Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

The_White_Crane posted:

I don't know if that merch is actually the relevant stones, but if anyone is curious, real phosphophylite is very loving expensive.

The phosphophyllite necklace is going for a tidy 3240000 yen so I think it might be the real deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i blame the loss of phos' pep and energy on viggynash

You're welcome.

These last two episodes have been magnificent showcases of both their technical and artistic talent. I really hope they get more stuff to do in the future when they finish this show because they absolutely deserve it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Yak of Wrath posted:

The phosphophyllite necklace is going for a tidy 3240000 yen so I think it might be the real deal.

Phosphophyllite is incredibly rare, and on top of that, insanely fragile. It's very difficult to cut facets into because it's liable to just shatter everywhere. Even extremely small high-clarity gemstones run like $1,500 each, and if you do find one, it'll typically be under 1 carat.

I don't know how large that gem is, but over $30,000 for a white gold necklace with an embedded teardrop brilliant-cut phosphophyllite of that clarity actually sounds about right.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Can't wait to buy a cinnabar necklace and get mercury poisoning.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/sasuraiger/status/942216878184980480

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

:allears:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Rock salt.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

da beeper king BABY posted:

Can't wait to buy a cinnabar necklace and get mercury poisoning.

Cinnabar is not actually an option due to that

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, I was not surprised Shiro got cut up into 108 bits.

108 absolutely adorable bits :kimchi:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

iospace posted:

Does 108 have some special significance?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

Does 108 have some special significance?

It's a sacred number in both Hinduism and Buddhism, which the author seems to be drawing some (a lot? I'm pretty ignorant about both) inspiration from.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_(number)#Religion_and_the_arts

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's an important number in Buddhism, so it pops up everywhere in Asian fiction.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Also, a moment of silence for poor Dia who did not get to cuddle up with the Cloud Puppers.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Such a fantastic show. The bits where Phos was having a realization and the split crystal with gold seeping out covered the screen was striking.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Rock salt.

Incidentally, this is probably why the butterflies were landing on Phos. The male butterflies will gather sodium and other mineral salts and present it to their mates. While they were probably just after the sea spray, they could have been trying to eat Phos too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/791228169999245312

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm home for the holidays and get to rewatch this show on a real TV with a nice sound system.

Also gonna force my family to watch this show.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh wow those necklaces, that's sure uhhh, something :stare: if they're using real phospholyte I hope whoever buys that only displays it since there's a reason why there's a minimum harness for gems used in jewelery. You could easily simulate all those colors using CZ or sapphires which is what I'd expect from merchandise, but that pricetag is so loving high it's either real or expert gouging is happening here.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's real. saw a photo of it on display and there was a card that said "you won't be able to wear this"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

iospace posted:

Well, it wouldn't have been possible. If a cut doubles the number... 1 -> 2 - > 4 -> 8 -> 16 -> 32 -> 64 -> 128.

Do you even binary, bro?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Uh, you don't have to cut every bit in half with every slash, dude.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

being able to cut things exactly in half is a heck of a skill tho

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I figure Sensei is either one of those harder than diamond artificially made gems, or maybe a Lunarian/Gem hybrid like in my fanfiction.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 18, 2017

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Density is always my determinant when it comes to Sensei. I've leaned towards titanium carbide for a while. Cubic boron nitride might be a better fit, it's clear and goes with the 'artificial' idea, but isn't nearly as dense (hardly as dense as diamond). Cubic titanium nitride is totally a thing though, even if it only comes in nanoparticles, but then Sensei would be as bling as Phos.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ranzear posted:

Density is always my determinant when it comes to Sensei. I've leaned towards titanium carbide for a while. Cubic boron nitride might be a better fit, it's clear and goes with the 'artificial' idea, but isn't nearly as dense (hardly as dense as diamond). Cubic titanium nitride is totally a thing though, even if it only comes in nanoparticles, but then Sensei would be as bling as Phos.

He could be covered head to toe in that powder though.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

He could be covered head to toe in that powder though.

See here. If those fragments are from Sensei (the finger snap), they're a good indicator of clear colorless crystal.

