Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

glitchkrieg posted:

What’s the gossip about Dark Sphere? I hope I don’t have to put them on my boycott list.

Someone claiming to be a Dark Sphere staffer posted a lot of insider info about the store on /tg in which they noted three broad areas of lovely practice. Mostly the serious accusations are around the store owner and his mother (?) being at best passive-aggressive incompetents and at worst outright workplace bullies. They also alleged withholding of pay and the threat of withholding pay on flimsy pretexts. Finally they indicated that the store routinely breaches their retailer agreement by selling GW products to non-EU customers and that this would result in them losing their relationship with GW. This would appear to be a big deal as about one third to half of the store’s shelf space is dedicated to GW products and it’s clear they do a lot of trade with GW fans.

This is all unsubstantiated as it’s just forum gossip but a lot of people felt that the allegations against the store owners in particular had a lot of resonance with their own experience of being a customer at the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Corrode posted:

Trying to write lists for a 1500pt, no named characters tournament at my local. Holy gently caress 1500 feels so restrictive in 8th.

Y’know I haven’t played a game of 8th above 1500. My group of friends really find that to be the sweet spot, and also play plenty of 1000 pt games. I see almost all the battle reports on YouTube being done at 2000 - while I enjoy the spectacle, it does impose a different logic on the game. You are more likely to annihilate your key target(s) if you go first, for example. Units which are small, light or fragile seem to have less effect since they will be taken out by mass after they do one thing. 1500 for life, imo.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

1200pts patrol only index only :shepicide:

Well this is just nuts though. Not sure I could do it with imperial guard. Maybe tank commanders and max scion squads in troops?

Fake edit: oh I could take vehicles in 3s of course. And a max bullgryn Squad if that didn’t fill it. But still, I couldn’t take a normal IG list in that format.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Yeah, my local meta has begun to settle around 1500 and I really like it because games are much faster, turn 1 alpha shooting is less devastating and you still get a lot of 'flavor' in terms of how you build your army.

A 7 or 8 man squad of my Dire Avengers managed to eliminate an entire 8-man squad of Chosen yesterday... on overwatch. It was kind of incredible and sort of turned the game because it ensured all my dudes didn't get tar-pitted, and murdered, and could run around securing stuff. It was the craziest round of overwatch ever, 5+ w/ re-rolling 1's is no joke.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Genghis Cohen posted:

Both the superheavies and special characters things boil down to talking to your opponent and being on the same level of expectations for the game, at the end of the day.

Yeah, and that's why I lean towards concede. There's nothing wrong with saying 'Well, I don't have an answer to that at all, GG you won turn 0' if you forsee that fighting it out is going to be a shitshow and don't want to.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Do Shrykes still exist with the new Tyranid Codex making no reference to them?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Natural 20 posted:

Do Shrykes still exist with the new Tyranid Codex making no reference to them?

If they're in the index then yes, otherwise no.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Corrode posted:

If they're in the index then yes, otherwise no.

Ah good, I was going to be quite upset with the amount of time I spent sticking wings onto a bunch of warriors.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

Ah good, I was going to be quite upset with the amount of time I spent sticking wings onto a bunch of warriors.

And by time, I mean money, paying someone else to do it for me.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I noticed there has been a little debate over Lords of War. I agree that certain Lords of War can really unbalance a match. I will say that there definitely certain strategies that can be used to get around some. People seem to complain about Guilliman a lot, but I’d contend that he isnt nearly a game breaker than something in the realm of a Baneblade if you don’t show up with the right tools.

The baneblade variants all had their points reduced, lethality raised, and shortcomings dropped in the form of no longer suffering movement penalties. At 20+ wounds and Toughness 8 and immunity to being locked in combat (along with a hit on 2+ in combat stratagem) these guys really can be brutal, especially if your table lacks proper terrain. Even then with 12 inch movement they aren’t exactly immobile.

