Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

Eh I don't think Justice's League's terrible flop is indicative of the comic book movie bubble bursting

Yeah I made a count a few pages ago and there were three superhero/comicbook films in 2015, eight in 2016, ten this year, twelve listed for 2018 so far and 10 plus a bunch of unconfirmed/untitled movies already listed for 2019. The bubble is still expanding.

But maybe euphronius was just referring to the DCEU's bubble bursting. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought it was kind of a neat fact !!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

It'll probably surpass Man of Steel by the end of the week, and there's a chance it'll pass BvS too

I mean, even if it only makes half of what Force Awakens does, it will surpass all but a half dozen or so super hero films, including incredibly popular stuff like GotG2, Deadpool, Spider-Man, etc.

euphronius posted:

I thought it was kind of a neat fact !!

Oh yeah I agree, comparing it to the most recent big release super hero movie is totally valid, and puts into perspective how bad it flopped

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Davros1 posted:

It'll probably surpass Man of Steel by the end of the week, and there's a chance it'll pass BvS too

By the end of its second weekend it'll most likely have passed all the DCEU films including Wonder Woman and possibly all the MCU films except Avengers, and there's a good chance it'll pass Avengers on its 3rd weekend.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m impressed by Wolf Warrior 2 and will need to check it out. I don’t see foreign born cinema so high on global box office charts and am surprised someone didn’t release it wide in US. My man Frank Grillo doing good. Should be leveraged as an international Star now.

It’s made 870 million overseas entirely and is #5.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2017&p=.htm

Grillo also made the best Punisher in the Purge movies

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 18, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I didn't realize live action B&B made over a billion, but it makes sense since my wife and all her sisters/friends/every woman their age they know seemed to see it multiple times.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Depending on how Alita: Battle Angel does, anime and manga are a distinct possibility. We've already gotten Ghost in the Shell and Death Note in the past couple years.

All the talk about anime/manga adaptations made me realise that I'd never actually seen Dragonball: Evolution so I tracked down a copy and .... oh drat, that was hard viewing. It took me quite a while to finish it, I kept stopping the film and going off and doing other things and very nearly gave up on it. The scene at the start where he refuses to fight the bullies and defeats them by dodging their blows was probably the only scene in the entire film worth a drat but even then it heavily cribbed off a really similar scene in the first Raimi Spider-Man film.

Hilariously enough the general plot (weird guy living double life assembles a team of loners with special skills so they can track down [x] number of ancient macguffins before the evil space warlord gathers them all and combines them to receive the power to take over the entire planet, final fight happens in a huge towering structure that the bad guy summoned out of nowhere) made me go "Holy poo poo, did Justice League steal its plot from fuckin' Dragonball: Evolution???!"
We also had scenes where the characters use the macguffins to bring back a dead character, the strongest character loses his memory and attacks the rest of the team, the bad guy had an army of spiky carbon-copy warriors who were pretty much useless, the bad guy only gets all the macguffins because the good guys pretty much didn't bother with security, the bad guy was initially defeated thousands of years ago because a bunch of powerful warriors from all over the place banded together, etc etc..

And then the movie ended with a lighthearted scene where two characters meet up away from the others to finally determine who was faster and ended with a freeze frame of them leaping into action and that removed all doubt. :v:

JUSTICE LEAGUE IS A REMAKE OF DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Guy A. Person posted:

I didn't realize live action B&B made over a billion, but it makes sense since my wife and all her sisters/friends/every woman their age they know seemed to see it multiple times.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks was always live-action

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

K. Waste posted:

We already have two white Akiras - the aforementioned Lucy and the obvious Chronicle - but we also have a black Akira in the form of Kanye West, Daft Punk & Hype Williams' Stronger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsO6ZnUZI0g

M83 basically made a trilogy of Akira fan vids starting with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3k_QDnzHE

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

All the talk about anime/manga adaptations made me realise that I'd never actually seen Dragonball: Evolution so I tracked down a copy and .... oh drat, that was hard viewing. It took me quite a while to finish it, I kept stopping the film and going off and doing other things and very nearly gave up on it. The scene at the start where he refuses to fight the bullies and defeats them by dodging their blows was probably the only scene in the entire film worth a drat but even then it heavily cribbed off a really similar scene in the first Raimi Spider-Man film.

