Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Does one year of premium time for gold ever go on sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Usually around January.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
I have been trying to complete some LT missions and I'm convinced that spotting for your team is a more effective way to stat bad your winrate than what cartoon is doing.

I just had a game where I kept a casemate TD tracked and 2 of my team drove up in front of it to face hug and get destroyed with out doing 1hp of damage.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Re: Autoloaders

What in the actual gently caress?

What have I been doing in World of Tanks all these years?

And the Lorraine 40t isn't even a good autoloading tank.

Welp, I might have to eat a whole ton of crow and grind up the czech tree :stare:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Lorraine is legit my favourite tank in the game. Its so good at what it does.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
What loving year is it

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How do I make my tanks pink?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BadLlama posted:

How do I make my tanks pink?

Needs to be a tier 8 premium or a tier 10 and you can select paint the same way you'd choose camo or emblems.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The Lorraine is a 50 100 that trades two shots off the autoloader (and therefore doesn't have a nearly 50 second reload) for substantially better stats almost everywhere else. Trying to actually make use of those extra two shots, with a 2.7s reload time, is pretty hard to do safely, so just getting rid of them and cutting down the reload time is a big boost.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

On the other hand a Lorraine can't just go gently caress it ill lose half my hp but clip out an entire enemy tier 8.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Duzzy Funlop posted:

And the Lorraine 40t isn't even a good autoloading tank.

Yes it is.

When I look at camos on my tanks I have dozens of them. I know there's 3 bits per tank and 3 seasons, but I seem to have way more than that. Can I safely sell camos, or am I gonna be selling camos that are on my tanks?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BadLlama posted:

On the other hand a Lorraine can't just go gently caress it ill lose half my hp but clip out an entire enemy tier 8.

or tier 10 that's taken one hit

Rech
Dec 26, 2011

How many gambling boxes do you need to buy to get enough decorations to unlock female crew?

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Just downloaded this and looking to play with Goons.

Can I get an invite in 2PAC or another Euro clan? Running Tier V heavy armt the moment but still pretty new.

Username Consulaire

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

First impressions. The gun handling is trollish. You can make the bullshit Russian Medium snap shots most of the time but it occasionally throws in a complete 'where the gently caress did that go' shot to keep you on your toes. The turret is still solid and I guess as its so rare now people don't know where to shoot the hull so I've had some good matchups where I've bounced almost everything fired at me.

Its got reasonable pen on its standard round and the premium is pretty good for a T8 medium.

I am having so much loving fun in it though holy poo poo its great.

Just watch out, the major downside of the 59 is the low ammo capacity. It's really easy to run out, considering the middling handling and modest alpha. Note that [unless this was buffed recently as I haven't driven mine in a while] the 59 carries fewer 100 mm shells than the T-34-3 (basically the same tank!) carries 122 mm! :psyduck:

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

Rech posted:

How many gambling boxes do you need to buy to get enough decorations to unlock female crew?

I bought the 25 box pack and it was enough to unlock all the rewards without playing a single game so win win. I didn't get anything else out of the 100 total boxes I bought. The gold value was pretty good but not anything like what everyone is reporting. 30k gold 8mm credits a month of prem time and some silly tank stickers.

I thought the Type 59 got an ammo capacity buff recently. Maybe that was the 54 prototype.

When do we get gold tanks? That's something I'd buy a lot of boxes for.

2Jets fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 18, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How do the O-I and O-Ni play? I am gonna start that line and dunno where if I should free xp to tier 6, 7 or 8.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
6 is great, 7 is okay, 8 is frustrating due to the mini turret layout

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

How do the O-I and O-Ni play? I am gonna start that line and dunno where if I should free xp to tier 6, 7 or 8.

