Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

raverrn posted:

It looks like strikes are now a template the raider can place on the battlefield, so we'll see how it goes.

Also at least some of them are reloadable like a regular weapon, here's someone playing raider on L4 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T01BNP771GY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fritz posted:

Also at least some of them are reloadable like a regular weapon, here's someone playing raider on L4 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T01BNP771GY

yessssssss :getin:

The absolute best part of Invaders from Planet Space on Vita was 150mm Cannons having a three-second reload instead of point-buy. Darogas and Deroys weren't poo poo.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
So right now there's either a glitch or a WD engine that straight up allows infinite air time while still firing the big plasma launcher. I was told to YT it for instructions, anyone know anything?

Another thing that's new is all classes except fencer can no longer carry 2 of the same weapon, no more dual Lysander Z loadouts.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Decoys are going to be a valuable tool to break aggro. I know I will use them all the time, as Air Raiders have another weapon slot and Limpets are terrible.
That sucks I can't dual Anju.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

fritz posted:

:smith:

This looks horribly awkward and it takes him an absolute eternity to build up the points to summon one lovely Nyx that appears to be on track to piss out its entire ammo supply in 20 seconds of fighting. The Satellite Blaster looks like it's still on point buy as well, with the lovely mundane barrages(well, more like single shots) being on standard reload.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Your weapons reload when you are driving and turrets automatically reload as well.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I vastly prefer the new air raider when you can do stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AYdBvgmrGo

Vehicles do take a long time load which sucks rear end but being able to actually defend yourself when out of them is a fair trade.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
If you can still drop air strikes on your buddies and claim it was an accident for the 17th time that mission then Air Raider is still the best class

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Those big red target markers in Marogareh's video actually appear for non-Air Raiders as well, so if you fail to get out of harm's way in time it's your own drat fault, I say :colbert:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I broke down and bought it :negative:. Shipped to the US from amazon.jp its only $66 which is a steal compared to Play-Asia's usual markup.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Tell us how the DLC is.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eaB852AG6M
Found the proper use of decoys.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
I don't know whether to thank or scold the devs for fixing the Titan's main gun. It looks actually usable now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does it shatter buildings near the tank when it fires?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does EDF5 still have restrictive weapon requirements for its levels?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does EDF5 still have restrictive weapon requirements for its levels?
You mean weapon level restrictions in multiplayer? If so, yes.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So, uh... finally got around to EDF 4.1... been holding off on playing the Fencer until recently, just because "yadda yadda advanced players" and uh, holy poo poo, they were not kidding. I figured Level 11, "Air Force" is a pretty good mission for getting my not-as-leveled classes off the ground (Air Raider was comically easy with a few Close Air Support call-ins from the gunship; didn't even really need the off-screen NPC help). But trying to play it as Fencer was like pounding nails into my dick; died *at least* 5 times, and by the time I came back with weapons decent enough to beat it, everything it dropped weren't even upgrades. :mad:

And just now I died within sight of the last spider-spawning tunnel on 15, because Spiders are apparently just absolute dicks if you can't kill them fast enough, because you sure as hell aren't gonna be disengaging after you get webbed.

So I read the tip in the OP about Ion Shield dashing, I'll try that next I guess, but... any tips on playing Fencer without wanting to kill yourself? Before the sequel comes out, I mean?
Somewhere good I could grind him up a bit without having to fear near-instant death the first time I get stuck on invisible floor geometry (Air Force, I'm looking at you) :argh:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Air Raider: who needs speed when you can drop EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ghost of Starman posted:

So, uh... finally got around to EDF 4.1... been holding off on playing the Fencer until recently, just because "yadda yadda advanced players" and uh, holy poo poo, they were not kidding. I figured Level 11, "Air Force" is a pretty good mission for getting my not-as-leveled classes off the ground (Air Raider was comically easy with a few Close Air Support call-ins from the gunship; didn't even really need the off-screen NPC help). But trying to play it as Fencer was like pounding nails into my dick; died *at least* 5 times, and by the time I came back with weapons decent enough to beat it, everything it dropped weren't even upgrades. :mad:

And just now I died within sight of the last spider-spawning tunnel on 15, because Spiders are apparently just absolute dicks if you can't kill them fast enough, because you sure as hell aren't gonna be disengaging after you get webbed.

So I read the tip in the OP about Ion Shield dashing, I'll try that next I guess, but... any tips on playing Fencer without wanting to kill yourself? Before the sequel comes out, I mean?
Somewhere good I could grind him up a bit without having to fear near-instant death the first time I get stuck on invisible floor geometry (Air Force, I'm looking at you) :argh:

Shield Reflect will destroy everything that has a ranged attack.