Contrast this with Guilliman who rightfully can no longer be screened by other characters (this is significant) and is most effective in melee and requires at least his own weight in points of additional guns to get anything out of his reroll bubble. The best ways to handle Guilliman is focus down the units he is supporting, and placing objective markers in the upper flows of buildings where he literally can’t go, because he is a Monstrous creature.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
LoW should be apocalypse only for matched play but no way is GW gonna discourage people from buying their most expensive, headline toys.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Baneblade variants are the biggest offenders imo. They should all be 50+ points more. Falling back and firing is fine, but it's pretty gross that even locking them in combat doesn't stop them firing.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Entropy238 posted:

I'm still a noob at 40K, but wouldn't the GSC Psychic Power Mass Hypnosis be an effective counter to this? (WC 7. A visible unit within 18" can't Overwatch, Fights last even if it charges, and suffers -1 to hit)

I brought a GSC Supreme Command Detachment of 3 Magi last game and was able to nullify overwatch on all of his auto-hit weapons. It's insanely good.
According to matched play rules, this can only be successfully cast one per turn right?

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I have also really discovered the key weakness with Genestealer Cult (but applicable to any glass cannon assault forces): any squad is a single 2CP activation away from being merc'd right off the table before doing a lick of damage. T3 5+ has to strike first in all cases or it'll be a total waste of points. I've repeatedly run into this scenario:

I hear you about GSC being so weak. I know 8th edition is less snowflakey but GSC need something to even the odds, not just lower points values. I wonder if a rule like what they have for whips right now would help (always fight no matter what if they die). Wouldn't help survivability but it would help once you get there. A hit modifier showing how stealthy they are would help but they're pretty toxic and not fun to play against. I dunno

I think in the case of 2CP fight now, they can only do it once per turn, right?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Since 8E I've never had any issue killing things like Imperial Knights or Wraithknights with casual lists. My Hierodule also never really fared very well either. However to make the most out of these those units you need to get stuck in - they can't sit at the back of your deployment zone behind a screen.

Baneblades on the other hand will quite happily entrench themselves and still be fully effective, while costing the same or fewer points than their counterparts. That leads to taking multiple in a single list, which in turn means an opponent needs to start list tailoring in order to either out-shoot them, or strip away screening units to get in close before they get zapped.

Points fixes to Baneblades would go a long way to rectifying LOW complaints.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah the stratagem is after a charging unit, you can immediately fight (i.e. at least one charger always fights first). Like all stratagems, in matched play you can only use it once a phase.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Uroboros posted:

Contrast this with Guilliman who rightfully can no longer be screened by other characters (this is significant) and is most effective in melee and requires at least his own weight in points of additional guns to get anything out of his reroll bubble. The best ways to handle Guilliman is focus down the units he is supporting, and placing objective markers in the upper flows of buildings where he literally can’t go, because he is a Monstrous creature.

That's what I did to neuter Guilliman this weekend.

However, I always play objectives have infinite height. You should, too. It really helps with units like RG for scoring.

Lords of War: they're great when both sides have one. For casual games, where the objective is usually have as much fun as possible, I never bring one unless I know my opponent plans to. As far as tournaments go, I would consider bringing one in games of 2000+ points, but I honestly prefer the utility of multiple cheaper units. Baneblades are pretty nasty, but they're susceptible to anything S9 or higher. I always lose mine to concentrated lascannon fire on turn 1 or 2.

EDIT: Are you guys running in to LoWs a ton in games you play? Like, ones that you weren't expecting to see?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I realize the enemy can only interrupt once per turn--it's the fact that my sneaky assault troops in no way are guaranteed to even make it there, and that they cost basically the same as Tyranid Genestealers but are far more fragile. They have the option to pay for more expensive gear and have 12" pistols that they also can't use when dead. Sadly, the spamming Mass Hypnosis can't be done in Matched Play, or I'd be all in on making another Magus and converting a third.

Now, running an all-Tyranid force will let me roll over even hardball lists, but that was never my goal--I guess I should really start considering Cult troops as the expendable distraction force they are.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

xtothez posted:

Since 8E I've never had any issue killing things like Imperial Knights or Wraithknights with casual lists. My Hierodule also never really fared very well either. However to make the most out of these those units you need to get stuck in - they can't sit at the back of your deployment zone behind a screen.

Baneblades on the other hand will quite happily entrench themselves and still be fully effective, while costing the same or fewer points than their counterparts. That leads to taking multiple in a single list, which in turn means an opponent needs to start list tailoring in order to either out-shoot them, or strip away screening units to get in close before they get zapped.

