Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Filthy Monkey posted:

I definitely was picking up the increased polymorph duration talent.

With butcher I've found more success generally not soaking myself, but instead trying to gank people soaking lanes. If they extend out a little too far, particularly if they aren't at full health, running at them and trying to hack their precious face meat off will sometimes net a kill.

With most heroes, your CC is more about timing than duration or engaging. You sound like you're doing the exact right timing for a gank - once they're over extended - but you don't need to open up with a charge. You'll likely be mounted and have a bush approach that's sneaky, so you can just stroll up, hamstring, and start swinging. Then they'll try to leave, but ho hey you still have your charge and your hamstring is off cooldown.

With BW, wait until the hyper carry is out of position, maybe after they've engaged and popped an ult.

Sounds like you're learning well. BW depends on her build quite a lot, so def check out hotslogs for her shield (Z) build vs. her bribe / pixie build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I think most of the Brightwingpoints have been covered, but I'd like to note you can Blink Heal to minions so you can use it as an escape, or alternatively use it to catch up to allies and help secure a kill. You can also Z to Misha (important knowledge)!

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Seebach posted:

Win or lose I’m having too much fun as Hanjo

Same here, honestly. And it has been about two losses per win so far, but so much drat fun.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
what did they do to leoric

my precious skellybonk boi

he's so fragile now

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
He's always been easy to burst down. Unless you are getting healed or late game

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
I never wanna play Cursed Hollow again

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

The one thing I hate about cursed hollow is if the stars align right for a team you can lose like 5 structures and go down 4 levels in 45 seconds. And this is at the 10 minute mark. You can argue that if you win 3 straight tributes and get boss at the right time you deserve that huge bonus, but it can be such a chain effect. Like oh, they're going to hit level 10, 15 seconds before us and this is curse trib. Guess they get curse and boss and everything.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Nova is loving broken. This isn't healthy.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Everyone thinks the new stealth heroes are OP except Samuro.

Poor Samuro.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Samuro feels better to play now at least.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Had some dude first pick Tyrande who waited 1 min into the game to start going 'gg no damage'. When I pointed out that he's the damage he got mad and said he's the healer. He ended with half the healing of a Tassadar and less damage than anyone.

Although Tass seems like a bad 2nd support when Tyrande is already picked.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

What was the rest of the group

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Seebach posted:

Nova is loving broken. This isn't healthy.

Except if you're on Towers and they act like a bot and never join team fights or grab empty altars while the opponent team is engaged elsewhere.

...ask me how my placement matches are going.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

I think I actually have a good idea of how they’re going

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Seebach posted:

What was the rest of the group

We went: Tyrande, Artanis, Hanzo, Tass, Anub (me). Enemies went: KT, Arthas, Jaina, Naz, Auriel.

On spider queen. Figured swaps on my stuns would work out but nothing did.

edit: just had it happen again, no healer or tank coming in to the final picks, dude slam picks tassadar so i get to choose between no healer or no tank...unranked draft is real wonky today.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 18, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In that situation I think you should pick a healer. It's more important than tank.

Or go both with holy shock Uther. :getin:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I got two more free heroes to five today on my newbie quest.

Kael'Thas - Reasonably fun. Won 4/7 of the games it took me to get to 5. I like that he has some waveclear, though he is definitely squishy. I couldn't find any actual sustain in his tree. I was going for the convection quest, which while useful, does seem like kind of a gamble. Most games I was able to complete it, but I always had to play extremely conservatively until it was done.

Pyroblast is a fun ultimate, and definitely nabbed me some kills, but I am not sure it is a favorite. Overall though, when it comes to mages I think like Gul'dan more for his sustain mechanics. Gul'dan's ultimate seems better for those late-game teamfights too.