I always felt it was from Karate Kid 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KF4iJzBVWM

I had such high hopes for the DB movie until they called it "Evolution" ugh.

Original DB needs a lot of updating, but the acting, design, storyboarding and overall execution were so bad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

got any sevens posted:

He was talking about Beavis and Butthead

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

He was talking about Beavis and Butthead

B&B Do America should be in everyone's top 10

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/JosephKahn/status/942179249473011712
https://twitter.com/JosephKahn/status/942179742299467776
https://twitter.com/JosephKahn/status/942180049997914113
https://twitter.com/JosephKahn/status/942180145556725760
https://twitter.com/JosephKahn/status/942180261969534976
https://twitter.com/JosephKahn/status/942180827013660672

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Eeehhh...I guess? Sure. Not exactly hot about the casting or designs tho. Except I like the actors in general and I know Chiwetel can make anything work

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That Zantana is so drat generic. She looks like the protagonist of a paperback fantasy series, and probably named Cathy "Kitty" Catt.

And you can't improve on this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Those are pretty good. I'd like to think the weaker ones would get tightened up. I actually like that Zatanna, but I freely admit she looks a lot like a girl I dated once.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’d like Daniel Craig as Constantine and someone like Allison Brie as Zatanna for contrast. Chiwetel is fine as Blood. Christopher Walken as Deadman. Swamp Thing would end up CG I guess. Who else is in the roster?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The lady from Tron should be Zatanna. Don't even change the costume just add a cape and make the lights red instead of blue

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My submission for Zatanna

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Just make Constantine 2 and bring Keanu back

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

bring back old gbs posted:

The lady from Tron should be Zatanna. Don't even change the costume just add a cape and make the lights red instead of blue

Olivia Wilde and sure. Basically a beautiful petite brunette with charm and upbeat personality and a history with Batman.

I also thought Keanu but eh. Rihanna is a good singer but imo I don’t quite think she’s all that but it doesn’t really matter I guess.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"Justice League Dark" is a very silly name.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

"Justice League Dark" is a very silly name.

On top of that at this point they would almost certainly not want to bank on the JL name anyway. It would def get renamed to like Shadowpact I'm guessing

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mordiceius posted:

Uhhhhhhh White Akira already happened with Chronicle????

i mean if we're counting stuff that doesn't use the IP and just rips off anime, the creators of Stranger Things have directly cited Elfen Lied (of all loving things) as a huge inspiration for the show and... it kinda shows because the whole Eleven plot is basically Elfen Lied with all the gross poo poo surgically removed

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean if we're counting stuff that doesn't use the IP and just rips off anime, the creators of Stranger Things have directly cited Elfen Lied (of all loving things) as a huge inspiration for the show and... it kinda shows because the whole Eleven plot is basically Elfen Lied with all the gross poo poo surgically removed

lmaoooo Elfen Lied. I gave it a shot because everybody was comparing is to Stranger Things. The first episode has some cool ideas with the psychic powers looking like giant invisible manifested animals or something, just tearing limbs off of guards as they get too close to the girl. It has some really strong Akira vibes, then it goes into tropey oversexualized anime so quick you don't even have time to make a :psyduck: face. It's the most jarring tonal shift. Anime is trash.

I'd really like to post an example gif of the psychic powers but I have NO loving CLUE what will pop up if I type Elfen Lied into google image search. I don't want to know.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'll gladly give an anime a chance if the protagonist doesn't act like Felix Biederman's impression of Jared Kushner at all times.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bring back old gbs posted:

lmaoooo Elfen Lied. I gave it a shot because everybody was comparing is to Stranger Things. The first episode has some cool ideas with the psychic powers looking like giant invisible manifested animals or something, just tearing limbs off of guards as they get too close to the girl. It has some really strong Akira vibes, then it goes into tropey oversexualized anime so quick you don't even have time to make a :psyduck: face. It's the most jarring tonal shift. Anime is trash.

I'd really like to post an example gif of the psychic powers but I have NO loving CLUE what will pop up if I type Elfen Lied into google image search. I don't want to know.

