Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

business hammocks posted:

Of course he’s got The Bell Curve displayed on his shelf—he probably picked out every book on that shelf just for that picture. “Adorno! That will get the cucks talking! And Hegel, just to show how smart I am after dropping out of graduate school after three semesters because Paul Gottfried thought I was too racist for him to keep working with.”

Not to mention the stories of Chekhov. Seventy years ago, people like him considered Russians subhumans. Now Putin is their Aryan daddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Inescapable Duck posted:

LF was the only place on the whole drat internet where leftists seemed to actually be enjoying themselves. I really think a big thing that drew people into the kekistan bullshit initially is that every other politically tinged place on the internet was full of humourless histrionic killjoys to various degrees, basically a choice between tumblr, tankies and stormfront. LF and now C-SPAM have the near unprecedented thing of marxists who make jokes.

I'll drink to this.

I went through a dark period in the mid-2000s where it seemed like the right side of the aisle had the smarter, funnier people, particularly when the blogosphere was a big thing and you had all these thinkpiece personalities who knew pop culture and were fond of mixing clever self-aware comedy with their seemingly harmless and virtuous nationalism. Leftists universally seemed to be about rules and prohibitions and ideological purity, and I think that's what alt-right types still see when they look across the way and go TRIGGLYPUFF LMAO

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Laissez's Faire was a Lovecraftian adventure in ideology which at first you instinctually reject, but whose nightmare weighs upon the mind and changes the way you perceive reality forever - until eventually you embrace the cosmic horror and start believing in the Assad Must Go Curse.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://twitter.com/ProGrowthArthur/status/942222282285465602

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Leftists universally seemed to be about rules and prohibitions and ideological purity, and I think that's what alt-right types still see when they look across the way and go TRIGGLYPUFF LMAO

Rules, prohibitions, and injunctions are the basic building blocks for a stable society even in a state of anarchy. The better religions, cultures, and political movements will grant that you can indulge in a bit of rule breaking so long as you don't end up breaking the "cardinal rules."

What alt-right types really want is a world where the rules apply to everyone but themselves, and the only cardinal sin is inconveniencing them.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Kangxi posted:

Weeaboos. Why are so many of them weeaboos.
I think it's more because Japan is their ideal of a low immigration ethnostate with rampant misogyny. Hilariously, most of them also wish they could go live there and be a special gaijin.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I think it's more because Japan is their ideal of a low immigration ethnostate with rampant misogyny. Hilariously, most of them also wish they could go live there and be a special gaijin.

A slowly rotting grey state of insular overworked nerds incelling themselves into oblivion. Sounds like Nazi heaven alright.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What alt-right types really want is a world where the rules apply to everyone but themselves, and the only cardinal sin is inconveniencing them.

I wish it were just the alt-right types- I just got irrationally angry about a guy I used to write comedy with posting a screed about how he told the guy working at his gym that he was thinking of taking his business elsewhere, and the gym guy didn't seem to care

I've worked enough call center and retail jobs to know when someone is complaining about "a terrible customer service" that was really "I was being a jerk and they didn't pretend I wasn't"

There's a real problem with that type- he's a dude who was shouting "I'm with her" from the hills last year, but also dates a string of meek, insecure young women and has a lot of questions he's just asking about the SJWs

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kangxi posted:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Peanut Butler posted:

I wish it were just the alt-right types- I just got irrationally angry about a guy I used to write comedy with posting a screed about how he told the guy working at his gym that he was thinking of taking his business elsewhere, and the gym guy didn't seem to care

I've worked enough call center and retail jobs to know when someone is complaining about "a terrible customer service" that was really "I was being a jerk and they didn't pretend I wasn't"

There's a real problem with that type- he's a dude who was shouting "I'm with her" from the hills last year, but also dates a string of meek, insecure young women and has a lot of questions he's just asking about the SJWs

A lot of douchebags think The Customer is Always Right, but there's a big difference between being a typical American and elevating The Customer is Always Right to being the core tenet of an ideology. Where even human beings can be properties you claim exclusive rights to, and only the elite (such as yourself, surely) can possess the privilege of agency.