Sgt. Hammer - Won 3/6 matches it took to get to 5. Very much a different type of hero. I went with an auto-attack focused siege build, as it seemed to be the most common on hotslogs. I like the sustain that heal on auto-attack brings a lot. Good at clearing waves. The lack of mobility is rough though, and can definitely lead to trouble. When I was playing Kael'Thas, I did a lot of double convection flamestriking opposing hammers. Likewise, I found playing vs the butcher a challenge. It is easy to do damage solo in a lane if the enemy doesn't contest you well.

I do like her giant cannon shell ultimate quite a decent bit. In the last game I played, I managed to kill two two enemies directly with it in a teamfight, and weaken the third enough to be finished off by a couple autoattacks.

Overall though, I don't see either one of those heroes as being favorites of mine. Of the assassins I've leveled, I do prefer Butcher, Lunara, Greymane, and Gul'dan to both of them.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Kael'Thas - Reasonably fun. Won 4/7 of the games it took me to get to 5. I like that he has some waveclear, though he is definitely squishy. I couldn't find any actual sustain in his tree. I was going for the convection quest, which while useful, does seem like kind of a gamble. Most games I was able to complete it, but I always had to play extremely conservatively until it was done.
Mana addict is often the better talent. You don't have to go back as much for mana and it gives you a much-needed defensive tool. Also if I ping a KT with convection stacks that's out of position, my team will almost always drop what they're doing and squad up for a quick gank.

KT is a terror at bronze-silver because people don't dodge flamestrikes and constantly spread living bombs.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gobbeldygook posted:

KT is a terror at bronze-silver because people don't dodge flamestrikes and constantly spread living bombs.

This is not unique to Bronze/Silver.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Started off this 3rd placement session 6-0. Hopefully they won't reset this one too, cause in in for a good rank boost :D

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Filthy Monkey posted:

Pyroblast is a fun ultimate, and definitely nabbed me some kills, but I am not sure it is a favorite. Overall though, when it comes to mages I think like Gul'dan more for his sustain mechanics. Gul'dan's ultimate seems better for those late-game teamfights too.

To be fair Gul'Dan is like a top tier mage, he's one of those characters that...I don't know if I'd say you can slampick him into everything, but off the top of my head it's hard to think of a situation where you'd be unhappy if he was one of your DPS picks. He's got phenomenal waveclear, great damage if you can land Corruption bursts, high sustain that means you rarely if ever have to hearth if you play your cards right, and a game-changing ult.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pyroblast is KevinThas's worse ult, I think. The area denial and push potential that Phoenix offers is too good to ignore. All PB does is damage, and Kael'Thas is already pretty good at that. However, other than D-buffing his Q's or E's, he doesn't have a lot of area control. Phoenix is the king of keeping an area secure from melee attackers, and wouldn't you know it, there's a lot of areas that you'd like to keep secure in most maps. Also, Mana Addict or his other Level 1 Talent are what you want ,not Convection. Fan puts it better than I can, but 4% damage is always going to be there for you, whereas it's going to take you a while to build up Flamestrike. While Fury of the Sunwell Convection talented Q's are strong, it takes a long time for him to get there, when otherwise he could be contributing damage throughout the game without the threat of being ganked one hit away from popping the quest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bogart posted:

Pyroblast is KevinThas's worse ult, I think. The area denial and push potential that Phoenix offers is too good to ignore. All PB does is damage, and Kael'Thas is already pretty good at that. However, other than D-buffing his Q's or E's, he doesn't have a lot of area control. Phoenix is the king of keeping an area secure from melee attackers, and wouldn't you know it, there's a lot of areas that you'd like to keep secure in most maps. Also, Mana Addict or his other Level 1 Talent are what you want ,not Convection. Fan puts it better than I can, but 4% damage is always going to be there for you, whereas it's going to take you a while to build up Flamestrike. While Fury of the Sunwell Convection talented Q's are strong, it takes a long time for him to get there, when otherwise he could be contributing damage throughout the game without the threat of being ganked one hit away from popping the quest.

yeah but on the other hand pyroblast is a button that feels REALLY good to press

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Sindai posted:

In that situation I think you should pick a healer. It's more important than tank.

