Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So if I wanted to try something completely different from my past games and do a Tribal game with only Tribal-level enemies, what mods would you guys recommend?

Or maybe I should do the Medieval mod instead. I know those ones can remove high tech stuff, but even lower tech sounds like it might be interesting to try.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
How about tribal, and you start as tribal and progress to medieval tech :shrug:

You can control which factions are out there (which in turn controls which enemy tech levels) with this excellent mod by Rainbeau:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1232772426

You want Tribal Raiders, which basically adds permanent enemy factions at tribal tech, to replace the vanilla high tech pirates:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1228122583

e: Seeds Please really changes the early game, I started a new colony in tropical archipelago and there's barely any edible plants - there's a tiny bit of corn in an island I can't reach, and since I don't have any metal it's going to be a while before I can farm anything but trees:

At least there's a lot of meat :btroll:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 17, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah I actually just found those mods, lol. Originally was editing my post above, but I'll move it down here.

Found a few that I can kludge something together with

Tribal Essentials: some useful extra tribal stuff
Faction Control, lets you control which factions spawn, including minimizing mechanoids so I can just "turn off" the Outlanders and Pirates and stuff.
Tribal Raiders, basically tribal level always hostile pirates

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I kind of recommend Stove Tech, which requires you to research a topic before you can unlock the stove:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1213734112

This is sort of covered by Tribal Essentials but I like that you're required to use the really lovely food prep stations for a while (all the bottom tier stuff) before you can build the modern stove.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A single precious corn plant spawned and I feel like I'd better wall it up:

e: yeah that's not very fun, welp

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 17, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I can only imagine the sheer hell that would be trying to grow a sizeable amount of devilstrand using the seed mod. I do like the idea but the game just isn't balanced for it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I used to play with the seeds mod a couple versions ago and it mades the food game a nightmarish mess of micromangement and turns cold snaps and crop blights from "gently caress, that sucks, looks like long pig is back on the menu this winter" to "I want to quit because I spent two years getting a decent supply of seeds for this crop and now they're all loving dead and I don't have anymore".

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone in this thread make me a steamworks collection of cool poo poo? I hate picking mods out for myself.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Can someone in this thread make me a steamworks collection of cool poo poo? I hate picking mods out for myself.

Front page steam workshop. Its literally all the best mods. I posted all the mods I use a few posts back, just spit all the anime poo poo out. The only good QOL mod I dont have is the repair mod, because I didn't know it was a thing. But like seriously go through steam workshop, all the best mods are obvious.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

I can only imagine the sheer hell that would be trying to grow a sizeable amount of devilstrand using the seed mod. I do like the idea but the game just isn't balanced for it.

I'm trying to figure it out but I don't quite get it, it looks like 1 plant = 1 seed and not all plants yield seeds (notably berries don't). I don't think I can really get any farming going starting with nothing :shrug: I'll bang on it a little more though.

Kanos posted:

I used to play with the seeds mod a couple versions ago and it mades the food game a nightmarish mess of micromangement and turns cold snaps and crop blights from "gently caress, that sucks, looks like long pig is back on the menu this winter" to "I want to quit because I spent two years getting a decent supply of seeds for this crop and now they're all loving dead and I don't have anymore".

Reading the comments this is a really common complaint.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 17, 2017

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I tend to like earlier game more than late game. Low tech is also more fun, although you really need to mod the game to (1) flesh out tribal gameplay and (2) remove all the high-tech raiders which bring high-tech gear to your doorstep.

Here's the end of my last run. I built a drug-colony - huge psychoid fields and a terraformed deep water moat around the full perimeter:

By this point, I was making thousands upon thousands of yayo to sell to orbital traders at ~13s each. That was a fuckton of money and my whole group was essentially full cyborg by the end.

Raiders had a really hard time getting past the billion steel traps:

Here's the graveyard about halfway through the run, before I built an incinerator:

You can see that the drug production pipeline was extremely profitable:

Had some decent organization, which gave me a nice looking stockpile:

Had a megasloth invasion, and they also failed to get anywhere near my guys:

Honestly? It was a bit boring. Too much money, too easy, I was basically playing on 3x waiting for the next trader or raid. I eventually killed my base by turning on dev mode and summoning 10 simultaneous raids. Eventually we got overrun and killed.

I'll probably do a tribal low-tech run next, with some of the mods Flesh has been running (archipalego, tribal raiders, tribal essentials, swimming, medieval, etc). I haven't done a cult game yet, so maybe that's worth a shot too - I haven't been able to convince myself that it sounds like fun.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cults is a really neat mod and you should definitely try it but once you've seen all of the things the various gods have to offer it's a lot less broken to stick with only 1 or 2. Also yeah I think I should break down and go with some stack size increaser because needing gigantic areas to store piles and piles of rubbish is pretty stale.

