential fear of dying from 1 shot in a video game

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Up Circle posted:

i don't think you are being serious because you're also the guy who has an existential fear of dying from 1 shot in a video game

I believe there's a space for 1-shots in video games. Either it's designed around it like Quake Railgun matches or it's balanced around it like Doomfist/Roadhog having drawbacks in order to do so.

But it's cool though, we'll stick with old, lovely designs if it makes you feel better.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
https://i.imgur.com/JzDHLVu.mp4

Ugh can I stop playing this game now?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Only if you were the dva, sorry

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Dutymode posted:

https://i.imgur.com/JzDHLVu.mp4

Ugh can I stop playing this game now?
Well done. I really wish that more Orisas would attempt that sort of thing when I bomb. It's every bit as effective as graviton or hammer down, but you're not wasting a second ult to get it done.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Montalvo posted:

What's the best least painful DPS to learn if my aiming is awful and I'm on console? I main supports and tanks but figure I should learn a DPS to 'flex.'

junkrat's the best dps in the game and you can just spam a doorway with grenades or w/e

pharah's kinda the same and it's harder for people to deal with her flying around on console

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Hanzo's third ability is taking a swig of SAKE!

once you've had ten in a match, he just goes to sleep in a corner.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Thor-Stryker posted:

I believe they tried exactly that in testing, but had the issue where it was just too hard for Hanzo to land hits. It's a rough thing to balance where either Hanzo or the target is going to be unsatisfied, and they erred on Hanzo's side.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that change was live for a while and they reverted it, yea. they also tried making the hitbox bigger but I forget if they changed that back too

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Thor-Stryker posted:

I believe there's a space for 1-shots in video games. Either it's designed around it like Quake Railgun matches or it's balanced around it like Doomfist/Roadhog having drawbacks in order to do so.

But it's cool though, we'll stick with old, lovely designs if it makes you feel better.

They did this and it made hanzo unplayable. There's room in the game for the characters you don't personally like to play.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I believe they tried exactly that in testing, but had the issue where it was just too hard for Hanzo to land hits. It's a rough thing to balance where either Hanzo or the target is going to be unsatisfied, and they erred on Hanzo's side.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that change was live for a while and they reverted it, yea. they also tried making the hitbox bigger but I forget if they changed that back too

Sade posted:

They did this and it made hanzo unplayable. There's room in the game for the characters you don't personally like to play.

We saw how they balanced it, they barely increased the velocity when they shrunk the boxes. Tribes was able to do 1-to-1 projectiles back in 2001, why is a set of modern developers having so much issue now?

If it feels bad, then increase the speed to make it easier to land hits. If it needs to be extremely high-velocity, then it's fine as long as people aren't getting clipped 3-feet to the left of their actual position. Other positives to decreasing hitbox size is that body/leg shots will be less likely to register as a headshot, and increasing velocity would make Hanzo more competitive and less gimmicky.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Just make Hanzo's arrows hitscan :unsmigghh:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Just make Hanzo's arrows hitscan :unsmigghh:

hitscan beam, the length of an arrow

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

It's just him holding an arrow

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Pingiivi posted:

Flashbang arrows. Done.

no, he's meant to get res arrows, get it straight

Thor-Stryker posted:

Ironically he's got some new no-reg issues since the latest patch and it sucks a lot seeing an arrow pass through someone's head or just disappear into it but with no corresponding damage. :smith:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

We saw how they balanced it, they barely increased the velocity when they shrunk the boxes. Tribes was able to do 1-to-1 projectiles back in 2001, why is a set of modern developers having so much issue now?

Because the kind of person knowledgeable enough to get that working, savvy enough to get it's prerequisite networking logistics approved by suits who don't play their company's products, and dedicated enough to see the whole project through, is enough of those things to make five times as much money outside the Professional Video James sector. Or at the very least take their skills and passions outside AAA hellholes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Keep Hanzo's arrows at their current speed, but give him the ability to steer them in flight so he can guide them into targets and curve them around obstacles.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

People, people, people;

Boxing glove arrow.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I mean, with sonic arrow, scatter arrow and his ult it seems clear that hanzo is meant to be an anti-cover sharpshooter and with his wall climb he's meant to have a lot of vertical mobility. With all that in mind, I think the change they should make to his bow is replace it with the gauss gun from half life 1 deathmatch.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I always thought McCree having a flashbang was funny. You've got this stereotypical cowboy with a stetson, boots with spurs, a six shooter, and of course not let's forget the most iconic item of all: a flashbang. I'd love to know if Blizzard ever tried to explain why this fits with the *~lore~*.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Mcree is in fact based off of the cowboy from El Topo, which I feel explains most of his character design decisions

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

yergacheffe posted:

I always thought McCree having a flashbang was funny. You've got this stereotypical cowboy with a stetson, boots with spurs, a six shooter, and of course not let's forget the most iconic item of all: a flashbang. I'd love to know if Blizzard ever tried to explain why this fits with the *~lore~*.

He stole them when he quit.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I loving love getting Legendary skins after playing like garbage

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

The balance/drawback is that Hanzo is a pretty poo poo hero outside of scatter arrow, which isn't even a magical 100% guaranteed OHKO like you're pretending it is. The geometry of Overwatch maps is anything but simple.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I got my first 6x kill. :toot:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ashcans posted:

Keep Hanzo's arrows at their current speed, but give him the ability to steer them in flight so he can guide them into targets and curve them around obstacles.

Meet the new Hanzo

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

mcbexx posted:

Meet the new Hanzo

Doesn't he have a bit of that in the Two Dragons cinematic? Not manually controlled but a bunch of twisting in the air.

Was only semi-joking about a boxing glove arrow, maybe a sort of concussion charge that works like Rocket Punch, so you can knock people off the level and score extra damage by smashing them in a wall.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 18, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

yergacheffe posted:

It actually kind of works if you think of them as quarter sticks of dynamite

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

yergacheffe posted:

They were originally going to have him stun with a crack of a whip. Then they decided a whip is too cool an idea to not base a whole hero around and swapped out McCree's whip for flashbangs.

Then they proceeded to not give us a whip character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I wonder if people what would happen, if instead of hanzo being able to select the arrow type as it is drawn in the bow- it had to be selected prior to being drawn...

This could remove some of the frustration for scatter arrow, as nothing seems a little less than irritating when playing as tracer, I'm flanking the back line, I spot a hanzo with arrow drawn, and he whips around, scatter arrows the ground, defeating me...

With having to select prior to having the bow drawn, would mean that - if the player was ready to fire at long distance, they would have to release the current arrow they have drawn, select a scatter arrow, and then fire that one - giving the flanker characters a bit more play involver rather than hoping for less than a one-hit kill...