Don't rely on your armor unless you're top-tier, put HE shells into your opponents' sides, roofs, and LFPs. If you're top-tier, put HE shells literally anywhere.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Don't rely on your armor even if you are top tier, everyone just loads gold. I consider it a minor miracle if I bounce anything in the type 5

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The O-I was exceptionally well armored against same-tier and lower-tier tanks, except that gold basically makes it an autopen due to limited spaced or sloped armor. For me the O-Ni basically bounced nothing that hit it, until it ran up against some dipshit who thought it had "weak points" and tried to cupola snipe instead of just pressing 2. The O-Ni doesn't even get particularly good raw armor compared to the pen increase from tier 6 to 7, and it has uncharacteristically weak side armor compared to its front armor for that line, where its side armor stays the same thickness from tier 6, so trying to angle more than 10 degrees is almost always a mistake if there's any chance the enemy can move to get a side shot. Even if you do angle the hull cheeks and miniturret sides become almost weak spots, in that they're 20mm thinner than the other flat armor spots, so more AP shots are liable to pen but lets get real, anyone smart enough to try to aim at weak spots is going to shoot gold at you anyway.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Ok I went in at tier6 and the armor is already useless. They really need to get rid of gold ammo and rebalance some tanks around it. Of course this is wargaming so it's not gonna happen.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

Ok I went in at tier6 and the armor is already useless. They really need to get rid of gold ammo and rebalance some tanks around it. Of course this is wargaming so it's not gonna happen.

if gold ammo wasn't in the game the O-I would be functionally immortal to every tank below its tier from all angles and most of its tiermates frontally

+0/-0 matchmaking when

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
The IS is a strong tank. I hope the IS-3 can live up to the hype.

Some Ace Replays

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4010398#siegfried_line-yoko_ono-is

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4010405#fisherman_s_bay-yoko_ono-is

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Yes it is.

When I look at camos on my tanks I have dozens of them. I know there's 3 bits per tank and 3 seasons, but I seem to have way more than that. Can I safely sell camos, or am I gonna be selling camos that are on my tanks?

I had no idea. From the feeling of the thread, I got the impression that the Lorraine was severely underwhelming, not sure why. Either the talk about its armor, size, or soft stats gave me the impression it simply was barely mediocre, and not worth its price. When I got it in the box, I was fairly happy because hey, it's a tier 8 tank on top of a good gold deal, but I didn't really think I'd play it a lot.

And now...it's a loving boatload of fun.

Maybe because it's my first autoloader, not entirely sure, but drat. It's even fun with the 100%, 3% repair crew I apparently still had lying around from that time Rampage mode gave everyone a batchat rental.

/edit:

Also, I'm gonna take a half hour and do some decoration crafting I guess. The boxes gave me a fuckton of tier V stuff to break down, so I'm trying to figure out what the most efficient way of going about completing the collections is.
Do people try to craft the higher tier stuff first because of low drop rates, or do they forego the final 8% of the possible bonus and just collect/craft all of the lower-tier stuff?

I'd be happy with something around 35% across the board, maybe max out one collection or so.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 18, 2017

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

2Jets posted:

I thought the Type 59 got an ammo capacity buff recently.

It did. Pretty sure it carries more shells than the t-34-3 now but only by like 5.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, I'm gonna take a half hour and do some decoration crafting I guess. The boxes gave me a fuckton of tier V stuff to break down, so I'm trying to figure out what the most efficient way of going about completing the collections is.
Do people try to craft the higher tier stuff first because of low drop rates, or do they forego the final 8% of the possible bonus and just collect/craft all of the lower-tier stuff?

I'd be happy with something around 35% across the board, maybe max out one collection or so.

If you figure out the best way to go about crafting let me know. Trying to figure that out myself.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I select the nation and tier I want to craft then set the crafting to random first if the page is mostly empty. I craft like 6 or 7 things then switch to specifying what item I want to craft, seems to work pretty well.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Trying to get every single collection to the maximum of 48% seems prohibitively expensive through targeted crafting, since you need 55 items out of any collection for it. That would require 6-7 tier V items depending on the collection. Targeting only nation and tier V costs 960 shards for each item, so you could run those a few times until you have 5 or so items, and then you can target nation, tier and type exclusively for those items where only one exists per tier and nation, like villa, yard, or candle decoration, to push you over the edge. That costs you 1440 shard each time, so I'd really only use it for the final stretch.

And that's just tier V, so you'll still have to use a similar, albeit cheaper, approach for tier IV. I'd argue you can randomly collect most of the poo poo at tier 1-3 depending on drops. So this can easily cost you 8000 shards just for tier V, another 3000 shards for tier IV, I'd assume. So that is a metric fuckton of shards to get the maximum bonus of 48%.

