Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cool, I'm just going to keep rolling them on 50s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Darksphere is also very good but I'm not sure if they ship outside the UK.

Darksphere are rumoured to be dodgy behind the scenes. They also charge exorbitant postage.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Darksphere are rumoured to be dodgy behind the scenes. They also charge exorbitant postage.

Well they give deep discounts, and I find their postage the most reliable of the stores I've ordered from, so I don't mind paying a slight premium.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!

xtothez posted:

Element Games are very reliable and will ship there.

Adding a vote for Element, they're my local FLGS and I've found them very reliable with friendly and helpful staff.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

If a worker there submits a complaint to ACAS regarding non-payment of minimum wage with a reasonable amount of detail, it will be investigated.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Triple Helix are another good one, 25% discount and shipping that isn't quite as bad as dark sphere.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Smegbot posted:

Adding a vote for Element, they're my local FLGS and I've found them very reliable with friendly and helpful staff.

Doh, they were mine too until a week ago. We could have hammed!

(Anyone in Brisbane, Australia still? :ohdear:)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
SRM admitting he hadn’t read Gaunt’s Ghosts was pretty criminal. It makes me reconsider joining the Badboyz.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

What’s the gossip about Dark Sphere? I hope I don’t have to put them on my boycott list.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I haven't been to a game store in years, like ever since third edition, and for all my recent purposes I've just been ordering things online

Are they still places you can just show up unannounced and slam hams

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I don't know what it is but there's just something about basilisk squadrons that make me want to murder someone.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

I haven't been to a game store in years, like ever since third edition, and for all my recent purposes I've just been ordering things online

Depends on the store and the day. I can get a game at my FLGS consistently on Saturdays unannounced, although it's a lot easier if I post on a local forum to make sure there will actually be someone there when I am.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
So in my effort to expand my Ork horde before the codex comes out (whenever that may be), I browsed ebay and managed to win me some old Ork Boyz. And by old, I mean 2nd Edition old. The sculpt is hilarious and I love it.

My only regret is I didn't realize how much smaller all the features were, and I have 19 of these suckers to paint now.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

The Jumpoff posted:

My only regret is I didn't realize how much smaller all the features were, and I have 19 of these suckers to paint now.

It'll be fine if you paint 'em up as weedy Bad Moons.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Hamshot posted:

It'll be fine if you paint 'em up as weedy Bad Moons.

I was actually thinking some Orkified Alpha Legion color scheme since they all look the same.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
That's a point, because they're all standing regiment-like you should paint them up as weedy Blood Axes. They even like green (camo) like Alpha Legion!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

SRM admitting he hadn’t read Gaunt’s Ghosts was pretty criminal. It makes me reconsider joining the Badboyz.

I read First and Only and it was super good, I just haven't gone back to the rest of the first omnibus yet.

Besides, real badboyz only read Ian Watson :smug:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I remembered I actually have the Deathwing book as it was mentioned on Fact or Fanfiction segment. But it's been a long long time since I read it and I dread rereading it now.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

I don't know about unannounced, but with very minimal effort on Facebook you can scrounge one up at my LGS. There are always at least two 40k games going on there at any time. I guess I have seen some success with people catching others at the end of one of their games and asking for a ham-slamming, but it surprises me because it's not like a card game - there's actual setup and a one to two hour time commitment involved in 40k.

P.S. adding "slam hams" into my wargaming phrase-book.

Also why the heck are Carnifexes sold out everywhere? :(

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Showed up to a tournament today and got fuckstomped by triple-10-man TH/SS Wulfen squad list 24-11 before I had to go home and take care of my wife who apparently had salmonella.

Besides that, I guess running combo gimmicks rather than a single dedicated strategy is tough. I was pushing 2 StoneCrushers and 2 Thornbacks with OOE, a Flyrant, a Broodlord with 20 stealers, some Warriors, some Rippers, and a GSC force of Acolyte and Aberrant minimum squads led by a Magus and Primus. The dude's list was built as a "gently caress you" to ITC bonus/secondary objectives, and just so happened to wreck big bugs and elite troops.

I have also really discovered the key weakness with Genestealer Cult (but applicable to any glass cannon assault forces): any squad is a single 2CP activation away from being merc'd right off the table before doing a lick of damage. T3 5+ has to strike first in all cases or it'll be a total waste of points. I've repeatedly run into this scenario:

Genestealer Cultist Conundrum posted:

1. Roll Cult Ambush
2. Maybe spend CP to get a decent result
3. Try to move into a decent position because of the 9" deployment rule, which can be tricky based on terrain and opponent deployment
4. Weather the storm of fire in Overwatch with aforementioned T3 5+
5. Roll charge, maybe blow CP to make it; probably make charge for unit, fail charge for character
6. Have opponent use intervention strategem to wipe remains of squad before they get to swing; character with squad gets wasted with them or shot off table next turn.
7. Hand your opponent first blood and/or killpoints for the low, low price of painstaking maneuvering, 150 points, and 1-2 Command points.

