Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You, a scruffy Nerf herder

Me, an intellectual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Luke is not a politician, an intellectual, or an elitist.

Luke is a grimy old hermit / dairy farmer.

What makes him an intellectual? The fact that he owns a book?

probably the part where he lead a jedi school and had many pupils being taught under him, also the part where his entire role in the film is an advisory one where he commentates on the force and provides wisdom (albeit in a more brash and less elegant way than other characters in a similar role)

I imagine you're going to be more pedantic about this though

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

probably the part where he lead a jedi school and had many pupils being taught under him, also the part where his entire role in the film is an advisory one where he commentates on the force and provides wisdom (albeit in a more brash and less elegant way than other characters in a similar role)

So it’s about a guy who doesn’t run a school church anymore, and who isn’t interested in teaching any lessons because he’s a dairy farmer.

He only talks with like one person in the entire movie.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Episode 8 is really good

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Episode 8 is really good

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

I’ve seen this twice now and I’m confident in saying that there’s a large group of Star Wars fans out there who will simply never be pleased by a Star Wars movie again.

I like all the Star Wars movies and think this one is pretty bad.

Not because of the choices it makes for characters or whatever, because I am some degree of fine with or like most of those, but because it’s a pretty badly paced, clumsily plotted movie with way too much janky dialogue that condescends to the audience, hacky unnecessary fakeouts, underdeveloped and/or unnecessary characters, and a general lack of confidence in the themes it’s trying to convey. Most of the individual parts are pretty good but put together it’s kind of a mess. That there’s apparently 45 minutes of finished movie they’re going to put back into the blu-ray is mind boggling since the theatrical cut already feels like 35 minutes longer than it needed to be.

All that said, it was a fairly entertaining if deeply flawed movie that seems to sit worse the more gaslighting I read of people that didn’t like it as being alt-right brigadiers or butthurt redditor turbo-nerds or whatever.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

So what happened to all those pupils?

Oh yeah...probably best not to mention that huh.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When Luke said "laser sword" I immediately thought the director reads this thread .

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CODChimera posted:

So what happened to all those pupils?

Oh yeah...probably best not to mention that huh.

the chat was never about him being a great teacher, so idk what your point is here

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So its about a guy who doesnt run a school church anymore, and who isnt interested in teaching any lessons because hes a dairy farmer.

He only talks with like one person in the entire movie.

yoda only talks to one person in the OT, but he's still arguably an intellectual figure in the star wars world. He's not interested in teaching lessons any more because he's convinced that he was wrong to do so. Not because he's really into milking anteaters.

That should be enough for him wrt the one aspect of the post you quoted. you're basically doing what people who get strung up on the dice near the end are doing, but with a perspective you're not into rather than silly forum wars

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 17, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

I’ve seen this twice now and I’m confident in saying that there’s a large group of Star Wars fans out there who will simply never be pleased by a Star Wars movie again.

Ayup

If this one's not good enough for you, you should probably just stop watching Star Wars movies because you're always going to be disappointed.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

the chat was never about him being a great teacher, so idk what your point is here

yoda only talks to one person in the OT, but he's still arguably an intellectual figure in the star wars world. He's not interested in teaching lessons any more because he's convinced that he was wrong to do so. Not because he's really into milking anteaters.

That should be enough for him wrt the one aspect of the post you quoted. you're basically doing what people who get strung up on the dice near the end are doing, but with a perspective you're not into rather than silly forum wars

Is your perspective that being an intellectual requires only ever running a church?

are all priests intellectuals?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Is your perspective that being an intellectual requires only ever running a church?

are all priests intellectuals?

My perspective is that farmers can become intellectuals, and Luke takes up the role of being one of the representatives of old intellectuals in TLJ.

Not all priests are intellectuals, but there do exist intellectuals who are priests.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So do these CD threads tend to get better or worse as time goes on?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Much worse.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

My perspective is that farmers can become intellectuals, and Luke takes up the role of being one of the representatives of old intellectuals in TLJ.

