Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Seen it twice and I really like it. There’s a lot more substance than it was in TFA. Some bits were less than great, and some bits were downright stupid. But I’m the end I really enjoyed it. I grew up on the SE-97 versions of the OT and prefer them over the original cuts though, so clearly I’m insane when you ask most SW puritans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Today's wahlording unroll

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/942753856332685312.html

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Phi230 posted:

I really cannot wait to read CIG's Answer

CIG have already answered Skadden and his upstart junior legal team. Ortwin personally rebuked them . The were told to gently caress off basically with this frivolous nonsense and that CIG would be coming after Crytek for any costs incurred . Job done , now on with some more mopping motion capture.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

EminusSleepus posted:

To be considered that your game is epic at least one character should be in Ready Player One.

Let me check...

Wing commander..... Nope
Star citizen.... Nope

Chris Roberts is in Ready Player One, and he sure is a character.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

ManofManyAliases posted:

- Game is still in development
- 400+ people can't all be wrong
- It was a pledge God drat-it.

- :negative:

A beautiful, longing cover for you to enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5NsiwGWUWA

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Pick a minor (or even player) faction in ED and support it by doing whatever missions you fancy that are on offer from a central station where you can stash your ships and bits, that works for me.

I'll give X3 a try because I think building up your power over time to build a fleet/merchant empire or whatever is more rewarding than just grinding for the next ship in E:D.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Drogo posted:

wait seriously?

going to the movies is expensive these days, and rarely worth it even though they added reclining seats

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

- Game is still in development
- 400+ people can't all be wrong
- It was a pledge God drat-it.

- :negative:

-LOL
-Yes they most certainly can
-LOL so was Chris's when he asked for money to make a game

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

:same:

except the R2 scene I forgive as it seemed to be a deliberate prod at the endless nostalgia.

>hyperspace attacks? Why didn't they hyperspace a ship into every other Imperial fleet ever?)

Yeah wtf was that. It looked cool but falls apart with more than 2 seconds thought. Why aren't the rebellion just using a fleet of cheap junkers as incredibly powerful missiles? Are we to believe that lady was the first to think of it (also - someone needs to pilot so you can escape! Ya loving kidding me, hyperspace but no autopilot? At least say the autopilot is broken)? Will everyone be doing it in the next movie (probably not because reasons)? You can go as wacky as you like with a fantasy world but it's gotta have rules.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 18, 2017

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

EightAce posted:

CIG have already answered Skadden and his upstart junior legal team. Ortwin personally rebuked them . The were told to gently caress off basically with this frivolous nonsense and that CIG would be coming after Crytek for any costs incurred . Job done , now on with some more mopping motion capture.

#Ortwinning

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The commodification of nostalgia is probably the worst thing to ever happen to American media and oddly enough this category includes star citizen

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Those silly childrens over at the 4chans.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Sarsapariller posted:

Uh, honest answer here- I'd like to say I'm not a fanboy because I don't have any great love for the franchise. But I've been consuming Star Wars related junk for the better part of my adult life, when I think about it. I've seen all the movies and played most of the games from Dark Forces through to that Kotor MMO. I've even read a few of the expanded universe books, to my regret. I don't have a single piece of SW branded merchandise in my house and I don't think I've ever been particularly thrilled by any of it, so- take from that what you will.

The new movie is bad in the same way that most modern blockbusters are bad. It's a lot of money and talent poured into what is, in the end, a soulless corporate product. For all of George Lucas' faults, there was some glimmer of authorial intent in the originals that just isn't present here. You can feel the demographic marketing in every scene this movie. The porgs, the little nun-aliens, the moment at the end where the little boy holds up a broom handle and it reflects just like a lightsaber. See, kids? Star Wars is for you too! Hey look, R2 is playing the princess Leia tape to Luke again! Remember that, olds? Please keep it relevant for another 20 years or so, we need a return on our investment!