Use a Blasthole Spear with a Reflector or Ion Mirror Shield in your first slot for dashing & close combat, and a pair of Gallics, NC Hand Cannons, or Disruptors for ranged combat in the other slot.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 17, 2017

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I just started a fencer for the first time, as well. Use a blasthole spear and a catapault in your sift slot. Start mission 11 on the highest difficulty level. Dash, shoot the catapault, dash, shoot the catapault is the fastest way to move around. Right at the start, dash to the back of the map. If you are fast enough, the drones won't attack you. You may get a few stragglers, though. My second weapon set is two of the multi homing missile launchers. I use those to clean up air units that stray too close. Then, once the drones are cleared out, you will be safe at the back. When the first wave of hectors dies, dash-cancel your way around the beach to pick up weapon boxes. Hightail it to the back when the next wave is getting close. When the second wave is down to one or two hectors, dash back out and grab weapon boxes. On this high difficulty level, you will quickly improve your arsenal.

Then, use mission 29 on easy to dash around and grab armor boxes. That level can net you like 150 armor per run if you get good at grabbing armor.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Day Man posted:

I just started a fencer for the first time, as well. Use a blasthole spear and a catapault in your sift slot. Start mission 11 on the highest difficulty level. Dash, shoot the catapault, dash, shoot the catapault is the fastest way to move around. Right at the start, dash to the back of the map. If you are fast enough, the drones won't attack you. You may get a few stragglers, though. My second weapon set is two of the multi homing missile launchers. I use those to clean up air units that stray too close. Then, once the drones are cleared out, you will be safe at the back. When the first wave of hectors dies, dash-cancel your way around the beach to pick up weapon boxes. Hightail it to the back when the next wave is getting close. When the second wave is down to one or two hectors, dash back out and grab weapon boxes. On this high difficulty level, you will quickly improve your arsenal.

Then, use mission 29 on easy to dash around and grab armor boxes. That level can net you like 150 armor per run if you get good at grabbing armor.
Here's one guy doing EDF 4.1, Mission 11 with Fencer on Inferno. He appears to have a lot of armor so maybe that's why his strategy worked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1PrIFUYK54

Same guy also did my favorite Mission 22 ("A Trap") with Fencer on Inferno: may have to turn up your video card's gamma for this video as it's a little dark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P81qwySrR1Q
I never found use for the Vibro-Hammers but the player shows they work well in the tunnel mission, by dual-wielding using the best Vibro-Hammer available.

IIRC I got thru Mission 22/Fencer Inferno by dashing up to the tunnels, finding a dead-end, and last-standing myself against the insect waves with a large shield and a high-level Jackhammer. I think I got thru the mission quickly, too: faster than the Vibro-hammer-guy in the video.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
...I dunno guys, I'm starting to get the sinking feeling that the Fencer just isn't very good. :negative:

And it's a drat shame, because aesthetically it's almost everything I've ever wanted in a power-armor videogame. Like, #23 "Giant Robots" - it's loving badass that I can skate up underneath these giant fuckers and jackhammer them in the crotch with a rapid-fire pilebunker, right? Cut to 5 minutes later, I can't kill them faster than they spawn in, I get surrounded, my useless NPC friends died nearly instantly (possibly because my weapons are hilariously deadly to them), and there's just no escaping that volume of fire coming from that many directions. To say nothing of getting ragdolled and only sometimes being immune to damage, which makes me think being nailed for half my healthbar while I'm still pinwheeling is unintentional, but maybe it's unintentional when I don't take damage, who knows!

I tried a couple different times, different load-outs, different strategies... Anyways, I switch to Wing Diver and finish the mission in one shot, first try. Not that it was a cakewalk, but it was doable, felt reasonable, and was an all-around satisfying gameplay experience. Compare to Fencer, where my stompy robot tank-man melts in approximately the exact same time as the half-naked valkyrie but controls like 500 lbs of lead covered in grease.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I feel ya. Ranger gets so many cool tools and mobility that Fencer doesn't have much of a place.

I want to either be a boosting heavy armor hammer smasher or a lumbering unkillable mobile missile battery.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hectors are the enemy you least have to shoot as a Fencer, just reflect all their poo poo back at them

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I finally got the plasma whip and it's... a pistol that shoots a bunch of laser spikes?

