Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not saying it was a bad move. Twas an awesome finale and was glad to read about it.

Apologies if I sounded dickish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

First and foremost, :drat:
Secondly, :golfclap:
Third, is that new game set in Fallcrest you mentioned, is that the same group as well, or are there some changes to the party? Also, is it staying 5th Edition, or is it something else? (I only ask because it sounds like it may have already started).

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Clicking to see his posts in this thread should get you most of them. Nthing the :drat: reactions.

I have to ask - does your DM have any tips on building a world that rich? How did they start? Do they have any DMing tips in general? Because holy gently caress your stories have inspried me to start DMing again.

Piggybacking off of the mentions of DMing, something I've personally done and have recommended other friends and DMs of mine to do is to plan out what the world is doing if the PCs just end up being mindless goldfish in a bowl. By which, I mean have plot, NPCs, and other stuff going on in the background, and let the PCs choose what to latch on to and what to ignore.

One of my personal favorite tools for this is Page 10 of the D&D Companion Set Dungeon Masters's Guide, below.

These charts and percentages are the likelihood of such events happening over the course of a year for a domain currently being ruled by a PC. I personally use the chart as a quarterly check, instead of a yearly one, and apply the effects to the local area where the PCs are, and do so for about 3 years or so.

For example, one of the more interesting results I'd rolled up was a couple of major weather disasters (iirc Hurricane and Earthquake), a Fanatic Cult forming, and a Comet passing by all in the same quarter, with Insurrection and Usurpation immediately following the next quarter. Something like that easily lends itself to the locals seeing the weather and celestial happenings as a sign of displeasure from the gods, and a cult rises up to overthrow the blaspheming ruler and take control of the area. This kind of thing doesn't happen quickly (as evidenced by the fact that it took two rolls of the chart, or a half-year to occur), and thus if the PCs want to, they can find out about the budding cult, get themselves integrated within, and help turn out the unfit ruler. Or, as PCs are wont to do, find out about the budding cult, let the ruler in charge know about the plot against their rule (and possibly their life), and get the go-ahead to start cult-stomping.

The more effort you put into a world, the more rich it will become. I've had a DM who literally worked on a campaign world for about a year or so before the game even started, and I've had DMs who've thrown together a campaign in about an hour or two before the first session. The extra time and effort put into the campaign goes a lot farther than you'd think (though tbqh I think a year's preparation might be just a li~ittle too much, but I stuck around in that game for 6 years IRL anyway, so :shrug: ).

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aniodia posted:

Third, is that new game set in Fallcrest you mentioned, is that the same group as well, or are there some changes to the party? Also, is it staying 5th Edition, or is it something else? (I only ask because it sounds like it may have already started).

Piggybacking off of the mentions of DMing, something I've personally done and have recommended other friends and DMs of mine to do is to plan out what the world is doing if the PCs just end up being mindless goldfish in a bowl. By which, I mean have plot, NPCs, and other stuff going on in the background, and let the PCs choose what to latch on to and what to ignore.

One of my personal favorite tools for this is Page 10 of the D&D Companion Set Dungeon Masters's Guide, below.

These charts and percentages are the likelihood of such events happening over the course of a year for a domain currently being ruled by a PC. I personally use the chart as a quarterly check, instead of a yearly one, and apply the effects to the local area where the PCs are, and do so for about 3 years or so.

For example, one of the more interesting results I'd rolled up was a couple of major weather disasters (iirc Hurricane and Earthquake), a Fanatic Cult forming, and a Comet passing by all in the same quarter, with Insurrection and Usurpation immediately following the next quarter. Something like that easily lends itself to the locals seeing the weather and celestial happenings as a sign of displeasure from the gods, and a cult rises up to overthrow the blaspheming ruler and take control of the area. This kind of thing doesn't happen quickly (as evidenced by the fact that it took two rolls of the chart, or a half-year to occur), and thus if the PCs want to, they can find out about the budding cult, get themselves integrated within, and help turn out the unfit ruler. Or, as PCs are wont to do, find out about the budding cult, let the ruler in charge know about the plot against their rule (and possibly their life), and get the go-ahead to start cult-stomping.

The more effort you put into a world, the more rich it will become. I've had a DM who literally worked on a campaign world for about a year or so before the game even started, and I've had DMs who've thrown together a campaign in about an hour or two before the first session. The extra time and effort put into the campaign goes a lot farther than you'd think (though tbqh I think a year's preparation might be just a li~ittle too much, but I stuck around in that game for 6 years IRL anyway, so :shrug: ).

