Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I enjoyed Matinee, that's a fun one. He's not the villain but he's a gleeful rear end, capitalising on the cold war to sell his movies about monsters mutated by nuclear bombs that have stupid gimmicks. His girlfriend/lead actress/secretary is also amazing, like when she poses as a nurse at the premiere of the titular movie Mant (Goodman's gimmick is supposedly so effective he has his customers sign waivers to help sell them on how dangerous it will be) and a kid comes up to her with an injury:

"Nurse, nurse I hurt my arm :("
":geno: Oh sweetie that looks terrible... :byodame: NEXT!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Not his best work, but I'll always remember he was in this:

PYST complete with musical number

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I find this entire thing way better and more engaging than Strange Things S2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-4rhjO6xYg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Frasier's a bit of whiplash, or maybe I just don't like cringe comedy, but the ep with Bulldog babysitting for Roz and posing as her husband to scare off her dates, as well as a lot of Bulldog stuff in general, really hasn't aged well.

Which is a shame, because in the same episode the Crane boys are planning their funerals and graves and it's goddamn hilarious. Especially when Daphne argues with Martin how his funeral plans are too similar to her wedding plans.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've been watching The Norm Show and there are some good jokes, and I don't think it's terrible, but there's a shitton of gay panic

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
This is the only thing I know about The Norm Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER6lPaxhWeA

which seems like it should have aged really poorly but somehow kind of hasn't

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've always wanted to see one of those shows where the boy's primary collectable critter is a lazy jerk and they spend more time goofing around than getting into battles.

Wait, that was Medabots. And it was hilarious.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It would be neat to have a show with a Pokemon Whisperer type character - never fought, just chilled out in a forest with a snack in his hand, let something come to him, gave it a skritch and said "Wanna go see the world lil' buddy?" Their entourage would alter just based on what their collectible buddies felt like doing, maybe a bird that's often with him has flown back to it's home forest to see it's family or find a mate, and will come back to him when it feels ready, or an otter sees a particularly nice swimming hole and wants to chill there for a bit and just catch up later. :3:

That's actually why I liked the main character from Digimon Savers - they weren't assigned to each other, him and Agumon were just friends (who met because they got in a fight with each other) and equals and he fought as hard as his Agumon did. They were genuine partners.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Dec 17, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

It would be neat to have a show with a Pokemon Whisperer type character - never fought, just chilled out in a forest with a snack in his hand, let something come to him, gave it a skritch and said "Wanna go see the world lil' buddy?" Their entourage would alter just based on what their collectible buddies felt like doing, maybe a bird that's often with him has flown back to it's home forest to see it's family or find a mate, and will come back to him when it feels ready, or an otter sees a particularly nice swimming hole and wants to chill there for a bit and just catch up later. :3:

That's actually why I liked the main character from Digimon Savers - they weren't assigned to each other, him and Agumon were friends and equals and he fought as hard as his Agumon did. They were genuine partners.

One of the games actually has basically that kind of character as a main villain. (Sorta. It's the one where the bad guy team are Poke-PETA, and also knights for some reason)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
What's crazy is that method is exactly how James actually operates as a pokehunter in the cartoon when not trying to steal others' mons for the organization. Seriously.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Choco1980 posted:

What's crazy is that method is exactly how James actually operates as a pokehunter in the cartoon when not trying to steal others' mons for the organization. Seriously.

James is the best trainer and his pokemon all adore him. He needs to quit Team Rocket and just hang out with pokemon all day.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, except the Victreebell that kept trying to eat him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Well, except the Victreebell that kept trying to eat him.

That was never his Pokemon. Cassidy and Butch were running a fake kindergarten, stealing the trainers Pokemon and replacing them with evolved versions caught wild. James's Weepinbel is still out there somewhere. The Victreebel was an impostor, hence the lack of any bond or discipline.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

That was never his Pokemon. Cassidy and Butch were running a fake kindergarten, stealing the trainers Pokemon and replacing them with evolved versions caught wild. James's Weepinbel is still out there somewhere. The Victreebel was an impostor, hence the lack of any bond or discipline.