Not all priests are intellectuals, but there do exist intellectuals who are priests.

You took away from his borderline contempt for Rey at first that he was positioning himself as some sort of great master? His "lessons" were almost ironic

What made you think he was an intellectual? He intended to burn his own books

CODChimera posted:

So do these CD threads tend to get better or worse as time goes on?

What do you mean by "better" and "worse"?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

You took away from his borderline contempt for Rey at first that he was positioning himself as some sort of great master? His "lessons" were almost ironic

What made you think he was an intellectual? He intended to burn his own books

What do you mean by "better" and "worse"?

He ends up being Rey's mentor unwillingly, and many of his lessons aren't intentional. He still takes up an intellectual role, even if he's a religious figure. If anything that strengthens the original posts' observation, in that the film covers old religious, military, and social elites and their friction with the new generation.

He intended to burn the books because he came to the conclusion that their existence would lead to more people pursuing the path of a jedi, which would in turn create more Rey's and Ren's. He also backs down from that stance.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Luke is in no way an intellectual. That is in fact counter to how he's characterized in all the movies.

While Luke certainly takes somewhat of a mentor role in TLJ (even then that's arguable since he's really bad at it) being a mentor doesn't inherently make you an intellectual. Hell being a teacher doesn't even necessarily mean you're an 'intellectual'.

Luke doesn't do anything in the film that could be defined as 'intellectual'. He doesn't go to Ahch-To in search of knowledge, he goes there because he knows he'll be nigh-impossible to find and be left alone. He's not hold up on that island in search of knowledge or to improve his intellect. He goes to literally shut himself off from the force to live a simple life til he dies. He says as much in the movie.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Very disappointed that a certain character wasn't played by Gregg Turkington. Almost walked out with my popcorn.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Episode 8 is really good

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

MagicCube posted:

Very disappointed that a certain character wasn't played by Gregg Turkington. Almost walked out with my popcorn.

Completely agreed. George Lucas really messed up on this one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean luke calls them laser swords and then efficiently summarizes the "Jedi are bad" argument from the prequels. I was so happy.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Count me among the people that loved this film. My favorite scene has to be Luke's Lesson One: Rey reaching out with her hand, Luke slapping it with the blade of grass leaf thing. And his explanation about the Force, how it's everywhere and binds everything, that for the Jedi to keep if for themselves was vanity.

Also hyperspace ram.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Episode 8 is really good

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Sometimes I wonder if one of the messages of this movie was a bit too heavy handed but then I see someone post that Finn should’ve sacrificed himself at the end and I realize that some people are really drat bad at watching movies.

Like, if you’ve got legitimate gripes, whatever. Even if I disagree at least you watched the movie. But when people just don’t pay attention to the movie and then bitch about it....ugh that annoys me.

How do you care enough to complain about a movie on a message board but don’t care enough to actually pay attention to the movie?

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
Sometimes we come out of a movie feeling unsatisfied and angry and just want to vent about it as soon as possible.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Sometimes I wonder if one of the messages of this movie was a bit too heavy handed but then I see someone post that Finn should’ve sacrificed himself at the end and I realize that some people are really drat bad at watching movies.

Like, if you’ve got legitimate gripes, whatever. Even if I disagree at least you watched the movie. But when people just don’t pay attention to the movie and then bitch about it....ugh that annoys me.

How do you care enough to complain about a movie on a message board but don’t care enough to actually pay attention to the movie?

Are you ok

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I liked that it leaned into the Jedi being lovely and had Laura Dern doing 9/11

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

That DICK! posted:

Are you ok

Yep.

You know what other “gripe” bothers me?

“Why didn’t Holdo tell Poe her plan?”

Did you miss the scene where he got dozens if not hundreds of people killed? Then he got demoted?

He’s lucky he’s not in prison.

So many people are like “why wasn’t this movie full of typical action movie tropes?” when the movie spends a lot of its time beating you over the head with “the old ways are dumb”.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I said come in! posted:

The Last Jedi is a pretty amazing movie. Sorry dorks.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You, a scruffy Nerf herder

Me, an intellectual

That's pretty much what is happening here and people are being serious about it. It's really loving gross and a childish dismissal of others opinions on the movie.