Your colleague feels entitled to servile treatment within the context of an institution that literally exists to serve the customer, he doesn't assume that the gym clerk should have to serve him anywhere and at any time because of his class or caste status.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"The customer is always right" was never about the individual customer, it was a statement that if you're selling X but the customers want Y instead, you're the problem. It never meant "give rando shitbags whatever they want".

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

"The customer is always right" was never about the individual customer, it was a statement that if you're selling X but the customers want Y instead, you're the problem. It never meant "give rando shitbags whatever they want".

gay used to mean happy too

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The weirdest job interview I ever had included the question of "how did you apply the ideals of 'the customer is always right' at your last job *squints at paper* as a bouncer"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That’s cause fascism ultimately isn’t a political ideology. It’s a mindset that values domination for its own sake, and one of the most basic and wide ranging forms of domination is flagrant immunity to the rules.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Broke as gently caress working class dude who came of age in the internet era and was massively disillusioned by the Obama presidency is a prime target for Nazis to recruit, comrade

Add to it that a good chunk of my upbringing was spent surrounded by racist right wing shitheads and yeah no I'm a fuckin dream for those assholes

I just happened to get lf explaining to me what structural inequality was first

All of that's word-for-word true of me too except I wasn't in LF so my defense against right wing stuff was more just a general moral sense of "this is evil, based on contempt and self-delusion"

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
In other words: the far right is 'unconstrained id', and too much of the left is 'unconstrained super ego'. The former leads to destructively self-centered and anti-social behavior, the later leads to an uncomfortable and unsustainable internal emotional state, dominated by guilt, that can be exploited by interested parties. Either a balance must be struck between self-worth and social responsibility or, better, id satisfaction must itself be found in pro-social behavior, to resolve the conflict.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

rudatron posted:

In other words: the far right is 'unconstrained id', and too much of the left is 'unconstrained super ego'. The former leads to destructively self-centered and anti-social behavior, the later leads to an uncomfortable and unsustainable internal emotional state, dominated by guilt, that can be exploited by interested parties. Either a balance must be struck between self-worth and social responsibility or, better, id satisfaction must itself be found in pro-social behavior, to resolve the conflict.

kind of a wordy way to say "kill the rich" but i'll take it

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

rudatron posted:

More the centrists that monopolise the political space of the left are obsessed with acting properly, eg 'decorum', to the expense of actually accomplishing anything significant, which is a status quo that corporate interests have encouraged and find beneficial because it's piss easy for them to make themselves look good without having to do anything.

Either way, the alienation that late-stage capitalism has induced in everyone is fertile ground for the self-obsessed lashing out that is fascism, and needs to be headed off by creating new structures to replace those that have decayed or been walled off to the young and underprivileged.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its unfortunately not limited to centrists, as convenient as that would be, and the dichotomy I'm eludicating is as much gbs vs. The great race space as anything else.

I also would advise against romanticizing lf too much. There's a reason maoism 3rd worldism ended up appealing to a lot of the trust fund kids that posted there, and its because it rationalized the way rich people have always hated the poor, and abstracted away any sort of sympathy for them, which it projected onto the abstract idea if the third world. Not the actual third world, full of realistic human beings, but the third wirld as seen from the stand point of Bono/Band Aid and so on. Mean while, the real poor they have any possibility of interacting with, are despised.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Kangxi posted:

he should follow mishima’s lead and kill hinself

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

they put a lot of pointless stock into the stupid meme poo poo, don’t they? all they talk about are memes as if they mean something more than just being rehashed jokes. where did this stupid mindset come from? them thinking their memes got trump elected is probably part of it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

they put a lot of pointless stock into the stupid meme poo poo, don’t they? all they talk about are memes as if they mean something more than just being rehashed jokes. where did this stupid mindset come from? them thinking their memes got trump elected is probably part of it.

memes are literally all they have. if you ask them what accomplishments they are proud of, they will link you to the imgur equivalent of a lovely GeoCities page full of their meme index funds and meme 401k's.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kangxi posted:

do the seppuku, binch

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Memecoin

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

That’s cause fascism ultimately isn’t a political ideology. It’s a mindset that values domination for its own sake, and one of the most basic and wide ranging forms of domination is flagrant immunity to the rules.