I have a laser chainsaw but an actual whip is out of the question?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I got Insect Armageddon in a humble bundle or something a long time ago but just now got around to installing it, I heard it was "the bad EDF" but after playing for a few hours it seems okay, what's supposed to be wrong with it? Is it just the bottom of the EDF totem pole or does it have some terrible design decisions or something crop up?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

McSpanky posted:

I got Insect Armageddon in a humble bundle or something a long time ago but just now got around to installing it, I heard it was "the bad EDF" but after playing for a few hours it seems okay, what's supposed to be wrong with it? Is it just the bottom of the EDF totem pole or does it have some terrible design decisions or something crop up?

It doesn't have 200 levels filled with dozens of motherships so it's automatically the worst game for some people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

McSpanky posted:

It's fine. It was my first EDF game and I loved it, even if I think 4.1 is quite a bit better.

I prefer the Battle Armor's idea of the Fencer to the jetboost spam deflection Fencer we get in 4.1, too.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Ghost of Starman posted:

...I dunno guys, I'm starting to get the sinking feeling that the Fencer just isn't very good. :negative:

And it's a drat shame, because aesthetically it's almost everything I've ever wanted in a power-armor videogame. Like, #23 "Giant Robots" - it's loving badass that I can skate up underneath these giant fuckers and jackhammer them in the crotch with a rapid-fire pilebunker, right? Cut to 5 minutes later, I can't kill them faster than they spawn in, I get surrounded, my useless NPC friends died nearly instantly (possibly because my weapons are hilariously deadly to them), and there's just no escaping that volume of fire coming from that many directions. To say nothing of getting ragdolled and only sometimes being immune to damage, which makes me think being nailed for half my healthbar while I'm still pinwheeling is unintentional, but maybe it's unintentional when I don't take damage, who knows!

I tried a couple different times, different load-outs, different strategies... Anyways, I switch to Wing Diver and finish the mission in one shot, first try. Not that it was a cakewalk, but it was doable, felt reasonable, and was an all-around satisfying gameplay experience. Compare to Fencer, where my stompy robot tank-man melts in approximately the exact same time as the half-naked valkyrie but controls like 500 lbs of lead covered in grease.
The developers original stated the Fencer class was, "technical", meaning it's probably the toughest class to play. I recall on some missions with Fencer on Hardest I was getting stomped, and had to play the problem mission on lower difficulties, until I could come back to the mission on Hardest with more armor and better weapons.

There's one mission I recall with Dragons in a big outdoor area that took forever. I finally came up with a pattern to beat it on Hardest, but just barely.

What helped me was a Google Spreadsheet that showed all the weapons that would drop for each class at different difficulty levels. I would plan my game around the weapon drops, farming particular levels until I had the advanced weapon I wanted, then went back to try the earlier levels I was having problems with.

I think I got that Google Spreadsheet link from one of the EDF threads on here...

EDIT: I think this is the spreadsheet. Note the class equipment is split out into separate tabs, to show what level the weapon is available at. And then the Main tab shows you what weapon-levels can appear depending on level and difficulty.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzMFU1jQ797wRzItUFZsLTlBSzQ/edit

I hope somebody compiles a similar spreadsheet for EDF 5...

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 18, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The Fencer is in fact awful, it gets props mostly for being able to cheese inferno stuff by reflecting shots back for hella damage.

and that's it

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

It's not a "Bad" game, you can definitely have a good time. I was enjoying myself as I was playing it way back, for example.

I'll try to sum up it up like this.

Right when I thought to myself "Allright, it's finally starting to feel like a proper EDF!" with UFO's raining lasers down from the sky, and hordes of robots coming at me. Clearly our first taste of the mothership before we come back later and blow it out of the sky on foot only to discover there is an even more huge ship to kill :black101:

Then the game ended. :flaccid:

Basically, it's the SCALE. EDF's early levels still have you facing off against hundreds of giant robots approaching from the horizon as airstrikes can only kill half of them. The Mothership does a drive by shooting that levels half a city, then barfs out literally hundreds of flying drones for you to deal with as it floats off. You fight GODZILLA. Sometimes on foot, sometimes with the assistance of a giant robot to punch the poo poo out of them. And it keeps escalating up from there.