That would explain a lot, though there was a theme that first season of sometimes evolved Pokemon feel they've outgrown their trainers and become impossible to control. (the whole thing with Ash's Charizard)

Pokemon's funny as a franchise; originally, while the video games got huge in Japan, the anime was massively popular in the USA, and so the marketing took different directions in different territories; while Japan got more Pokemon-centric merchandise, Western territories got more of it based around the show. That tapered off eventually when the show lost popularity from sheer repetition and lack of development, and now Pokemon merchandise is almost entirely about the Pokemon themselves, or related to the games specifically at least.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pokemon's funny as a franchise; originally, while the video games got huge in Japan, the anime was massively popular in the USA, and so the marketing took different directions in different territories; while Japan got more Pokemon-centric merchandise, Western territories got more of it based around the show. That tapered off eventually when the show lost popularity from sheer repetition and lack of development, and now Pokemon merchandise is almost entirely about the Pokemon themselves, or related to the games specifically at least.

It's the trading card game that I remember being the big thing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Inescapable Duck posted:

That would explain a lot, though there was a theme that first season of sometimes evolved Pokemon feel they've outgrown their trainers and become impossible to control. (the whole thing with Ash's Charizard)

This was actually a mechanic in the games as well. If a Pokémon got too high level for your current highest badge, even if it was your own, it would basically just stop listening to you. Charmeleon/Charizard was actually a pretty good representation of that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It could also have been that Charizard simply lost respect for Ash as it grew up - it first met him when he rescued it as a baby Charmander and gave unconditional love in that form. Then it started evolving - but Ash didn't. He kept making the same stupid mistakes time and again, eventually costing him the Kanto League, while Charizard was stuck watching this little idiot that saved him years ago refuse to mature, or learn tactics or generally improve as a trainer. Honestly I'd get impatient and start roasting the kid.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I remember hating how stupid Ash was. It was so bad I couldn't really enjoy the show. Electricity doesn't work against rocks Ash its obvious before the fight even started!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

SpacePig posted:

This was actually a mechanic in the games as well. If a Pokémon got too high level for your current highest badge, even if it was your own, it would basically just stop listening to you. Charmeleon/Charizard was actually a pretty good representation of that.

It actually wasn't, since Ash had all 8 gym badges (the 8th making all Pokémon obey you regardless of level) but his Charizard was still disobeying him.
That's only one of the problems with the anime vs the games though. Another example of the disassociation between the two is Pokémon evolving during battle.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I remember hating how stupid Ash was. It was so bad I couldn't really enjoy the show. Electricity doesn't work against rocks Ash its obvious before the fight even started!

Actually electric does work on rocks. It's ground types it doesn't affect, which the anime screwed up for that episode. :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

He didn't even start properly winning fights until Orange Islands. Most of his badges were earned through favours performed for the Gym leaders, to be fair saving them and their pokemon more often than not, but it was still cheap.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

He didn't even start properly winning fights until Orange Islands. Most of his badges were earned through favours performed for the Gym leaders, to be fair saving them and their pokemon more often than not, but it was still cheap.

He technically beat Misty (she was on the ropes when Team Rocket showed up), he beat Surge, he beat Koga and his trainee, he beat Blaine, and he beat Team Rocket while they were running the gym.

The only badges he got for free were Brock, Erika, and Sabrina.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
They should have had a few episodes or Ash walking around in grass destroying Pokémon and leveling up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pokemon not obeying you is something that barely ever shows up in the games unless you abuse Rare Candies or something given the level ranges of those badges... though traded Pokemon are more prone to it. Which is probably the intended purpose of the mechanic, to discourage players from trading an overlevelled Pokemon to steamroll the game with. (doesn't stop you from generally being able to steamroll the game by overlevelling your starter)

The Pokemon anime is a bit weird given it sometimes has some good and creative ideas, but it's all so hamstrung by having to stick with Ash and zero interest in him developing or growing in any way. I mean, maybe they don't want to risk losing viewers if they switch protagonists, like Digimon (though that has its own problems) but clearly they don't expect viewers to watch past a season or two at this point given they just repeat the plot with vague riffs on the games, which actually have more ongoing plot and character development over time. (they did a kind of implied reboot with X/Y just to complicate things, mind)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