Holy poo poo this is really great. Thank you for sharing!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Aniodia posted:

So how does one roll on this table? The percentages add up to way more than 100% no matter how I parse them. Do you just pick enough to add to 100 or something?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Yawgmoth posted:

So how does one roll on this table? The percentages add up to way more than 100% no matter how I parse them. Do you just pick enough to add to 100 or something?

I read it as "Each of these events has this percent chance to occur every year."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ablative posted:

I read it as "Each of these events has this percent chance to occur every year."
That would make sense but holy poo poo is that a lot of rolling; the sort of thing I'd want to make a script for a bot to do for me or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yawgmoth posted:

That would make sense but holy poo poo is that a lot of rolling; the sort of thing I'd want to make a script for a bot to do for me or something.

Onward, though it’s not like you’re even rolling every session.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Aniodia posted:

And then sometimes a one off intended to test a couple homebrew character classes ends up spinning madly out of control into a multi-session campaign everybody liked....

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Also you only get 1d4 events a year, so you roll 1d4 to see how much weird poo poo happens that year, then roll on each until one succeeds, filling up a slot of weird poo poo for that year.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

You could divide each percentage chance by 24 (The number of items) and use the results for a d100 roll. It does mean rounding up a lot of stuff, but it makes more sense than whatever the current system is supposed to be.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Just FYI CobiWann, the Word doc I made of your Tanicus posts came out to 235 pages with 12 point font, with maybe 2-3 extra pages of line breaks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kavak posted:

You could divide each percentage chance by 24 (The number of items) and use the results for a d100 roll. It does mean rounding up a lot of stuff, but it makes more sense than whatever the current system is supposed to be.

The current model allows zero or more than one event to occur, which I don’t think is the case for what you’re describing.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kavak posted:

Just FYI CobiWann, the Word doc I made of your Tanicus posts came out to 235 pages with 12 point font, with maybe 2-3 extra pages of line breaks.

Could you post a link? I wanna read a novel.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

The current model allows zero or more than one event to occur, which I don’t think is the case for what you’re describing.

It says 1d4 events happen a year to a realm, so you just roll the d100 that many times.

Here's the Tanicus doc, a quarter megabyte. It's OpenOffice because I'm a cheap poor.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 18, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kavak posted:

It says 1d4 events happen a year to a realm, so you just roll the d100 that many times.

That can give you duplicates, does rerolling preserve the probabilities? I clearly need to look in more detail at the table again when I’m not on my phone.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

That can give you duplicates, does rerolling preserve the probabilities? I clearly need to look in more detail at the table again when I’m not on my phone.

A country can get more than one big-rear end storm a year.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Any bets this is when the maker finally figured out how to make Jump work, but he couldn't bother to go back and redo the previous sections to use it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kavak posted:

A country can get more than one big-rear end storm a year.

True! I am enlightened, thank you.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kavak posted:

Here's the Tanicus doc, a quarter megabyte. It's OpenOffice because I'm a cheap poor.

How the hell do I open this on my phone? I downloaded the Mega app, but it won't let me download or read the file.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Kavak posted:

I have wasted my life.

Edit - oh man, reading it over there are so many things I got wrong because I joined the campaign late and was going off of second hand mentions for past stuff. Have tempted to go back and edit, but when legend becomes fact...

Next campaign I’ll take better notes from the start.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 18, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

the_steve posted:

How the hell do I open this on my phone? I downloaded the Mega app, but it won't let me download or read the file.

I would do it on a computer. I've never tried to get anything off Mega on my phone.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kavak posted:

I would do it on a computer. I've never tried to get anything off Mega on my phone.

I'm out of town until after New Year's, my phone is my only internet until then.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I have wasted my life.

Edit - oh man, reading it over there are so many things I got wrong because I joined the campaign late and was going off of second hand mentions for past stuff. Have tempted to go back and edit, but when legend becomes fact...

Don't knock yourself, Cobi. What you've done here's inspired me to start doing write-ups for one of my groups - it's already become a big part of that game, and that's heavily on you.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah, considering it's part of the BECMI line, I'd love to find a webpage out there that someone already did this up and generates results with a simple button click. Alas, I'm fairly retarded when it comes to programming, or else I'd do it myself. As in, yes, I've hand-rolled the entire chart multiple times for a few different campaign ideas, because that's how we did it my days. :corsair:

unseenlibrarian posted:

Also you only get 1d4 events a year, so you roll 1d4 to see how much weird poo poo happens that year, then roll on each until one succeeds, filling up a slot of weird poo poo for that year.
With the dominion rules as written, sure, but I like to roll through the entire list each quarter-year (so 4 whole runs through per in-game year), just to see if there's anything neat that may come up to roll into the plot. As I mentioned in my first post, I do three in-game years from the get-go, so that gives me tons of background plot to work with while the players may be grinding their way up from being dirt-farmers into useful murderhobos.

