Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

holdo didn't know Poe and he did not make a good first impression . That's reason enough to not tell him her plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a poor plot contrivance. They have to make this new leader seem kinda shady (for some reason), and the last thing you want to do in a desperate situation where the people under your command are deserting and losing faith is to just brush them off when they ask how they are going to get out of this situation that is not looking good.

Uhhh...yeah, that's exactly my point. I get why Holdo didn't tell Poe anything (he's a glorywhore who just got put in Leia's doghouse for getting a large chunk of pilots killed), but it was absolutely the wrong call. I get why Poe mutinied, since as far as he knows she's just leading the Resistance to a slow death. An open dialogue would have fixed that, which is one of those things this movie made a huge point about.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

euphronius posted:

holdo didn't know Poe and he did not make a good first impression . That's reason enough to not tell him her plans.

On that thought, I loved this movie for calling out Poe on his dangerous cocksure risks, directly disobeying orders and highlighting that his actions resulted in people getting killed. It was another nice reverse trope which I didn't expect from a blockbuster.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I heard Master Yoda talking about intellectuals, I was wondering, what are intellectuals?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Filthy Casual posted:

Uhhh...yeah, that's exactly my point. I get why Holdo didn't tell Poe anything (he's a glorywhore who just got put in Leia's doghouse for getting a large chunk of pilots killed), but it was absolutely the wrong call. I get why Poe mutinied, since as far as he knows she's just leading the Resistance to a slow death. An open dialogue would have fixed that, which is one of those things this movie made a huge point about.

So the point isn’t that being a cocksure, hotshot, do at it alone, war movie trope is bad in and of itself, it’s that it’s only bad when your boss secretly has a really good idea they won’t tell you about?

Also, what else in the movie does an open dialogue fix? Rey and Kylo have one and end up the mortalest of enemies. The New Order only learns about the escaping transports because Poe tells Finn about the plan. Luke doesn’t tell anyone about his plan at the end and it works perfectly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

That's pretty much what is happening here and people are being serious about it. It's really loving gross and a childish dismissal of others opinions on the movie.

Like, you're (not you ABC) so loving cool for "getting" and "enjoying" TLJ. Grow up.

lmao a post about how liking a movie means needing to grow up. Amazing.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

So the point isn’t that being a cocksure, hotshot, do at it alone, war movie trope is bad in and of itself, it’s that it’s only bad when your boss secretly has a really good idea they won’t tell you about?

Two things can be bad at the same time.

quote:

Also, what else in the movie does an open dialogue fix? Rey and Kylo have one and end up the mortalest of enemies. The New Order only learns about the escaping transports because Poe tells Finn about the plan. Luke doesn’t tell anyone about his plan at the end and it works perfectly.

Luke's entire failure with Kylo was the gut instinct to snuff him out when he sensed darkness instead of, y'know...talking to the kid.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Was Poes decision in the opening battle actually the wrong one? Didn't he say the dreadnaught was a fleet kill or something? Sounds like it's worth losing a squadron of bombers for.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

That's pretty much what is happening here and people are being serious about it. It's really loving gross and a childish dismissal of others opinions on the movie.

Like, you're (not you ABC) so loving cool for "getting" and "enjoying" TLJ. Grow up.

Chill out, it's just a Star Wars movie, enjoy yourself.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Filthy Casual posted:

Two things can be bad at the same time.

Both people being wrong means that the only thing the movie is saying is “people should talk more” and any interesting points about the value and wisdom of individual heroics are dulled.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Chill out, it's just a Star Wars movie, enjoy yourself.

This. The whole premise of Star Wars is absurd. Rian Johnson takes that and runs with it and it's glorious.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mahoning posted:

Yep.

You know what other “gripe” bothers me?

“Why didn’t Holdo tell Poe her plan?”

Did you miss the scene where he got dozens if not hundreds of people killed? Then he got demoted?

Did you miss that it was his mission and that if he hadn't taken out the dreadnaught it would've destroyed the cruiser and killed Leia, 3PO, Holdo and everyone else? It was literally preparing to fire as the bombs hit it.

