Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

At $600 though it sounds like you have the absolute bare minimum insurance. Sucks to pay more, but you should up your coverage amount a bit, get collision and all that. Bare minimum coverage in BC doesn't cover much, and if something does happen, the bare minimum deductibles are pretty onerous.

I got the extras privately through an insurance company. Only fools take the most basic insurance. What's the minimum liability like 200k? You should get at LEAST a million, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Ensign Expendable posted:

Burlington is a hole with better Indian food.

Better Indian is always good. Is it too far out to commute to UTM?

wesleywillis posted:

Oakville is nice, but pricey. On the other hand, if you're moving across an ocean for a job, then it might pay pretty decent. Also pretty safe too.

I don't know how wages compare in Canada. The job is ~$62k, rising to $80k in 8 years. Is that decent? Compared to what I'm currently on it's a huge increase.

GeorginaSpica posted:

Well that's the thing, the temperature might be sub-zero at times but it's become that it tends to be warmer and it rains instead of snowing. So instead of the slightly sub-zero temperatures (in celsius) being fun with snow and sledding and skating, it is this miserable rainy crappy weather with no sun. Maybe that's what you already have? And if it's not that wet miserable, it could drop to those terrible cold temperatures but unless you are planning on taking transit, the cold won't be that much of an issue. Bundle up when going from warm indoor space to car and back. Dress properly and it's not a big deal unless one works outside or has to wait for a drat bus!

As to location, there are pockets of nicer places in all of the GTA but rent isn't cheap. But I think by hole, Ensign might have just been saying that about the general living conditions with dismal options for restaurants and fun stuff. And that's pretty much everywhere in the GTA. There are some nice older main streets that have shops and restaurants but for the most part in the suburbs, one is driving to a chain restaurant that's right next to the movie theatre cuz there's not much else to do apart from that and the odd street festival or such. To go to anything like theatre or concerts that are any good or sporting events (leafs, blue jays, TFC, Raptors) one generally has to go to Toronto. There is good theatre in Stratford and Niagara-on-the-Lake but that also requires a drive away from where you would be living. Not so good for having a pint with a friend and walking home....

That weather sounds exactly like what we have, dreary grey wet winters, possibly getting to zero and rarely snowing. If it does snow or freeze, everything grinds to a halt as we aren't used to it. You're right about the rental prices, I've had a look on Remax and Home Optima and they are akin to London prices, which are considered insane by the rest of the UK. In my city, a 2 bed flat in a nice area is £500 or so, which is ~$820. I can't find much under $1400 in Mississauga, Oakville or Burlington, am I looking at the wrong websites?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Lungboy posted:

I don't know how wages compare in Canada. The job is ~$62k, rising to $80k in 8 years. Is that decent? Compared to what I'm currently on it's a huge increase.

I'd say that's totally decent if you don't blow your money away. My husband made $65,000 5 years ago and is now up to $80,000, we've paid off our mortgage on an inner city fixer upper house, put me through university with no loans, and travel abroad at least once a year.

But a lot of people I know seem to think that they need a brand new McMansion in the distant suburbs as their starter home with two brand new vehicles every year or two, one being a jacked up pick up and the other an SUV, and tons of expensive toys and electronics so they get a 6 figure job in Fort Mac and end up saving nothing nor budgeting wisely. Then they get laid off when the cost of a barrel goes down and are left with jack poo poo and have to sell everything just to buy groceries.

So I guess it depends on who you ask.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

That weather sounds exactly like what we have, dreary grey wet winters, possibly getting to zero and rarely snowing. If it does snow or freeze, everything grinds to a halt as we aren't used to it. You're right about the rental prices, I've had a look on Remax and Home Optima and they are akin to London prices, which are considered insane by the rest of the UK. In my city, a 2 bed flat in a nice area is £500 or so, which is ~$820. I can't find much under $1400 in Mississauga, Oakville or Burlington, am I looking at the wrong websites?

Check kijiji.ca and Craigslist for rentals as well. The latter has gotten a bit crazy with scams in the last little while but that'll give you something more representative. You may find it more palatable to be a roommate for awhile.

