Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Calaveron posted:

Also Marshall and Lilly owned like three separate homes that I remember and again still lived very comfortably on a kindergarten teacher and environmental lawyer salary for like 7 of the 9 seasons

Hell there was an entire season wide arc about working as an environmental lawyer putting his family in financial ruin. It's even worse when you draw attention to it, up until then you can just accept it's a tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

Also Marshall and Lilly owned like three separate homes that I remember and again still lived very comfortably on a kindergarten teacher and environmental lawyer salary for like 7 of the 9 seasons

Marshall was only an environmental lawyer for a short time. For most of the show he was working for Barney's company, moaning about how much he hated being a sellout on an outrageous wage.

One of the houses was inherited. The other was cheap because it was downwind of some sewage works, and was presented as a massive financial mistake. I don't think they owned both at the same time.

For the first few seasons they shared a tv-style New York apartment with an architect.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Doomsayer posted:

The best use of it (as with all things) was in Crazy Ex-Girlfriend where after a season of frivolous spending on shenanigans, a major plot point became the main character's crippling debt and terribleness with money

I loved how the show addressed how insane Rebecca's spending habits were and then she's out of debit like an episode later. And then less than a season after that she pays a woman 10 Grand to switch the date of her wedding like nothing.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I hate when shows or movies overly rely on an audio sting or sound effect.

Early seasons of Orphan Black play this grating horrible noise every time a certain character appears and it's godawful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_OYowDy38A

In movies, I just watched BLOODSPORT on Prime and there's this annoying squeak type noise that sounds just like a cat that happens frequently during fights. I don't think it's part of the soundtrack and I can't figure out what it's supposed to correspond to but drat it was annoying.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Leavemywife posted:

It bugs me in TV shows when a character has a baby and the kid just seems to disappear, unless plot relevant. I know it's hard to write kids into stories organically, so it doesn't bug me a huge amount, but it's still there, just a little bit.

It's like how it bugs me that characters always have the money to do whatever (spontaneous, last minute trip to Vegas or overseas), even if it's been shown they're basically in poverty in previous episodes.

This is hilarious in The Blacklist where the lead character and her husband gently caress off around the US and the world while leaving their child behind. I'm sure there's a nanny or something but they rarely seem remotely bothered that they're nowhere near their kid. The husband hosed off to a spinoff show for two months at one point too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rough Lobster posted:

I hate when shows or movies overly rely on an audio sting or sound effect.

Early seasons of Orphan Black play this grating horrible noise every time a certain character appears and it's godawful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_OYowDy38A

The eastern european right? i actually stopped watching the show because of that noise.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Mu Zeta posted:

The eastern european right? i actually stopped watching the show because of that noise.

Yep, don't worry though they knocked that poo poo out sometime around season 2 I believe. Still it was reaallly hard to get through that especially since she factors in so heavily.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Leavemywife posted:

It bugs me in TV shows when a character has a baby and the kid just seems to disappear, unless plot relevant. I know it's hard to write kids into stories organically, so it doesn't bug me a huge amount, but it's still there, just a little bit.

I think Family Matters was the worst about this. I remember the youngest daughter Judy just disappears at some point and then Aunt Rachel leaves but he son stays and then they just write him off too.

The thing that I always hate is when they introduce a baby only to magically age them out of the blue. Fresh Prince, Angel, Xena and tons of soap operas are guilty of this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phanatic posted:

The weaponized hyperdrive scene was very pretty but pretty much upends the context of how things work in Star Wars. I mean, if that works, why wouldn’t you just build weapons that are hyperdrives wrapped in a cheap hull? Why wouldn’t you do that with the support vessels that were running out of fuel instead of just letting them be blown up? Why wouldn’t Laura Dern just do that in the first place instead of as a last resort, given that she was going to get blown up anyway? For that matter, aren’t autopilots and computers a thing on these interstellar superlight ships?

And, like, wouldn’t that capability have made the Death Star much less of a threat and way more of a stupid thing to build? Basically this one set piece destroys decades of internal consistency.
Also the big spooky dark-side hope in the ground turned out to be a bunch of nothing.

I can only assume that hyperdrive ships are insanely expensive and that punting one of them at relativistic speeds into an enemy formation is the lastest of the last resorts. Also, an autopilot would have probably gone "charting course for jump to lightspeed - ERROR ERROR COLLISION DETECTED ABORTING PROGRAM".