Guess so. Everyone seems to miss the specifics of the very first scene in the film.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

CODChimera posted:

Was Poes decision in the opening battle actually the wrong one? Didn't he say the dreadnaught was a fleet kill or something? Sounds like it's worth losing a squadron of bombers for.

If your entire fleet is 3 ships, any Imperial ship is a fleet killer. What the rebels really should have been doing all along was suicide Hyperspace jump some X-wings into Star Destroyers. One Mon Calamari cruiser rips apart an entire fleet, it stands to reason an X-wing can do some serious damage.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Milky Moor posted:

Did you miss that it was his mission and that if he hadn't taken out the dreadnaught it would've destroyed the cruiser and killed Leia, 3PO, Holdo and everyone else? It was literally preparing to fire as the bombs hit it.

Guess so. Everyone seems to miss the specifics of the very first scene in the film.

Isn't the only reason the cruiser was still sticking around long enough to be fired on was that Poe went through with the dreadnought attack? If he had stopped when Leia told him to, they would have just jumped to lightspeed and peaced out.

Of course, this means that they would have had to take out the dreadnought anyway once the First Order showed up.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

MajorB posted:

Isn't the only reason the cruiser was still sticking around long enough to be fired on was that Poe went through with the dreadnought attack? If he had stopped out when Leia told him to, they would have just jumped to lightspeed and peaced out.

The huge slow bombers (they are probably the slowest SW ships seen on screen) were never going to outrun the quick and nimble TIEs during a retreat. There would still be a wait involved.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Those bombers looked like huge, older B-Wings

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Milky Moor posted:

If they weren't waiting for those ships to come back they would have jumped, and never been in any danger. Weird hill for you to die on, defending his lovely suicide attack of a meaningless ship.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel the need to point out this is a movie series where the bad guys attack a base by sending tanks on legs that make them easier to knock over.

"Strategy" is kinda loose in these movies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Are the bombers always on suicide runs? I was not at all clear on how they were going to get out of there even if things went swimmingly.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
For some reason, one of my favourite parts of this was C3P0 doing gently caress all throughout the movie. Like even all characters in-universe know he sucks

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Mulva posted:

If they weren't waiting for those ships to come back they would have jumped, and never been in any danger. Weird hill for you to die on, defending his lovely suicide attack of a meaningless ship.

The bombers were already in the air. They would've had to wait for them to come back. Poe's whole attack on the surface guns was so they could be brought in, and the first shot we see of them is in space. Weird hill for you to die on, admitting to not watching the film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Also, what else in the movie does an open dialogue fix? Rey and Kylo have one and end up the mortalest of enemies.

As a result of their open dialogue, Kylo is able to finally defeat "his true enemy" and Rey manages to save what's left of the Resistance.

The fact that they weren't able to overcome that final barrier to actually become allies is because they were ultimately too focused on who they wanted the other person to be rather than they actually were.

It's not (just) open dialog, it's trust.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

euphronius posted:

I thought it would have been funny for Poe to say, "Why didn't you just tell me your plan in the first place!?" And she could tell him it was on a need-to-know basis and his recent demotion landed him among those who did not need to know.

Also

fridge corn posted:

Episode 8 is really good

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

[quote="“Schwarzwald”" post="“479431958”"]
As a result of their open dialogue, Kylo is able to finally defeat “his true enemy” and Rey manages to save what’s left of the Resistance.

The fact that they weren’t able to overcome that final barrier to actually become allies is because they were ultimately too focused on who they wanted the other person to be rather than they actually were.

It’s not (just) open dialog, it’s trust.
[/quote]

They aren’t allies because one of them wants to rule the universe and the other doesn’t want him to do that. Probably trusting each other more wouldn’t change that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Poe is really bad at opsec.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Seriously why does this mean so much to you? He's manifestly a bad leader, as he leads two more stupid ops in the movie. His "redemption" is in realizing how stupid his final suicide attack is and calling it off, and even then he still loses like half the people he sent out. He's not good at his job. It's like there's nothing unclear about it in the movie, he's not good at the job. As has been said, the most unrealistic part of this movie is why he wasn't shot in the face for treason.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mulva posted:

Seriously why does this mean so much to you? He's manifestly a bad leader, as he leads two more stupid ops in the movie. His "redemption" is in realizing how stupid his final suicide attack is and calling it off, and even then he still loses like half the people he sent out. He's not good at his job. It's like there's nothing unclear about it in the movie, he's not good at the job. As has been said, the most unrealistic part of this movie is why he wasn't shot in the face for treason.

