Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Lurks Morington posted:

Yeah get with the pogrom you antisemites. It’s almost as if Germany rounded up all the “undesirables” and they became Jewish because they shared their stories while they were in camp.

....Proceed, governor. :frogon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe

Great Metal Jesus posted:

....Proceed, governor. :frogon:

The Holocaust happened, but people can still learn from it. Much of medical knowledge comes from meticulous German note taking. I would imagine that it’s shameful because if your group got genocided you’d never want it to happen again

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am pretty sure that like 50% of americans think gypsies are some type of fictional witch type creature in the same category as a leprechaun or something. Or is an olde timey 1800s thing, or is a quasi 'profession' like rail riding hobo was. Outside europe I think more people don't know "Gypsy" is an ethnic group than people that do know that.

That made it extra weird when Fox News tried to run a scare campaign against them in like a few months ago.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe

fishmech posted:

That made it extra weird when Fox News tried to run a scare campaign against them in like a few months ago.

The Romani or Roma are a nomadic people in Europe. They have a bad reputation as thieves and pick pockets

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Um... lurk more?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lurks Morington posted:

The Romani or Roma are a nomadic people in Europe. They have a bad reputation as thieves and pick pockets

They are absolutely hated in europe but have such a low population in the US that most people have not even ever met one to the point a large population literally thinks of them as being fictional. Making them a bizarre target for fox news to treat as a threat. They make up less than .3% of the US population and only a small percentage of that has any cultural link to any sort of roma identity or culture.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Do you mean Al-Anon? They're as stated a somewhat veiled evangelical organization. They don't make it outwardly known as far as I know but I've heard, to add to what's been posted, that a big part of it is Jesus and things related to Jesus.

No, there's an AA type group and NarcAnon I believe which are run by Scientology specifically to convert people

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurks Morington posted:

The Holocaust happened, but people can still learn from it. Much of medical knowledge comes from meticulous German note taking. I would imagine that it’s shameful because if your group got genocided you’d never want it to happen again

this is actually nonsense by the way. medical experiments in the camps were for the most part unscientific, produced no usable outcome at all, or duplicated existing research. there are two exceptions to this, involving phosphene gas and hypothermia. the latter (where nazis basically froze people to death to see how their bodies reacted) has been helpful in developing anti-freezing suits to help people survive in cold water (e.g. after their plane crashed into the sea). that isn't to say that german medical science didn't produce anything during those times, normal research still went on and in some cases depended on tissue samples received from the camps. but the actual experiments run on concentration camp inmates were almost all useless.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well even the usefulness of the hypothermia experiments has been questioned quite strongly by some researchers citing very poor and inconsistent practices as well as incredible brutality. Even the first advocate for using the research later agreed that the data wasn't as useful as he'd originally thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/17/us/nazi-data-on-hypothermia-termed-unscientific.html

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Baka-nin posted:

Well even the usefulness of the hypothermia experiments has been questioned quite strongly by some researchers citing very poor and inconsistent practices as well as incredible brutality. Even the first advocate for using the research later agreed that the data wasn't as useful as he'd originally thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/17/us/nazi-data-on-hypothermia-termed-unscientific.html

oh i wasn't aware of that, thanks for the heads-up! yeah, that just makes the whole thing even more obvious.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What do you mean Nazi science was poor, the 'See what happens when you sew twins together', 'All celestial bodies are made of ice' and 'Let's look for Santa Claus and recruit him' projects were extremely well considered at the time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it bothers me a great deal that mengele died by drowning decades after the war. wish the nazi hunters had tracked him down faster.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Skellybones posted:

What do you mean Nazi science was poor, the 'See what happens when you sew twins together', 'All celestial bodies are made of ice' and 'Let's look for Santa Claus and recruit him' projects were extremely well considered at the time.

Given that I know that there were equally crazy plans and everything else in your comment is a cold statement of fact, I'm not sure if your Santa Claus comment is a joke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they did try to replace santa claus with odin (arguing santa was a christianization of the norse god) and also replace the coming of jesus with the coming of hitler as the savior. jesus being a jew was a problem for them.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Skellybones posted:

Now, this is the acme of foolishness.

Everyone knows that Santa only delivers to good girls and boys.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it bothers me a great deal that mengele died by drowning decades after the war. wish the nazi hunters had tracked him down faster.

If it’s any consolation to you, I’ve heard drowning’s a terrible way to go :unsmith:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nazi science was hosed up and stupid and very non-scientific.
Nazi superweapons were an amazing waste of resources.
Nazi efficiency saw them having some of the least efficient industry and manufacturing in the war due to insane corruption and inefficiency.
Nazi mechanized warfare saw most of their army walking or using horse carts because their above mentioned industry was so backwards and lovely they couldn't equip them selves.

The nazi's were really backwards, inefficient, and generally bad at everything they did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish they had made the ratte tho.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Given that I know that there were equally crazy plans and everything else in your comment is a cold statement of fact, I'm not sure if your Santa Claus comment is a joke.