It could also be that its effectiveness relies on the mass of the ship involved and that if you just tried to like put an X-Wing sized something into the Death Star it wouldn't do much more than a big missile.

loving hell it was pretty though. Silence was the absolute correct choice for that scene. The whole theatre I was in was transfixed, except for one dude I heard down the front whisper "jesus loving christ" to himself

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Memento posted:

I can only assume that hyperdrive ships are insanely expensive and that punting one of them at relativistic speeds into an enemy formation is the lastest of the last resorts. Also, an autopilot would have probably gone "charting course for jump to lightspeed - ERROR ERROR COLLISION DETECTED ABORTING PROGRAM".

It could also be that its effectiveness relies on the mass of the ship involved and that if you just tried to like put an X-Wing sized something into the Death Star it wouldn't do much more than a big missile.

loving hell it was pretty though. Silence was the absolute correct choice for that scene. The whole theatre I was in was transfixed, except for one dude I heard down the front whisper "jesus loving christ" to himself

Never underestimate kinetic energy. A 1 kg mass traveling at 99% of c would hit with greater force than Tsar Bomba.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Memento posted:

That's not how physics works, but then again SW has never had a single thing that relates to our physics to begin with (and there's no need to).

Let's say an X-Wing is about 5.600 Kg https://what-if.xkcd.com/3/
If you accelerate it to almost light speed, you can probably punch a hole in a planet.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

Never underestimate kinetic energy. A 1 kg mass traveling at 99% of c would hit with greater force than Tsar Bomba.

Yes, but if the star wars universe allowed this type of event Hyperspace would be useless because you'd be constantly colliding with everything, from particles of dust to stars, that would annihilate your ship. It's dramatic, but any of the ships they let be destroyed could have managed it, so it just comes off as a dumb deux ex machina moment.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I guess the idea is that you can collide with non hyperlight objects only during your initial "acceleration" while going hyper.

Also, is this the first time a classic sci-fi "shield" is showed protecting a ship in SW? We've already seen a visual representation in R1, but that was a planet.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

Yes, but if the star wars universe allowed this type of event Hyperspace would be useless because you'd be constantly colliding with everything, from particles of dust to stars, that would annihilate your ship. It's dramatic, but any of the ships they let be destroyed could have managed it, so it just comes off as a dumb deux ex machina moment.

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

JT Smiley posted:

I loved how the show addressed how insane Rebecca's spending habits were and then she's out of debit like an episode later. And then less than a season after that she pays a woman 10 Grand to switch the date of her wedding like nothing.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend does another thing I like - the main character's actually competent at some things. There's too many comedy shows where the protagonists are useless schlubs who have no skills, aptitudes or abilities - yet they can still goof off at their job and have seemingly endless money. Rebecca Bunch might be a loon but she's also been established as an absolute monster of a lawyer, and the firm gives her a lot of license since she basically prints money. So it kinda makes sense that she'd be able to rebound from poverty pretty quick - smash a couple of lucrative cases, make mad bank, gently caress off out the office for another couple of days.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Disgusting Coward posted:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend does another thing I like - the main character's actually competent at some things. There's too many comedy shows where the protagonists are useless schlubs who have no skills, aptitudes or abilities - yet they can still goof off at their job and have seemingly endless money. Rebecca Bunch might be a loon but she's also been established as an absolute monster of a lawyer, and the firm gives her a lot of license since she basically prints money. So it kinda makes sense that she'd be able to rebound from poverty pretty quick - smash a couple of lucrative cases, make mad bank, gently caress off out the office for another couple of days.

I also hear she knows how to sing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That Italian Guy posted:

I guess the idea is that you can collide with non hyperlight objects only during your initial "acceleration" while going hyper.

Also, is this the first time a classic sci-fi "shield" is showed protecting a ship in SW? We've already seen a visual representation in R1, but that was a planet.

Your first point makes a lot of sense.

So the range has to be exactly right, the ship has to be the right size, and someone on board has to be in control in order to pull it off.

And to your second point for a ship, I wondered that myself, guess it probably is if people are thinking about it like this

Also, it's a movie about space wizards with laser swords so we should probably not get too hung up on the physics and economics, no matter how much our inner :spergin: tells us to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

(Still Star Wars)

Or simply nobody had ever done it before and weren’t sure what it would do.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

(Still Star Wars)

Or simply nobody had ever done it before and weren’t sure what it would do.

I swear Anakin did this exact thing in the Clone Wars show but not to a fleet just a planet. I remember some commentary track saying it was something the shows producers wanted to make since Han was always like if you don't jump right you end up in a star or something to end your journey real quick.

I looked for a vid on youtube but couldn't find it and Im not curious enough to go dragging out my DVDs.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
Star Wars:

I want chicken I want liver
Meow Mix Meow Mix
Please Deliver
Meow Mix Meow Mix
Please Deliver
Meow Mix Meow Mix
Please Deliver
Meow Mix Meow Mix
Please Deliver

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Star Wars:

Meow Mix Meow Mix
Please Deliver
Meow Mix Meow Mix
Please Deliver
Meow Mix Meow Mix
Please Deliver
Meow Mix Meow Mix
Please Deliver

:same:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is someone else's IIMM from a review of The Foreigner I read which I thought was funny: someone watched it and thought Pierce Brosnan did a bad Irish accent.