But otherwise, that price doesn't sound that unreasonable to me. For <$900 in a city you're looking at the market in Halifax or Winnipeg or absolute shitholes in places where you'd actually want to live. I paid $165/month for a place in "downtown" Fredericton, for instance, that was both a shithole AND in a place where nobody would choose to live. My friend pays $1500 for his Etobicoke condo and it's pretty nice.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Lungboy posted:

Better Indian is always good. Is it too far out to commute to UTM?

-
I made about 65 k last year, and with a car thats paid off, I can afford a small 1 BR condo (owning not renting). Its not luxury accommodations, but its a lot better than the sleazy basement apartment that I was paying 650$ month for in Oakville.

So yeah, its not a bad wage for this area but you won't be buying an actual house anytime soon. Or even a townhouse. If you're cool with that then you needn't worry.
Beer is on the expensive side around here though. My local pub is 5.75$ for a bottle of cheap domestic piss.

Depending on where you live transit will probably be super lovely compared to what you're used to. But gas is cheap, so maybe you'll get a car anyway.
From where I live UTM is a straight shot down Dundas street.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Also, regarding the winters here.
This is what it breaks down to:

Winter of 2011/12: Pretty warm and not much snow

12/13: What I would consider a "normal" winter, some warm days, some cold, a bunch of snow, some melts etc....

13/14: Cold as gently caress, like multiple days of sub-loving ball freezing weather, with the odd not so bad days

14/15: See winter of 13/14

15/16: Pretty mild, with the odd dumping of snow here and there, but mostly melted within a week.

16/17: See winter of 15/16

Warmer winters seem to be getting more common but we still get really cold rear end motherfuckers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Eastern winters suck ballsacks, I'll take a few weeks of -40 interspersed with chinooks at +15, and plenty of sunshine, rather than endless, dreary, damp "hovering around 0" poo poo for 5 months.

EDIT: But on the other hand, if you're from the UK, you'll be very familiar with it with the exception that things will still run when it snows.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 20, 2017

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Isn't the Go Train worth considering if we're talking about the GTA? Is it reliable/affordable?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Isn't the Go Train worth considering if we're talking about the GTA? Is it reliable/affordable?

When I was new to living in the GTA, I asked a guy I worked with, who grew up in Toronto "what does the GO in GO train stand for"? His reply was "It doesn't stand for Good and On time".

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

It's the 30th anniversary of the Black Friday tornado.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3636017/black-friday-edmonton-marks-sombre-30-year-anniversary-of-deadly-tornado/

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

What are the biggest problems Canada is facing right now, apart from the real estate prices and fentanyl/carfentanyl epidemic?

I am currently in the Vancouver area with my gf as tourists, and last year I was here by myself (also went to Calgary) and we both loved the place and the people. I've heard about problems with racism, but had no problems so far (probably because we are both white, although I am darker skinned due to biking all year long under the sun).

We would like to move here, at least for a year and see if we can get comfortable enough to stay. We both bike and love the outdoors, we don't drink and don't go out much so night life is not that important.

I've read about traffic problems and that people don't know how to drive, but after driving a renta for a week I can say that if this is what Canadians think is bad driving, poo poo, you haven't been to South America.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

El Laucha posted:

What are the biggest problems Canada is facing right now, apart from the real estate prices and fentanyl/carfentanyl epidemic?

You mean apart from a huge chunk of BC being up in flames and/or covered in smoke? I don't really have an answer but I assume this is going to vary a lot based on region.

El Laucha posted:

I am currently in the Vancouver area with my gf as tourists, and last year I was here by myself (also went to Calgary) and we both loved the place and the people. I've heard about problems with racism, but had no problems so far (probably because we are both white, although I am darker skinned due to biking all year long under the sun).

Nobody was racist towards you because you aren't an indigenous person.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

You mean apart from a huge chunk of BC being up in flames and/or covered in smoke? I don't really have an answer but I assume this is going to vary a lot based on region.