That's what kinda rules out titanium carbide (I liked the 'literally weighs a ton' interpretation of that) but rules in cubic boron nitride or other cubic artificials. Cubic zirconia would work too, and is denser than diamond, but isn't crazy hard.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
That seems unlikely when we already have a Zircon among the gems, as Yellow Diamond's partner.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The little crystals he throws have the shape of a truncated octahedron, which occurs as the crystalline structure of Faujasite.
... but those ones have different proportions, and Faujasite is apparently very weak.

Edit: Apparently gold also forms truncated octahedral crystals...

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 18, 2017

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I showed Houseki to my family and they thought it was pretty but are very confused as to why the Gem's shorts are so short.

Now they are arguing about the gender politics of the master wearing a full robe and the shapely gems being scantily clad.

Edit: My family has decided the gems must be female and it's stupid to refer to them otherwise because Dia and Cinnabar talk about "romance" in episode 3 so they must understand how that stuff works, which wouldn't happen if they were truly genderless.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 19, 2017

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is it normally possible for an anime to be able to hire what appears to be a decent goldsmith to make merchandise? Like I thought anime merchandise is usually stuff like plastic figurines/accessories/maybe some cheap jewelery but not actual luxury stuff. It is some of the classiest anime merchandise I've seen but it's also waaaaaay out of my price range.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

Is it normally possible for an anime to be able to hire what appears to be a decent goldsmith to make merchandise? Like I thought anime merchandise is usually stuff like plastic figurines/accessories/maybe some cheap jewelery but not actual luxury stuff. It is some of the classiest anime merchandise I've seen but it's also waaaaaay out of my price range.
I mean it depends on the anime. Plenty of oldschool mecha anime get $1000 diecast metal mecha figures and stuff, and Senran Kagura and FF13 and Tales of have had tie-ins with high end fashion lines for women. It just depends on your target demo.

More than that, this is kind of a marketing stunt for both expensive jewelry and the show, even if they don't sell much of it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm dying to learn more about all the things going on. Phosphophyllite seems to continuously be stressed by one thing after another.

All this excitement, after probably a fairly boring 300 years.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Endorph posted:

I mean it depends on the anime. Plenty of oldschool mecha anime get $1000 diecast metal mecha figures and stuff, and Senran Kagura and FF13 and Tales of have had tie-ins with high end fashion lines for women. It just depends on your target demo.

More than that, this is kind of a marketing stunt for both expensive jewelry and the show, even if they don't sell much of it.

*gasp*
You changed your AV! No more cute dancing girl!
... what was your last one even from, anyway?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ccs posted:

Dia and Cinnabar talk about "romance" in episode 3 so they must understand how that stuff works, which wouldn't happen if they were truly genderless.

Why wouldn't it, though?
Romance can happen between two people whose genders don't differ, and some people do have romantic relationships without sex, so...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ccs posted:

Edit: My family has decided the gems must be female and it's stupid to refer to them otherwise because Dia and Cinnabar talk about "romance" in episode 3 so they must understand how that stuff works, which wouldn't happen if they were truly genderless.

I haven't rewatched the scene, but in Japanese the loan word "roman" (from "romance") is used to mean something like dreams/aspirations. In contexts like "Saving the girl while riding a giant robot is a boy's romance."

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ccs posted:

I showed Houseki to my family and they thought it was pretty but are very confused as to why the Gem's shorts are so short.

Now they are arguing about the gender politics of the master wearing a full robe and the shapely gems being scantily clad.

It's better to not go down that rabbit hole, because there are lots of plot holes if we start nitpicking the logic of the setting. Humanity is extinct and it seems geological ages have passed, but somehow they use human clothes and some human concepts, expressions, etc.
We can only say that the series would be totally incomprehensible for us if they would have done it in a realistic way.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I did wonder if Kongo's name was a reference to the Congo (which should also really be spelled Kongo) and its historical significance for gem mining.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tesseraction posted:

I did wonder if Kongo's name was a reference to the Congo (which should also really be spelled Kongo) and its historical significance for gem mining.

Kongo means indestructible or adamant in Japanese.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Kongo means indestructible or adamant in Japanese.

Yes, but it could also be wordplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Wow, I'm loving all the LGBT wish fulfillment in this show

e: oh, shocking twist! about the king's gender. well in a way, that too is wish fulfillment.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 19, 2017

• Locked thread