Seeds Please isn't that bad if you build the bench it includes, you don't really get your crop seeds from harvesting things but from processing raw plants at the bench.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I stick pretty much entirely with Dagon. Cthulhu's psionic lobes are nice, and Hastur's King in Yellow spells are cool, but Shooby and Gnarly really don't do much for me. Dagon delivers gold and components, both of which I always need more of.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

High tech colonies are really fun if you refuse to build traditional kill corridors and install mods that introduce more dangerous raids(Rimsenal and the mechanoid expansion mods are good for this).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The problem with high tech though is that eventually you build the unassailable wall of assault rifles (or whatever alternative you settle on) and you become essentially the human killbox.

e: I mean heavy melees also end up being really strong but to me each of them has some individual character, rather than "guy with assault rifle #27" :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 18, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

The problem with high tech though is that eventually you build the unassailable wall of assault rifles (or whatever alternative you settle on) and you become essentially the human killbox.

Without a killbox setup, even like 15 colonists with assault rifles and power armor run a serious risk of being overrun/destroyed/mangled beyond repair by a juiced up mechanoid raid or a tribal human wave.

Honestly, playing my current medieval colony(inspired in large part by your amazonian tribe), I'm finding trap corridors to be even more destabilizingly unfair than the traditional turret box. Traps cost nothing at all and will kill or mangle dozens of dudes with a sufficient corridor once you start building the traps out of materials better than wood/bone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah metal traps are way too good, even granite is very good, but bone or wood aren't so broken (unless you build a really tremendous amount). Consider a no-ores start too, it really is pretty satisfying when you eventually get your poo poo together in spite of that :black101:

Also let's see some pictures of your low medieval colony :)

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah metal traps are way too good, even granite is very good, but bone or wood aren't so broken (unless you build a really tremendous amount). Consider a no-ores start too, it really is pretty satisfying when you eventually get your poo poo together in spite of that :black101:

Yeah, no ore no chunk are definitely the way to go. It’s a kick in the balls, but it makes steel actually worth something more than a few swings at an ore vein. It almost brings some balance to the whole steel trap thing.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Had my main doctor hit a trap, took an 80% scar to the brain. She sat as a vegetable for two quads till I realized she wasn’t doing poo poo, so I dropped some Lucy on her, and BAM, she’s back in the game, at 30% consciousness. After a slow quad of mostly dumb labor, her scar heals up, and now she’s a superhuman doctor and sculptor again.

Means I gotta crack an ancient danger every now and then for her fix, but man, Lucy can really breathe some new life into otherwise dead pawns.

Tried the same experiment on a pregnant cow that was also 10% consciousness due to brain scar, which gave her just long enough to calve a couple new milk droppers, then shut off her supply. Thankfully we forgot to feed her, so she died before she could go on some kind of O’Leary rampage.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Useful trivia: Medieval Times fences (really lovely walls) can be built in BASIC bridges.

e: I never bothered to fence my crops before because eh I'll just plant a few hundred tiles of rice :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 18, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

It's only a year and a half in or so. I just barely finished basic electricity research a season ago and so far my sole electric plant is being used to fuel a mending bench and nothing else. My colonists are all kitted out in plate, with the melee dudes rocking halberds and the ranged dudes rocking a random collection of precious scavenged firearms that my dumb tribals don't know how to reproduce.

General overview.

My rudimentary trap corridor, still rocking bone and wood traps. I need to get cracking on trap upgrades; the gun-toting raids that have started coming as I've stabilized and begun to generate wealth are overflowing the chute in increasing numbers, and while my halberdiers have been able to handle it so far I'd rather not risk any permanent injuries that I have no way to treat if some dude with a Doomsday rocket happens to slip the net. The huge pile of clothing is because this is shortly after a raid came through. You can also see the mushroom shack that has been roughly half of my food output for the last year(I went from winter to a volcanic winter that lasted until the current winter).

My rudimentary prison block. I need to expand it because the tiny rooms are pissing the prisoners off something fierce and anyone I capture tends to be someone I want to convince(less useful captures are either executed where they lay or patched up and shipped off).

My basic bedrooms, my lovely dining room/rec room, my workshops, and a little bit of my kitchen section.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you build more traps than that you'll probably end up with nobody to fight :shrug:

It's a cool thing about this game that 10 people can build very efficient colonies and they pretty much don't look anything like each other :thumbsup:
e: Modest beginnings :kiddo:

Seeds Please isn't that bad as long as your map has at least one food crop and some wild healroot, it's surprisingly very difficult in Tropical maps and of course in the barren biomes.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 18, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Medieval Times has rapidly become my favorite mod, not just for the low tech quality of life things but because having functional, good armor before loving power armor means that you can actually fight somewhat fairly in dangerous situations without being terrified that some dickhead with a wooden stick is going to rip your arm off in two hits. Being able to break open mechanoid ship parts with a squadron of knights armed with halberds and having them fight the scythers and centipedes to a standstill in heroic combat is :black101: as hell.

It even balances out to a large degree because random raiders tend to be packing full equipment kits too.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 18, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Another satisfied customer :thumbsup:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Kanos, are you running some glass ceiling mod? Otherwise I’m not sure how you’re getting appropriate lighting for your crops.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ruggan posted:

Here's the end of my last run. I built a drug-colony - huge psychoid fields and a terraformed deep water moat around the full perimeter:

Honestly? It was a bit boring.
Well there's your problem!