Or go both with holy shock Uther. :getin:

Yeah, in the next game in basically the same situation we went: Valla, Rexxar, Illidan, Tassadar. I had Arthas highlighted since the other team had a Kharazim solo healing and a greymane. But the dude went from highlighting nothing to suddenly picking Tass so I went with Malfurian. Ended up winning.

I checked hotslogs because I've been having real wonky UD games, like people just not knowing what the characters even are. I know their mmr thing is bs, but it's got me at 1200 points above the tass guy and 300-500 above everyone else in the screwy games. Guess it's just start of the season strangeness.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

SirSamVimes posted:

yeah but on the other hand pyroblast is a button that feels REALLY good to press

It's always fun to just say "gently caress you" to someone and have them deleted

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bogart posted:

Also, Mana Addict or his other Level 1 Talent are what you want ,not Convection. Fan puts it better than I can, but 4% damage is always going to be there for you, whereas it's going to take you a while to build up Flamestrike.
Newbies should 100% only ever take Convection. It forces you to learn how to position as a mage, and how to not die. It's an amazing learning tool.

Spudd posted:

It's always fun to just say "gently caress you" to someone and have them deleted
Unless they're one of the 50% of the cast who can mitigate it in part or in full
(ahem, ice block
protected
blink-disjoint
shield
recall
any spell armor+
any general armor+
bubble
wraith walk
burrow
bye bye*
ogre shield
probably others?), or if the enemy team has a healer that can do likewise. It's a bad ult 90% of team comps.

*okay time out is better here but I included that in ice block

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

If you play mostly QM then you will have at least 2 good targets for Pyroblast every game guaranteed.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Was in a game yesterday with an enemy Nova wreaking havoc on us, and our Abathur would not let it go that "Nova hasn't changed." "I don't know what you guys are complaining about, Nova is exactly the same." "Her kit hasn't changed at all, she's the same." "Zera and Valeera are scary now, Nova is the same character."

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Bogart posted:

I think Phoenix is better in 90% of the games but I've seen games where Kael had a lot of soft enemy targets, no hard interrupts on the Pyro (like Medivh shield, or Tass escape, or anything), or hard burst healing and he just orders up kills with that thing like he's got an appetizer menu in front of him and it's so demoralizing.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

In that same vein it feels so loving good to pyroblast a valla kt Gul’dan etc when they think they have gotten away

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Someone was mean i game to me and my team. Then they sent an angry pm and called me a slur! Who does that!?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

Someone was mean i game to me and my team. Then they sent an angry pm and called me a slur! Who does that!?

You're playing against moba players

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Charles Bukowski posted:

https://youtu.be/6jQkxsEbnS4

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Didn't they make blink disjointing pyro no longer possible?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I did it about 5 weeks ago, and I don't remember reading anything about it since then.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

oh great, a brawl that takes 30+ min. great fun.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

SirSamVimes posted:

Didn't they make blink disjointing pyro no longer possible?

I did it on Muradin a few days ago. It's been a mechanic in Dota forever, so I don't think they would delete it now.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
What counts as a Versus AI Game? I got the quest yesterday to play 3 games versus AI (just started playing), did three games under the Versus AI tab on the top left, set to Co-op and Adept difficult (default options) but none of them counted for the quest.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

nessin posted:

What counts as a Versus AI Game? I got the quest yesterday to play 3 games versus AI (just started playing), did three games under the Versus AI tab on the top left, set to Co-op and Adept difficult (default options) but none of them counted for the quest.
It's been bugged and unable to be completed for months.

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/7kcxk4/with_the_versus_ai_quest_being_bugged_for_months/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You do get legitimate vs AI quests on a new account but coop should certainly count for those. I guess you're just one of the lucky few.