Especially galling is remembering an early 8th edition hype article that "warned" about using the intervention strategem when your opponent has enough CP to counter-spend against it or something like that, when there's no such rule now. It appears that I'll just have to stick with using my Cult as bigass globs, 12-man units in Goliaths, or other gimmicks, because I absolutely cannot stomach sending another squad to its death when I've spent all the effort to place them.

Alternate take: go 100% all-in on GSC and smash opposition with a gorillion Cult Ambush squads :getin:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Brother-Captain Daniel Craig is pretty ballin, the paintjob on his cloak alone is pretty crazy.

More

bij fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 18, 2017

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SRM posted:

I read First and Only and it was super good, I just haven't gone back to the rest of the first omnibus yet.

the gaunts ghosts books are so far in the past for me that they're kind of a blur, but i remember really liking Necropolis, where abnett does 'stalingrad, but a hive city'

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Potential BFF posted:

Brother-Captain Daniel Craig is pretty ballin, the paintjob on his cloak alone is pretty crazy.

More

:stare:

Holy gently caress. That's the most incredible model I've ever seen.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

:stare:

Holy gently caress. That's the most incredible model I've ever seen.

It's also massive

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

BJPaskoff posted:

P.S. adding "slam hams" into my wargaming phrase-book.

I said to a store-owner that I was gonna come back to "slam-hams". I was walking out so idk about his reaction.

Anyway, I'm struggling to squeeze out a 100pl Craftworld Brigade. What I don't own is in italics.

Warlock [SS] (40) -2
    Spirit Seer (45) -3
    Warlock (35) -2
    6x 5 Dire Avengers (360) -18
    Wraithguard [WC] (200) -11
    Wraithblades [WB] (175) -10
    5 Striking Scorpions [SC] (82) -4
    Warwalker [BL, SL] (80) -4
    2x Fire Prism [SS] (330) -18
    3x Swooping Hawks [HT, PS] (204) -9
    2x Wave Serpent [TSC/SC, SS, VE] (298) -18

1849/99

I'm not sure I like this, is the CP boost really worth it? THe Wave Serpents are for the Wraithboys.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's also massive

Yeah, I only half-shat myself once I saw it was 150mm.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The charge intervention strat can only be used AFTER the charging player has fought with one unit, so you’re at least guaranteed to get one charge unit fighting before the opponent can wipe one.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Played my first games of 8th today during a small, 8-person tournament. Two wins and a loss against Harlequins, Tyranids, and Death Guard. I ran:

Biel-Tan Battalion:
- Farseer (Faolchu's Wing, Executioner, Doom, Singing Spear)
- Warlock (Protect/Jinx)
- x6 Fire Dragons (Exarch, Firepike)
- 3x5 Dire Avengers (Exarch, Double-Shuriken)
- 2x7 Warp Spidres (Exarch, Double-Spinner)
- x2 Wave Serpents (Shuriken Cannon - 3)

Aliatoc Spearhead:
- Maugen Ra
- x5 Dire Avengers (Exarch)
- 2x5 Dark Reapers (Tempest Launcher - 1)
- Fire Prism
- Crimson Hunter Exarch
- Wave Serpent (Shuriken Cannon - 3)

Things I learned today:
Game One: Harlequins - Win
- Game is much faster (holy poo poo fast)
- Invulns are everywhere and they're pretty good
- Dark Reapers are amazing
- You can apparently multi-charge with a single model now

Game Two: Tyranids - Loss
- Redeploy stratagem loving rules (I put everything on one flank, then shifted them to the other corner of the board)
- Hive Tyrants are goddamn monsters and will single-handedly gently caress up your entire army
- The Fight Phase is incredibly powerful between the initial multi-charging, the pile-in, and the consolidate.
- Screens, screens, screens

Game Three: Death Guard - Win
- Farseers are really good, so are popping Serpent shields once a turn and using the Serpent Shield stratagem to do it twice
- I don't know, Dark Reapers are still amazing I guess.

I'm going to go their next tourney in January but I'm going to make a few changes - Shifting to two battalions for more CP and adding a unit of Rangers for screening, an additional unit of Dire Avengers, I'm going to add a unit of 5 Shining Spears and drop the Crimson Hunter Exarch, add a second Farseer but give him a bike, drop a Warp Spider squad, minimize the Fire Dragon squad, and swap out the remaining Warp Spider squad for a squad of Hawks.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Potential BFF posted:

More

Is it bad that the first thing i thought, looking at the picture before reading the text, that someone did a power armoured Putin?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Too much hair

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Irate Tree posted:

Is it bad that the first thing i thought, looking at the picture before reading the text, that someone did a power armoured Putin?