Now, if you're only shooting for the 36% bonus, you need 37 items collected from any selected collection, which you can do without a single tier IV or V item. Even targeting nation, tier, and type only costs 180 shards for each process, so filling up those few decorations you don't collect randomly isn't that expensive and can easily be done with breaking down the low-tier poo poo you find after completing a few missions.

So it's basically your decision. Do you want to spend a fuckton of shards to first max out the collections one after the other, or do you want to rather easily grab a 36% bonus across the board?

If you've gone for one of those 75 box deals, you're almost certain to have one collection full of tier Vs because of their guaranteed droprate. Maxing out that collection to 48% is rather cheap in that case.

I'm almost sure some reddit nerd must have run the math and shat out a spreadsheet on all of the math I'm eyeballing up there, so if anyone finds that and would like to share, that'd be dope, I guess. I'm only swinging for the 36%s, in my non-Russian collections, tbh.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Also: Look at the loving money this thing makes with the Christmas boost.

And this is just a 36% boost.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I threw down a credit boost reserve last night and had a 196k type 59 game with the 24% bonus. Was only a mastery 1 game so I'd love to see what an ace game + Christmas bonus + personal reserve would do.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I've gotten more than three games over 200k credits with the Skorpion G and Lorraine 40t by now, that's not even uncommon with the bonus. the Skorpion game was only in the 4.5k damage range, I think.

And then there are carries like this where you pull in 120k on a tier 7 non-premium:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but holy poo poo, those Christmas bonuses.

Fire all premium ammo, still make cash hand over fist, get showered in XP, unlock poo poo like you're converting free XP. Got to 48% in the traditional and Russian collection, 36% in the two others.
poo poo owns.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Secret Confessions of a Stat Badder - The very next day

Dear Bad Santa,

I can explain.....

Now that I've had my cherry popped when the team is looking certain to win I go all out to get exp/credits and finish missions. I might need to dial back the settings OR I have just had an unaccountably consistent run of good teams. I did manage my second blue banning and execution so the fun is still there!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Secret Confessions of a Stat Badder - The very next day

Dear Bad Santa,

I can explain.....

Now that I've had my cherry popped when the team is looking certain to win I go all out to get exp/credits and finish missions. I might need to dial back the settings OR I have just had an unaccountably consistent run of good teams. I did manage my second blue banning and execution so the fun is still there!

I actually expect you to end up around 42 or 43% winrate with the tanks you're playing once you get up to a large enough sample size. You simply cannot drag your teammates down hard enough with the tanks you're playing at the tiers you're playing. Maybe once you start getting into the higher tier german heavies or arti you can have a greater negative impact but if you're 38na is being a dummy it's not particularly unexpected.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4012863#paris-axetrain-type_59

That sure is some amount of credits. I know they say it's not what it used to be but after a bunch of games the Type seems pretty drat capable to me. Also the Christmas event more than covers the cost of full gold spam, so feel free to apply liberally while still making silver hand over fist.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was driving a Churchill III down a lane and I hit a single step, which somehow lifted me up enough to drive onto the building. Just long enough to flip on my side. I saw it happen but it still boggles my mind.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

I was driving a Churchill III down a lane and I hit a single step, which somehow lifted me up enough to drive onto the building. Just long enough to flip on my side. I saw it happen but it still boggles my mind.

If you back into a wall you'll flip over, no step needed. I know this because I am dumb enough to have flipped over onto my side multiple times doing just that.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The worst thing I can really say about the Type 59 nowadays is that it has the second worst DPM of the tier 8 mediums, edging out the Lorr. 40t (and I guess the T-44 w/ 122mm), and even then it's pretty competitive (ignoring poo poo like the 416). It's decently mobile, it's got good armor for a medium tank (I think only the 54 Proto, Super P, and Centurion turret beat it, of the tanks I checked) and the recent buffs to gun handling and ammo capacity have resolved two of the other flaws it had.

Power creep means it's not fantastic anymore, but it's still solid at what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I know I said I was eyeballing the Skoda T50 and 50/51 after playing around with the Lorraine 40t, but is there a different line with a fun / sorta hard hitting autoloader around tier 8ish anywhere else that doesn't require you to grind through an unfun line?

At least I recall hearing that the grind up to the Czech T9 and T10 was incredibly arduous with the exception of one or two tanks.