Like, you're (not you ABC) so loving cool for "getting" and "enjoying" TLJ. Grow up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vintersorg posted:

That's pretty much what is happening here and people are being serious about it. It's really loving gross and a childish dismissal of others opinions on the movie.

Like, you're (not you ABC) so loving cool for "getting" and "enjoying" TLJ. Grow up.

".... it's salt!"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PT6A posted:

".... it's salt!"

Yeah that line also owned. Movie was spectacular.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Yep.

Did you miss the scene where he got dozens if not hundreds of people killed? Then he got demoted?

So many people are like “why wasn’t this movie full of typical action movie tropes?” when the movie spends a lot of its time beating you over the head with “the old ways are dumb”.

Why do peoples 'gripes' bother you so much?

Did you miss the last movie where Poe saved everyone? Surely that earns him some trust. There's really just no reason to hide the plan from him except because that's what the plot needs.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

Your claim is that ex-guru and current dairy farmer Luke is an intellectual because he is ‘a representative’ of the offscreen people who are actually intellectuals (who?). In other words, you yourself say that Luke isn’t an intellectual.

Your vocal anti-intellectualism is based on the idea that intellectuals don’t communicate, when of course professional philosophers and such spend their lives writing books and giving lectures. What you mean is that they don’t communicate ‘successfully’ because they are ‘unrealistic’. What do you mean by this? Who qualifies as an intellectual, and which intellectuals have unrealistic ideas? All of them?

When you get specific, wrote that Luke resembles Slavoj Zizek, presumably because Luke has a beard. Luke doesn’t say anything about Hegelian dialectics, radical Christianity, communism, or Lacanian psychoanalysis. Luke stated beliefs in the film are some New Age sort of stuff about panpsychism. He says nothing Zizekian.

You also call him an elitist politician. He lives on a rock.

Your many obvious errors show that are engaged in deceit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mahoning posted:

Yep.

Well before he goes rogue, when she takes over control of the fleet from Leia, he asks her what the plan is and she tells him to mind his place. He only does it because he believes it's going to get everyone killed.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well before he goes rogue, when she takes over control of the fleet from Leia, he asks her what the plan is and she tells him to mind his place. He only does it because he believes it's going to get everyone killed.

Which is a pretty good lesson in what not to do if you're in command, since her failure to place faith in her subordinates also indirectly got a lot of people killed.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lol at convincing someone to water down 'priests are intellectuals'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Filthy Casual posted:

Which is a pretty good lesson in what not to do if you're in command, since her failure to place faith in her subordinates also indirectly got a lot of people killed.
It's a poor plot contrivance. They have to make this new leader seem kinda shady (for some reason), and the last thing you want to do in a desperate situation where the people under your command are deserting and losing faith is to just brush them off when they ask how they are going to get out of this situation that is not looking good.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Leia zipping through space is the dumbest thing in Star Wars

Kylo Ren shouldn't have smashed his cool helmet

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CODChimera posted:

Why do peoples 'gripes' bother you so much?

Did you miss the last movie where Poe saved everyone? Surely that earns him some trust. There's really just no reason to hide the plan from him except because that's what the plot needs.

But don't you get it? She's going to gloriously sacrifice herself in a played out surprise twist that isn't surprising because this movie is about "doing away with the old!" Except how most of this film is a just a lovely rehash of the older films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a poor plot contrivance. They have to make this new leader seem kinda shady (for some reason), and the last thing you want to do in a desperate situation where the people under your command are deserting and losing faith is to just brush them off when they ask how they are going to get out of this situation that is not looking good.

I kept waiting for a line that would explain that they couldn't tell anyone the plan under suspect there was a spy, given the First Orders ability to track them through hyperspace. From what I remember we only knew about the tracking functionality because Finn knew about it, and I'm not sure if he shared that knowledge to the admiral.