It is cluttered with contradictory morals that don't go anywhere- forget your past, remember the past, don't be a hero, heroism is actually saving other people not killing your enemies, it doesn't matter who your parents were, it absolutely matters who your parents were, the rebellion is dead, the rebellion is alive, etc. etc. Most of the cast run around with little to no effect on the outcome of the movie. The stakes are muddled and unclear- despite winning in the last movie, the rebels are on the run and losing badly in this one- more or less exactly how the original episode 2 was set up, but for no particular reason this time. None of the tactical decisions make any sense, new technologies and weapons are introduced that completely upend the established history of the universe (hyperspace tracking? hyperspace attacks? Why didn't they hyperspace a ship into every other Imperial fleet ever?). There's a bit of handwave to a bunch of fan theories about why the Force is such a crapsack deal for everyone, but then the movie forgets about that and everyone goes back to using it. Luke is rewritten in a way that irritated a lot of fans but didn't bother me all that much- apparently he took 10 years off because he tried to murder a kid and failed, so the best thing to do was go hide instead of fix his mistake or apologize I guess?

Anyway it's perfectly serviceable if you just want to see a few spaceships get blowed up real good. And it'll make a billion dollars and propel the franchise forward by another few years. But much like the big super hero tent pole movies, I think I'm just burned out on the whole thing. Give me something with a little heart, you know? Give me something that feels like an entire self contained story instead of just the latest installment in a serial franchise that feels like we've seen it all before.

SPOILER YOUR STAR WARS STUFF PLEEZ!
Some of us haven't seen it.
:pgabz::pgabz::pgabz::pgabz::pgabz:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
it's time for the scam to end.
--chris roberts, meeting sandi in the kilrathi cave

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Then you have Jared Huckaby, who will also have to answer questions as to how a convicted burgler who did time & parole, ended up being the face of what has turned out to be the most toxic community in gaming.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

Seen it twice and I really like it. There’s a lot more substance than it was in TFA. Some bits were less than great, and some bits were downright stupid. But I’m the end I really enjoyed it. I grew up on the SE-97 versions of the OT and prefer them over the original cuts though, so clearly I’m insane when you ask most SW puritans.

I second this actually.

My favorite star wars movie was ESB which, in the ancient tales of my dad, was also rather critically viewed by the audience back in the days.

Ultimately you have to ask yourself, does it matter what other people think about the eighth (ninth) addition to a movie series when it ultimately comes down to your own reflection on your childhood memories and how this all fits into it?

I liked it more than TFA and a lot more than the PT.

EightAce posted:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The man payed his debt to society. You either believe in the justice system we have as being just or you realize that it is in fact a vengeance based system and justice is never really served at all with a debt that can never really be repaid no matter how much you keep paying for it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dogeh posted:

SPOILER YOUR STAR WARS STUFF PLEEZ!
Some of us haven't seen it.
:pgabz::pgabz::pgabz::pgabz::pgabz:

You think you haven't, but you have.

(But I will go back and spoiler it)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

The man payed his debt to society. You either believe in the justice system we have as being just or you realize that it is in fact a vengeance based system and justice is never really served at all with a debt that can never really be repaid no matter how much you keep paying for it.
this sounds like a lot of mechanics for something still in alpha

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Combat Theory posted:

I second this actually.

My favorite star wars movie was ESB which, in the ancient tales of my dad, was also rather critically viewed by the audience back in the days.

Ultimately you have to ask yourself, does it matter what other people think about the eighth (ninth) addition to a movie series when it ultimately comes down to your own reflection on your childhood memories and how this all fits into it?

I liked it more than TFA and a lot more than the PT.

I've checked out of star wars after Rogue One.

There are actually a lot of similarities between new Stars Wars movies and CIG selling jpeg ships. Everyone keeps coming back to the well hoping for something great only to be disappointing.

