Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jade Rider posted:

I started playing this since a friend of mine is into it, I made a Sith Sorcerer and I'm having a blast shooting lightning everywhere and being a snarky dick to everyone :allears:

Sith Sorcerer works so well for the latest expansion pack story. They just fit the evil choices so much better then any other class in the game in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I said come in! posted:

Sith Sorcerer works so well for the latest expansion pack story. They just fit the evil choices so much better then any other class in the game in my opinion.

Even better than SW? I was about to take my warrior through the expansion but might hold off for the sorc I was planning to roll

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Even better than SW? I was about to take my warrior through the expansion but might hold off for the sorc I was planning to roll

Towards the end of the end of the Sith Warrior story you're someone's personal assassin. At the end of the inquisitor story you're on the dark council, have part of the imperial military reporting to you and own entire planets. While this isn't really followed up much on, cruelly consolidating your power is what the inquisitor story is all about. I mean, when it isn't about capturing ghosts.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Honestly, it's all pretty bad. Let's not pretend the expansion content was written with even the least bit of regard towards what came before.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'd argue that SI is one of the least sastifying classes to take into the expansion content because by the end of the class story, you have all the cool poo poo that hobbes mentioned, but once you start any of the expansion content (KOTFE in particular) you have exactly as much status as a bounty hunter or a trooper and it doesn't feel quite right

Basically don't worry about picking the best class for the most satisfying story for the expansions because they're not really written with care. Force users make more sense than the blaster classes but honestly it just doesn't matter too much, play the class you have the most fun playing with.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Marr takes a slightly different tone with you at least. But 99% of the time the lines are the same for all classes so that’s a bit of a problem.

Also the one or two “class quests” in the expansions have to answer “where’s my power base” with “uh oooh look a Sith artifact!” Now while the inquisitor is an ADD force using tomb raider it’s still really dumb.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got two characters to level 70 this week. So that was cool. :homebrew:

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I'm gonna die on this Tracer Missile-esque hill and shout about it until the end of time, but I still feel they should have done what they did on Rishi and have class-related missions during KOTFE/ET. One or two would've been nice, I think.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Towards the end of the end of the Sith Warrior story you're someone's personal assassin. At the end of the inquisitor story you're on the dark council, have part of the imperial military reporting to you and own entire planets. While this isn't really followed up much on, cruelly consolidating your power is what the inquisitor story is all about. I mean, when it isn't about capturing ghosts.

'Someone's personal assassin' being the loving Emperor's Wrath who actually outranks the Dark Council as the Wrath only answers to the Emperor. You're basically Vader.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Airspace posted:

I'm gonna die on this Tracer Missile-esque hill and shout about it until the end of time, but I still feel they should have done what they did on Rishi and have class-related missions during KOTFE/ET. One or two would've been nice, I think.

Everyone wants to see more individual class content. Unfortunately that's a big investment - even one small mission like Rishi would require 16 voice actors doing their thing, then the ancillary characters.

The game isn't in maintenance mode and I contend they're still pulling a modest profit, but not enough to do that kind of content.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aleth posted:

'Someone's personal assassin' being the loving Emperor's Wrath who actually outranks the Dark Council as the Wrath only answers to the Emperor. You're basically Vader.

The Wrath isn't under the Council's authority but can't command them either. The Emperor's special pals are outside the power structure.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

The Wrath isn't under the Council's authority but can't command them either. The Emperor's special pals are outside the power structure.

He does essentially have the authority to execute them though if he considers them to be working against the will of the Emperor. But yeah, he can't start ordering them around day-to-day as that's not his job and there's always some other jerk that needs choking somewhere.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I just force choked Servant One. :feelsgood:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

There's strong arguments for both Sith characters going through the post-60 storylines; the Inquisitor is arguably the more powerful character, personally and politically, but the Warrior has a much more personal relationship with the Emperor.

The Jedi Knight has the most personal relationship with the emperor, though. If you're inclined to disagree with this, you're not remembering the Knight story well enough. In fact, the expansion story seems to me like it was obviously written for the Knight and then awkwardly wiggled around a little so other characters could be substituted. You want evidence of this, check out all the promotional in-game footage from KotFE. Their "generic" player character wears knight gear and carries a blue lightsaber.