Points fixes to Baneblades would go a long way to rectifying LOW complaints.

It's still bullshit that you charge it, then it reverses out of combat, fires all of its guns with no penalty then charges again blowing crush them for 6-9 power fist attacks.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Silly question. Do Deathwatch torsos fit well with Primaris legs, and does anyone know where the height difference comes from in Primaris? Is it primarily leg length or is there some torso? I don't have any old marines to compare to.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Harkano posted:

Silly question. Do Deathwatch torsos fit well with Primaris legs, and does anyone know where the height difference comes from in Primaris? Is it primarily leg length or is there some torso? I don't have any old marines to compare to.

If you don't get an answer before tonight remind me and I'll check with my guys.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

However, I always play objectives have infinite height. You should, too. It really helps with units like RG for scoring.

Lords of War: they're great when both sides have one. For casual games, where the objective is usually have as much fun as possible, I never bring one unless I know my opponent plans to. As far as tournaments go, I would consider bringing one in games of 2000+ points, but I honestly prefer the utility of multiple cheaper units. Baneblades are pretty nasty, but they're susceptible to anything S9 or higher. I always lose mine to concentrated lascannon fire on turn 1 or 2.

EDIT: Are you guys running in to LoWs a ton in games you play? Like, ones that you weren't expecting to see?

I plan on bringing one to next week's battle against TheChirurgeon.

Here's a question; how many lascannons (or lascannon equivalents) should a force bring at 2000 points?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

The Sex Cannon posted:

I feel treating them as infinite takes away a ton of the strategic value. The whole point of not allowing non-infantry (without fly) to scale buildings is to give infantry another tangible benefit over other model types.

We don't have a ton of Lords of War at our local events, but I will say a guy bringing a Hellhammer to a 1250 event really can throw things off, especially if it is infiltrating. Even bringing a small unit of Kastellan Robots was enough to put a guy in second place if you don't have a reliable method to take them out early because they are so drat vicious. I was physically incapable of keeping my Hellblasters out of LoS, resulting in them dying pretty quickly to a single robot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What's a good configuration for Kastellans? Maximum firepower?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I plan on bringing one to next week's battle against TheChirurgeon.

Here's a question; how many lascannons (or lascannon equivalents) should a force bring at 2000 points?

Pre codex I was shooting for about 10 with my Blood Angels. I may cut that down a bit once I get a chance to experiment after the holidays with how effective it will be to try to use my assault units in an anti-tank role. Historically speaking the answer is that assault is inherently too unreliable but maybe it will work with the increased damage output I get (it won't).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In answer to your previous question, 8-12.

And yes, triple phosphor whatevers (dakkastellans) is the best build.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No clue, I just know their S6 -2 D2 gun that ignores cover is tailor made to gently caress up Primaris Marines. A single robot killed an entire hellblaster squad, and then 7 out of 9 tactical marines in two separate turns.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Pre codex I was shooting for about 10 with my Blood Angels. I may cut that down a bit once I get a chance to experiment after the holidays with how effective it will be to try to use my assault units in an anti-tank role. Historically speaking the answer is that assault is inherently too unreliable but maybe it will work with the increased damage output I get (it won't).

Lib dreads seem like they can let you skip maybe 2-4 lascannons. 8ish seems like a good number to me at the moment, one sicaran venator + one other ranged AT thing like a contemptor mortis or las pred. I've also had good luck with JP company vets with storm shields and meltaguns, but they don't fill the secondary role of forcing your opponent to either split AT firepower and try to degrade multiple tanks or if they concentrate fire yous till have a tank left.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

I feel treating them as infinite takes away a ton of the strategic value. The whole point of not allowing non-infantry (without fly) to scale buildings is to give infantry another tangible benefit over other model types.

We don't have a ton of Lords of War at our local events, but I will say a guy bringing a Hellhammer to a 1250 event really can throw things off, especially if it is infiltrating. Even bringing a small unit of Kastellan Robots was enough to put a guy in second place if you don't have a reliable method to take them out early because they are so drat vicious. I was physically incapable of keeping my Hellblasters out of LoS, resulting in them dying pretty quickly to a single robot.

