Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

UmOk posted:

When I saw it people literally started throwing rotten vegetables at the screen. I have no idea how they got that many rotten vegetables into the theater. About halfway through I shouted "when is this going to be over!?" and the entire theater started cheering. When the movie was over the entire audience went to the lobby and demanded their money back and then trashed the life sized cardboard cutout of Luuke Skywalker while screaming "NOT MY LUKE SKYWALKER!!"

And then a marine punched me in the face. That marine, was an atheist bear named Abraham Lincoln.

i wish i was at this showing rather than watching the last jedi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Is there an off-screen reason we've gotten not so much as a peep of Billy Dee Williams as Lando?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Unlike Rogue One, I was pleased to see all the cool looking poo poo from the trailers was in the movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dont even fink about it posted:

Is there an off-screen reason we've gotten not so much as a peep of Billy Dee Williams as Lando?

He's like 6000 years old.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

He's barely mobile, and that was based on seeing him on some dancing show a few years ago.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Dude. Billy Dee died in 1989 after having acid thrown on his face during a court appearance.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I hope they get at least a quick cameo with Lando in Episode IX. They've brought back Admiral Ackbar and Nein Nunb and apparently they asked Wedge to come back too. If he's mobile enough to get to the studio to voice his lines for Rebels and Battlefront 2 and go to interviews then I'm sure he's mobile enough to stand/sit in front of a green screen for about 5 minutes. Maybe he could be one of the Resistance's allies in the Outer Rim that they try to contact.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

He's barely mobile, and that was based on seeing him on some dancing show a few years ago.

lol if you think that was Mark Hamill doing the limbo.

I'm just worried I haven't uncovered the account of Billy being a jerk on set in 1980.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I wonder if Episode IX will have Luke as a ghost. Hamill seems to enjoy being Luke again, so it's not like a Harrison Ford situation, it's a thing established in the universe, and it would be a lot of fun for him to fulfill his final promise to Ren extremely literally and harass him from the afterlife as his conscience.

e: A criticism: The First Order/Resistance situation is even more confusing than TFA. Does the FO control the galaxy now? Like, TFA implied they were a regional power that only broke out when they launched the attack on the Republic, but this movie acts like they took over after that and puts them back in the same position as the Empire fighting the Rebels. Except an Empire that can only field one fleet.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 18, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

I wonder if Episode IX will have Luke as a ghost. Hamill seems to enjoy being Luke again, so it's not like a Harrison Ford situation, it's a thing established in the universe, and it would be a lot of fun for him to fulfill his final promise to Ren extremely literally and harass him from the afterlife as his conscience.

Not only that but doesnt he owe Rey one more lesson? I remember lesson one and two but no lesson three.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I saw it in IMAX 3D. The ticket lady handed my son and I Real D glasses. I asked if these were correct and she insisted they were. When the 'put on your glasses' sign came on screen everything was double vision. I booked it for the ticket area, hijacked the IMAX glasses rack and rolled it back to the theatre in time for hundreds of people pouring out with the wrong glasses.

I'm a loving hero.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Not only that but doesnt he owe Rey one more lesson? I remember lesson one and two but no lesson three.

he's the only Jedi she knows so it seems likely.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

gohmak posted:

I saw it in IMAX 3D. The ticket lady handed my son and I Real D glasses. I asked if these were correct and she insisted they were. When the 'put on you glasses' sign came on screen everything was double vision. I booked it for the ticket area, hijacked the IMAX glasses rack and rolled it back to the theatre in time for hundreds of people pouring out with the wrong glasses.

I'm a loving hero.

This is some delicious irony. You should've trusted the clerk, everyone knows singular acts of heroism are bad ideas.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mahoning posted:

Didn't think of that, but good point.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

That is the one thing I hope to see in Episode IX more than anything else. And call me a sentimental fool, but I'd also really love to see guest appearances by Anakin and/or Obi-Wan, having a reunion with Luke and/or appearing to talk to the new generation. We know Ewan would love to play that part again more than anything... don't know about Hayden, though.

