Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

I liked that the Voyager episode with Suder basically implied that a lot of the Maquis were just weirdos looking for an excuse to be violent.
You can see bits of that in the other Maquis characters that show up. Torres drifted into the Maquis after her temper got her kicked out of the Academy, Paris joined up so he could keep being a hotshot pilot after Starfleet dishonorably discharged him for killing a fellow cadet in a training accident and covering it up, and Eddington switched sides after deciding he'd never get to be the big hero if he stayed legit. As for the one-off characters, we do see more than our fair share of Bajorans who still seem to be carrying grudges from the Occupation and couldn't really hack it in peacetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

No it didn't, he gained like 20 pounds in the later seasons of the show, to the point where he called Brannon Braga to ask if the line "promise me we'll start working out more" was some sort of crack and Braga retorted with "you guys keep packing on the pounds and we're gonna have to start calling this show Pigs In Space!"

20 pounds over 7 years isn't so bad; I've put on about 20 pounds every year for the past seven. I guess I need to stop treating egg nog with rum as an all-year breakfast food.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Also wow they rode the rest of those Borg kids out on a rail didn't they. Like whole episodes of Seven becoming a mother figure and insisting they stay aboard while the kids themselves are all "stop trying to find our parents we want to stay here" and then a few weeks later they're shoved out of the show in the cold open "ok we found two of yall's parents and whatever we'll just fob the third one of you off on them too :effort: Now get out before the opening theme starts"

"And you gave them the baby too?"
"The... baby?"
<flash cut to the borg baby floating at the top of the borg fishtank>
"Oh, yeah, sure we did."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MikeJF posted:

"And you gave them the baby too?"
"The... baby?"
<flash cut to the borg baby floating at the top of the borg fishtank>
"Oh, yeah, sure we did."

Lol I forgot about the baby, now I know how the Voyager writers feel.

I like that we get to meet an ordinary Hirogen schlub just going about his day maintaining holodecks instead of "hunt hunt hunt the hunt calls me, joy of the hunt"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Listening to the greatest gen I got a feeling these guys just really don't "get" DS9, at least not yet.

Like they spend a couple minutes today talking about how bad an excuse Nog has concocted saying Vulcans stole his ethics homework, and the whole time I'm thinking "That's the joke!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Man the Doctor seems really...fickle and disloyal to his friends?

Not only was he ready to abandon all his friends forever to be a celebrity on the world that has never heard of music, but now he betrays them to some hologram rebels who almost murder the entire crew.

Wtf how could you ever trust him after that.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

VitalSigns posted:

Man the Doctor seems really...fickle and disloyal to his friends?

Not only was he ready to abandon all his friends forever to be a celebrity on the world that has never heard of music, but now he betrays them to some hologram rebels who almost murder the entire crew.

They did treat him like utter poo poo, though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Computer, delete the Doctor's orneriness subroutine.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Marshal Radisic posted:

You can see bits of that in the other Maquis characters that show up. Torres drifted into the Maquis after her temper got her kicked out of the Academy, Paris joined up so he could keep being a hotshot pilot after Starfleet dishonorably discharged him for killing a fellow cadet in a training accident and covering it up, and Eddington switched sides after deciding he'd never get to be the big hero if he stayed legit. As for the one-off characters, we do see more than our fair share of Bajorans who still seem to be carrying grudges from the Occupation and couldn't really hack it in peacetime.

Yeah, it's clear that the Maquis got co-opted by a bunch of outsiders with their own agendas.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought Janeway recruited Paris straight from his penal colony and he was never Maquis

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I thought Janeway recruited Paris straight from his penal colony and he was never Maquis

This is correct. Paris was in prison for something else.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like how Tuvok burned out of Starfleet due to a crisis of confidence when he had trouble following Sulu's unlawful orders, then like 70 years later when he's going to give Starfleet another try he is immediately assigned as a spy on an outlaw vessel and put under a captain with perhaps the most creative and inconsistent application if Starfleet regs in the franchise.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alec Peters can't stop himself.

From IndieGoGo:

quote:

Now that we are closer to having a revised and locked script, and we are well into pre-production, we are planning our next (and hopefully last!) fundraiser. As you know, the lawsuit with CBS and Paramount drained our coffers of both funds raised from fans and over $100,000 of money Alec personally put into this project to keep it going.

In 2014, we raised $101,000 for The Four Years War, Part III, Prelude to Axanar, which was 20 minutes long. Since we are now making two more episodes, with a total length of 30 minutes, we are hoping to raise $150,000. After we finish these two episodes, we will have everything we need to then fulfill all the donor perks from all 3 campaigns.

