Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Those aren't real. Trump is extremely unpopular and his rallies are empty and the donald has like 2000 posters. Like people in this thread love this weird image trump is popular and strong, or at least has some huge faction of people that love him. He doesn't, he's a failure. He's not popular. His "cultists" is like 20 teens and 100 bots. Even his twitter has less followers than obama's and twitter is trump's whole 'thing'. His support even among people that support him is low.

He has an entire news network and at least 30% of the country behind him, most of whom determine the winner of Republican primaries.

And that rally in Pensacola the other night looked pretty full. No, Trump doesn't have a majority of the country, but he does have a majority of Republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trump might not have literal cultists willing to die for him, but there are plenty of conservatives that want to live in a fantasy world where the GOP is a functioning governing party and not just a ponzi scheme. Those people are checking out of the news because it's all bad but still feel that they understand enough of what's going on to vote Trump and the Republicans again in 2018 and 2020. It's not a rabid, fanatical fan base that's the problem, it's the suburbanites that will vote Republican because it's all they understand how to do and also have been told for decades that they are the smart people that understand the hard choices that have to be made so they think they are informed voters.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Trump has failed and quit literally every single thing he ever has done ever in his life.

And you and I as rational sane people understand that. Donald Trump is not a rational, sane man.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

What if Franken runs for his seat back and MN elects him?

On what ticket? The DNC called for Franken to resign and I don't see the DSCC backing him if he tries to primary Smith.

Franken is many things but he's not stupid. He's done.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Alter Ego posted:

He has an entire news network and at least 30% of the country behind him

And less than a year ago he had 40% of the country. He doesn't have any sort of magical ultra mind controlled cult anymore than anyone else. He's unpopular and growing more unpopular and in a few months you'll post the same thing saying "he has 15% of the country that loves him!"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And less than a year ago he had 40% of the country. He doesn't have any sort of magical ultra mind controlled cult anymore than anyone else. He's unpopular and growing more unpopular and in a few months you'll post the same thing saying "he has 15% of the country that loves him!"

Come talk to me when Fox News turns on him. Spoiler alert: They won't. Ever.

Were it just for the death cult, I'd be less worried, but he is basically a performing monkey who does whatever he thinks will make him more popular with Fox News. They reciprocate by pass-blocking for him at every opportunity. Fox is basically the White House propaganda arm, and unless they come to their senses and turn on Trump, he will retain the support of the vast majority of the Republican Party.

You need to realize that.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 18, 2017

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Alter Ego posted:

How likely is it that Mueller has either Kushner or Dumb Donald Jr in his sights right now? Based on the email release I'd say it was highly likely but I just have no optimism when it comes to any of these things anymore.
100%. Kush is legally exposed as poo poo from his multiple iterations of false SF-86 submissions, even if he never knew a thing about the initial Russia conspiracy. Donny Jr. however is so hosed that he told the House Intelligence Committee that he couldn't reveal a single thing he and Daddy said when crafting their multiple iterations of false cover stories for the June 2016 meeting with the Russians, because somehow attorney-client privilege covers just talking to someone with a lawyer nearby. If this sounds like something an incompetent sovereign citizen mafioso would believe right after they tell you 'legally you have answer if I ask if you're a cop,' then you get the feeling for just how stupid this Watergate truly is.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That thing going around with Ajit Pai slipping into Mia Khalifa's dms is totally fake, right?

Wait, what?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Those aren't real. Trump is extremely unpopular and his rallies are empty and the donald has like 2000 posters. Like people in this thread love this weird image trump is popular and strong, or at least has some huge faction of people that love him. He doesn't, he's a failure. He's not popular. His "cultists" is like 20 teens and 100 bots. Even his twitter has less followers than obama's and twitter is trump's whole 'thing'. His support even among people that support him is low.

But what of the ~100 million people in the 35% of the country that approves of Donald Trump?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/942728059844784129

So here’s my theory:

This week Mueller’s team meets with Trump and lays it all out. They make the case that the people Trump has surrounded himself with have used his ignorance and narcissism for their own illegal gain. They’ll also show how they have Trump dead to rights on money laundering and other pre-election shenanigans. They make him an offer resembling:

- Don’t pardon anyone, let us prosecute.
- Resign
- Shut your loving mouth and disappear into obscurity

They then go to Pence and show him their evidence that he at least lied to the FBI if not participated in various illegal campaign related activities, but tell him they’ll keep it quiet if he:

- doesn’t pardon anyone
- puts together a functional government and keeps his mouth shut

If love to imagine mueller is going to purge he GOP of the money launderers and Russian agents, but I don’t think that’ll happen. I think their goal will be the preservation of a functioning democracy and the removal of the bulk of people actively subverting democracy for personal gain.

