Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The best thing would be if Obama, Carter, Clinton, George Bush Jr all got full health work ups and released them the same day Trump does.

Carter is almost certainly in better shape.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

TLJ should have just been this tweet.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

the black husserl posted:

I'm from ATL. Are you trying to tell me I didn't grow up eating lake trout and pit beef :colbert:

(yall, it was a joke. the joke is that ATL's democratic party is really corrupt and neoliberal, in an extremely similar manner to the way the democratic corruption/neoliberalism is depicted in the award winning hbo series "the wire")

Lmao my bad. It's just a thing I've seen a lot elsewhere.

Azhais posted:

Coca Cola, The Wire, Robocop

What more is there to know really?

Detroit is home to Valentine's Vodka, aka the best vodka in the world award winner! Also Detroit: Become Human, I guess 😂😂

Detroit is legit awesome tho. :colbert:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

The way things are ramping up, it might. I wouldn’t be shocked if people start making undecided noises again.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

I sort of disagree. When basement dwellers go outside and have a mob they escalate till some moron takes the lulz to far. Pretty sure Prester Jane has written something on this.

Not saying they're not dangerous, but it's more useful to call them moronic basement dwellers rather than to live in fear of them. They want to be considered a spooky threat.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

*Brushes off shoulder*

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mark Hamill, as far as I'm aware, has been in a continuous state of owning for four decades now.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Koalas March posted:

Lmao my bad. It's just a thing I've seen a lot elsewhere.

Detroit is home to Valentine's Vodka, aka the best vodka in the world award winner! Also Detroit: Become Human, I guess 😂😂

Detroit is legit awesome tho. :colbert:

Also, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Beverly Hills Cop and Two-James rye whiskey and Evie's Tamales and... and.. .and...

Detroit is legit awesome and also loving infuriating at the same time. I've lived in a lot of places, but none nearly as dumb as SEMI.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Also, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Beverly Hills Cop and Two-James rye whiskey and Evie's Tamales and... and.. .and...

Detroit is legit awesome and also loving infuriating at the same time. I've lived in a lot of places, but none nearly as dumb as SEMI.

Yeah the more I travel the more I love my city and hate my state, haha

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Wark Say posted:

So, no Simpsons/Family Guy and such?

They got fx and fxx, so they have reruns I guess

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The way things are ramping up, it might. I wouldn’t be shocked if people start making undecided noises again.

Sweet new avatar (again) brah lmao

what'd you do

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

empty whippet box posted:

Sweet new avatar (again) brah lmao

what'd you do

It's a good one, I approve.

Because it's right.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Let me guess, you pissed off some jackass in USPol because you actually worked to get a candidate elected while they just sat back and bitched about purity.

E: Look, I'll freely agree that Northam deserved to be slapped for that one, but here's the point: he got slapped. You think if Ed Gillespie was in his place right now and tweeted something about selling poor people to zoos for meat that there would be anyone around him that said "erm maybe you shouldn't do this"?

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 17, 2017

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

The Phlegmatist posted:

Not saying they're not dangerous, but it's more useful to call them moronic basement dwellers rather than to live in fear of them. They want to be considered a spooky threat.

They keep killing people. Isn’t there a point where we should say “someone should prevent this” instead of “haha what kind of loser only kills two people during a school shooting”?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I honestly don't understand the mechanism which leads to fox being as overwhelmingly a trumpstaffel propaganda machine as it is, as compared to a "normal" conservative news organization.
If by "normal" you mean something like National Review, that should be obvious: Fox News exists to provide entertainment first and news as a very distant second. It's always been an attempt to dress up right-wing talk radio in a 24-hour cable news suit, especially in its prime time lineup.

empty whippet box posted:

Anyone who believes that all republicans are old people must not live in the south, is all I can think.
Anyone that thinks it's all in the South needs to keep in mind that the margins needed to make elections uncompetitive are fairly small. The losing contingent is still very large in most places. Trump lost California 2:1, that still means you can sell right-wing infotainment to a third of Californians.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Alter Ego posted:

Let me guess, you pissed off some jackass in USPol because you actually worked to get a candidate elected while they just sat back and bitched about purity.

my bet is on kilroy

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

botany posted:

my bet is on kilroy

he has been pretty extra lately lmao

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

So is there any chance of threatening the republicans' majorities in the house or the senate? I'm not American so I only vaguely know how it works and how things are.

Or is there any other way to frustrate Trump or make it hard for him to do anything except for the next presidential election?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alter Ego posted:

It really seems like some 'leftist' would rather VA have stayed a locked-in republican state just rather than a centrist dem win just so they can claim they were right. The same people that think Clinton getting elected would be just as bad as Trump getting elected, I guess. I'm disappointed that every elected official isn't a left-of-bernie revolutionary too but blowing $50 to impotently stick it to someone who's actually out there doing the work because you're upset about a headline is pretty out there.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Shibawanko posted:

So is there any chance of threatening the republicans' majorities in the house or the senate? I'm not American so I only vaguely know how it works and how things are.