Ah, by right now I mean 2015-2017, country wide. I know about the fires :(

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 8, 2017

GeorginaSpica
Oct 29, 2011
The biggest national problem right now? IMHO, that would be how the economy is going to survive what's going on in the US. Will the NFTA agreement renegotiations cause any real drop in sales in the areas Canada has the bigger stake - dairy, wine, softwood lumber? Will they change the crossborder duty limit? That doesn't sound like a big deal on the face of it but the more that is purchased duty free in the States means a loss of taxes here that help support our 'free' healthcare etc. Will we have to start trading more with other countries?

Racism issues vary across the country. Indigenous people appear to get treated worse out west but that might just be the stories that hit the news. I live in Toronto and while the city is certainly not racism free, it's one of the most multicultural cities in the world and at least based on what I can see as I wander the city and in my social circles, it's great to have friends from all backgrounds. It's not unusual to see a group out for dinner with a mix of people. There are complaints from some people on immigration but many people are in favour of allowing immigrants and refugees into the country.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

El Laucha posted:

I think internal migration is a huge issue that doesn't get too much play. This story does a good job of summarizing the maritimes, and this one for Quebec. Manitoba looks like it's starting to have a similar problem. That's about half the country by population right there, and I don't think it really covers the brain drain from the northern areas of everywhere. Like what does a gifted young person from Cape Breton/Gaspé/Attawapiskat/Prince Rupert do?

On its face, the numbers are kind of laughable. These aren't Chinese ghost cities, but I think it's a cultural problem that's really hard to predict. These regions are all part of the weird Canadian fabric and as the ambitious young people generally decide to leave, those regional identities suffer and I find it really worrying. It upsets me almost enough to move back to NS and accept a 50% pay cut :v:.

Edit: Also, Canadian academia is a shambles and maybe that's related somehow? Most of my best profs were U of T alumni if they stayed in Canadian universities, if not they were Harvard or Stanford or MIT or Oxford alumni. Maybe not one of the biggest problems, but I think about it a lot.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 8, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tuyop posted:

I think internal migration is a huge issue that doesn't get too much play. This story does a good job of summarizing the maritimes, and this one for Quebec. Manitoba looks like it's starting to have a similar problem. That's about half the country by population right there, and I don't think it really covers the brain drain from the northern areas of everywhere. Like what does a gifted young person from Cape Breton/Gaspé/Attawapiskat/Prince Rupert do?

On its face, the numbers are kind of laughable. These aren't Chinese ghost cities, but I think it's a cultural problem that's really hard to predict. These regions are all part of the weird Canadian fabric and as the ambitious young people generally decide to leave, those regional identities suffer and I find it really worrying. It upsets me almost enough to move back to NS and accept a 50% pay cut :v:.

I never really wanted to stay in my tiny island hometown for the rest of my life, but I really do wish I didn't have to live so far away from it (let alone move off the island). I'd move back to Corner Brook or St. John's in a heartbeat if I could get a secure job in those places. That might require a total career change at this point though. :sigh:

tuyop posted:

Edit: Also, Canadian academia is a shambles and maybe that's related somehow? Most of my best profs were U of T alumni if they stayed in Canadian universities, if not they were Harvard or Stanford or MIT or Oxford alumni. Maybe not one of the biggest problems, but I think about it a lot.

Can you expand on this? I didn't exactly spend a lot of time in academia so I have no idea about any of these issues.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Calgary is great if you're into outdoor recreation. Rockies culture and community is unlike anything I've seen. Our bike situation is okay, but slowly improving. Pick up truck and SUV drivers will always hate you with a fury even if you stick to pathways. Your mere existence is a blight on the planet according to them.

GeorginaSpica
Oct 29, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Our bike situation is okay, but slowly improving. Pick up truck and SUV drivers will always hate you with a fury even if you stick to pathways. Your mere existence is a blight on the planet according to them.