This theory is based on my opinion that Trump is at least partly an unwitting stooge. Not innocent, but not fully aware of what the people around him are actually doing.

Edit: they take down Sessions for sure.
Your theory breaks down because Mueller wouldn't trust this to not leak in an administration as leaky as Trump's.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Does there need to be a reason why he's calmer? Apparently they've been telling him it's JUST ABOUT TO WRAP UP for months now, even before all the indictments. Maybe they just presented it particularly persuasively this time. This poo poo is like people trying to interpret why the chicken liver spilled out that way when the oracle gutted it.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Triskelli posted:

But what of the ~100 million people in the 35% of the country that approves of Donald Trump?

I think OoCC just went full Covok2.0, just nod and smile

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/942728059844784129

So here’s my theory:

This week Mueller’s team meets with Trump and lays it all out. They make the case that the people Trump has surrounded himself with have used his ignorance and narcissism for their own illegal gain. They’ll also show how they have Trump dead to rights on money laundering and other pre-election shenanigans. They make him an offer resembling:

- Don’t pardon anyone, let us prosecute.
- Resign
- Shut your loving mouth and disappear into obscurity

They then go to Pence and show him their evidence that he at least lied to the FBI if not participated in various illegal campaign related activities, but tell him they’ll keep it quiet if he:

- doesn’t pardon anyone
- puts together a functional government and keeps his mouth shut

If love to imagine mueller is going to purge he GOP of the money launderers and Russian agents, but I don’t think that’ll happen. I think their goal will be the preservation of a functioning democracy and the removal of the bulk of people actively subverting democracy for personal gain.

This theory is based on my opinion that Trump is at least partly an unwitting stooge. Not innocent, but not fully aware of what the people around him are actually doing.

Edit: they take down Sessions for sure.

I think there is zero chance that the Trumpist voters will let this administration just quietly go away and be replaced with something resembling sanity by the least-guilty people remaining. There will be conspiracy theories about this for a thousand years.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Trump has failed and quit literally every single thing he ever has done ever in his life.

Well, you'd be the expert.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Alter Ego posted:

Fox news is a tv channel. Not some magical magic god wizard spell or something. Fox news has loved him all along and all that has got him is a rapidly shrinking base and the least popular presidency in history. Just let go of the idea he's special or beloved. That seemed like it might be a thing a year ago but it's clearly not. The number of "insane cultists" is tiny. The_donald is not even in the top 100 subreddits.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fox news is a tv channel. Not some magical magic god wizard spell or something. Fox news has loved him all along and all that has got him is a rapidly shrinking base and the least popular presidency in history. Just let go of the idea he's special or beloved. That seemed like it might be a thing a year ago but it's clearly not. The number of "insane cultists" is tiny. The_donald is not even in the top 100 subreddits.

You don't seem to get this: I don't care how tiny Freep or t_d is. The fact remains that Trump does whatever he thinks will generate the most positive headlines at Fox. When they respond with fawning adoration, he gets to claim that CNN and MSNBC are FAKE NEWS because they're not sucking his dick too.

As long as Fox exists to rile up GOP primary death cultists, the GOP will never touch Trump for fear of getting primaried by an insane pizzagater.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alter Ego posted:

Were it just for the death cult, I'd be less worried, but he is basically a performing monkey who does whatever he thinks will make him more popular with Fox News. They reciprocate by pass-blocking for him at every opportunity. Fox is basically the White House propaganda arm, and unless they come to their senses and turn on Trump, he will retain the support of the vast majority of the Republican Party.

You need to realize that.

This, but the Republican Party Propaganda Arm.

Also, he doesn't have 30% of the country, he has like 70+% of the Republican Tribe backing him, and he always will. He's their guy and will be defended through history by bad-faith arguments. Him being impeached or even dying will never diminish his republican presidency in their eyes.