When that event happened, there was about a 50/50 split of Daniel Craig and Putin.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's also massive

Yeah my immediate reaction was that it was a big statue and not a "real" mini. That quality is still incredible, with the cape and all the detail, but it's not mind boggling once you realize it's like 6 inches tall.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Secured victory in a 1500 point annihilation game against new Dark Angels codex tonight with my Tyranids. Genestealers held down 2 HQs, a unit of Hellblasters, and a Landraider for a turn and a half, long enough for my Hive Tyrant to swoop in and melt everyone with Miasma Cannon and Smite. By that point my twin Screamer-Killers were almost in range of his core after eating some bikers and he conceded. Wish he used more strats since they literally never run out of CP now but he'd only just got his hands on it so we'll try again later.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Trying to write lists for a 1500pt, no named characters tournament at my local. Holy gently caress 1500 feels so restrictive in 8th.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
1200pts patrol only index only :shepicide:

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

DiHK posted:

I said to a store-owner that I was gonna come back to "slam-hams". I was walking out so idk about his reaction.

Anyway, I'm struggling to squeeze out a 100pl Craftworld Brigade. What I don't own is in italics.

Warlock [SS] (40) -2
    Spirit Seer (45) -3
    Warlock (35) -2
    6x 5 Dire Avengers (360) -18
    Wraithguard [WC] (200) -11
    Wraithblades [WB] (175) -10
    5 Striking Scorpions [SC] (82) -4
    Warwalker [BL, SL] (80) -4
    2x Fire Prism [SS] (330) -18
    3x Swooping Hawks [HT, PS] (204) -9
    2x Wave Serpent [TSC/SC, SS, VE] (298) -18

1849/99

I'm not sure I like this, is the CP boost really worth it? THe Wave Serpents are for the Wraithboys.

I’ve been finding that the answer is that yes the CP is totally worth it, but oddly it looks like it’s harder to pull off with power level than points, especially if you want to use wraith units. Looking at what you’ve got, I think you’ll be happier aiming for a battalion plus a one pointer.

You also definitely, definitely want a farseer, which swapping to that might let you take. Leaving home without a farseer is borderline objectively wrong, they’re that good.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Especially galling is remembering an early 8th edition hype article that "warned" about using the intervention strategem when your opponent has enough CP to counter-spend against it or something like that, when there's no such rule now. It appears that I'll just have to stick with using my Cult as bigass globs, 12-man units in Goliaths, or other gimmicks, because I absolutely cannot stomach sending another squad to its death when I've spent all the effort to place them.

Alternate take: go 100% all-in on GSC and smash opposition with a gorillion Cult Ambush squads :getin:

I'm still a noob at 40K, but wouldn't the GSC Psychic Power Mass Hypnosis be an effective counter to this? (WC 7. A visible unit within 18" can't Overwatch, Fights last even if it charges, and suffers -1 to hit)

I brought a GSC Supreme Command Detachment of 3 Magi last game and was able to nullify overwatch on all of his auto-hit weapons. It's insanely good.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

A picture from my game last night, a 2000pt Guard-off. These fatboys failed a charge and lost me the game.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Showed up to a tournament today and got fuckstomped by triple-10-man TH/SS Wulfen squad list 24-11 before I had to go home and take care of my wife who apparently had salmonella.

Besides that, I guess running combo gimmicks rather than a single dedicated strategy is tough. I was pushing 2 StoneCrushers and 2 Thornbacks with OOE, a Flyrant, a Broodlord with 20 stealers, some Warriors, some Rippers, and a GSC force of Acolyte and Aberrant minimum squads led by a Magus and Primus. The dude's list was built as a "gently caress you" to ITC bonus/secondary objectives, and just so happened to wreck big bugs and elite troops.

I have also really discovered the key weakness with Genestealer Cult (but applicable to any glass cannon assault forces): any squad is a single 2CP activation away from being merc'd right off the table before doing a lick of damage. T3 5+ has to strike first in all cases or it'll be a total waste of points. I've repeatedly run into this scenario:

quote:

Genestealer Cultist Conundrum posted:
1. Roll Cult Ambush
2. Maybe spend CP to get a decent result
3. Try to move into a decent position because of the 9" deployment rule, which can be tricky based on terrain and opponent deployment
4. Weather the storm of fire in Overwatch with aforementioned T3 5+
5. Roll charge, maybe blow CP to make it; probably make charge for unit, fail charge for character
6. Have opponent use intervention strategem to wipe remains of squad before they get to swing; character with squad gets wasted with them or shot off table next turn.
7. Hand your opponent first blood and/or killpoints for the low, low price of painstaking maneuvering, 150 points, and 1-2 Command points.

If your opponent is doing this repeatedly they are cheating. The 2CP 'strike next' stratagem can only be used _after_ you have attacked with a charging unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Yeah that person is super cheating, with the exception of that dark angels relic there's no way to fight before at least one charging unit has fought.