Bikes as in bicycles? When I was in Calgary, I rented a bicycle and rode mostly on the paths from downtown to Glenmore park around the reservoir and back. Whenever I was stopped at a side street attempting to cross the busier road, traffic stopped in both directions to let me cross. I didn't know what to make of it! That never ever ever happens in Toronto. I wondered if they were lining up to take me out! lol I waved and nodded thanks as I rode across.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GeorginaSpica posted:

Bikes as in bicycles? When I was in Calgary, I rented a bicycle and rode mostly on the paths from downtown to Glenmore park around the reservoir and back. Whenever I was stopped at a side street attempting to cross the busier road, traffic stopped in both directions to let me cross. I didn't know what to make of it! That never ever ever happens in Toronto. I wondered if they were lining up to take me out! lol I waved and nodded thanks as I rode across.

The problem is that the bike paths downtown were very poorly thought out and have caused a great deal of unpleasantness. There are two-way bike paths on one-way streets, which fucks everything up because all of a sudden, two-phase intersections are turned into three- or four-phase intersections. They should've just put them one-way on one-way streets, but they didn't want to remove a lane on multiple one-way streets unless they had to, so now we get to deal with this.

In a similar but apparently unrelated fuckup, they also decided that a major one-way avenue should become a two-way avenue, and it's just a horrible pain when you're driving, but even worse when you're walking, because now you have to deal with protected turns where you can't cross in either direction!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I've bicycle commuted a lot, even from Forest Lawn to Mt Royal University which is a 30km round trip, and I avoid streets as much as I can even if it makes the trip longer. I've had people actively try and run me over because they clearly didn't want to give me the right of way even though it was correct. 4 way stop, I stopped first, then truck, I start going, truck glares at me and goes anyway, driving right at me. I'm grateful our pathway network is half decent for long commutes, because I do not feel safe on roads.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Nessa I hope nobody you know was hurt in last night's terror attack and that it won't affect your progress with your webcomic dreamers, which I know many of us are excited for the next installment of.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Man I should’ve came to this thread before we took a trip to Vancouver. My wife and I are food tourists of a sort, and wherever we go we try to sample something we won’t find anywhere else. Only from reading this thread, it would seem we missed out on about the most Canadian thing you can do (Tim Hortons). We did manage to have breakfast at an A&W, which is unheard of in the states. I had a nice breakfast sandwich on a hamburger bun, and brought home some seasoning from there, which turned out to be nothing more than seasoning salt, but again, is unheard of in the states. We would like to come back there in May or June, as Vancouver in late November was downright wet and miserable. The wife enjoyed the shops in Gastown, a made it over to Canada Place and did the Flyover Canada, but the constant rain made kinda wrecked everything else, so we went back to Seattle. People in this thread say that BC residents have a PNW accent, but some people we some with had a decidedly British sounding accent. A friend of ours in Seattle said they were probably from Victoria. Does someone from Victoria actually sound that different?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fuckstick posted:

Man I should’ve came to this thread before we took a trip to Vancouver. My wife and I are food tourists of a sort, and wherever we go we try to sample something we won’t find anywhere else. Only from reading this thread, it would seem we missed out on about the most Canadian thing you can do (Tim Hortons). We did manage to have breakfast at an A&W, which is unheard of in the states. I had a nice breakfast sandwich on a hamburger bun, and brought home some seasoning from there, which turned out to be nothing more than seasoning salt, but again, is unheard of in the states. We would like to come back there in May or June, as Vancouver in late November was downright wet and miserable. The wife enjoyed the shops in Gastown, a made it over to Canada Place and did the Flyover Canada, but the constant rain made kinda wrecked everything else, so we went back to Seattle. People in this thread say that BC residents have a PNW accent, but some people we some with had a decidedly British sounding accent. A friend of ours in Seattle said they were probably from Victoria. Does someone from Victoria actually sound that different?

Unless they're actually english or not from the area, people in Victoria, Vancouver, Seattle all sound the same.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Fuckstick posted:

A&W started doing all day breakfasts a little while back to compete with McDonalds. I often grabbed a bacon n' egger at the mall for lunch while I was in school.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Nessa posted:

A&W started doing all day breakfasts a little while back to compete with McDonalds. I often grabbed a bacon n' egger at the mall for lunch while I was in school.