You can't win with Irish accents even when you're from Ireland, can you?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

This is someone else's IIMM from a review of The Foreigner I read which I thought was funny: someone watched it and thought Pierce Brosnan did a bad Irish accent.

You can't win with Irish accents even when you're from Ireland, can you?

No.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Aleph Null posted:

But doesn't everybody imagine their lives as a series of musical numbers?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

In the Dream Ghost episode where she sees her past and sings 'irl' as opposed to a fantasy musical number, she's not that great. Fantasy Rebecca has some amazing pipes though.

As an actual IMM though. I had to defend my hatred of the Hobbit films to people tonight. Actual people who had seen the films and were non-ironically defending them. my brain got stuck on one thing that I just... I couldn't let go.

You cannot float down a river of molten gold on a metal shield. You will die.

I can ignore physics enough for a dragon to be a thing. I can deal with wizards. If something can be handwaved as 'Dude. Magic is a thing.' I'll let it slide - see practically all the Last Jedi comments around the thread but unless dwarf flash points are significantly higher than any other organic creature, Sad Smoulder Dwarf was super dooper dead.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
To break from Star Wars, my mom is determined to watch the end of Game of Thrones, even though we both checked out in season 5, she's been watching 6 and onward alone. At one scene, she wasn't quite sure so called me out to remind her, and to be fair, she's nearly 70 so in a show with 100 characters, I wouldn't blame her for poo poo getting mixed up.

So here we are at the Tower of Joy with young Ned Stark and his friend killing Kingsguard. Mom was cool with that, cool with finding the missing sister in the Tower and yeah the baby is Jon Snow. Her question? Since the Kingsguard had somehow heard Rhaegar was dead, why the gently caress did they remain a stationary loving target with his babymama/later to be stupidly shown as wife? Even if she was in labor, or why didn't one of them just grab the kid and loving run for it?

My mom thought for sure one of the women attending Lyanna was a Faceless Man disguise but I am not nerd enough to frame by frame any FM scene to try and find if the face is there.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

To break from Star Wars, my mom is determined to watch the end of Game of Thrones, even though we both checked out in season 5, she's been watching 6 and onward alone. At one scene, she wasn't quite sure so called me out to remind her, and to be fair, she's nearly 70 so in a show with 100 characters, I wouldn't blame her for poo poo getting mixed up.

So here we are at the Tower of Joy with young Ned Stark and his friend killing Kingsguard. Mom was cool with that, cool with finding the missing sister in the Tower and yeah the baby is Jon Snow. Her question? Since the Kingsguard had somehow heard Rhaegar was dead, why the gently caress did they remain a stationary loving target with his babymama/later to be stupidly shown as wife? Even if she was in labor, or why didn't one of them just grab the kid and loving run for it?

My mom thought for sure one of the women attending Lyanna was a Faceless Man disguise but I am not nerd enough to frame by frame any FM scene to try and find if the face is there.

They're Kingsguard, and the King they served is dead and replaced by a usurper. I just assumed they're all so totally loyal they'll carry out his last orders until death, especially since they probably don't want to live under the rule of the one who killed him. I mean Jamie is considered a massive disgrace to the Kingsguard for pretty much the rest of his life for switching allegiances.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

The fact that she didn't means that there's no loving way Franky Four-Forces could have known it. That's a giant gaping plot hole. Finn and Rose couldn't have told him, because they didn't know, so how the gently caress did *he* know about the transports?

But... they showed the conversation between Finn and Poe where Poe tells them that the vice-admiral is fuelling up the transports and Finn tells them that they're four parsecs out? Hell, wasn't it even the same scene as when the hacker gives his "both sides are dumb" demonstration?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IshmaelZarkov posted:

In the Dream Ghost episode where she sees her past and sings 'irl' as opposed to a fantasy musical number, she's not that great. Fantasy Rebecca has some amazing pipes though.

As an actual IMM though. I had to defend my hatred of the Hobbit films to people tonight. Actual people who had seen the films and were non-ironically defending them. my brain got stuck on one thing that I just... I couldn't let go.

I can ignore physics enough for a dragon to be a thing. I can deal with wizards. If something can be handwaved as 'Dude. Magic is a thing.' I'll let it slide - see practically all the Last Jedi comments around the thread but unless dwarf flash points are significantly higher than any other organic creature, Sad Smoulder Dwarf was super dooper dead.