For that 1500pt tourney I'm thinking:

2x 2 Kastellans with triple guns
2x Neutron laser Onagers
1x Knight w/ thermal + gatling
1x harassment chicken walker

Whatever other poo poo fills out 1500pts

It should be a proper bully against most people who I suspect might not be equipped to deal with it. Only problem is it's super loving vulnerable to deep strike - Scion spam will not be its friend, although I'm the only person I know who runs it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Uroboros posted:

I noticed there has been a little debate over Lords of War. I agree that certain Lords of War can really unbalance a match. I will say that there definitely certain strategies that can be used to get around some. People seem to complain about Guilliman a lot, but I’d contend that he isnt nearly a game breaker than something in the realm of a Baneblade if you don’t show up with the right tools.

The baneblade variants all had their points reduced, lethality raised, and shortcomings dropped in the form of no longer suffering movement penalties. At 20+ wounds and Toughness 8 and immunity to being locked in combat (along with a hit on 2+ in combat stratagem) these guys really can be brutal, especially if your table lacks proper terrain. Even then with 12 inch movement they aren’t exactly immobile.

Rowboat gets bitched about not because he's OP, but because he's pretty much a must-take for marine lists according to a lot of people. People get tired of seeing him.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Corrode posted:

2x Neutron laser Onagers

It should be a proper bully against most people who I suspect might not be equipped to deal with it. Only problem is it's super loving vulnerable to deep strike - Scion spam will not be its friend, although I'm the only person I know who runs it.

That and the usual trap of not having a lot of table presence. When I see a list like this I usually decide on whether or not I can take out the big stuff, and if not just focus down the infantry and play an objective focused game.

Liquid Communism posted:

Rowboat gets bitched about not because he's OP, but because he's pretty much a must-take for marine lists according to a lot of people. People get tired of seeing him.

I think he was at first, but once GW finally point balances his biggest pals, namely flyers, I think it will finally give non-Ultramarine Astartes a viable chance. If you want a gunline every chapter can recreate the G-man bubble with a Lt/Chapter Master combination. The bigger question on whether Marines in general will be competitive on the top tables is more up for question to me, over whether Guilliman is a must-take for Marine players, which I don't think is true outside of 3 Fire Raptor lists (which we can assume won't be around to long).

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Corrode posted:

2x Neutron laser Onagers

A friend of mine plays this sort of list, and I'd say your assessment is bang on. It's hard as nails in a stand-up shooting fight, but against fast assault stuff you can just get swamped, and you have limited ability to go out and seize objectives.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Genghis Cohen posted:

A friend of mine plays this sort of list, and I'd say your assessment is bang on. It's hard as nails in a stand-up shooting fight, but against fast assault stuff you can just get swamped, and you have limited ability to go out and seize objectives.

Yeah, a wave serpent full of fire dragons or a deepstriking hemlock would have a good time here.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

That and the usual trap of not having a lot of table presence. When I see a list like this I usually decide on whether or not I can take out the big stuff, and if not just focus down the infantry and play an objective focused game.

Now I look at the list again, the "other bullshit" is the datasmith and the TPD. So there's not anything else to focus on since those are characters. It's going to absolutely suck at board control and objectives. It'd be funny for playing against an Ork player or whatever dude shows up with two MLs as his only anti-tank, but it's going to suck against anyone with a brain. Most importantly, my alternative choice of Guard list would give it a kicking, and I think my Marines would handle it too. If you write a list and then immediately think of all the things you play that would counter it, it's probably not good.

My alternatives for Guard/Marines are:

Guard

CoCo - Grand Strategist/Aquila
Primaris Psyker
Astropath
3x Infantry with lascannons

2x Tempestor Prime
Scion Cmd - 4 plasmas
Culexus
2x 5 Scions, plasma guns
1x 5 Scions, melta guns
2x Taurox primes, gatling + hotshot volleys

CoCo - Dagger
Command squad, 4 plasmas
2x Basilisks
1x Manticore

Space Marines

Captain
LT
1x Dreadnought TWACs
2x Dreadnought Las/ML
2x 5 Scouts
1x 10 Intercessors
2x Inceptors
1x Devs, 4 lascans

CoCo, Grand Strategist/Aquila
Culexus
2x Infantry

(You may recognise most of the SM list as the 2k we workshopped a while ago, cut down to fit the points value). The Guard are like 23pts under too, I haven't really figured out what else to squeeze in since the Chapter Approved points changes.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 18, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yesterday I've learned the value of having a screening unit deployed outside of the deployment zone.