CobiWann posted:

I have wasted my life.

You should print that out and give it to your DM for Christmas. Tell him that he's inspired a bunch of goons on here.

Speaking of, I'd just started a 5th Edition game myself the other week, though it was mostly just farting around last time, and we actually got to some plot this time around. The cast of idiots is:
:drac: - Myself, a Dhampir Warlock of the Undying patron (really just the Plane Shift Zendikar Vampire, refluffed as half-vampire because it's nowhere near as powerful as a real vamp)
:vd: - The player, affectionately(?) known as "Neckbeard", playing a Life Cleric Kobold of Bahamut.
:black101: - A friend of the DM's, playing a Dwarf Fighter named Beef Kurtis. Constantly gets called Beef Curtains for obvious reasons. Still a chill dude.
:catholic: - Another friend of the DM's, I'd played with him in a game once before, and seemed a little obnoxious. Aasimar Paladin of Vengeance.
:ninja: - Last player, childhood DM Friend and also knows :catholic: too. Cowardly as gently caress, but does decent enough damage. Halfling Rogue (Thief).

Oh yeah, even though none of us have really played much of 5th Ed, we're all starting at 10th level. :shrug:

So, through various shenanigans involving devoured corpses, druids, and mushroom men, we've managed to find a magical tower that may or may not have belonged to a witch we're also looking for, and may or may not be some Doctor Who reference I don't get. It basically allows us to travel between various realities at the cost of spell slots, which means since mine recover fairly quickly compared to the rest of the party's means I'm now the tower commander. However, this was not without incident, as we had to deal with clockwork protectors of the castle, as well as an animated pile of gold. This particular encounter kinda left half the table feeling lovely, which I'll detail a little later.

So anyway, we travel to another reality, Chrono Trigger our way out of this absolutely petrified dirt farmer's closet, and proceed to find out that the tower just dropped us off here, but it's really about a couple of miles through this barren farmland, on top of a nearby mountain. After realizing that our group appears human and followers of Pelor (to which I remark something about the Burning Hate, but no one listens), the dirt farmer has us help find her husband and son, who've headed towards the town and haven't been seen from in a while.

We make our way through the farms, noticing that the local water supply is not the clean, clear water it should be, but more like Mountain Dew green and actively caustic. Figuring this may be the cause of the issues, we press onward toward the local city. After a grueling battle with a couple of flying skull butterflies think like 4 of these fused into one, we hole up in an abandoned house for the night. At least, the rest of the party does (and finds out the zombies wandering the town are various townsfolk). I wander out into the city to try and find the child we're looking for (due to my innate Sanctuary vs. Undead due to, again, my Undying patron class ability, any undead looking to attack me needs to roll a 20 or better to do so). Instead, I find a ton of undead, a flaming knight, formerly of Pelor, and a crowd of frightened citizens. A Banishment later gets rid of the knight and a large bonehoard-looking thing, and attracts a lot of attention my way. We left off as I'm trying to run through the city and evade the undead long enough to keep the concentration on Banishment for the whole minute and see who, if any, decides to pop back into existence. The plan next session is to grab at least the one child we're looking for as a party and Dimension Door the hell away, but that might not be until after New Year's.

Going back to the gold-golem encounter, which was apparently a Hoard Golem from Kobold Press' Tome of Beasts, there were about three rounds where the golem was in a whirlwind form, and thus immune to slashing and piercing damage. Come to find out, that was the longest possible time that it could remain like that, and it was just luck the dice rolled that way. However, after it had collapsed into a solid form in the corner of the room we were fighting it in, and everyone else in the party had taken damage from that (I had Armor of Agathys up, and it just ate my temp HP), the paladin started throwing a hissy fit, as he still thought it was immune to damage, and ran out of the room and away from the party. Mind, Beef Curtains had his weapon and Bag of Holding grabbed by the golem and was reduced to less than half his HP, and was still fighting, shield-bashing the thing, while the paladin was the second-healthiest (after myself) and was told multiple times that the golem was taking damage as normal. It wasn't until the cleric used a Mass Cure Wounds that the paladin was still just in range for that he decided that "oh, well if the party wants me to come in, stand there and miss, then I guess that's what I'll do :sigh:" Only for the rest of the table to chew him out for being a little bitch that didn't pay attention the other three times the DM said "you can deal damage normally now".

