Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ms Ley — who resigned a year ago amid a scandal involving her purchase of a property on the Gold Coast while on a taxpayer-funded work trip — is also in the mix for a return to Cabinet. Those supporting her return say she was a competent Cabinet minister has been exonerated of any wrongdoing and would help Mr Turnbull boost the number of women in his Cabinet team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

IIRC Abbott went "nah there's good debt and bad debt so it's all good bro" back when it was raised

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Remember how the coalition was going to return the budget to surplus and start reducing debt in their first budget or some dumb poo poo and no one in the media bothered following it up ever

Well there was so much chaos and uncertainty due to the budget crisis they inherited from labor

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Yeah but imagine how big it would be if Labor was in power!

:negative:

:negative:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

AbortRetryFail posted:

IIRC Abbott went "nah there's good debt and bad debt so it's all good bro" back when it was raised
Which is a valid point, except that the LNP did nothing at all with it except throw money at coal.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Good debt:
Paying rent on the industries you just privatised.
Paying corporations to start tax-free ventures.
Starting wars in places that smell funny.
Paying JSAs to not give people jobs.
Offshore concentration camps.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Skellybones posted:

Good debt:
Buying F-35s?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I just learned that they reused the same air supply system as the F-22 and it's still hosed so it sometimes asphyxiates the pilot lmao

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skellybones posted:

I just learned that they reused the same air supply system as the F-22 and it's still hosed so it sometimes asphyxiates the pilot lmao

There was also a news article the other day about how... Norway, I think? was pissed because it turned out the F-35 was sending all their confidential mission data back to the US and the US won't give them a way to stop it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
haha holy loving poo poo

quote:

Ginger Jiang sues after being forced to jump from burning Bankstown apartment

A young woman who was forced to jump from a burning building in Sydney's west is suing her landlord and body corporate in the Supreme Court, alleging her apartment had an increased risk of fire because it did not have sprinklers installed and was modified without council approval.

Yinou "Ginger" Jiang and her friend Pingkang "Connie" Zhang were inside a fifth-floor apartment at the West Terrace development in Bankstown on September 6, 2012, when a fire started on the balcony and quickly spread inside.

The pair became trapped in a bedroom and climbed onto the narrow window ledge outside, but the fire's heat was so unbearable they were forced to jump.

Ms Zhang – a promising pharmacy and nursing student – died, while Ms Jiang survived with "severe injuries" to her legs that require her to use a wheelchair.
Related Articles

Ms Jiang and her parents are now seeking damages, interest and costs in the Supreme Court, as are Ms Zhang's parents and the student's boyfriend Shengkai Li.

According to court documents, Ms Zhang phoned her boyfriend multiple times as the blaze consumed the apartment, but the calls were interrupted by poor reception. When Mr Li rushed home, he discovered she had died.

The families are suing the apartment's landlord, James Peng; the Property Investor Alliance, which allegedly told Mr Peng he could build another bedroom in the unit; and the company responsible for installing extinguishers in the building.

They are also suing the body corporate, the realty group that managed the building, the certifier who issued an occupancy certificate for the building and Silky Constructions, who built the apartments.

They allege fire risks at the apartment were "forseeable" and "not insignificant", and all defendants were under a duty to take precautions against the risk of harm.

In documents lodged with the Supreme Court, Ms Jiang and the other plaintiffs allege an extra room was added inside the apartment without appropriate or qualified advice, so it could be rented out to more people to make more money.

This added "additional fuel", made the unit "more of a fire risk", and allegedly made it harder to escape.

It is further alleged the builders modified the building's plans without council approval, to "shav[e] centimetres off the building's height" so it would be just shy of 25 metres tall, the threshold at which a sprinkler system must be installed.

It is alleged the defendants breached their duty of care by failing to install fire sprinklers, failing to ensure fire doors were working, and issuing the occupancy certificate for the building when it did not have sprinklers.

In court documents, Ms Jiang, Mr Li and the parents of both women say they suffered damage as a result of the fire.

Ms Jiang's parents suffered "injury, loss and damage" upon hearing of her injuries, while Ms Zhang's parents suffered "injury" and distress when they were told of their daughter's death.

In a statement of claim, Ms Zhang's mother says she suffers depression, anxiety, PTSD, nightmares and flashbacks as a result of what her daughter went through.

Ms Zhang attended the University of Sydney on a scholarship and would have completed her combined degree by the end of 2017 if she had not died, her parents said. She would then have been able to support them.

The claims are being defended on several counts, with the defendants denying some of the allegations against them, denying they had a duty of care, and saying the action should be "statute barred" because it has been brought more than three years after the fire.

The body corporate is also suing the apartment's builders and developers, seeking costs to rectify "defects" in the apartment block.

The matter will return to court next year.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/ginger-jiang-sues-after-being-forced-to-jump-from-burning-bankstown-apartment-20171215-h05p90.html

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Skellybones posted:

Good debt:

Don't forget giving 9 billion dollars to the RBA to make it look like the debt was worse under labor.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Don't forget giving 9 billion dollars to the RBA to make it look like the debt was worse under labor.
For extra irony, Hockey's rationale was structural issues in the US economy.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

MikeJF posted:

There was also a news article the other day about how... Norway, I think? was pissed because it turned out the F-35 was sending all their confidential mission data back to the US and the US won't give them a way to stop it.