Holy poo poo, do deep striking Hive Tyrants rip units apart and wreak havoc on a castled deployment. Something which is completely negated on Turn 1 by a simple 60 point Ranger unit and one screening Dire Avenger unit.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I'd say either of those are all around better for a 1500 point event than a Mechanicus list running a Knight. I suppose a lot of it just comes down to what you want out of the experience. I use my local events largely as ways to just show off my latest painting accomplishment.

Are they going to use the new Beta rules? Do they use ITC missions or their own thing?

Boon posted:

Yesterday I've learned the value of having a screening unit deployed outside of the deployment zone.

Holy poo poo, do deep striking Hive Tyrants rip units apart and wreak havoc on a castled deployment. Something which is completely negated on Turn 1 by a simple 60 point Ranger unit and one screening Dire Avenger unit.

Yeah, although clever opponents usually build lists to provide enough firepower to kill units like rangers or scouts, and then deep strike in later. The best units for these are LoS ignoring artillery.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

I'd say either of those are all around better for a 1500 point event than a Mechanicus list running a Knight. I suppose a lot of it just comes down to what you want out of the experience. I use my local events largely as ways to just show off my latest painting accomplishment.

Are they going to use the new Beta rules? Do they use ITC missions or their own thing?

Straight Maelstrom missions, which is the other reason being able to get around the board matters more than my dumb Mechanicus list.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
lol got a buddy I introduced to the game back in June starting to turn into one of those backseat rules know-it-alls who second guesses everything you do whether he's actually playing or not. He's very invested in knowing more about the game than me and the other guy we started playing with and I'm trying to think of a way to break this to him without hurting his enthusiasm for the game. He'll "did you know..." at you in the middle of a game and the information he provides could be something you just talked about the other day. Like yeah I know, I'm the one who told you lol. Honestly I'm just venting more than asking for advice since I know the answer is to just tell him straight up to trust that I know my own loving army, obviously. Anyone else have friends you get along with swimmingly everywhere but the Hams table?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, although clever opponents usually build lists to provide enough firepower to kill units like rangers or scouts, and then deep strike in later. The best units for these are LoS ignoring artillery.

Yeah, but as Eldar I really only need 1 or 2 turns to shoot down some high priority units out and set my defenses. Its that first turn that'll kill me it seems

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Boon posted:

Yeah, but as Eldar I really only need 1 or 2 turns to shoot down some high priority units out and set my defenses. Its that first turn that'll kill me it seems

Are you coming to Adepticon?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Uroboros posted:

Are you coming to Adepticon?

Yup! I'm going to do the GT but missed the boat on the team tourney.

I'm thinking about doing the BFG tourney although I really won't want to be there on Sunday. Still BFG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

One_Wing posted:

I’ve been finding that the answer is that yes the CP is totally worth it, but oddly it looks like it’s harder to pull off with power level than points, especially if you want to use wraith units. Looking at what you’ve got, I think you’ll be happier aiming for a battalion plus a one pointer.

You also definitely, definitely want a farseer, which swapping to that might let you take. Leaving home without a farseer is borderline objectively wrong, they’re that good.

Yeah, 2k points I can do what I want comfortably, but at 100 PL I can barely fill out 1800 points. I do want to stick with the Wraithguard/blades, principile army theme and all.

I CAN squeeze out two 1 point detachments but I think I'm going to just do one. I'd rather have the wraith lord than the warwalker.

8CP posted:

BATTALION 3CP
Farseer [spear] (105) -6
Warlock (35) -2
2x 5 Dire Avengers (180) -6
10 Guardians [BL] 105) -5
6 Shining Spears [1 SL] (188) -10
== 553 – 29

VANGUARD 1CP
Spirit Seer (45) -3
Wraithguard [WC] (200) -11
Wraithblades [WB] (175) -10