That is a common trait of dwarves in fantasy.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

JT Smiley posted:

The thing that I always hate is when they introduce a baby only to magically age them out of the blue. Fresh Prince, Angel, Xena and tons of soap operas are guilty of this.

I can accept it in Angel, because that was a horrific demon baby, unless there was another baby I forgot about.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
There's nothing irrational about hating Connor.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Mega-agreedo.

Worst part of the show by far.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

IshmaelZarkov posted:

It's definitely a Tolkien Dwarf thing. They could get close enough to dragons to fight them where Elves (who are immune to pretty much everything else including gravity) could not.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Cowslips Warren posted:

You mom being nearly 70 isn't the problem. The worst part about the Tower of Joy scenes is that the show creators decided to break the flashback up into multiple parts across multiple episodes so even if someone could put two and two together when Ned shows up to fight the Kingsguard guys, it was several episodes later that Ned actually makes it inside the Tower to Lyanna, and we get the R+L=J payoff. Especially since this is the culmination of the Rheagar and Lyanna plot, which the show hadn't really talked about much in many seasons, anyone who is a casual show watcher and hadn't spent the past 20 years arguing about it online would be easily confused.

King of Foolians has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Dec 18, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The sword fighting in that episode wasn't fantastic but I believe I've posted about that in this thread before.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Gorilla Salad posted:

I hate the fourth season mostly because of him.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Gaunab posted:

I hate the fourth season mostly because of him.

I was doing a rewatch a few months ago (after not seeing the show in over a decade) and I had to stop right before he was kidnapped because I couldn't subject myself to all his bullshit a second time. Stopped my Buffy rewatch at the end of season 3 for similar reasons.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh, I was thinking of Jasmine sprouting fully formed from the womb.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

King of Foolians posted:

You mom being nearly 70 isn't the problem. The worst part about the Tower of Joy scenes is that the show creators decided to break the flashback up into multiple parts across multiple episodes so even if someone could put two and two together when Ned shows up to fight the Kingsguard guys, it was several episodes later that Ned actually makes it inside the Tower to Lyanna, and we get the R+L=J payoff. Especially since this is the culmination of the Rheagar and Lyanna plot, which the show hadn't really talked about much in many seasons, anyone who is a casual show watcher and hadn't spent the past 20 years arguing about it online would be easily confused.

My main point with the Kingsguard was that since they KNEW Rhaegar was dead (and I'd still love to see someone give that news to Lyanna. Oh hey secret princess? Yeah your dad and brother were killed, your other brother's fighting a war to rescue you, and your prince husband rear end in a top hat is dead now. Yay?) and the baby Jon Snow was his, why the gently caress didn't one of them run the hell away with that kid, because they'd have no way of knowing he wouldn't be killed asap? Rhaegar, rear end in a top hat that he was, told them to guard the Tower, but I'm pretty sure he meant the people in the Tower and not the stones direct.

I remember a part in the books with some random noblewoman (and I wish they'd put it in the show!) wandering the Winterfell crypts with Theon/Reek as her guide, and she remarks how her first husband, who she loved dearly, went off with Ned to save his sister, and her husband died. But rather than bring his remains back, Ned buried him there in loving Dorne, but made sure to bring his whore sister's remains back to Winterfell, and now the noblewoman was laughing it up saying that Ned's family would never be buried there again because his remains and Robb's remains were gone and Cat was lost and that was the best revenge she could ask for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

My main point with the Kingsguard was that since they KNEW Rhaegar was dead (and I'd still love to see someone give that news to Lyanna. Oh hey secret princess? Yeah your dad and brother were killed, your other brother's fighting a war to rescue you, and your prince husband rear end in a top hat is dead now. Yay?) and the baby Jon Snow was his, why the gently caress didn't one of them run the hell away with that kid, because they'd have no way of knowing he wouldn't be killed asap? Rhaegar, rear end in a top hat that he was, told them to guard the Tower, but I'm pretty sure he meant the people in the Tower and not the stones direct.

It's not even that complicated, although I can forgive Americans for not understanding lines of succession. The way it works is it follows the direct male line down until you run out of male heirs, then you go back to the last common ancestor for the next. A good example is the British Royal family right now. Charles is first in line to succeed Elizabeth II, and William is second. Harry was third, but as soon as Prince George was born he dropped to fourth because inheritance goes down before it goes across.

This is what happened at the Tower of Joy. With Rhaegar and Aerys dead, the throne didn't go to Viserys as the next oldest son of Aerys - it went to Jon as the oldest son of Rhaegar. The Kingsguard didn't refuse to surrender at the Tower merely because they'd been ordered to guard Lyanna Stark; they refused because they were guarding the King.