Or is there any other way to frustrate Trump or make it hard for him to do anything except for the next presidential election?

House: yes, absolutely. Every House seat is up for election every 2 years.
Senate: possible, but less likely. Only 1/3 of Senate seats are up for election every 2 years, and the ones up for grabs in 2018 don't include many Republican seats, and do include a good number of vulnerable Democrats.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 17, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who work in politics and just don't get too specific about it because of that. Sorry ybf

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

While they also decry the excessive partisanship in Washington.

Working together is how it's supposed to work, and has worked for most of the last 200+ years.

lmao is this for real.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pakled posted:

House: yes, absolutely.
Senate: possible, but less likely. There aren't many Republican Senate seats up for grabs next year, and there are a good number of vulnerable Democrats.

Is it really likely that the house will flip? The current republican majority looks pretty big.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao is this for real.

It’s Deteriorata, dude.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

Is it really likely that the house will flip? The current republican majority looks pretty big.

if we go by the polling and history the republicans are going to get massacred.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Shibawanko posted:

Current projections suggest it takes like +8 voter swing to change the house, actual polls put the current real number in 10-14% in favor depending on the source.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao is this for real.

Let me introduce you to this document called the Constitution. It lays out a form of government where power is dispersed among many rival entities so as to force them to cooperate to get anything done.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

There are 8 GOP held Senate seats up in 2018 and 25 Democrat or Democrat aligned seats. There'll also very likely be a special election for McCain's seat too. The Dems would need to gain 2 seats net from that to win the Senate.

All House seats are up in 2018. The Democrats need 218 to win the majority and they currently have 193. 25 Republican and 14 Democratic Representatives are resigning so those seats will not have an incumbency advantage.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shibawanko posted:

The opposition party gains seats in almost every midterm election (minus 9/11) and the Democrats have been overperforming expectations in every single election since Trump took office. See the Tea Party wave in 2010 and Republicans taking the House for the first time in decades 2 years after Clinton was elected.

The Republicans maintain such a majority in the House because those seats are gerrymandered to make their seats more favorable to them. They are not actually getting that many more votes. It's hard to overcome but gerrymandering is a double-edged sword and if the wave is large enough, all those gerrymandered seats go down.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If Virginia and Alabama are any indication, the rivers will run red with the blood of the republicans in 2018.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Helen Highwater posted:

25 Republican and 14 Democratic Representatives are resigning so those seats will not have an incumbency advantage.

first I've heard of this many resignations. Is this higher or lower than the median?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mustached Demon posted:

If Virginia and Alabama are any indication, the rivers will run red with the blood of the republicans in 2018.

And it's not like they're currently on track to do anything popular to change this course.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

ketchup vs catsup posted:

first I've heard of this many resignations. Is this higher or lower than the median?

Much, much higher.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

botany posted:

i love that the US always has very good ratings on corruption indexes because you've legalized all your corruption, lol

this is actually no-poo poo an institutional step up from Brown Bag O' Cash corruption

like, you know, still horrific, and we should probably discourage this sort of thing in our allegedly civilized society

but there are very good reasons for countries to transition from one to the other even if it's politically unfeasible to destroy the gravy train altogether

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Alter Ego posted:

E: Look, I'll freely agree that Northam deserved to be slapped for that one, but here's the point: he got slapped. You think if Ed Gillespie was in his place right now and tweeted something about selling poor people to zoos for meat that there would be anyone around him that said "erm maybe you shouldn't do this"?

It's that. They got real salty about the leaflets and had a good time insisting Ralph is actually a giant racist who's going to betray us all when he really just needs a slap. There's a subset of human being that would rather be worse-off-but-correct instead of better-off-but-annoyed.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
At this point, the only thing I can imagine saving the Republican House majority is a war.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do we actually score well on corruption indices? i thought we scored laughably bad for a developed country.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Night10194 posted:

And it's not like they're currently on track to do anything popular to change this course.
After the Tea Party poo poo in 2010 I'm just always going to stick with "a lot can happen in 2 years."

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Your Boy Fancy posted:

It's that. They got real salty about the leaflets and had a good time insisting Ralph is actually a giant racist who's going to betray us all when he really just needs a slap. There's a subset of human being that would rather be worse-off-but-correct instead of better-off-but-annoyed.

I need a new av after getting banned for openly wishing for the murder of government officials, if someone wants to target someone for an obnoxious and mean red text avatar then I'm right here waiting, people. :colbert:

<---hey, it worked!

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Deteriorata posted:

Let me introduce you to this document called the Constitution. It lays out a form of government where power is dispersed among many rival entities so as to force them to cooperate to get anything done.

...until they realized compromise is for chumps and all you have to do is Stonewall and convince your voters it's the other side's fault nothing I'd getting done. Then you just keep doing that until they vote you a majority, then use that majority to disenfranchise the other side as much as possible.

"Middle ground" is dead, we live in an era of "Total Victory or Bust" politics.

• Locked thread