Its not a Trump Cult, it's the Republican Tribe, and they will defend their own. I hate American politics.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

Wait, what?

https://twitter.com/JOE_co_uk/status/942731428248408065

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
You also seem to believe that the Gop losing just 5-7% of its nationwide vote for a couple elections wouldn't absolutely shred them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kozinski out

https://twitter.com/mattzap/status/942755637066457089

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's true that his approval is tanking, but a lot of people who don't "approve of" him still voted for him. Next election they might say enough is enough, but there's truth in the idea that Fox News will placate them just enough to keep their votes. They're not brainwashed, but they're drinking the Kool-aid even though they know it's bad, because they're convinced they need it to survive.

The moral of the story is that big turnout like what happened in VA & AL is still gonna be really important for the foreseeable future.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

This is just loving incredible.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chilichimp posted:

he has like 70+% of the Republican Tribe backing him, and he always will.

Yeah, about that:

He is losing republicans so bad they stop being republicans, he can be king of the republicans if it's him and two other guys. (but his popularity among republicans is also dropping and maybe he isn't strong daddy who always wins because people love him)

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

withak posted:

I think there is zero chance that the Trumpist voters will let this administration just quietly go away and be replaced with something resembling sanity by the least-guilty people remaining. There will be conspiracy theories about this for a thousand years.
I've got good news and good news! First, the kind of people who are Trumpists are prone to believe conspiracy theories anyway, and literally cannot be trained not to fall for them (as well as every scam that comes their way).

The second good news is that they are, to the last person, utter and complete cowards. They'll gnash the hell out of their teeth, but they'll go away because they do what they're told, just like they always have. The central point of being an authoritarian is that you are freed from all that painful thinking bullshit, so once the new font of authority (e.g. Pence) says let's move on, they'll flush Trump down the memory hole and pretend it never happened.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Chilichimp posted:

What if Franken runs for his seat back and MN elects him?

It worked for Preston Brooks, I guess.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, about that:

He is losing republicans so bad they stop being republicans, he can be king of the republicans if it's him and two other guys. (but his popularity among republicans is also dropping and maybe he isn't strong daddy who always wins because people love him)

The more republican who bail, the greater % of total republican support he enjoys.

We're already at the theoretical bottom of his approval right now. If it ever dips into the 20's, it'll be because of a perceived betrayal of conservatism. Depends how unpopular the final tax bill is. If he signs that bill, it might trigger the folks who've bought into the deficit/debt arguments for the last 10 years.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Haha what? Isn't he married with kids? What a garbage human.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, about that:

Dude, your "peopls who argue that Trump has any amount of political pull are actually homosexuals who self-infantilize themselves in their lust for Trump" says a shitload more about you than it does the people you think you're mocking

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Erostratus posted:

Haha what? Isn't he married with kids? What a garbage human.

He is. I'd love for this to be true, but I'm taking it with a gran of salt.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I want it to be Mueller time already

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Goddamnit Mueller just indict Kushner's cat or something so we have some news.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

https://www.huzlers.com/fcc-commissioner-ajit-pai-slides-into-mia-khalifas-dms-she-exposes-him-via-deleted-instagram-post-see-screenshot/

ABOUT US
Huzlers.com is the most infamous fauxtire & satire entertainment website in the world. If it's trending on social media you'll find it here!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Trogdos! posted:

https://www.huzlers.com/fcc-commissioner-ajit-pai-slides-into-mia-khalifas-dms-she-exposes-him-via-deleted-instagram-post-see-screenshot/

ABOUT US
Huzlers.com is the most infamous fauxtire & satire entertainment website in the world. If it's trending on social media you'll find it here!

Goddamn, we can't even trust huzlers.com anymore. What has become of the Fourth Estate?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I'm not buying it. Mia Khalifa loves attention and found a deniable way to get some from the current moment.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Trogdos! posted:

ABOUT US

drat. Still, I saw that Anon doxxed him. His wife should leave him before some nerd swats his house or something. His kids are going to be messed up forever.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chilichimp posted:

The more republican who bail, the greater % of total republican support he enjoys.

No, his support among republicans is dropping AND the number of republicans has been dropping. He is managing to be unpopular enough to do both simultaneously.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Erostratus posted:

drat. Still, I saw that Anon doxxed him. His wife should leave him before some nerd swats his house or something. His kids are going to be messed up forever.

The guy honestly deserves worse, his wife and kids are blameless though and I hope they can sever ties with him safely

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Lesson remains, don't gently caress with the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, about that:

The Virginia state races and the AL special election have made it clear that he is a danger to the party, because he’s depressing turnout among Republicans, while Dems are energized to get out and vote.

• Locked thread