Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sindai posted:

To be fair their main purpose is to convince the rest of androidkind that humans still exist on the Moon.

Man, I keep forgetting that YorHa is only a small part of the android population. Does the game ever mention about how many androids are still around worldwide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

BioEnchanted posted:

Yoko Taro's philosophies in these game as a whole is very Victor Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame in that it's a nihilistic kind of optimism. It's like he's saying "We will all die, that is inevitable. Whether human, shade, android, whatever, all will perish, all will die meaningless unpleasant deaths in the service of some imagined irrelevant cause. But the Earth will keep living." Through thousands of years and 20 apocalypses the Earth still exists - it no longer turns, and humanity is dead 15 times over but the Earth itself still lives - life still thrives unflinching, nature will always subsume the ruins we left behind, and animals will move in and take shelter in whatever remains of our memories.

So Yoko Taro is basically the Japanese gaming equivalent of Dr. Ian Malcolm.
"Life... finds a way."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think "combat data" is one of those translation coloquialisms that makes it seem strange when it's not. If you replaced it with "field test" or "prototype testing" the western analogues become pretty clear, and it fits with the various uses.

"We need to test these new YoRHa units at their limits, so let's send them on a suicide mission."
"We need this station for PR and we can do debugging for the next iteration of androids. Once that's done we can benefit from destroying the lot for an extra bonus."
"I released the bioweapons on purpose, that way I can show off how effective they are and really increase the amount I can sell them for."

It does make me wonder, though, (DO NOT ANSWER THIS IF SPOILERS) who is doing this planning? Have the Machines been engineering everything to keep the Androids (and themselves) occupied?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The fact that the showrunners of Project Gestalt were already starting up a successor plan makes me think there's a really long running conspiracy that just hasn't shown up at all so far.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I'm just wondering who's going to be building the new model androids that the report mentioned. Because said report makes it clear that the humans aren't going to, since they're all dead, and this is so top secret that even the Commander didn't know about it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bruceski posted:

I think "combat data" is one of those translation coloquialisms that makes it seem strange when it's not. If you replaced it with "field test" or "prototype testing" the western analogues become pretty clear, and it fits with the various uses.

"We need to test these new YoRHa units at their limits, so let's send them on a suicide mission."
"We need this station for PR and we can do debugging for the next iteration of androids. Once that's done we can benefit from destroying the lot for an extra bonus."
"I released the bioweapons on purpose, that way I can show off how effective they are and really increase the amount I can sell them for."

It does make me wonder, though, (DO NOT ANSWER THIS IF SPOILERS) who is doing this planning? Have the Machines been engineering everything to keep the Androids (and themselves) occupied?

there does seem to be some sort of android high command, but at the very least it seems to be absurdly compromised, given that the machines have access to the highest(?) level of classified data

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, there are other android forces out there, we just haven't seen much of them except for the aircraft carrier that got eaten.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Now that we're finally up to this point I've really got to ask: what does Yoko Taro have against arms? It seems to come up a lot in his works, like to a frankly worrying degree.

From what we see of him nowadays, it's likely that Yoko Taro is a pair of disembodied arms living in symbiotic relationship with a shy mask-wearing double amputee.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Bruceski posted:

"combat data" is also a quick shorthand for showing the callousness of higher ups, corporations, andriod command, umbrella, the patriots etc. it's a trope, sure, but it was never the main point of yorha.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

The Dark Id posted:

Red Girls Official Art – Fun fact: All young girls in red dresses are huge assholes.
What the gently caress is wrong with their feet?! This isn't Fire Emblem Awakening! People have feet here!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shei-kun posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with their feet?! This isn't Fire Emblem Awakening! People have feet here!

Where we're going we won't need feet.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mazerunner posted:

there does seem to be some sort of android high command, but at the very least it seems to be absurdly compromised, given that the machines have access to the highest(?) level of classified data

Keep in mind that a copy of the document was inside the bunker for some inane reason. The Machine Network may have simply found it while rampaging through the backdoor.
Although it would not surprise me at all if android high command was actually in communications with the Network. What's a little treason on top of everything else after all?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Shei-kun posted:

Giddy up Motherfucker

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Giddy up Motherfucker

Okay, I'm going to be completely honest here.

The moment I saw this image I started laughing really hard and nearly scared my cat.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

GunnerJ posted:

It's kind of a ridiculous plan overall, like the whole part where they make a whole series of goth super combat droids just to kill them all later seems completely superfluous... except for that sweet, sweet combat data of course. Who actually started it all up though?

“When the time approaches to switch to new models.” That isn’t ominous at all. Where are these androids that are calling all the shots? Do these towers and resource collection units have to do with it? I get the feeling that we’re still lacking quite a bit of critical information.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Wait...so the machine network has kind of resurrected people with these conceptual human personalities? Maybe the androids were able to accomplish something similar and the whole android machine war is just a proxy war over who made the best recreation. Or a game between bored digital immortals.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Now that we're finally up to this point I've really got to ask: what does Yoko Taro have against arms? It seems to come up a lot in his works, like to a frankly worrying degree.