As an aside: I also agree with the sentiment that it's a more interesting story if Rey really is her own person who came from nowhere and not Yet Another Skywalker. What I'm afraid will happen, and do not want to see, is that JJ will make her one by having Ben reveal that he was telling her a half-truth... just like his namesake. :v:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

This is some delicious irony. You should've trusted the clerk, everyone knows singular acts of heroism are bad ideas.

*Sticks finger in this post*

*Licks it*

It’s salt!

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

PurpleButterfly posted:

That is the one thing I hope to see in Episode IX more than anything else. And call me a sentimental fool, but I'd also really love to see guest appearances by Anakin and/or Obi-Wan, having a reunion with Luke and/or appearing to talk to the new generation. We know Ewan would love to play that part again more than anything... don't know about Hayden, though.

As an aside: I also agree with the sentiment that it's a more interesting story if Rey really is her own person who came from nowhere and not Yet Another Skywalker. What I'm afraid will happen, and do not want to see, is that JJ will make her one by having Ben reveal that he was telling her a half-truth... just like his namesake. :v:

One of the first thoughts the buddy I saw it with had was that the whole Rey coming from nothing thing was a lie. Make sense too considering the motivations behind that knowledge coming to light weren’t pure

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Milky Moor posted:

Yes, TLJ taught me that my actions cost hundreds from recieving free vouchers.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

First impressions of the score are that while Williams unfortunately didn't do anything new (that I noticed, there may have been some minor themes), it uses the TFA themes and other existing material to good effect. Rey's theme, Kylo's theme, and the March of the Resistance are used well throughout, Leia's theme and the Jedi Steps get some nice moments, and the biggest surprise was Luke and Leia's theme. I'm listening to it by itself now, so we'll see how it stacks up.

E: I lied about the new stuff being unmemorable, I just reached the Canto Bight track and it owns.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 18, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ramadu posted:

when i got home it was at 78% and now its 58%

i am genuinely stunned that anyone thought it was great and im wondering if everyone who liked it has brain worms or something

i am haave bwain wurms

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I really liked Last Jedi. It's minty core was everything that ever made the franchise great, but it wasn't afraid to be a modern movie.

I see a lot of people saying they Marvel'd It Up, and I can understand that sentiment and might even agree with it. Considering people said Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be this generations Star Wars I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit unhappy to see Star Wars taking cues from Guardians. That being said, I don't think any of the Jokey Jokes were dealbreakers. Its not like Threepio Screaming Through The Asteroid Field never happened, and it's not like Obi Wan wasn't a one-liner machine in the prequels. I actually really loved the "Wrong number," bit in the opening that seems so contentious.

The subversion of expectations really started with that joke. The Evil Admiral gives his big Nazi Speech, and our modern Star Wars character fucks with him. Then he falls for it because he was expecting a more traditional defiant speech response, and he literally can't wrap his head around being hosed with. From then forward, the movie was constantly toying with what seemed like SHOULD happen, but always giving us an alternative to the expected that felt like it fit and was right for a Star Wars decades removed from the original. It wasn't afraid to take a hard look at what people think a hero is all about, and say "That thing you think is a hero is plenty flawed, and maybe this alternative is a hero too."