Fascism is for sure a political ideology. You can claim that fascism counts as a mindset, and I wouldn't disagree but there is definitely a defined ideology called fascism. As an ideology fascism means that the most dominant forces of society are the ones who have the right to rule, and this logic extends to nations as well. Conflict is the central locus around which fascism operates, because without a constant contest between factions for the domination of society and by extension the world, then weak degenerating elements will take hold and bring along the downfall of civilization. This is distinct from other oligarchic or aristocratic ideologies, because a fascist society doesn't care about the particulars of heritable privilege or even the rights of propertied classes - anyone who can claim and demonstrate that they're the strongest will possess the right to rule and shape society in their own image. Neither Mussolini or Hitler came from wealthy or aristocratic families

rudatron posted:

Using psychoanalysis to frame the left-right political spectrum is facile. You could just as easily say liberals represent the superego, or that conservatives do.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why not? Psychology is the basis of human behavior, and its influence on political thought is undeniable. Why shouldn't a tool be used if it works?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you don't believe that some members of the left are too willing to guilt-trip people, may I suggest u visit The Great Race Space

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

rudatron posted:

Its unfortunately not limited to centrists, as convenient as that would be, and the dichotomy I'm eludicating is as much gbs vs. The great race space as anything else.

I also would advise against romanticizing lf too much. There's a reason maoism 3rd worldism ended up appealing to a lot of the trust fund kids that posted there, and its because it rationalized the way rich people have always hated the poor, and abstracted away any sort of sympathy for them, which it projected onto the abstract idea if the third world. Not the actual third world, full of realistic human beings, but the third wirld as seen from the stand point of Bono/Band Aid and so on. Mean while, the real poor they have any possibility of interacting with, are despised.

Yeah from what I've gathered LF was the source of a lot of stupid and politically harmful poo poo, and not just the maoism 3rd worldism which is a punchline now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

rudatron posted:

Why not? Psychology is the basis of human behavior, and its influence on political thought is undeniable. Why shouldn't a tool be used if it works?

Psychoanalysis isn't the same thing as psychology.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

you're conflating psychoanalysis with psychology, and it doesn't work because it's not sufficiently descriptive for the reason I gave.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Psychoanalysis is one of many tendencies in psychology, and your objection is nonsensical - i chose the distinctions I did because they actually fit, your claims of arbitrariness don't mesh with even your own posting on the issue, where you claim the alright is motivated by selfishness.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Admiral Ray posted:

memes are literally all they have. if you ask them what accomplishments they are proud of, they will link you to the imgur equivalent of a lovely GeoCities page full of their meme index funds and meme 401k's.

And they literally think that they're magic.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah from what I've gathered LF was the source of a lot of stupid and politically harmful poo poo, and not just the maoism 3rd worldism which is a punchline now.

One of the bigger problems within LF was definitely a hard core of posters who were either too deep into whatever flavor of hard left ideology they preached, or fakeposted too long and got lost in the act. Wasn't all just dancing to the hate Amerikkka beat, sad to say.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

rudatron posted:

Why not? Psychology is the basis of human behavior

Nope, got that backwards there.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

Psychoanalysis is one of many tendencies in psychology, and your objection is nonsensical - i chose the distinctions I did because they actually fit, your claims of arbitrariness don't mesh with even your own posting on the issue, where you claim the alright is motivated by selfishness.

I already explained why it doesn't work, and I'm not gonna shift the goalposts around with you. I just don't buy that the far left is any more constrictive or restrained than liberalism or conservatism. they all have different injunctions that are ideologically defined.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So your objection is based on how uncomfortable honest criticism made you, as a left leaning partisan - gotcha.

If your not willing to think metaphorically you're just blocking yourself. Sure conservatism has injunctions, but said injunctions are entirely self-serving, from the stand point of the in-group that is expressing them.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
uggghhh

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
broke: making GBS threads on Nazis and organizing against the right
woke: psychoanalysis chat

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i think the id/superego analysis fits a specific historical moment and tendency but is not broadly applicable to left/right politics in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

rudatron posted:

"Selfishness" isn't the same thing as "id" and I'm guessing his objection was based on psychoanalysis being pseudoscience that's not an accepted part of psychology and vague enough you can work it to fit whatever you want.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nope, got that backwards there.

That depends on whether you're using the word psychology to mean the field or mental processes.