At this point they're destroying the legacy of episode 4 and 5 (the only really good ones) with these new corporate hollywood bloated budget time wastes. At the end of the day it's really about one thing: Disney Inc maximizing shareholder value. Sorry nerds.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

TheAgent posted:

this sounds like a lot of mechanics for something still in alpha

Maybe it's time to move your justice system into beta then.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

There's a two week grace period after a general release before you start posting spoilers.

We're not barbarians.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

You think you haven't, but you have.

(But I will go back and spoiler it)

Sarsa's critique is 100% on point from what I've been hearing. Some are saying it's the worst one of them all. Sad.

I saw TFA and didn't think it was that good (no surprise! JJ Abrams lol). Came back for Rogue One hoping for something different. It wasn't. Save your money.

Like the terrible DC films here's how you fix it: back up a semi truck of about 1 billion dollars onto Chris Nolan's yard and ask (no beg!) him to just take over this mess. Ugh.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
star war was fine but not even close to perfect but if you're not a horrible broken nerdman you can enjoy it for what it is

it has its fair share of problems but I think its biggest problem at this point is its own fanbase

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Dusty Lens posted:

There's a two week grace period after a general release before you start posting spoilers.

We're not barbarians.

lol. In Eve Online Pandemic Legion changes the names of their stations to big spoiler points in big movies so people flying by see it. For example "Kylo Ren kills his father Han Solo." lol . They're just hoping for nerd tears in chat.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also for some reason I started watching something on netflix called kantaro the sweet tooth salaryman and I think it made more sense than parts of TLJ

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bayonnefrog posted:

Still the the most compelling exchange in this whole saga and really ground zero for the anti-SC v SC people and the reason why I really got interested in this whole story. It was all to incredible. Here you have a paying customer (backer) laying out his arguments as to why he feels there are huge issues with how long the game is taking and why so little has been done and your #1 marketing person can't answer them at all except to get personal and defense. Utterly incredible and completely unprofessional. How could one customer service exchange cause them to get so unhinged? Because the insights Beer provides hit too close to home I think.

For someone claiming to be "the best salesperson in the world" (another incredible line and hilarious) she certainly did a terrible job of it in those emails. Instead of trying to sell it basically personally attacked a guy for having a different opinion. And for people wondering why the SC is toxic and insular it's because the top people leading the project (Sandi and Chris) are themselves as we just saw. Beer asking legit questions and she takes it all personal and basically tells him to f off.

Skadden will have a heyday with these people.

The part that I particularly appreciate is that the entire CS exchange started off as me asking why I was banned. Any competent customer service team would have reviewed the request, responded with a very simple answer, and either corrected the action or affirmed their position. A competent community management team would have never let it get to that point, as there would be no subjectivity in the rules or they would have taken advantage of the situation to make an example of me, refund everything, and simply state "given Beer4TheBeerGod's actions outside of this community we no longer wish to have him as a customer." Boom, done, move on. They can do that, it galvanizes the community and ostracizes me, and we all move on. As usual they're not sufficiently competent to do that and then Sandi made the mistake of expanding the scope of the conversation and allow me an opportunity to air my grievances. So I did, and she made the mistake of responding to them without any consideration of the consequences of doing so. She made her personal feelings known, repeatedly displaying an egregious lack of respect for the customers who are funding her lifestyle and an almost dismissive attitude towards some very real and very serious problems with the development, and did so assuming that I would keep those feelings to myself. This lack of professionalism should come as no surprise to a company that secretly labels their customers as "special snowflakes" or links to external information as part of their internal customer service system.

You're right about this being ground zero; it's a perfect litmus test for how someone views Star Citizen and what side of an increasingly sharp divide they fall on. Either they read that and think that CIG is run by incompetent amateurs, or they read it and get angry that I violated common decency by sharing a private communication. The latter interpretation is particularly interesting because they completely ignore the contents to focus on what they perceive to be a personal attack, which is why having a reasonable conversation is nearly impossible. You saw the same thing with Erris and INN when they accused me of fabricating the whole thing and then completely disappeared when I called them out and offered to provide any reasonable evidence demonstrating its validity. They don't care about the truth, they only care about how to reinforce what they already know. This whole fiasco has actually gone a long way towards helping me understand why politics, religion, and attitudes in general are so entrenched.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

TheAgent posted:

star war was fine but not even close to perfect but if you're not a horrible broken nerdman you can enjoy it for what it is

it has its fair share of problems but I think its biggest problem at this point is its own fanbase

nerd poo poo in a nutshell

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Amarcarts posted:

Just heard about the lawsuit. Interestingly it would seem like neither company has enough money for any kind of prolonged legal action.