So... in that sense... they did continue at least one class story...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah the Knight spends way more time with the Emperor than the Warrior does.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I like playing light side but I've had trouble with either Jedi, since while sith stuff is "pick the nice thing or the mean thing" Jedi light side stuff is "pick the thing that would be said by a robot" and it's dark side to do nice things a lot of the time. At least Trooper and Scoundrel don't seem to work that way, but it really bugged me and made me not really want to level Consular or Knight past the starting world.

Does that get any less dumb or was I right to bail?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The problem I have with Sith is that the Light option is usually the pragmatic one, even when it causes suffering offscreen.

Personally kill someone? That's the Dark Side. Keep them alive so someone else can torture them or so they can undermine the Republic? That's Light Side.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

why as inquisitor was keeping Ashaa/Rakata-Mother thing in prison the light side option?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Just finished a dark side trooper. Their DS options are pretty tame, like skimming money or gear off the top, or actually following your orders. Oh darn. I did enjoy Forex cheering every execution. gently caress walking back to Garza a million times though.

Dark consular is the goofiest. This healing ritual might hurt me? Nah I'm not using that poo poo. Had to kill npc #6 just like all the rest, I swear.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I remember literally nothing about the Knight storyline other than helping a guild mate with his fight to win over the previous Wrath. My own trip through on my Sent? nada, totally blank slate.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Chapter 2 of the Knight revolves around planning an assault on the Emperor and Chapter 3 deals with the fallout of that basically.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So just finished Knights of the Eternal Throne last chapter, messaged a few friends and told them I was finished with the game for now. They were confused and told me there's another storyline called Fractured Alliances out, and that I'm just to start the new chapter but there is no new chapter, no notifications, no mails, nothing at all to notify or tell me that there's more story to play. What gives? Is it because my commander level is too low? (lvl 14)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

There should be a purple quest marker on your ship if you didn't get it granted automatically.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Medullah posted:

The game isn't in maintenance mode and I contend they're still pulling a modest profit, but not enough to do that kind of content.

I would say the game is (unfortunately) very much in 'maintenance' mode, just pumping out mostly cash shop stuff for the whales, and some token content to play through every six months or so.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Wouldn't be an MMO without someone declaring the game dead

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

clone on the phone posted:

I would say the game is (unfortunately) very much in 'maintenance' mode, just pumping out mostly cash shop stuff for the whales, and some token content to play through every six months or so.

Maintenance mode is where they stop producing new content and just budget too keep the game running. Whether you like it or not, they are releasing new content multiple times a year.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Medullah posted:

Maintenance mode is where they stop producing new content and just budget too keep the game running. Whether you like it or not, they are releasing new content multiple times a year.

They've been cutting and merging servers for a long time, and call it what you want but the cadence of meaningful content has very much slowed, and what has been released this year has been very lacking. I still play the game from time to time though. I'm just surprised Disney left EA to their devices and let the game get in the state it's in, but maybe that will change after the Battlefront debacle. EA made their bed when they went F2P and instead of a sane model they went all in on the whale system. Now they can't slow down cash shop releases or they lose that revenue, so everything else isn't a priority. One day we'll get a good online Star Wars game.

SI was the best storyline too, so I'm full of hot takes.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 19, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

There's no doubt the population is lower, but they are still investing a not unsubstantial amount of money in this game, and they wouldn't be doing that if it weren't turning a profit. It's not the 100 million dollar AAA game it was at launch, but believe me, it isn't dead and is years away from any type of maintenance mode UNLESS Disney decides to make EA shut down SWTOR.

And that won't happen unless the game is no longer profitable. Disney isn't going to shut down a profitable game of this magnitude. The investment to make a replacement game would never have the ROIC than letting a sure thing keep going.

On a broader scale, you're never going to see another Star Wars MMORPG - the MMORPG market is just not there anymore, gamers are fickle and Call of Duty/Destiny style games are the next big thing. I'd be willing to bet that SWTOR is the last of the big budget, AAA MMORPGs we'll see for a long time, if ever.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

clone on the phone posted:

EA made their bed when they went F2P and instead of a sane model they went all in on the whale system.