Like, I can understand a tactical retreat to heal or cast spells or something, but the guy all but ran away, and had the cleric not healed that turn, probably would have. I dunno, it just bugs me that as a Warlock specifically going out of my way to be armorless (as Mage Armor at-will is a thing, I'm dapper as gently caress and it's gauche to go to social gatherings in battle-worn armor) that I'm just about as tanky as the Paladin, and yet he complains about being hurt while having multiple ways to heal, whether from his own pool or the cleric's.

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 18, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ugh. Is there any class worse to have a toxic player than a Paladin?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CobiWann posted:

Can't really think of one. All Paladin's I have been associated with luckily enough have been super in to being the front liners. Taking the Hits so the dudes like the Wizard don't have to. Though not my last session. Which was just my friends poor paladin getting screwed over by a beholder. The Ranger had been the only one dealing decent damage to the beholder so he almost suffered the same fate as your Varis.

Speaking of odd things happening with Paladin's I remember a funny story involving one. I was not there nor do I remember who this happened to but it was funny. Pretty much a party was walking through a town at night when a shambling shape started approaching them. Which lead the Paladin's player to shout "Zombie! You have to destroy the Head!" then cleaving the shambling figure's head. Which was quickly revealed to be just a drunk dude. Leading the party to get pissed at the Paladin for murdering some random guy in the street.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CobiWann posted:

Fun fact: for a time, I banned paladins from my game. This was back when I was on a pretty lovely Obsidian Portal knockoff that had a thin trickle of people coming in (and going out) so I had loads of people begging for me to run a game. Without fail some prick would come in and want to play a paladin, then give everyone the most amount of poo poo possible before getting the boot. I even had one guy go to the site owner and demand to be re-added to the game because he was "kicked out unfairly". :psyduck:

Man, thinking back on it there were a ton of weirdos there, and I mean that from the perspective of a goon. :v:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Yeah it can get pretty bad. I really like playing paladins if the GM isn’t the gotcha type, but the class has an awful lot of baggage that a player or GM can really abuse, and can mechanically screw players over pretty bad.

Barbarians can be tough with a toxic player, too, especially if the group wants to do less combat-focused stuff. But here comes Korg Pigsmasher, ready 2 fight or fart on the king.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
CobiWann, thank you for sharing this saga. It has been one wild ride, and I really enjoy following this thread.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

BadSamaritan posted:

Yeah it can get pretty bad. I really like playing paladins if the GM isn’t the gotcha type, but the class has an awful lot of baggage that a player or GM can really abuse, and can mechanically screw players over pretty bad.

Barbarians can be tough with a toxic player, too, especially if the group wants to do less combat-focused stuff. But here comes Korg Pigsmasher, ready 2 fight or fart on the king.

Trip Screamerson, half-orc barbarian, is only interested in four things things - tripping every enemy and hitting them when they try to get up, screaming at every enemy until they're intimidated and flee, bathing in the "communal baths" (usually fountains in the middle of town), and applying incense-scented body oils to his golden-tanned abs.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Korg Pigsmasher and Trip Screamerson can be a ton of fun to play, but sometimes need to chill their jets if they routinely screw over the players who wanted to talk their way out of this one for once.

Ain’t nothin’ worse than a rules lawyer powergaming wizard, though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BadSamaritan posted:

Korg Pigsmasher and Trip Screamerson can be a ton of fun to play, but sometimes need to chill their jets if they routinely screw over the players who wanted to talk their way out of this one for once.

Jesus Christ, yes.
We have a new player in our Scion game, and he's literally "I INTERRUPT THE CONVERSATION TO SHOOT AN ENERGY BLAST AT THE GUY YOU'RE TALKING TO, ALSO NOW I'M OUTSIDE SHAKING DOWN PASSERBY FOR MONEY, gently caress YO' CONVERSATION" type.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

the_steve posted:

Jesus Christ, yes.
We have a new player in our Scion game, and he's literally "I INTERRUPT THE CONVERSATION TO SHOOT AN ENERGY BLAST AT THE GUY YOU'RE TALKING TO, ALSO NOW I'M OUTSIDE SHAKING DOWN PASSERBY FOR MONEY, gently caress YO' CONVERSATION" type.
"No you don't. If you have a problem with that we can discuss it after the game."

Though I'm guilty of laser blasting the lex luther analog mid monologue in a supers game. And by "guilty of" I mean "perfectly justified in, that guy was a dick and building anti-me guns".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 18, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's a time and place for a player to cut short a monologue, but a player like that Scion guy I instantly pause the game the moment he pulls that stunt (and it upset the other players) to pull them aside to warn them not to do that poo poo.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Since people enjoyed my old 3.5x stories, here's another story from way back.