Which brings us to Luke. The first thing I read when I got online after the movie was how this movie spat on Luke and his legacy, and I wondered if people even watched the same movie as I did. Luke's journey through this movie and Rey's part in it was some of the best Star Wars story I've ever seen. His throwing of the lightsaber that had been such a central focus of TFA away like it was nothing, his being unmoved by the news of Han and the Order's push toward galactic dominance, his efforts to push Rey away with a very Yoda-like display of disinterest and obfuscation, it all sets up the burning question of what could have pushed Luke this far? Finally, R2 seemingly brings him to his senses with that low blow of the New Hope message, only for him to say he's only going to teach Rey why the Jedi need to die. His lessons ring so true: The Light exists with or without the Jedi, and it's arrogant to think they or he specifically is needed. The Jedi themselves are deeply flawed, so why look to them instead of finding a new path? But in the end its all a lie he's told himself to cover his shame: that one moment where he, as flawed a hero as he ever was, reacts on instinct and considers killing Ben Solo to solve the problem of evil. Rey speaks as the audience surrogate through all of this, reassuring Luke that his heroism mattered and that the Jedi are good and he is needed... but as she does, she goes through her own journey, a dark path through her inadequacies and doubts and desires urged on by Kylo Ren and her own twisted relationship with him. These two journeys dovetail as Rey comes to her "revelation," that Kylo can be turned back, and Luke refuses her final call to rise up. As Rey speeds off to her confrontation with Kylo and Snoke, Luke reaches his final breaking point and goes to destroy the Jedi tomes... only to stop because the weight of everything is still paralyzing him. Which is when Yoda ghosts in and does it for him! We have a fantastic exchange, showing that Luke has never really fixed that fatal flaw of being unable to live in the moment, always worried more about the future (or the past) than what was right in front of him, and that this is the true source of his despair. In the present, there is hope, and it needs his help if he's just willing to free himself of his self-imposed burdens and take up the burdens of a galaxy in need. Just like he always did. And of course, he does. His confrontation with Kylo is so emotional, so visceral, and every word resonates right down to 'See you around, kid.' Just like Obi-Wan before him, Luke did what he needed to do, said what he needed to say, and passed on the torch in brilliant fashion.

Underneath the potential nitpicks, the pacing problems, the LORE BREAKING and everything else people are shouting about, that beating heart of space opera and emotion is more full of life in this movie than I could have hoped for. Even in the subplots people are calling dead-end, the themes are strong, the characters learn, and adventure is the word of the day. This was a big step forward from TFA, and I can't wait for the grand finale.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

First impressions of the score are that while Williams unfortunately didn't do anything new (that I noticed, there may have been some minor themes), it uses the TFA themes and other existing material to good effect. Rey's theme, Kylo's theme, and the March of the Resistance are used well throughout, Leia's theme and the Jedi Steps get some nice moments, and the biggest surprise was Luke and Leia's theme. I'm listening to it by itself now, so we'll see how it stacks up.

E: I lied about the new stuff being unmemorable, I just reached the Canto Bight track and it owns.

I quite like what I think is Rose’s theme, which shows up on ’Fun With Finn and Rose’, ‘Canto Bight’ and ‘The Fathiers’. Overall I think the soundtrack this time round was a pretty big improvement.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
I'd love to know if the Imperial Ironing Board shot was a nod to Hardware Wars.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm glad we got a bit of jizz in this movie.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mahoning posted:

Unlike Rogue One, I was pleased to see all the cool looking poo poo from the trailers was in the movie.

Question: Am I mistaken, or was there footage of Rey running with a lightsaber on salt planet that wasn't in the film?

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

*snert* That's what I thought of the Canto Bight music, too. Cantina Band II: Steel Pan Boogaloo. I liked it, but you could hear the callback.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

hiddenriverninja posted:

Question: Am I mistaken, or was there footage of Rey running with a lightsaber on salt planet that wasn't in the film?

You must have been because the lightsaber got destroyed before the Crait battle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

hiddenriverninja posted:

You're not. That was in the first teaser, but not in the film. Not really a spoiler since it was in the teaser. Timestamped it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ&t=87s

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

trash person posted:

This is such an old man ‘Dang kids get off my lawn!!’ thought.

I’m sorry but I just keep imagining someone sitting in a hugely popular movie on opening night, something awesome happening, and you just sitting there grumbling while everyone else in the theater experiences a shared moment of positive emotion

It's just a short throw from people yelling to/talking to the characters in the film, or being proud of themselves for guessing the quip before the character says it. Yeah, I'd like my neighbors in a theater to shut up.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
https://twitter.com/MrMattJay/status/942599119834460160

I have to share this

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

cargohills posted:

I quite like what I think is Rose’s theme, which shows up on ’Fun With Finn and Rose’, ‘Canto Bight’ and ‘The Fathiers’. Overall I think the soundtrack this time round was a pretty big improvement.
Yeah, I'm recognizing that one in the soundtrack now (didn't catch it in the film), and it's nice.