It is of no exaggeration, to say you could fit the grand total of enemies in the Insect Armageddon campaign, into a single level of main series EDF once it gets rolling. While regular EDF does have a ton of filler levels that don't particularly stand out, it has more moments that stand out compared to IA too.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 18, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gamerofthegame posted:

The Fencer is in fact awful, it gets props mostly for being able to cheese inferno stuff by reflecting shots back for hella damage.

and that's it

this is a bad post

so here's the overall thing about Fencer. it can:

- brawl just as well as a Ranger
- move basically as well as a Wing Diver
- throw out long range damage almost as well as an Air Raider
- and because of its 4-weapon profile, it can do at least 2 of these things at once at any one time.

but the downside is that it is finicky as hell, and it will frequently take longer for the Fencer to get into position and do normal objectives than it will for any of the others to do their specific role. a ranger only needs to pull the trigger because his weapons are great; a fencer will need to boost around and wait for an opening to hit a shield reflect or thrust with their blasthole spear. they cannot actually fly so transiting around the map will generally be slower than a Wing Diver (though they can win on a straightaway), and while the hand cannons and heavy cannons do a fantastic job of projecting damage, the bullet dropoff requires some getting used to an finagling.

so in the context of a team that knows exactly what it's doing on a specific mission and nothing goes wrong - yes, Fencers feel bad. anything they can do can be better done by a specialist class.

in a situation where the team is slanted too far one way (for example, 2 air raiders on Operation Brute Force or something), a Fencer makes a gigantic amount of sense because they can be anywhere and do anything. when poo poo goes wrong, Fencers will not just clear out an area with vicious force, they will also be ideal to do the rescue because they have the most armor.

fencers also shine incredibly well at being distractions for the rest of the team, by boosting directly at a big mass of enemies and then sliding around on the periphery to lead them away from objectives. which, if you don't think that's useful, you haven't played inferno much.

in short, on any given mission, it might not make sense to bring a certain class - big maps hate Rangers because they can't move fast. cramped maps hate Wing Divers because it's difficult for them to avoid damage. Shieldbearer maps hate Air Raiders, and certain levels just take the vast majority of their tricks away for story reasons. but that's basically never true for a Fencer. a Fencer ALWAYS makes sense, the question is just what equipment he should bring.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 18, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The only thing more disappointing than finding the correct weapons to make Fencers exceed 300 apm, is that loot table. Punish the player for beating the toughest stages with easy mode garbage half the time through half the missions. It must be so exciting if it carries over in EDF5.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
If it does carry over at least they'll be upgraded :haw:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

This lines up with my experience pretty much perfectly. The Fencer is never the best at any one thing(besides having the most armor), but they are the ultimate switch hitters and have an order of magnitude more flexibility than any of the other classes. This is super helpful in Hardest and Inferno, where someone making a mistake or a freak accident(NPC wandering in front of an explosive weapon being fired, for example) can throw the mission into a spiral that can be hard to escape from; Fencers excel in salvaging that situation. They can take over bug kiting duties, they can provide long range fire support, they can use their incredible speed and armor values to be the resurrection medic, etc.

I feel a lot safer with a good fencer in a team. I don't think more than one is best simply because other classes perform their specializations better, but flexibility is a power all of its own.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Coolguye posted:

so here's the overall thing about Fencer. it can:

Thanks for this. It's nice to know it's not just me. And thanks for the spreadsheet, too, nnnotime; maybe knowing where/when/how to grind will help. (Any suggestions for good things to shoot for still in Normal?)

For what it's worth, to the folks talking about reflecting shots - I think there must be some damage- vs. health-scaling thing going on, because I reflected plenty of shots back at the Hectors on Normal and it didn't do poo poo (as best I could tell; there were a lot of explosions going on at the time).

Edit: Oh yeah - is there anything to being fast with the Fencer other than Boost Dash + Shield-cancelling? It seems good, but it doesn't seem "better than Wing Diver good"...

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Look, if leaping off a skyscraper to spar with Hectors while dual-wielding pneumatic fists is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Ghost of Starman posted:

Edit: Oh yeah - is there anything to being fast with the Fencer other than Boost Dash + Shield-cancelling? It seems good, but it doesn't seem "better than Wing Diver good"...

Boost Dash + Javelin Catapult. The javelins are useless weapons, but they have an unintentionally useful gimmick that instantly cancels the recovery animation of other attacks, and conveniently also your dash move too. You can (horizontally) out-pace and out-maneuver a wingdiver with this combo.

Gabby_Jay fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 18, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ChickenHeart posted:

Look, if leaping off a skyscraper to spar with Hectors while dual-wielding pneumatic fists is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

loadout 1: two identical short range weapons
loadout 2: two identical slightly longer range short range weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
That spreadsheet seems to be for EDF4, not 4.1. Try this, you can set to English: http://weapon.edf.jpn.com/4-1/

Scalding Coffee posted:

Punish the player for beating the toughest stages with easy mode garbage half the time through half the missions. It must be so exciting if it carries over in EDF5.
I've been grinding some Inferno missions, don't get your hopes up yet but I don't recall getting anything lower than lv50s while grinding missions 61 and 86.

I wasn't really paying attention to this, just fast forwarding throught the results screen but I'll do so for the next few days.