"Luckily" for him, the resistance is now about three boatloads of people who were probably IT staff for ships that no longer exist, and a few rungs of the ladder have opened up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Peter Principle at work. Star Wars is so educational

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

nimby posted:

If your entire fleet is 3 ships, any Imperial ship is a fleet killer. What the rebels really should have been doing all along was suicide Hyperspace jump some X-wings into Star Destroyers. One Mon Calamari cruiser rips apart an entire fleet, it stands to reason an X-wing can do some serious damage.

True true, that sounds like a war winning move.

Lol at shooting Poe, their best pilot and the most competent person in the Resistance. But he's not very competent I hear you cry.... exactly.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Can't the individual ships just warp away if they are disengaging?

Anyways I like that there is an actual payoff from the attack on Starkiller having a whopping seven ships return. Also given the difference in scale it is a bit hard to believe that Leia's summer camp is a big client of any random ship builder. Does the normal Republic use X-wings or something?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mulva posted:

The difficulty in these discussions is that you’re talking about, like, reading the movie as if it were just a script, as if what you’re watching is a documentary of real events that have happened

The movie shows us that Poe is an incredibly talented pilot whose attack on the dreadnaught is successful insofar as it stops the resistance fleet from being killed.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I think the prequels are trash, but I really enjoyed TLJ. That’s my review.

Also glad I went in having heard (not a plot spoiler) it was so joke heavy. I might have reacted to that poorly like so many others as you go into this expecting the opposite.

Also that one shot everyone loves. Good grief.

This may have been the first SW I ever went into “unspoiled.” Specifically stayed away from SA this past week to make sure.

Too early to tell but I’d rank this one highly, looking forward to Johnson’s trilogy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You should retry the prequels (well aotc and rots) of you like tlj. Those two movies reward careful viewing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Especially since an important part of TLJ supports and validates the more "redemptive" readings of the prequels found itt.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I watched this movie. Is too long and the script did not made much sense. I liked parts of it for the visuals, like that huge ship hyperflying through other ship.

Most of the people on this thread seems to like the movie. Good, I guess.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Saw it tonight. I enjoyed it, but it felt to me very much a second part in a trilogy. Whilst TFA was the "rebirth" so to speak, this was bridging the gap between TFA and Ep 9. I think it's a film I'm going to come back to after the trilogy is complete and really be able to tell if it works.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Waffles Inc. posted:

The movie shows us that Poe is an incredibly talented pilot whose attack on the dreadnaught is successful insofar as it stops the resistance fleet from being killed.

But the movie also shows us that while Poe is a badass and talented pilot, his actions are reckless and come at a great cost. The film is pretty explicit about that. Worse is when you realize his insubordination is directly responsible for the deaths of likely hundreds of resistance fighters. Had he not given Finn and Rose the go ahead to find Maz's codebreaker on Canto Bight, the transports carrying the remaining resistance forces retreating to Crait wouldn't have been detected by the First Order's auto gently caress-off canons because Benecio del Toro would have never given up any info in the first place. Poe is cool, but he's a hot-headed maverick that makes bad choices in TLJ several times over. Unless I'm remembering that wrong.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spoiler failure

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

euphronius posted:

Spoiler failure

lol I was gonna say spoilers bro

but based on your post one of the things i'm potentially most excited about for episode IX is Rey building herself a lightsaber please let this happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

trash person posted:

lol I was gonna say spoilers bro

but based on your post one of the things i'm potentially most excited about for episode IX is Rey building herself a lightsaber please let this happen

Yeah I thought it was cool af they had the exposed crystal in the laser sword*

They can go anywhere but a return of the Jedi Rey would own. Dressed in black, moody and not taking anyone's poo poo.

* canon name