The writing was on the wall well before that, when they put a bunch of people who were completely out of touch with the modern MMO market in charge of a $200 million MMO project. The stupid decisions they built into their design meant they had to spent time and money backing out and correcting those things instead of adding new content, which is where an MMO is going to live or die.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Say wrong thing, get called out for wrong thing, move goalposts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

The writing was on the wall well before that, when they put a bunch of people who were completely out of touch with the modern MMO market in charge of a $200 million MMO project. The stupid decisions they built into their design meant they had to spent time and money backing out and correcting those things instead of adding new content, which is where an MMO is going to live or die.

Everyone blames KOTFE and KOTET for ruining the game, turning it into a single player experience, but I genuinely wonder if that's true. I would kill to get a look at their financial and metrics - like I've said before, I don't think the vast majority of the crowd that was still with this game at 3.0 was doing MMORPG content. I think the vast majority was just running story content over and over again, their metrics showed that so they decided to go all in with 4.0 with story (whether you like the story or not).

I maintain that if a sizeable amount of the population was raiding, and Hard/Nightmare mode at that, we would have seen more group content and more traditional expansions.

Really it just began doomed from the start - if they hadn't done fully voice acted stories and launched with a fair amount of endgame activity, it may have had a chance at hooking WoW/FF14 players. But they sold themselves on cinematics and voice acting, and that poo poo ain't cheap to maintain.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like at a bare minimum, they’ll keep the SWTOR lights on until the new trilogy is wrapped up. There’s movie tie-in outfits to gamble for, it’d be crazy to shut it down before then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Turning SWTOR into a single player game was a great decision in my opinion. I miss the raid content but goons don't play this game anymore. We just sit in this thread and whine about the game. :P

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Agreed, I don't have time to play very much, but I absolutely love how I can login whenever I have time and get my star wars fix bascially treating it like a singleplayer game. I do wish they made poo poo like mounts account wide like gw2 so alts didn't feel so lame.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It'd take some kind of combination of EA being forced by Disney to change the business model and another high profile flop by Bioware. So if Anthem flops and Disney decides loot box money isn't worth the bad publicity, that could be the end of TOR.

Medullah posted:

Really it just began doomed from the start - if they hadn't done fully voice acted stories and launched with a fair amount of endgame activity, it may have had a chance at hooking WoW/FF14 players. But they sold themselves on cinematics and voice acting, and that poo poo ain't cheap to maintain.

As a 14 player I felt like the game did very little to hook me. Only did one raid, Scum and Villainy, and it felt more like a long mediocre dungeon than a raid. The thing is, I actually wanted to play through all the group content when I got up to it but since I was always able to count the number of online goons on one hand that wasn't going to happen.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

It'd take some kind of combination of EA being forced by Disney to change the business model and another high profile flop by Bioware. So if Anthem flops and Disney decides loot box money isn't worth the bad publicity, that could be the end of TOR.

SWTOR's revenue stream is based on subscriptions, as long as they're in the black there the game is good. Cartel Market is a nice chunk, but subs are what they're after

quote:

As a 14 player I felt like the game did very little to hook me. Only did one raid, Scum and Villainy, and it felt more like a long mediocre dungeon than a raid. The thing is, I actually wanted to play through all the group content when I got up to it but since I was always able to count the number of online goons on one hand that wasn't going to happen.

TNG has never been a raiding guild. We had one or two groups in our prime, but that was a long time ago. That's never been something argued against - people who are looking for a regular raiding experience should seek out raiding guilds. TNG is just a social Goon guild.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I said come in! posted:

We just sit in this thread and whine about the game. :P

MODS, new thread title please.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Old Republic isn't going anywhere. You guys are being doom and gloom for literally no reason. Battlefront II being bad has nothing to do with TOR.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

CLAM DOWN posted:

Agreed, I don't have time to play very much, but I absolutely love how I can login whenever I have time and get my star wars fix bascially treating it like a singleplayer game. I do wish they made poo poo like mounts account wide like gw2 so alts didn't feel so lame.

They are account wide, you just have to pay to unlock them. Buy more gems cartel coins dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
when my computer gets back from the shop I'm finally going to sit down and beat every class story