Stay tuned for future Donor Updates to give you more details on our fundraising plans.

Bear in mind his settlement with CBS and Paramount specifically prohibited him from crowdfunding another Trek project. Also, :lol: at the lawsuit having "drained their coffers," because their law firm represented them pro bono.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 18, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Why not just rub the serial numbers off the setting like the Orville did.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Then you can't bilk fans.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Yeah, the Orville was made out of love. This Kickstarter project was made to make a quick buck off fans.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Alec Peters can't stop himself.

From IndieGoGo:

Bear in mind his settlement with CBS and Paramount specifically prohibited him from crowdfunding another Trek project. Also, :lol: at the lawsuit having "drained their coffers," because their law firm represented them pro bono.

Christmas came early :getin:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
lol the comments on the Kickstarter page (where he posted the same update) are glorious.

People: You owe us refunds per Kickstarter's terms, because what you're working on now isn't what we agreed to back, you used our money for things we didn't agree to back, and you're literally unable to do what it is we agreed to back.

Peters: You can't have a refund, it was a donation and not a purchase.

There are also people calling out the "the lawsuit drained our coffers" lie.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194429923/star-trek-axanar/comments

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Peters is also saying that they don't have to give refunds as long as they can prove they're still working on Axanar.

And apparently Prelude is "Part III" of their series, so the two episodes they're legally allowed to make will be ... prequels to a prequel?

Dude can't stop putting his foot in his mouth.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It's a scaaaaaaaaaaaam

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Jesus, I had forgotten about this.

We need Admiral Akbar saying "It's a scam!" here. I think the fact that he's from Star Wars makes it appropriate.

This all reminds me of something that happened fairly locally. See, there's this big brand called "The North Face." They have an iconic logo, and they sell cloth wrappings for all makes and models of douche bags. Well, some smartass in the general St. Louis area thought it was just as douchey as it is, so he created a spoof logo. Imagine the North Face's logo upside-down. He added "The South Butt" in the same font, and had some shirts printed up. They were sold in a few local shops.

Well, they were sued by The North Face, because of loving course they were. The "genius" behind the plan, who turned out to be a teenager or something, and his dad eventually ended up settling the case... and then promptly created The Butt Face, did everything they promised not to do in the settlement, and got sued again. The public was sympathetic the first time, because The South Butt is a little funny. But when they reneged on their settlement agreement, their pleas for sympathy didn't find welcoming ears.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Faith of the Heart is such a catchy song goddamit get this out of my head.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Frionnel posted:

Faith of the Heart is such a catchy song goddamit get this out of my head.

Don't worry, nothing's going to bend or break you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So this is apparently a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzQe4sqjZT8

Starring Dakota Fanning and Patton Oswalt. Comes out next month.

I wonder if they had to get permission from Paramount or CBS or whoever, or if this counts as fair use.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I am very pleased that Deep Space 9 got namedropped in that.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Mountaineer posted:

Yeah, it's clear that the Maquis got co-opted by a bunch of outsiders with their own agendas.
Nah, Paris was totally Maquis. He just got himself captured on his first mission and Starfleet charged him with treason. In "Caretaker" Chakotay was pissy with him for seemingly selling them down the river for a pardon.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Two more hours until All Good things. Can't believe this is almost over.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Two more hours until All Good things. Can't believe this is almost over.

It's a bittersweet moment for us all

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The episode title takes on extra meaning for us all, today

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

The episode title takes on extra meaning for us all, today

Luckily in this case this good thing just transitions to DS9 and ends up getting even better.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder if they had to get permission from Paramount or CBS or whoever, or if this counts as fair use.

Um...no, thanks.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It doesn't look bad, but it looks like a movie you have on in the background and don't pay much attention to since it's extremely predictable

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Also, :lol: at the lawsuit having "drained their coffers," because their law firm represented them pro bono.

How the hell did he pull that one off? Was one of the partners a personal friend or something??

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I’m here for All Good Things.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Powered Descent posted:

You neglected to mention Alice Eve.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Got my Earl Grey. Got the video loaded. Here we go. Watching All Good Things.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Got my Earl Grey. Got the video loaded. Here we go. Watching All Good Things.

It's been a long road getting from there to here.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

There's no way the holodeck program Troi and Worf were in wasn't sexual.

Lol "very stimulating"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf's fears about what Riker would think continue to be adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard just cockblocked em in his low neckline robe