It's again hazy memory, since this was about 20 years ago. I know I was a barbarian I think Minotaur named Dume (or maybe I was an orc?). The campaign was the PCs were bandits, with one of the PCs the boss. At the beginning we find an abandoned cart caravan, so we take it, and try to sell it. We meet a guy who we go to a meeting to sell it. I think actually it was just me who was sent to negotiatie. Turns out he's a guardsman and I get arrested.

I consider breaking out with rage, but then realizing the chance of me breaking the bars was too high so I chilled. At the trial I offer to bring in the bandit boss, (dramatically pointing at the player across the table, "I'll bring in him!" though that makes no sense, I guess imagine I was pointing at a poster).

They let me go, and I'm at the front gate. Then another player, who's being played by my sister walks up, "Don't freak out, but I got caught, I offered to turn in the boss, but I think i can work you into this."
"What?" She runs. I have no way to find the boss, so I run too. I get narrative killed by invisible guards who were watching me.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

BadSamaritan posted:

Ain’t nothin’ worse than a rules lawyer powergaming wizard, though.

Intimidate is a social interaction skill, and can be used for hilarious results as a type of clumsy diplomacy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Robindaybird posted:

There's a time and place for a player to cut short a monologue, but a player like that Scion guy I instantly pause the game the moment he pulls that stunt (and it upset the other players) to pull them aside to warn them not to do that poo poo.

Problem there is that I'm pretty sure everything devolving into a shitstorm of chaos, violence and collateral damage plays into the endgame of what the DM wants for the campaign, so he let's it happen.
There are a bunch of instances where he puts Vex or Connie into situations where he knows they'll overreact and cause havoc because Vex is a panicky demigoddess of Death and Constantine is a pseudo-Exalt who thinks he's an a anime protagonist.

Stuff like the time Vex was attacked by the pissed off wraith of a child because she wasn't able to give it a piece of candy, it turned into some sort of super ghost and she dumped a bunch of Fate points into opening a gate to the Underworld to banish it, which the DM decided had the extra effect of killing off 1/3 of the population from the nearby city.

Our game has always been a chaotic cluster gently caress and I always joke that it's basically what would happen if you gave the cast of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia godlike powers, it's just getting irritating because interrupting me is one of my major buttons to begin with, but it's definitely magnified when it undermines my attempts to even play because 5 words into any conversation I try to have, and someone else runs off to a different scene and hijacks the plot for a good 30 minutes and sets half a dozen things into motion before I can even finish shaking someone's hand.

And yeah, I know I need to talk this over with the DM, bitching about it here helps me organize my thoughts though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

the_steve posted:

Jesus Christ, yes.

We had that once or twice back a long time ago, because my former DM liked to play subtle campaigns that weren't all combat, and we would deal with that in game in the same way that we would if it were all real: either abandon the dopey gently caress or outright slaughter him. After all, if someone like that legitimately blew your cover and/or put you in danger in a tense situation, you would do something about it.

I vaguely recall doing a campaign where we were looking for a kidnapped princess and were in a tight, tense confrontation with the local theives' guild where we were totally outmanned, outgunned and trying to avoid a hopeless fight while getting some information when some twit, whose face I remember but not his name, charged out from behind the party rogue, who was the face, and charged our contact point with the guild. We were all so surprised in real life that the DM let that reflect in the game, so we all had to roll for surprise with a huge penalty. Everyone on both sides failed the roll and was utterly gobsmacked apart from one of our priests, who cast Hold Person on The DipShit, followed shortly after by him being perforated with enough crossbow bolts that, had he had as many poking out of him as he had going into him, he would have made a dead ringer for a porcupine.

In defence of DipShit, I played with him in another game sometime later and he was tolerable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's not always something that's appropriate, but I don't think you should put a hard stop on interrupting conversations because your dialogue might not be as enrapturing as it seems and it may come off as railroading if the players realize that they could have stopped something if they had just put a bullet in the guy instead of letting him monologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not always something that's appropriate, but I don't think you should put a hard stop on interrupting conversations because your dialogue might not be as enrapturing as it seems and it may come off as railroading if the players realize that they could have stopped something if they had just put a bullet in the guy instead of letting him monologue.

there's a difference between interrupting a villain's monologue, and interrupting another player's attempt to do anything, the latter needs to addressed.

But I admit, I have a low tolerance for "and then I stab the king in the junk because I'm chaotic", especially if the tone is not meant to be Meatfist's and KaBoom's bogus journey. If the other players are trying to have a somewhat serious or grounded play, and one player is doing poo poo like that, that's a problem.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 19, 2017