Upon further investigation I’ve learned that A&W Canada is a completely separate entity from the US company that spawned it. I suspected that was the reason for the different menu items and logo. I guess that means mission accomplished even though we didn’t visit Timmy’s. Those bacon and eggers are super good by the way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also I'm really sad at the idea of people who are food tourists going to lovely garbage fast food places. Vancouver has some amazing local food but it's not loving A&W or Tim Hortons.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

Also I'm really sad at the idea of people who are food tourists going to lovely garbage fast food places. Vancouver has some amazing local food but it's not loving A&W or Tim Hortons.

We did dine at a pretty nice restaurant downtown, but the food really wasn’t anything different from what we’ve had elsewhere. In Vancouver there are some great choices..but is Thai food truly “Canadian”?

Edit: Black Frog Eatery was pretty good so don’t be sad for us :discourse:

Fuckstick fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 18, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don’t know if there really is any Canadian cuisine as much as regional cuisines. I know in the East you’d be crazy not to have some lobster, solomon gundy, blueberry grunt, fried clams, fish and chips, or some kind of mussel dish. But that’s probably all stuff you can get in New England as well. I don’t know what Vancouver brings to the table, they’ve got good sushi? Which is Japanese.

Man, now I really want some loving fried clams.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tuyop posted:

I don’t know if there really is any Canadian cuisine as much as regional cuisines. I know in the East you’d be crazy not to have some lobster, solomon gundy, blueberry grunt, fried clams, fish and chips, or some kind of mussel dish. But that’s probably all stuff you can get in New England as well.

You forgot donairs and garlic fingers you uncultured swine! :argh:

Whenever people ask me about going to Newfoundland and trying the food I honestly don't know what to tell them. Newfie cuisine is what you get at nan's house. You can't just go to a restaurant and order it. Or, at least I don't think so.

tuyop posted:

I don't know what Vancouver brings to the table, they've got good sushi? Which is Japanese.

I'm not sure what "Vancouver cuisine" could even mean. There are quite a few Indian + East Asian fusion restaurants around that might fit that bill.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 18, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Vancouver has been a city for like a hundred years so there's no such thing as local food. If you want to eat like heritage Vancouverites you need to be eating like fleabitten Edwardian loggers.

BC grows a lot of apples and the local cultivars are tasty I guess.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Calgary invented ginger beef and Caesars so that's a thing.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Fuckstick posted:

People in this thread say that BC residents have a PNW accent, but some people we some with had a decidedly British sounding accent. A friend of ours in Seattle said they were probably from Victoria. Does someone from Victoria actually sound that different?

There's a neighbourhood in Victoria called 'Oak Bay', and it's an old-money, fancy part of town, and some people from there affect an upper class accent. Yes, it is quite obnoxious!

https://www.oakbaynews.com/news/uvic-prof-studies-victorias-british-accent/

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Veth posted:

Tell me about Canadian auto insurance rates. I've heard its real expensive compared to the US.

My comparison is paying $2000 US for full insurance in Seattle, on a Prius and a Highlander with two adults with no tickets or accidents.

Clean record, driving on my Class 5 (Alberta) for 16 years now with only 2 speeding tickets in that time and my insurance with Intact is $130/month.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure what "Vancouver cuisine" could even mean. There are quite a few Indian + East Asian fusion restaurants around that might fit that bill.

I had a really nice sort of Japanese/Canadian breakfast once in a little place that seemed very uniquely Vancouver

but mainly the best thing to eat there is sushi and sashimi

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The best thing to eat in Vancouver is the cost of moving to a better city.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Mak0rz posted:

Whenever people ask me about going to Newfoundland and trying the food I honestly don't know what to tell them. Newfie cuisine is what you get at nan's house. You can't just go to a restaurant and order it. Or, at least I don't think so.

Oh me lord dyin jaysus...

St. John's has some restaurants that do fancied up feeds with cod and bakeapples and stuff in a fancied up way HOWEVER if you go to a restaurant that isn't pizza/Chinese/subway anywhere else on the Island all you're going to get is 'home cooking'.

