Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Steelers are incredibly dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NFL rigged so what

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The future refused to change

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Amy Pole Her posted:

He’s so bad holy hell

That last pick was magnificent.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You play to win the game

-dumbass big ben refusing to spike

Nov 6, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

You play to win the game

-dumbass big ben refusing to spike

It wasn't a bad idea to take a shot, but you throw a safe throw like a fade or something.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Or when you see that the Patriots aren’t asleep you throw it out of the back of the end zone, instead of stepping up, hesitating and trying to rifle it between 4 defenders.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

gently caress, this feels like the closest we've been.

https://twitter.com/yardsperpass/status/942553080008146948

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think I'm actually numb to the NFL giving the evil fucks games! It's just what I expect to happen.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

The catch rule is stupid, but it was pretty obviously called correctly there.

Also, the Steelers were still absolutely in that game - they were down by 3 at the 10 yard line.They had an almost guaranteed overtime if they hadn't bizarrely thrown the ball into extremely heavy coverage on a blown fake play.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 18, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rogue0071 posted:

The catch rule is stupid, but it was pretty obviously called correctly there.

Also, the Steelers were still absolutely in that game - they were down by 3 at the 10 yard line.They had an almost guaranteed overtime if they hadn't bizarrely thrown the ball into extremely heavy coverage on a blown fake play.

He's over the plane with the ball. That is a touchdown. This was almost as blatant a robbery as the ASJ call in the Jets game. That one was better for sheer comedy value since Riveron had to "spike the ball" by creating a fumble on a play where the ball never hit the ground to give the scumbags a win.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

If you're catching a ball and going to the ground you don't just have to cross the plane you also have to complete the catch to the ground. I would 10/10 agree that the rule creates dumb scenarios like this but that is how the rule works as written.

quote:

Item 1. Player Going to the Ground. A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 18, 2017

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Romo even called it before the ruling too. It's a dumb fuckin' rule and I won't be sad to see it go

Nov 6, 2002

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Romo even called it before the ruling too. It's a dumb fuckin' rule and I won't be sad to see it go

Romo is very familar with getting screwed by that rule.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

dolphins will lose to kc next week and then close out their pointless season by ruining the bills' playoff hopes because misery loves company and that's how we roll

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mulaney Power Move posted:

dolphins will lose to kc next week and then close out their pointless season by ruining the bills' playoff hopes because misery loves company and that's how we roll

Alternatively, we win out, ruin the Chiefs and Bills hopes whilst getting to 8-8, our spiritual destiny

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Mulaney Power Move posted:

no please don't

not like this

that's exactly the billsiest result so of coarse that's how it'll go

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

So where will Tyrod be quarterbacking next year, since lord knows the Bills despise him for whatever reason? Jets, Cardinals?

Backing up Brady? :haw:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

It wasn't a bad idea to take a shot, but you throw a safe throw like a fade or something.

By design you literally look for your shot, abs if at first glance it’s not there you throw it 10 yards above your head out of the end zone

You don’t triple pump then chuck it in the middle

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

By design you literally look for your shot, abs if at first glance it’s not there you throw it 10 yards above your head out of the end zone

You don’t triple pump then chuck it in the middle

Yeah, I finally looked at the play a bunch and no one else moves so the entire Pats secondary is around the guy:

https://twitter.com/DanLevyThinks/status/942550023228870658

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

3 of the 5 Jets wins come from current AFC playoff teams. That's dumb.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

mcmagic posted:

He's over the plane with the ball. That is a touchdown.

that's not the only criteria for it being a touchdown, but good to see you haven't read literally any rules since like 2005

you have to catch the ball before you can break the plane. falling down is part of the catch process whether you want to get mad and stomp your feet real hard or not. sorry you disagree with a lovely rule that was called correctly? lol we've spent all night talking about how dumb the rule is. it's still the current rule

nah
Mar 16, 2009

if the refs had any balls they'd call the lovely rules incorrectly. civil. disobedience.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
it's not like this call is revolutionary, even in the current decade of NFL football. remember Lee Evans getting the ball swatted out of his hands by Sterling Moore? they ruled that Evans didn't maintain possession throughout the catch despite the replay seemingly showing that his second foot touched the turf

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Turdsdown Tom posted:

it's not like this call is revolutionary, even in the current decade of NFL football. remember Lee Evans getting the ball swatted out of his hands by Sterling Moore? they ruled that Evans didn't maintain possession throughout the catch despite the replay seemingly showing that his second foot touched the turf

People genuinely can’t get past, myself included, the arbitrary goal line rules.

But yeah clearly not a catch as they describe it in the weekly anger. Big Ben lost that game

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Amy Pole Her posted:

People genuinely can’t get past, myself included, the arbitrary goal line rules.

But yeah clearly not a catch as they describe it in the weekly anger. Big Ben lost that game

yeah, bad rule, correctly applied here but bad rule.

honestly the whole nfl defense against changing the rules to make it a catch earlier of "but then there would be more fumbles!" is bad. so? that'd own, fumbles after a bomb would be hilarious swings instead of bullshit "well, its a catch in every sense of the word except the rulebook sense"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mo fumble mo betta

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Is there any reason you can't have the rule be that anytime you have control over the ball when it goes over the goal line it's a touchdown? Is there some weird scenario I'm not seeing where making that the rule produces some new kind of dumb poo poo instead of the current kind of dumb poo poo?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

No one is going to believe Pats fans saying the bad rule was called correctly so, as a Patriots hater, I'll echo that it was probably the "correct" call.

It doesn't matter that he crossed the plane because (according to the dumbass rule) he never had possession. If the receiver was in mid-air and crossed the plane with the ball in his hands but it was knocked out before he hit the ground, it also wouldn't be a touchdown because he never properly caught it in the first place. It's the same principle here.

The only point of contention, I think, is whether or not James contorting his body to stretch across the goal line is a "football move". I don't know if "football move" is actually defined in any formal way, but the precedent I've seen is that it generally translates to "takes a couple steps or holds onto it tight for at least two full seconds". The lunge was neither of these things.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Is there any reason you can't have the rule be that anytime you have control over the ball when it goes over the goal line it's a touchdown? Is there some weird scenario I'm not seeing where making that the rule produces some new kind of dumb poo poo instead of the current kind of dumb poo poo?

I think the only concern there would be things that are not a catch on the field are a catch at the goal line so you'd have some weirdness there. Not a reason not to do it though, but I think it's better to just fix the rule in general so if you have control of the ball for some amount of time (a second?), if it wiggles when you hit the ground it's a fumble and if its one of these tiny wiggles, then it looks like you recovered your own fumble.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheAdams_era/status/943288279084032000

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He probably deserved it over Reshad Jones but rookies generally dont get love their first year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

He probably deserved it over Reshad Jones but rookies generally dont get love their first year.

He said he didn't think he deserved it this year too.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

Based off what, exactly

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

Based off what, exactly

Well, Adams had fewer tackles, fewer passes defended, fewer interceptions, fewer fumbles recovered. Clearly better than Jones in every measurable way.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It makes SOOOOO much sense to re sign Sheldon Richardson since they won SOOOOO much when he was here...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bowles probably won't be fired this year but anyone who thinks he's a long term answer is nuts.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Aaaand Bowles just got a 2 year extension :cripes:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000899858/article/jets-extend-contracts-of-todd-bowles-mike-maccagnan

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

As long as woodys in the uk the team wont make moves id reckon. Lol

• Locked thread