Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Norns posted:

Best audio in any of the Sims.

this is the main thing i remember.

i bought the silvia because the bodykit was funny but i was using a keyboard then. i need to go back and play with my gamepad and see how it is because iirc it has awesome hillclimb tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Holy poo poo Wreckfest got an update :psyduck:

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/wreckfest-major-december-update-released.144997/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They might actually have that game out of early access next year.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

njsykora posted:

They might actually have that game out of early access next year.

Just in time for KartKraft to get an EA update.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I hooked up the buttkicker via SimCommander over a USB soundcard. drat that's cool! Luckily, the software for the motion platform let's you choose which effects to relay to the transducer instead of the motion platform, so now I could finally relay stuff like rev limiter to the buttkicker.

I, for one, welcome my new butt-shaking simpit!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The buttkicker is one of those things that I was super skeptical about, picked one up for cheap on Black Friday and am now in love with.

I mostly play GT Sport, so I don’t even run mine through simvibe or anything and it’s still awesome for that game.

Everyone should welcome the buttkicking into their lives.

Also it’s one of the most overbuilt, beefy pieces of equipment for the price I’ve ever witnessed. It’s all super thick solid metal. I think the only plastic is on the amplifier buttons. Crazy well built.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
How loud is the Buttkicker? Assuming that the rest of the rig isn't a rattle trap? I've tried to look up videos of it, but I haven't seen one that I think gives a good representation of what kind of noise it might make.

Thinking about building a sim rig at some point, and external noise is a concern. Probably won't be building for quite a while, but I figured I'd ask since the subject came up.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It's pretty quiet. I mean the original purpose of it was too be a silent sub.

Those with buttkicker's, are yours clipping a lot? Mine is in the red a lot (just connected to my desk chair)

I actually can't use it on my rig as I'm using a car seat and can't figure out a good way to mount it :( I tried mounting to the base however the vibration gets lost and I don't really see a spot that I can mount it on the seat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So it won't send annoying noises through the floor?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The buttkicker is one of those things that I was super skeptical about and am now in love with.

This was me too, thought it may be a gimmick tbh, but as I said earlier for me it gave me back bass (hearing aids do not do bass well).

Mine is silent I think - paired with a good set of headphones I can have sensory overload and have my surroundings in silence at the same time, it's awesome.

If it is clipping and you aren't feeling the vibes much I'd be looking at how it is attached, are there any points where the vibration could be dampened or lost? I have mine hooked up to an audio interface so I never use the buttkicker's controls at all, just the knob on the interface and it works really well

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Can't agree more. I only use since yesterday, but it adds a lot.

It's similar to the Motion Platform....looks like a (very expensive) gimmick at first, but once you are used to it, as soon as a game doesn't support it and you're missing it's input to your body (PCars2 at launch, for example), you realize how much it adds to the whole experience and also your driving. It's expensive as gently caress, but I can recommend it to anyone who is not put off by the price.

Same for the buttkicker, I love it already and don't understand why I never got around to install it earlier.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The buttkicker itself is silent. Any noise will come from your rig rattling. There are times when the buttkicker forces the frame of the car seat on my rig to act as a speaker element. Higher frequency sounds will tend to do this.

As for noise through the floor, this all depends on how vibration proof and well damped your rig is. If you have soft rubber damping feet between the rig and floor I’d be hard pressed to imagine it bothering anyone.

I play on a concrete floor so sending noise down is not an issue, but I can say I play right below my bedroom at night when my wife is usually sleeping and she has never heard it. Again, it comes down to your rig. A rattly rig will probably be louder

As for clipping my I’m taking the clipping light as more of a suggestion. I feed my buttkicker line-out from my PS4 ‘s optical port and it still will clip. I regularly feel the buttkicker itself and the amp and neither get warm

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 18, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I had a buddy put injectable insulation in the steel frame of my rig. Took care of any unwanted vibrations from my butt kickers

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Norns posted:

I had a buddy put injectable insulation in the steel frame of my rig. Took care of any unwanted vibrations from my butt kickers

Are you running multiple transducers? Rear/front, or four, one on each corner of the rig?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

tuo posted:

Are you running multiple transducers? Rear/front, or four, one on each corner of the rig?

Yep 4 corners and one in my seat.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Norns posted:

Expanding foam is something I was going to get myself but got a new chair for unrelated reasons and it solved it.
If your rig is rattling it feels like you are driving an old car to me, if there is no rattle it feels like a well bolted together new car.
The odd thing is with that is with my old chair and G25 it felt amazing driving something like a Group B rally car cos your senses were assaulted to gently caress

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Norns posted:

Yep 4 corners and one in my seat.

So....is that five sound cards, or can you run each one from one of the 5.1 channels? Would you rate this setup as "worth it" compared to a single buttkicker?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

tuo posted:

So....is that five sound cards, or can you run each one from one of the 5.1 channels? Would you rate this setup as "worth it" compared to a single buttkicker?

I have a single separate soundcard that I run simvibe with. I use a headset for my actual audio.

It's super awesome feeling individual tire slip.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

While there are at least two other threads that deal with the genre more specifically, I'd just like to branch out on the discussion taking place here.