Haha, for real?

Pretty satisfying that the military also has to deal with buying lovely software overloaded with spyware.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Can the government really make students pay back HECS earlier without the Senate?

45k is basically a casual job on full time hours.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Michaelia Cash possibly for attorney general, jesus.

Rule of law is over.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Can the government really make students pay back HECS earlier without the Senate?

no

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

haha holy loving poo poo
Ginger Jiang sues after being forced to jump from burning Bankstown apartment
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/ginger-jiang-sues-after-being-forced-to-jump-from-burning-bankstown-apartment-20171215-h05p90.html

The inquest was a few years ago and had some really scary stuff. The fire brigade and council first issued orders 2 years before the fire but nothing was done, even after the brigade discovered that there wasn't enough pressure at the hydrants while attending a fire in the basement.

The developer doesn't fare well in the report:
http://www.coroners.justice.nsw.gov.au/Documents/Zhang%20findings%2018%2009%2015%20FINAL.pdf

quote:

130. Problems with this building concerning fire safety were first identified in 2010. Yet despite the appearance of activity to address the issues, nothing substantial to make the building safer was done before 6 September 2012.

131. This was not only a systemic issue. During his evidence, Mr Ray Finianos admitted that developers should not make unauthorized alterations to their buildings after an occupation certificate is issued. Despite the fact that he and his father have been in the business of constructing residential towers for many years, Mr Finianos claimed that he did not know that, even on his own certifier’s understanding of the definition of an atrium, putting a roof over a ‘light well’ converted the structure into an atrium.

132. He also claimed that he would have complied with any directions for safety improvements that were made to his company. When Mr Finianos asserted this in his evidence, it appears that he had overlooked the fact that several such orders had been made over a lengthy period, none of which had resulted in any substantial improvements to the building by 6 September 2012.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Rule of law is over.
Combined with Dutton's new ministry, yes, I can't imagine Cash Me Outside caring too much about Home Affairs overstepping their bounds.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Actually 45k would be less than that depending what award it's on if you factor in loading into it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Michaelia Cash possibly for attorney general, jesus.

ABC is saying Christian Porter is up for that spot

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

You Am I posted:

ABC is saying Christian Porter is up for that spot

A meteoric rise for that arsehole.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/josh_jerga/status/942712352457109507

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ah good. Can't wait for the jailing of Centrelink recipients who contest government issued debts of questionable accuracy.

Also the outlawing of any opposition related groups.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

loving hell ABC24, twenty minutes ago they had IPA shill Georgina Downer in to discuss the news, now they’re gently lobbing in a bunch of softball questions for Matthias Cormann to knock out of the park.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-19/terrifying-last-moments-hindu-sikh-domestic-violence/9257808

loving hell these stories, what is going on with these religions?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Agreed, these primitive religions are as barbaric as their adherents, not like the moral lighthouse of Christianity

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Masculinity

Capt.Whorebags posted:

loving hell ABC24, twenty minutes ago they had IPA shill Georgina Downer in to discuss the news, now they’re gently lobbing in a bunch of softball questions for Matthias Cormann to knock out of the park.

Welcome to the News Corporisation of ABC thanks to Guthrie and her ex-News Corpse pals that she has hired.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

You Am I posted:

Masculinity

Welcome to the News Corporisation of ABC thanks to Guthrie and her ex-News Corpse pals that she has hired.

The best thing is that it hasn’t changed any of the dumb perception that the ABC is left leaning

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Weird that Uhlmann left. If he stayed we would have The Uhlmann Report at 7:30pm which is good because :shrek:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The best thing is that it hasn’t changed any of the dumb perception that the ABC is left leaning

despite articles popping up like this: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-18/greens-spend-150,000-dollars-on-media-monitoring/9268356

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Weird that Uhlmann left. If he stayed we would have The Uhlmann Report at 7:30pm which is good because :shrek:

https://twitter.com/mjrowland68/status/942870482113540096

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This would never happen on the superior morning show, ABC News Breakfast.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

This would never happen on the superior morning show, SBS Deutsche Welle English News.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sydney Police armed with Semi autos to stop terrorism apparently.

taking bets on how long it takes for a bystander/hostage to catch a bullet.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Laserface posted:

Sydney Police armed with Semi autos to stop terrorism apparently.

taking bets on how long it takes for a bystander/hostage to catch a bullet.

Lindt Cafe?

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Love to see our police becoming more like American cops. Can't wait until we start giving them old tanks and poo poo to play with. Really cool.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Starting to think I left the country at just the right time.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They need to give myki inspectors M4s.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

They need to give myki inspectors M4s.
What myki inspectors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Xenophon's SA Best gains stunning lead over Labor and Liberal: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-19/xenophons-sa-best-leading-newspolls-popularity-poll/9270690

How would the Feds cope with having a non big-two-party premier? Has this happened before in recent history?

• Locked thread