Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pakled posted:

If the XFL works this time, maybe someone other than EA would get the license to make the video games and the completion would rock the Madden series out of the doldrums it's been in for years.

Maybe, but when 2K made the All-Star 2008 game, it was met with a collective meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Jinder Mahal won't be doing anything coming up, if they want a heel USA-hating QB

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The only parts of Fox not sold to Disney are Fox News and Fox Sports so we all know where Vince is going to air it.

I ebay'd a HE HATE ME jersey a few months ago just because. He's the only player to be in the NFL, CFL, and XFL. Legend.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
It was the same feeling at the time. "Oh man a league with good games, extra football we can watch, guys trying their heart out."

It was worse than Thursday Night Football every game. Maybe if they had a better lead up to the league, practice time, better workouts, the on field product would be good. But as it was? The games were really bad outside of a handfull.

And then instead of trying to improve the onfield stuff, they just added more camera shots of cheerleaders, and promos and cheerleader lockerrooms.

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 18, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
From what I remember of the XFL, both the football and wrestling fans at my high school hated it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And didn't they hire like ancient out of date coaches like Schnellenberger and poo poo during the spread offence boom in college?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

algebra testes posted:

And didn't they hire like ancient out of date coaches like Schnellenberger and poo poo during the spread offence boom in college?

hah you thought they could get a name coach like Schnelly.

Galen Hall, Ron Meyer, Rusty Tillman, Gerry DiNardo, Al Luginbill, Jim Skipper, Kippy Brown and Jim Criner were the XFL head coaches.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Yaws posted:

Why does he think this will work? The XFL was a massive failure, people recall it as an embarrassment, no major networks are going to carry it, the talent pool will be non-existent.

What is his logic here?
Vince lives a bubble like most dipshit conservatives who think the NFL is unpopular because it has become "unpatriotic", plus he thinks that 30 for 30 doc put a positive spin on the XFL to inspire him to try and fail again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

a flag humping football league run by egoists wrapping itself in #patriotism and not giving a poo poo about the players as they continue to kill one another through head shots? Well thank god we don't have anything like that right now...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Vince should just bankroll the Atlantic Schooners in the CFL.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Cross-posting from PSP

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hope Vince bankrupts himself

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Looks like it's even more he sold off!

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/943977326861307904

Ahhh shares vs stock equals the same thing. My bad. Still...this is really happening, eh?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

a new study bible! posted:

Hope Vince bankrupts himself
Can't wait for Disney to buy WWE and then make the product good as a whole again, that or WWE dies and I'll be bummed out

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

If they went full progressive and did a 7 on 7 league, reduced helmets/pads as to discourage using your helmet as a weapon, complete run and gun gently caress it I'm going deep make the Big 12 look like the Big 10 offense it might find a niche audience.

Instead it's gonna be flag loving fartball that no one will give a poo poo about after the first five minutes and it's gonna tank the WWE stock price in the process.

:perfect:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Remember that this is because he thinks that anthem protests are responsible for dwindling NFL viewership.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hell, let the man make XFL 2. He's already got a line of progression for the WWE, let him spend his money and try again. What does he have to lose besides money?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
God bless Vince McMahon

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Athanatos posted:

It was the same feeling at the time. "Oh man a league with good games, extra football we can watch, guys trying their heart out."

It was worse than Thursday Night Football every game. Maybe if they had a better lead up to the league, practice time, better workouts, the on field product would be good. But as it was? The games were really bad outside of a handfull.

And then instead of trying to improve the onfield stuff, they just added more camera shots of cheerleaders, and promos and cheerleader lockerrooms.

The whole No Preseason Games bit them once the season started and nobody had a cohesive offense.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that he's funding this without a TV deal secured is ballsy

Who am I kidding, every game will air live on WWE NETWORK

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

I could see a GOTW on NBCSN, maybe the title game on NBC proper if it's a spring league. Rest get streamed on the network, maybe YouTube/Facebook as well.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

EugeneJ posted:

Weren't wwe investors in FloSports? Perhaps Vince tries to use xfl to sell a second streaming app.

Obviously if he wants to make money on this they need a tv deal but who knows what crazy rear end Vince is thinking

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

itll air on c-span

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

schweens posted:

Weren't wwe investors in FloSports?