I am a pretty huge anime fan and Elfen Lied is extremely loving bad

seriously, if it's not the bottom of the barrel it is pretty damned close

e: that said, it's actually probably totally safe to GIS, because most of the American fandom for it (which, yeah, unfortunately that's a thing) likes to pretend it's this deep artsy sad series and ignore the weird sex poo poo and hilarious gore

Halloween Jack posted:

I'll gladly give an anime a chance if the protagonist doesn't act like Felix Biederman's impression of Jared Kushner at all times.

watch G Gundam it loving rules and has no pedo poo poo

e: also just to bring it back around to movies, if you're okay with reading a comic book and not watching a cartoon, the Battle Angel Alita manga is legit loving incredible

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 18, 2017

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

G Gundam is loving fantastic and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

I mean they got a Mexican Gundam that has cactus shoulder pads and a goddamn sombrero

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Scyantific posted:

G Gundam is loving fantastic and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

I mean they got a Mexican Gundam that has cactus shoulder pads and a goddamn sombrero

The Rose Gundam is the absolute top tier of Gundams imo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gatts posted:

I’m impressed by Wolf Warrior 2 and will need to check it out. I don’t see foreign born cinema so high on global box office charts and am surprised someone didn’t release it wide in US. My man Frank Grillo doing good. Should be leveraged as an international Star now.

It’s made 870 million overseas entirely and is #5.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2017&p=.htm

Grillo also made the best Punisher in the Purge movies

My prediction is that Grillo will star in the next Transformers movie after Bumblebee to rake in China money, due to his connection to Michael Bay via The Purge.

got any sevens posted:

A good part of it was animated, though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy poo poo. They referenced Elfen Lied? gently caress. Now I guess I really do need to watch Stranger Things.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

It's not really any kind of direct reference. The similarities begin and end at "Girl experimented on by government has psychic powers."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mordiceius posted:

Holy poo poo. They referenced Elfen Lied? gently caress. Now I guess I really do need to watch Stranger Things.

Not all of it. :D

Honestly with how some things were recycled from season one and that they were mostly inspired by anime, they shoild just own it and go full anime repetition. Like every season Will gets possessed/taken by some otherworldly thing, Eleven gets angry about something and runs off to a different big city where she just happens to run into the same gang and helps with a heist, Paul Reiser is in some new deep cover program but then helps the good guys out and suffers no consequences for anything, etc.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

K. Waste posted:

We already have two white Akiras - the aforementioned Lucy and the obvious Chronicle - but we also have a black Akira in the form of Kanye West, Daft Punk & Hype Williams' Stronger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsO6ZnUZI0g

Chronicle is a) the only movie to "make me believe a man can fly" and b) all about how terrible nerds are, and that even self aware nerds need to grow the gently caress up.

Chronicle seriously owns.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I loved Stranger Things season 1, and while I recognize that there were some issues still think it's quite good. But hooo boy was season 2 just a sloppy and poorly written redo of season 1. They made all the same mistakes that they swore up and down in interviews that they were going to avoid. So much fan service (double down on Eggos! Make a totally unnecessary Barb subplot! Ship those characters!), so much repetition of plot points from the first season (Will is pursued by a monster in the upside down... again!!), so much repetition of visual elements from the first season (Wynona needs something weird hung up on all her walls), so many obvious straight-up lifts from 80s films (yes, we have also sen Temple of Doom and remember the Willie/Indy back and forth between rooms), so many fourth wall breaking meta moments (Brett Gelman's everything). It's textbook bad sequel. And on top of that, the writing was awful. Bad dialogue, characters hiding things from each other for no reason, etc.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 19, 2017

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

The Rose Gundam is the absolute top tier of Gundams imo

Any mobile suit with aerods is automatically the best thing.

Except for the motion suit entrance scene when Master Asia's horse gets its own Gundam, that's the best thing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Timby posted:

He's made an impressive turnaround, considering how terrible he was early in his career.
Its kind of crazy that the role I first remember him in was a terrible retelling of Theseus vs the Minotaur on the Sci-Fi channel

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tom Hardy has always owned, he's just owning in less garbage now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TetsuoTW posted:

Tom Hardy has always owned, he's just owning in less garbage now.

Nah, he was straight garbage in Star Trek Nemesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Nah, he was straight garbage in Star Trek Nemesis.

Every time I think about him in Nemesis I think of him as a grown up version of Clint Howard's character in TOS.

• Locked thread