Maybe he just really likes Star Wars?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I love the visual language here in 9S's continued degradation. He's a matched pair for A2 by now.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Lost among all this existential exposition and emotional turmoil is the fact that 9S just beat the crap out of a bunch of flight units.

"Scanner models are not meant for combat" my rear end.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I think that was just his excuse for everything.

"9S, help me kill those guys." "Sorry, we scanner models aren't really built for that kinda stuff."
"9S, open those locked chests we keep finding." "Sorry, we scanner models aren't really built for that kinda stuff."
"9S, clean up your room!" "Sorry, we scanner models aren't really built for that kinda stuff."
"9S, stop chewing on those power cables." "Forry, we fcanner modelf aren't buildf for thaf kin-" *bzzt* *thud*

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

KamikazePotato posted:

Lost among all this existential exposition and emotional turmoil is the fact that 9S just beat the crap out of a bunch of flight units.

Maybe that's part of the combat data. "Wow, these things are actually pretty tough if you make them go insane first!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

I love the visual language here in 9S's continued degradation. He's a matched pair for A2 by now.

A2's been on the mend, comparatively. Sure, she's still a mostly naked murder-hobo, but she's calmed down a good deal, to the point where it's possible for her to not brutally murder a boss after the fight as its friends beg for its life.

(Only possible, sure. But hey. Baby steps.)

Meanwhile, 9S... is not in recovery.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

chiasaur11 posted:

Meanwhile, 9S... is not in recovery.

You can't stop getting worse until you hit bottom.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Every time 9S hits rock bottom, he falls right through.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Know Such Peace posted:

Every time 9S hits rock bottom, he falls right through.

:aaaaa::discourse::vince:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Shei-kun posted:

They're just weird high heels, man.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

KamikazePotato posted:

Suicidal murderlust is a great force multiplier.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Wait...so the machine network has kind of resurrected people with these conceptual human personalities? Maybe the androids were able to accomplish something similar and the whole android machine war is just a proxy war over who made the best recreation. Or a game between bored digital immortals.

They are attempting to recreate humanity by re-enacting a series of events that created humans before. It's an archaic protocol left over from some pre-war AIs.

Their new version is three times as effective as the original S3 Plan.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I"m with everyone else now in wondering what the deal is with whatever androids are calling the shots. Before all these memos I was assuming the Commander and others in the Bunker were directing the whole drat war. Now I don't know if there are other space stations or is everyone chilling on a base on the moon coming up with stupid sociopathic and wasteful plans out of boredom or what.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The game has stated several times already that android command is at least one level above the YoRHa Commander. These aren't the first documents mentioning that their contents are above her paygrade and shouldn't be shared with her.

...! fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 18, 2017

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Will this turn out to be closed loop to Drakengard I? With 2B's arm connected, 9S now becomes more badass, and hibernates after having his fill of oil. When he emerges, he's adopted by a noble family and named Caim?

So many possibilities!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

painedforever posted:

Will this turn out to be closed loop to Drakengard I? With 2B's arm connected, 9S now becomes more badass, and hibernates after having his fill of oil. When he emerges, he's adopted by a noble family and named Caim?

So many possibilities!

I think 9S will salvage more parts pretty much fully replacing himself with 2B stuff. Then he gets sent back in time, salvaged by the Android leaders, they base the YoRHa models off him and designate him A2.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Bruceski posted:

I think 9S will salvage more parts pretty much fully replacing himself with 2B stuff. Then he gets sent back in time, salvaged by the Android leaders, they base the YoRHa models off him and designate him A2.

No, no, no. See, A2 burns a zero into her head, gets infected with a parasitic flower, and then goes on an epic quest to kill her clones.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

painedforever posted:

No, no, no. See, A2 burns a zero into her head, gets infected with a parasitic flower, and then goes on an epic quest to kill her clones.

Y'know, I just looked it up, and I don't think Zero herself ever had a numeral on her head. Odd.

Then again, the others are all in Roman numerals, which lack a symbol for zero anyway.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On the plus side for 9S, now that he's got his girlfriends hand for himself, self-maintenance isn't self-maintenance anymore.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Josuke Higashikata posted:

On the plus side for 9S, now that he's got his girlfriends hand for himself, self-maintenance isn't self-maintenance anymore.

9S just wants to live a quiet life.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Pretty sure someone made something for just this situation...

Here we go!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
they say combat data but actually the bunker was a big bitcoin mining rig

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

Fun fact: All young girls in red dresses are huge assholes.

Man, Yukiko Amagi is going to be pissed.

Gotta give 9S props for being hardcore though. He's certainly a dab hand when it comes to self-maintenance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I feel like the 'Combat Data' term being thrown around as an excuse for all the lovely things YorHA did wouldn't be as noticeable if they just diversified the term. Like someone said, just make it 'field operations data' every now and then or whatever.

I would've given this a pass if your name was Yoshikage Kira instead of Josuke.

• Locked thread