Remote User posted:

I'd love to know if the Imperial Ironing Board shot was a nod to Hardware Wars.
Johnson confirmed it was. That was probably one of my favorite gags, especially since I was just thinking before "That ship looks like a steam iron." :haw:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

:same: :yeah:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ramadu posted:

when i got home it was at 78% and now its 58%

i am genuinely stunned that anyone thought it was great and im wondering if everyone who liked it has brain worms or something

It was fine and who gives a poo poo because star wars movies have always been throwaway entertainment.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Just got back from it, and it's way better than I thought it was going to be. The visuals are loving insane. The acting of Rey, Luke, Kylo, and Del Toro were superb. Thank god it's not a remake of ESB like TFA was of ANH.

-Snoke's CGI looked really good. I liked his throne room, too.
-Snoke dying half way through the film AND by Kylo was a very pleasant surprise. Props to Disney (I know :barf:) for actually taking a risk there.
-The hyperdrive through Snoke's ship will easily be one of the most memorable parts of the film.
-I really enjoyed the conversations between Kylo and Rey through the Force. I didn't know where it was going and how it was going to end.
-Porgs weren't as insufferable as I thought they were going to be.
-The planet Finn and the Asian girl were on full of rich galaxy gangsters was great. We should have more proletariat vs. bourgeois subtext in a Star Wars movies.
-Luke dying was good, and necessary for passing the baton.
-Kylo telling Rey to forget the Jedi, the Sith, the First Order, etc. was my favorite part of the movie.

My main issue with the film was the overabundance of slapstick and self-aware humor. I know this is Disney, but goddamn, please tone it down in the next one.

I give it a solid 8/10. It's my favorite aside from the OT, and it's infinitely better than Rogue One and those dogshit prequels.

Gatts posted:

I prefer the prequels to the original series.

I'm sorry.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

There was a shot you describe. It was on Ach-to.

There were a lot of consistent rumors during production that Adam Driver and a bunch of other actors in black were on the Ach-To set. This person also first talked about the 'force sloth' and even provided a blurry image, from what I recall seeing. Seems like there may have been an intention for some kind of showdown on Ach-To or something at some point. It might also be completely false because it sounds like a substantial deviation from the film as we see it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Milky Moor posted:

There was a shot you describe. It was on Ach-to.

There were a lot of consistent rumors during production that Adam Driver and a bunch of other actors in black were on the Ach-To set. This person also first talked about the 'force sloth' and even provided a blurry image, from what I recall seeing. Seems like there may have been an intention for some kind of showdown on Ach-To or something at some point. It might also be completely false because it sounds like a substantial deviation from the film as we see it.

Driver was on the Ach-to set in the final film, when he appeared in the hut with Rey. So that might be the source of those rumors. Maybe the others were part of the flashbacks of Kylo's backstory.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

viral spiral posted:

Thank god it's not a remake of ESB like TFA was of ANH.

TLJ is a remix of ESB and ROTJ.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

teagone posted:

TLJ is a remix of ESB and ROTJ.

You pompous fool. It's clearly a remake of Battlestar Galactica's "33 Minutes."

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You also call him an elitist politician. He lives on a rock.

Hahaha loving hell I love you SMG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

viral spiral posted:

Thank god it's not a remake of ESB like TFA was of ANH.

tto quote an earlier poster who i cant find again

quote:

After defeating the enemy superweapon in the previous film, the rebel forces are discovered and forced to retreat from their hidden base, and after an extended escape sequence are forced to rely on a shady gambler who eventually betrays them. Meanwhile, the protagonist trains with an older mentor on a remote planet, learning more about the nature of the force. The protagonist eventually leaves to confront the evil leader's apprentice, and comes to a revelation about their family in the process.

come the gently caress on dude