No. You're probably thinking of WWN, a loose association of indie promotions run by Gabe Sapolsky (who somehow manages to challenge Vince when it comes to insane carny promoters, and the biggest reason FloSlam went tits-up).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HerraS posted:

itll air on c-span

This would be the best possible thing. X-Span would rule. Vince funding his own government would be awesome TV.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Benne posted:

No. You're probably thinking of WWN, a loose association of indie promotions run by Gabe Sapolsky (who somehow manages to challenge Vince when it comes to insane carny promoters, and the biggest reason FloSlam went tits-up).

I thought WWE put some money into it with the idea being that they could get some of the tape library when FloSlam eventually folded.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

It's going to be really funny when Vince loses 100 million dollars betting on Alt-Right fuckheads being able to prop up an entire sports league when football has already passed the saturation point, and thinking people want to see more injuries than touchdowns per season.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

schweens posted:

I thought WWE put some money into it with the idea being that they could get some of the tape library when FloSlam eventually folded.

I think it's more of a "yes and no" situation. They set up some kind of talent exchange program between NXT and WWN (a lot of the guys in the Cruiserweight Classic were former EVOLVE stars), with the obvious endgame of streaming Gabe's promotions on the WWE Network one day. Then Gabe went and made the deal with FloSlam, which WWE supposedly knew nothing about beforehand. Curiously enough, we never heard about an NXT/EVOLVE relationship after that.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Benne posted:

I think it's more of a "yes and no" situation. They set up some kind of talent exchange program between NXT and WWN (a lot of the guys in the Cruiserweight Classic were former EVOLVE stars), with the obvious endgame of streaming Gabe's promotions on the WWE Network one day. Then Gabe went and made the deal with FloSlam, which WWE supposedly knew nothing about beforehand. Curiously enough, we never heard about an NXT/EVOLVE relationship after that.

If they would turn WWE into a network with sports, they should also bring back American Gladiators with WWE Superstars and Mike Adamle.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

C. Everett Koop posted:

I could see a GOTW on NBCSN, maybe the title game on NBC proper if it's a spring league. Rest get streamed on the network, maybe YouTube/Facebook as well.

I could see NBC getting sold on the idea of broadcasting year-round Sunday Night Football with XFL in the spring since they own the branding

Or maybe Vince goes balls-out and decides to run a fall league against the NFL, and another network decides to put XFL on Sunday and Monday nights

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

EugeneJ posted:

Or maybe Vince goes balls-out and decides to run a fall league against the NFL, and another network decides to put XFL on Sunday and Monday nights

It'll be the Monday Night Wars all over again!

...the second one, between WWE and TNA. The one that was a giant disaster week one and only got worse.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Didnt Shane try to stop the first? Where are you Shane?!?!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

a.lo posted:

He's too busy writing his self-insert fanfic on Smackdown right now

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

a.lo posted:

"The XFL ownership contract DOES say McMahon, dad... but not VINCE McMahon..."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

He's too busy writing his self-insert fanfic on Smackdown right now

Don't forget that Stephanie and Hunter are literal Mary Sues of themselves and can't lower their egos.

At least Vince knew how to sell a storyline and get his come uppance.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I want the first game to be at a stadium in Texas, and none of the rosters are announced ahead of time

The announcer says "and now, the visiting team captain..." and Kaepernick walks out mid-field and takes a knee

Would be the best thing and I need it in my life

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EugeneJ posted:

I want the first game to be at a stadium in Texas, and none of the rosters are announced ahead of time

The announcer says "and now, the visiting team captain..." and Kaepernick walks out mid-field and takes a knee

I would watch a league where Kaep cuts promos about black lives matter before games

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

algebra testes posted:

I would watch a league where Kaep cuts promos about black lives matter before games

The Nation of Domination rises again.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Silly Burrito posted:

The Nation of Domination rises again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

EugeneJ posted:

After the Patriots/Seahawks superbowl, when my friend was down in the dumps because Tom Brady had screwed his favorite team on the one-yard line, I said to him "Wouldn't it be amazing if the Buffalo Bills came out and cashed in Money In The Bank right now?"

He laughed his rear end off and replied to me "Only if when Kyle Orton comes out onto the field to cash in, he RKO's Brady, and takes off his helmet to reveal he's actually RANDY Orton."

I was then inspired to add: "And then the whole team takes off their Bills Jerseys to reveal Las Vegas Outlaws uniforms, and Vince McMahon appears to say the XFL is back and they're taking the Lombardi Trophy back to Nevada TONIGHT!"

I choose to believe there is now a non-zero chance of this conversation becoming a reality.