Where's this "Crytek is broke" storyline coming from anyways ? Honnest question.

I know they've had financial difficulties a few years ago, but then they got a $70M cash inflow from Amazon, so I'd say right now they should be doing fine, aren't they ?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It’s kind of shocking that all the kids who got their poo poo beaten up for liking Star Wars when they were in elementary school somehow finangled everyone into thinking Star Wars is good all thanks to YouTube and podcasts and Disney

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

There are enough reasons to point and laugh at these dummies without bringing up irrelevant criminal records. It's best if former convicts are not shunned and excluded from society for the rest of their lives.

Being involved in the star citizen community is far more shameful.

Also Derek, I wouldn't be so quick to link to that refunds poster offering to pay filing fees. That seems mildly loving shady to me. £25 a pop adds up. I don't believe they aren't looking to get something out of it.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 18, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jason Sextro posted:

nerd poo poo in a nutshell

This is also why, even if things weren't impossibly hosed and CIG was an injunction away from being proper hosed, Star Citizen would ultimately fail. Expectations are too high and the kind of people who obsess over something to this level inevitably get disappointed.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bayonnefrog posted:

I've checked out of star wars after Rogue One.

There are actually a lot of similarities between new Stars Wars movies and CIG selling jpeg ships. Everyone keeps coming back to the well hoping for something great only to be disappointing.

At this point they're destroying the legacy of episode 4 and 5 (the only really good ones) with these new corporate hollywood bloated budget time wastes. At the end of the day it's really about one thing: Disney Inc maximizing shareholder value. Sorry nerds.

I saw TFA in theaters and it wasn't bad for a generic space opera deal, but between Aaron Allston dying and taking the last hope for any sort of not-poo poo EU book with him and Disney throwing out the baby with the bathwater EU-wise and removing every character that my born-in-the-late-80s generation literally grew up with, it had a lot to prove and it...didn't. Oh well.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nyast posted:

Where's this "Crytek is broke" storyline coming from anyways ? Honnest question.

I know they've had financial difficulties a few years ago, but then they got a $70M cash inflow from Amazon, so I'd say right now they should be doing fine, aren't they ?
they actually have the entire turkish government bankrolling them now

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/55627/crytek-receive-500m-investment-turkish-gov/index.html

so yeah, no, crytek isn't hurting for money.

at all

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Nyast posted:

About a year ago.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-20-crytek-breaks-silence-lets-go-of-multiple-studios

Their lawsuit has been underways for about a year.... :thunk:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheAgent posted:

I enjoyed the new ghostbusters, nerds come at me

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

Totally and he wouldn't be the first burglar to help a fellowship.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I enjoyed the new ghostbusters, nerds come at me
tbf that was p bad and I was hoping it would be just a better movie overall

then again I have almost zero nostalgia for ghostbusters besides the nutty 80s sunday morning cartoon

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Wars review

Good post. Haven’t seen the film but you really nailed what I don’t like about what Hollywood blockbusters have turned into in the last 10-15 years.

A lot of the tech nerds at work get legit excited at The New Film. Disney know their audience, and are superb at marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheAgent posted:

tbf that was p bad and I was hoping it would be just a better movie overall

then again I have almost zero nostalgia for ghostbusters besides the nutty 80s sunday morning cartoon

i'm pretty sure at least half my enjoyment comes from egging on the shrieking hordes that demand the 80s comedy movies involving a 300 foot tall marshmallow mascot be Treated More Seriously