A slight exaggeration, they were actually looking for the superhuman proto-Aryan giants of Thule at the North Pole. Who would then share their scientific and mystical lore and bring forth a real world Wolfenstein: New Colossus timeline.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's literally the plot of the 2009 wolfenstein game except they're looking in Germany.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skellybones posted:

you forgot "can we change peoples' eye color to blue permanently and also does that make them real Aryans" :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Part of what you have to keep in mind for why so much of the nazi research that was crimey ends up being useless, is that a lot of non-crime similar research in other countries was also useless in the end. Because the testing instrumentation and methodology of the time was just not up to snuff.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Iron Skies was a documentary

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Lurks Morington posted:

Yeah get with the pogrom you antisemites. It’s almost as if Germany rounded up all the “undesirables” and they became Jewish because they shared their stories while they were in camp.

Wait, let's get back to this. Is the claim here that only a fraction of the victims of the Nazi extermination were Jewish, and that only later were the vast majority considered to be Jews "because they shared stories"? How the hell does that work? And how the hell does that square with the very outspoken, very public Nazi program of rounding up all European Jews in camps?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Jewishness is like cholera in that it spreads rapidly through densely packed populations lacking access to proper sanitation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Er.. I'm an AA member and didn't become a born-again christian though I did become clean and sober. Maybe don't believe everything you hear?

Also, AA in US is really dumb and evangelical in many states, so I'd also caution you not to judge a thing based on what Americans do with it.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Skellybones posted:

Jewishness is like cholera in that it spreads rapidly through densely packed populations lacking access to proper sanitation.

i realize you're attempting to make a joke about that other poster, but this is still a super gross thing to say and you should seriously rethink your attempts at comedy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tias posted:

Also, AA in US is really dumb and evangelical in many states, so I'd also caution you not to judge a thing based on what Americans do with it.

Like democracy :boom:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Tias posted:

Er.. I'm an AA member and didn't become a born-again christian though I did become clean and sober. Maybe don't believe everything you hear?

I'm pretty sure it was founded in America. If it's different in your country, it's because you cleaned it up.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It probably also varies a lot with the region and the individual groups though - I mean that is also true for churches, where even within denominations you can have differences in how things are done and how doctrine is really interpreted/implemented based on the community and the local leader. See the documentary on Irish Catholicism, Father Ted.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tias posted:

Alcoholics Anonymous was founded in the US as an explicitly Christian organization because the founders and everyone they trained truly believed they needed spiritual assistance to kick alcohol.

The principle of minimal organization outside the local groups certainly means individual groups may drop God but they're the exception not the norm.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
AA also doesn't look good in efficacy studies. to the point where according to some studies it doesn't do much better than doing nothing.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Also, Nazi uniforms were designed to look good on the runway and in parades but were hilariously impractical in the field.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also, Nazi uniforms were designed to look good on the runway and in parades but were hilariously impractical in the field.

Though that is most certainly not a novel failing.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Uhhh so didn't that Q guy on 4 or 8 chan or whatever predict that the mainstream news would be talking about UFO stuff today? Just saw something on CNN. Little scary.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

gowb posted:

Uhhh so didn't that Q guy on 4 or 8 chan or whatever predict that the mainstream news would be talking about UFO stuff today? Just saw something on CNN. Little scary.

That isn’t a spooky prediction, the military just released a big dump of ufo stuff a few days ago. (The main info being investigation into ufos found nothing interesting)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That isn’t a spooky prediction, the military just released a big dump of ufo stuff a few days ago. (The main info being investigation into ufos found nothing interesting)

lol "nothing interesting"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jazerus posted:

lol "nothing interesting"

They ended the program and dumped the secret info because it never found anything

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

Which parts are you referring to? I've never actually worn a Nazi uniform so I'm not sure how they feel.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Oh if you want an street level view of just how inefficient and futile the Nazi's were just go to Nuremberg. You can get a guided tour from the ruins of the rally grounds to the famous courtroom. Most of the rally complexes where never finished and the one ground that was completed had to be partially dismantled by the local government in the 1970's because it was in danger of collapse. Though to be fair you can see from a plane, which Allied bombers took full advantage of when flying missions over the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Goon Danton posted:

I'm pretty sure it was founded in America. If it's different in your country, it's because you cleaned it up.

fishmech posted:

Alcoholics Anonymous was founded in the US as an explicitly Christian organization because the founders and everyone they trained truly believed they needed spiritual assistance to kick alcohol.

The principle of minimal organization outside the local groups certainly means individual groups may drop God but they're the exception not the norm.

AA is not an explicitly christian organization. Hell, guys, I've been a member for many years, and I've participated in the big conventions of 100+K members in the states. Peoples faith, or lack of same, are defined by already existing cultural parameters, I know plenty of US-based members who are atheists or agnostics.

You can keep going on about it if you want to, but what you're saying is simply not true.

Here's the 2nd step that you're harping on about, though you clearly have no idea what it entails: https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_step2.pdf

botany posted:

AA also doesn't look good in efficacy studies. to the point where according to some studies it doesn't do much better than doing nothing.

I have personally talked with at thousands of alcoholics, junkies, overeaters, terminally codependent and sex addicts who got permanently clean using the steps, and our own estimates( because we don't keep rolls) puts the numbers at at least 10 million recovered.

Our method is by nature hard to measure, but without AA we'd have lost a -lot- more people to addiction.

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 19, 2017

• Locked thread