Soup just like your nan makes.
Jiggs dinner with pastry and gravy.
Pork chops, liver, moose (!) with veg and gravy.
Weird jello desserts.
Good pies with partridge berries and thick cream.
Fries with dressing (poultry stuffing) and gravy.
MESSES (fries with dressing, fried onions, fried hamburger, fried hot dog weiners, gravy. Sometimes cheese too)

AND depending on where you are, seal flipper pie.

I also want to add that 'newfie bread' is sold in Foodland and is almost as good as nan's bread (or homemade bread sold in random places) and is best toasted with butter and a thick layer of squashberry or partridge berry jam.

And the option for fried bologna instead of bacon or sausage with big breakfasts at restos/Irving Big Stops.

Mark0z, you going home for xmas? My parents are deceased but on Jan 1 we are taking my baby daughter to the island to meet her 92 year old great-nanny ❤ and my cousins and my aunts/uncles etc...we will eat like piggies while there. My Aunt has two loaves of sweet bread ready for me to take home too!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Spadoink posted:

Newfie scoffs

I guess I either haven't noticed or just forgot! We don't really have much outside of a Mary Brown's in my neck of the woods and whenever we'd take a trip to Corner Brook or St. John's or whatever we'd eat at more... exotic places instead (e.g. Jungle Jim's, East Side Mario's).

I don't miss Mario's at all but I sometimes crave JJ's $13 bottomless appetizers Wednesdays. They still do that?

Now that I think about it there's a little diner in the gas station on the TCH near Hampton junction that makes pretty good food. They also bake amazing pies! I hope they're still there.

Spadoink posted:

Mark0z, you going home for xmas? My parents are deceased but on Jan 1 we are taking my baby daughter to the island to meet her 92 year old great-nanny ❤ and my cousins and my aunts/uncles etc...we will eat like piggies while there. My Aunt has two loaves of sweet bread ready for me to take home too!

Nah. Heading to Calgary to visit the in-laws instead. I only get a week off work, which honestly isn't worth the time and money to visit the island all the way from Vancouver.

Nan always bakes a partridgeberry pie for me for Christmas. I'll be missing that again this year. I haven't been home since Christmas 2015 :sigh:

However last week I got a package of dried squids from dad :woop:! He only sent about a dozen so I'm trying real hard to make them last.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 19, 2017

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

I'm jealous I'll never get to feel nostalgia for the East Coast of Canada. It seems like such a magic place, and was first illuminated to me by Alistair Macleod's 'No Great Mischief' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Great_Mischief), which anyone who wants to dig into the region a bit more should consider reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwzRkjn86w

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I prefer The Boat for my East Coast self loathing nostalgia. :colbert: I’m actually reading it to my students now. They say it’s “lit” and I’ve been pausing the story to show them pictures of small NS towns to give them context. They can’t believe Hall’s Harbour is a place, haha.

Most of that weird Newfie food sounds loving amazing and I’m going to try to put stuffing on fries with gravy and cheddar soon. Holy poo poo.

My wife keeps on trying to get us to do a trip to Corner Brook where her family is from and I just can’t commit to the extra time and expense over, like, other places. Like we can spend $600 on a 2-3 day ski trip instead! Or $1000 and go to a tropical paradise for a week.

I think there’ll be some time home in my future though, father in law just got diagnosed with cancer back in Halifax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tuyop posted:

Most of that weird Newfie food sounds loving amazing and I’m going to try to put stuffing on fries with gravy and cheddar soon. Holy poo poo.

jesus christ it's called dressing

tuyop posted:

My wife keeps on trying to get us to do a trip to Corner Brook where her family is from and I just can’t commit to the extra time and expense over, like, other places. Like we can spend $600 on a 2-3 day ski trip instead! Or $1000 and go to a tropical paradise for a week.

It nearly costs me an entire month's of pay for us to do a round-trip flight to Newfoundland over Christmas. It's insane.

tuyop posted:

I think there’ll be some time home in my future though, father in law just got diagnosed with cancer back in Halifax.

poo poo that sucks dude :smith:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 19, 2017

• Locked thread