There are a lot of things that make sense and would be cool, but the current game doesn't really support them. Embrasures are a big one- logical, but the AI totally doesn't get them so they're absurdly overpowered.

Using water for defense is another one like that that seems like it should be cool, but totally isn't reasonable given the lack of tools your opponents have to deal with it. I feel like those archipelago maps, as cool as they are, kind of have a similar problem.

Raiders learn about your death-hall of traps after a few goes and will avoid that path like the plague, even if it's apparently wide open to them. But if the've got no other choices- no random walls to bust down or mountains to dig through- I guess they'll keep dying in the same way over and over.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There’s that one ceiling mod that’s not only glass ceilings, but you could even make solar power ceilings.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ruggan posted:

Kanos, are you running some glass ceiling mod? Otherwise I’m not sure how you’re getting appropriate lighting for your crops.

The fungus want darkness, and for the other stuff I think....vegetable garden? has skylights.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Kanos posted:

The fungus want darkness, and for the other stuff I think....vegetable garden? has skylights.

Yeah, I was eyeing the devilstrand in particular

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Eiba posted:

There are a lot of things that make sense and would be cool, but the current game doesn't really support them. Embrasures are a big one- logical, but the AI totally doesn't get them so they're absurdly overpowered.

Using water for defense is another one like that that seems like it should be cool, but totally isn't reasonable given the lack of tools your opponents have to deal with it. I feel like those archipelago maps, as cool as they are, kind of have a similar problem.

Raiders learn about your death-hall of traps after a few goes and will avoid that path like the plague, even if it's apparently wide open to them. But if the've got no other choices- no random walls to bust down or mountains to dig through- I guess they'll keep dying in the same way over and over.

Yeah, I know. I did it because I could, but I had a feeling it would be imbalanced.

Archipelago map with swimming mod may be a little less prone to the problem you describe.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ruggan posted:

Yeah, I was eyeing the devilstrand in particular

The devilstrand was actually a macguyver project brought on by desperation; a random cold snap nearly wiped out the entire plot at like 50% growth, so I panicked and threw up a wall around it with some hearths to keep it warm enough. I managed to save the crop and went "huh, wait, what if I punched some holes in the roof to let some light in?" which actually worked for a bit, moving over to skylights once I researched them to reduce heat bleed.

It's pretty dreadfully fuel inefficient(one of my guys spends every single day mining coal to fuel all the hearths and braziers in my colony), but it's worked out pretty well given my technology level and the extended winter I've had to deal with.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Eiba posted:

There is a mod that allows pawns to swim but I can't get it to work. And yes it's possible to completely turtle up with deep water but people need to be grownups and not do that, I limit how many traps I make and purposely build them out of weaker materials so they'll be less deadly. Sappers also still punch directly through and the harder raids still breeze through them and have to be dealt with by fighters, and also you still have to deal with sieges :shrug:

Too many traps/too perfect an entrance definitely does have the same kind of problem as the perfect turret killbox though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Does the new medical mechanites quest item cure luci addiction?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I finally got 5 mortars up and had a 40-50 hostile tribal raid. Knocking out six and wounding 8 so they lingered behind the onslaught made things way simpler. Totally a believer in the defensive mortar battery

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Looks like the Dropships mod is getting an update from someone on the ludeon forums, original creator says he's going to test it and put it up later this week. :dance:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I didn't know this game was so anime. I just had a "pop idol pirate" by the name of Priscilla Bellerose show up at my encampment. She was the leader of her faction.

Then she died to some mechanoids, and was replaced as leader by Ronin Lawless.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Flesh Forge posted:

A single precious corn plant spawned and I feel like I'd better wall it up:

You know what you have to do.

autoturret, sandbags and mine all nearby grazing areas

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
In the vein of "that makes it too easy", rain forests are super easy mode once you get a steady source of penoxy.

My current colony has crossed that barrier and there is no real problems from the map anymore. Growing season is almost year round, but I usually keep growing right through the "winter" anyway. Wood everywhere, plants grow back so fast I don't need to do anything for my herd to graze, duster/cowboy hat takes care of heat well enough even in a heat wave and so on.

Thought rain forest was going to be a challenge.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah it's really binary between 'vulnerable to disease' and not. The temperature extreme maps are much harder, the maps with a seasonal swing are just right for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

bird food bathtub posted:

In the vein of "that makes it too easy", rain forests are super easy mode once you get a steady source of penoxy.

My current colony has crossed that barrier and there is no real problems from the map anymore. Growing season is almost year round, but I usually keep growing right through the "winter" anyway. Wood everywhere, plants grow back so fast I don't need to do anything for my herd to graze, duster/cowboy hat takes care of heat well enough even in a heat wave and so on.

Thought rain forest was going to be a challenge.

The heat is the main challenge, although building area is a secondary one. Once you get past those it’s actually easier than other regions due to the typical year-round growing.

Some clothing trivializes temperature a bit too much - I think there are mods to reduce the bonus from stuff like wool. I don’t run them but I see why you might. An alpaca wool parka for instance gives a ridiculous -200F level insulation.