Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No Shoji Kawamori worked on it all the way through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

the only thing yamakan qualifies for is my farts
:confuoot:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

I think Kvin of Sakugablog said insiders say Yamakan was fired from Kyoani for sexual harassment. It's anyway very atypical of Kyoani to boot people like that so 'has not reached the level of a director' is generally regarded to be some kind of euphemism.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 17, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yamakan is a motherfucker who victim blames idols and got pissy on twitter because the cast of wake up girls awkwardly joked about how he kept putting in upskirt shots, he's genuinely a piece of poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

I think Kvin of Sakugablog said insiders say Yamakan was fired from Kyoani for sexual harassment. It's anyway very atypical of Kyoani to boot people like that so 'has not reached the level of a director' is generally regarded to be some kind of euphemism.
the sexual harassment of kyoani staffers is up in the air/unverified but he verifiably is an insane creep to idols on twitter and when one of the VAs on WUG made a joke about upskirt shots in the show he basically encouraged twitter mobs to send her death threats. i could buy kyoani booting him just for being so insanely unpleasant even without doing anything.

and he's also an insanely bad director. kannagi and fractale arent terrible in terms of direction but WUG is insanely listless and bad looking and literally the most inventive shot choreography it has is in the ep where all the girls are getting molested

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 17, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Enough ppl said to watch Mahoujin GuruGuru so I did

I'm 6 minutes in and I'm totally on board, but they seriously keep up this pace the whole show?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ViggyNash posted:

I'm 6 minutes in and I'm totally on board, but they seriously keep up this pace the whole show?

yes

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

ViggyNash posted:

The pace varies. It's normally slower than that, but still pretty fast.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Fractale is still a punchline for the whole "I'm going to save anime, or retire if it fails" thing, and then you could clearly see what it was trying to go for but it was doing so in such a ham-fisted, treacly way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

The Colonel posted:

yamakan is a motherfucker who victim blames idols and got pissy on twitter because the cast of wake up girls awkwardly joked about how he kept putting in upskirt shots, he's genuinely a piece of poo poo
Man, what a fuckface. :mad:

ViggyNash posted:

No, but keep watching anyway. Pacing is good and it's a really fun show and it'd probably be a contender for Top 5 Anime of the Year, but the thing is that there are/were a lot of REALLY loving RAD SHOWS this year. Like, off the top of my head, and I'm probably forgetting a bunch more:
  • Little Witch Academia (Still pretty much my pick for AOTY)
  • Made in Abyss
  • Scum's Wish
  • ACCA
  • My Hero Academia's 2nd Season
  • March Comes in Like a Lion's 2nd Season
  • BBB's 2nd Season
  • The Ancient Magus Bride
  • Tsurezure Children
  • Gamers!
  • Kakegurui
Gintama unfortunately doesn't count, despite having pretty much everything I want out of a Shounen anime.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Knorth posted:

People not watching Girls Last Tour should do so because it's lovely

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Endorph posted:

the sexual harassment of kyoani staffers is up in the air/unverified but he verifiably is an insane creep to idols on twitter and when one of the VAs on WUG made a joke about upskirt shots in the show he basically encouraged twitter mobs to send her death threats. i could buy kyoani booting him just for being so insanely unpleasant even without doing anything.

and he's also an insanely bad director. kannagi and fractale arent terrible in terms of direction but WUG is insanely listless and bad looking and literally the most inventive shot choreography it has is in the ep where all the girls are getting molested

Yikes. That's an insane power dynamic, considering the took on VAs right at the cusp of their careers.

I kind of liked Kannagi's direction and character animation, I think it's kinda underrated for a lovely rom com.

WUG tried to deal with the psychic recovery after the 2011 triple disaster, but it was a failure as it lacked the clarity of purpose and it turned into the very thing he was trying to criticize. As opposed to Kimi no Na Wa and Shin Godzilla, which did pull it off.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

The first like, four episodes are faster-paced than the rest because it's adapting material that had previously been adapted, and then it slows down a bit.

Not a whole lot though since it's fast-paced show in general.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

only one episode in the whole show is at all "slow"/normally paced

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also Yamakan is getting super pass-agg over the new WUGs having a new director and people actually watching it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Also Yamakan is getting super pass-agg over the new WUGs having a new director and people actually watching it.
yeah the original WUG is a show for nobody, it's too gross and weird for people who like love live and idolmaster or whatever and it's too idol-y and like, bad, for people who like dramas.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I only hear about yamakan via Japanese-speakers I follow being baffled/disgusted by his random social media outbursts.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah the original WUG is a show for nobody, it's too gross and weird for people who like love live and idolmaster or whatever and it's too idol-y and like, bad, for people who like dramas.

I liked the cynical humor of the movie and the first few eps. Then it turned into a generic underdog sports story.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Gintama unfortunately doesn't count, despite having pretty much everything I want out of a Shounen anime.

Since it has two cours that finished in 2017, it counts twice over. :grin:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Waffleman_ posted:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

Good music and choreography at least. WUG was arguably one of the best performances at Anime-expo last year when they managed to get Love Live, idolm@ster, and Walkure for their Anisong World Matsuri concert. I do feel like the the original series had some decent character beats to it once you got past the first few episodes, and that's basically the main thing holding it together once production starts falling apart. For whatever reason, the 3rd movie lacked any of that character writing and that just made it very boring to watch (the 2nd movie oddly was half of a fun movie before falling apart into drama halfway through). Beyond the Bottom is a good song though at least.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also 9/11 being a plot point was still funny as poo poo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

Since it has two cours that finished in 2017, it counts twice over. :grin:
I stand by my point even if you are technically right, Squarkster. :colbert:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

How long is Imosae supposed to be? This week was insanely good.

I need that game.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Anime-gataris is a god drat treasure

Also the best anime of 2017 I think was Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I should resume watching.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Anime-gataris is a god drat treasure

Also the best anime of 2017 I think was Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

God, I forgot that was this year!
I think I'm torn between that and Hoseki no Kuni for AOTY personally.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ranzear posted:

I need that game.
One more episode.
And the game is real: https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-AG1250-Once-Upon-Time/dp/1887801006
In fact, all board games played in the show (as well as the boxes in the background of Itsuki's room) are real games: http://sp.imotosae.com/bodoge/

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Anime-gataris is going for broke and I like it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ranzear posted:

:yeah:

dlbert
Dec 18, 2017

by Smythe
Girls Last tour easily takes my AOTS. It's not winning any metals for the characters, but overall it's a really comfy show and the atmosphere is really well done when followed up by the music.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:kimchi:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There was a while there where Girls Last Tour was a better Kino's Journey than Kino was.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it still is

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kater posted:

There was a while there where Girls Last Tour was a better Kino's Journey than Kino was.
Not to sound like a Nostalgia-loving rube, but yeah: Old and Busted Kino is better than New Hotness Kino

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

Not to sound like a Nostalgia-loving rube, but yeah: Old and Busted Kino is better than New Hotness Kino

not emptyquoting

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kater posted:

glt was always a more reserved and thoughtful show than the new kino, new kino isn't even actually attempting to be that

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

It took 11 episodes but Animegataris finally delivered on the plot it teased in episode 1 and got incredibly meta.

I liked the scene where the sides of the frame slowly slide inward until it's 4:3 and then when a character tries to walk out the side she almost falls into the endless abyss.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HugeHighKodiakbear-mobile.mp4

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Was Animegataris as good overall as these examples are making it seem? It didn't catch me enough to start it but if the jokes are that good throughout that may have been a mistake.

• Locked thread