The Pokemon anime is a bit weird given it sometimes has some good and creative ideas, but it's all so hamstrung by having to stick with Ash and zero interest in him developing or growing in any way. I mean, maybe they don't want to risk losing viewers if they switch protagonists, like Digimon (though that has its own problems) but clearly they don't expect viewers to watch past a season or two at this point given they just repeat the plot with vague riffs on the games, which actually have more ongoing plot and character development over time. (they did a kind of implied reboot with X/Y just to complicate things, mind)

gently caress that, if they introduced a new main character that punches the Pokemon I'd watch it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jojo isn't a character piece but it helps that the story reboots with a new Jojo and new premise every time the day is saved. The strip is 30 years old but it holds up better than the usual Shonen like Bleach and Naruto.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The Pokemon comics changed characters to match the protagonist of that generation's games, anime should have done what instead of just giving ash a new girl side character every arc.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Last Chance posted:

I've been watching The Norm Show and there are some good jokes, and I don't think it's terrible, but there's a shitton of gay panic

He's a conservative who thinks Reagan's the best president ever, not surprising

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Also he loves crack whores

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

oldpainless posted:

Also he loves crack whores

Who doesn't? Don't let that be a mark against the guy?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dexie posted:

Actually electric does work on rocks. It's ground types it doesn't affect, which the anime screwed up for that episode. :v:

Were there any rock pokemon that weren't also ground in gen 1

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Were there any rock pokemon that weren't also ground in gen 1

omanyte, kabuto, aerodactyl

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Red Metal posted:

omanyte, kabuto, aerodactyl

Which, funny enough, are all weak to Electric.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
ITT post all the Pokemon plot points that aged.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pokemon not obeying you is something that barely ever shows up in the games unless you abuse Rare Candies or something given the level ranges of those badges... though traded Pokemon are more prone to it. Which is probably the intended purpose of the mechanic, to discourage players from trading an overlevelled Pokemon to steamroll the game with. (doesn't stop you from generally being able to steamroll the game by overlevelling your starter)
Fun fact: obedience is only relevant to traded pokemon in-game for all seven generations, you can't overlevel any pokemon that have you as their Original Trainer :eng101:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We need a Professor Oak smiley, but there it goes for how well I knew it. (weirdly enough, that would actually apply to Ash's Charmander, who he adopted after its original trainer abandoned it. He acquired his Bulbasaur and Squirtle the same way)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I still remember the jokes people i knew would make when the show was young. Like how in season 1 pikachu electrocuted Ash so many times that he has brain damage. Like Prof. Oak could tell him Pikachu was his real father and he'd just stare confused "Pikachu...?" And accept it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

I still remember the jokes people i knew would make when the show was young. Like how in season 1 pikachu electrocuted Ash so many times that he has brain damage. Like Prof. Oak could tell him Pikachu was his real father and he'd just stare confused "Pikachu...?" And accept it.

I remember years and years ago I read this full-on dissertation about how Ash was put into a coma by Pikachu in the second or third episode and all his adventures are his bedridden hallucinations (the one I remember being, "Giovanni is Ash's father, who rejected him because of his repressed homosexuality, represented by Brock"). Subsequently, I discovered a "refutation" which was even longer.

To this day, I'm not sure what's saddest: the person who wrote the thing in the first place; the person who apparently took it seriously enough that they thought it needed to be refuted; or 14-year old me, for sitting and reading the entire thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was an episode that argued it's a bad thing to mature and grow. Ash preferred to keep his Pikachu from evolving into Raichu and the show made it sound like a good thing. Stay cute forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mu Zeta posted:

There was an episode that argued it's a bad thing to mature and grow. Ash preferred to keep his Pikachu from evolving into Raichu and the show made it sound like a good thing. Stay cute forever!

That's not saying it's bad to grow. That's saying it's bad to trade away your potential injecting rock steroids into your body.