For driving games, I can see the use case, but do buttkickers do anything or provide any tangible benefit for flight sims? All this talk has made me a bit more curious, but I can't really justify getting one for what's honestly at best the third-tier use it would see.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yes, flight sims also work great with it. Sim shaker even has an app for it.

Only flying type game I play is elite dangerous but it's awesome with that.

It's also really really awesome in stalker if you are into fps's.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll be designing my rig (whenever I actually get to do it) to accommodate at least one Buttkicker.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

While there are at least two other threads that deal with the genre more specifically, I'd just like to branch out on the discussion taking place here.

For driving games, I can see the use case, but do buttkickers do anything or provide any tangible benefit for flight sims? All this talk has made me a bit more curious, but I can't really justify getting one for what's honestly at best the third-tier use it would see.

Absolutely, for an example of how all encompassing they are the shotgun in Doom feels even more fantastic, the rumble of an idling Spitfire is insane and going through the slot in a station in Elite is loving mind blowing WOOOMMMMMPPPPP

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Do you like bass but hate tinnitus? Butt-kickers

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

Absolutely, for an example of how all encompassing they are the shotgun in Doom feels even more fantastic, the rumble of an idling Spitfire is insane and going through the slot in a station in Elite is loving mind blowing WOOOMMMMMPPPPP

That certainly sounds appealing… in all the wrong ways. :D

I think my question is more rooted in the sensory feedback I imagine you'd get for driving — feeling slip and kerbs and the like in another way, above “just” FFB — which I'd imagine is slightly less relevant in, say, DCS or XP11. At least unless it starts jiggling you about to give some feel for turbulence and the like, which is rarely provided in any other way. Then again, I guess that comes back to the standard thing with all sims: does it have direct support to read/feed info into [peripheral x] or do you have to go through some generic interface to get a generic response (which may still be pretty darn good).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buttkickers work for flight sims too, you can feel lean/rich conditions, you can feel if the landing gear is down, all sorts of fun stuff.

All games benefit from it in my opinion. I sit in my sim rig and play overwatch on a controller.

I also occasionally watch tv shows and movies in it.

It has an application for nearly everything I can do on my pc and PS4

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Smoke lots of weed and listen to cool music with your buttkickers

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Overwatch is neat however it seems like the effect is delayed a bit on that it shakes a bit after you land or after you shoot instead of right when you land or shoot.

But yeah music is also really great with it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

That certainly sounds appealing… in all the wrong ways. :D

I think my question is more rooted in the sensory feedback I imagine you'd get for driving — feeling slip and kerbs and the like in another way, above “just” FFB — which I'd imagine is slightly less relevant in, say, DCS or XP11. At least unless it starts jiggling you about to give some feel for turbulence and the like, which is rarely provided in any other way. Then again, I guess that comes back to the standard thing with all sims: does it have direct support to read/feed info into [peripheral x] or do you have to go through some generic interface to get a generic response (which may still be pretty darn good).

What I tend to find is game devs put in audio cues for stuff we can't 'feel' so for example a thunk when you hit the ground, that's a basic example, but a lot of games use sound effects because they need to somehow convey, say, an airplane is stalling - they'll put in a sound effect, so if that's the case the buttkicker will pick it up and use it if the frequency is low and luckily it usually is for things you'd expect to be shaken by irl.

If you just use the audio signal this is a blessing and a curse, for example sitting on the line in an old V8 car has you in total buttkicking heaven, it's awesome. Floor it and as the engine note gets higher you lose that buttkick sub bass, or can do.

That's where simvibe comes in as it takes data rather than a signal to generate buttkicking. But then you're into the realms of the game supporting simvibe. X pLane 10 is supported : http://simxperience.com/Products/Software/SimCommander3/SimCommanderSupportedSimulationGames.aspx

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Norns posted:

I have a single separate soundcard that I run simvibe with. I use a headset for my actual audio.

It's super awesome feeling individual tire slip.

How exactly do you mount them? Is the whole simpit basically "floating" (sorry, english is not my native tongue, I don't know how to explain it better) so that the induced vibrations from the corners actually make it to the seat? I guess you need some kind of frame for that.

I'm just thinking of wether this would be possible with mine, allthough I doubt it, as I'd have to fit the heavy-as-gently caress motion platform to that frame...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mine sits on small rubber feet. Although I don’t really have to worry about vibration in the floor. My buttkicker is mounted to the frame of the seat in mine.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

tuo posted:

How exactly do you mount them? Is the whole simpit basically "floating" (sorry, english is not my native tongue, I don't know how to explain it better) so that the induced vibrations from the corners actually make it to the seat? I guess you need some kind of frame for that.

I'm just thinking of wether this would be possible with mine, allthough I doubt it, as I'd have to fit the heavy-as-gently caress motion platform to that frame...

One inside my seat, in the butt cushion. Two attached near my pedals for front tires. Two at the back rear of of my seat frame for rears.

Amp is under the seat.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Norns posted:

One inside my seat, in the butt cushion. Two attached near my pedals for front tires. Two at the back rear of of my seat frame for rears.

Amp is under the seat.

So the whole thing rests on the ground? Sounds good....gonna try that! I am already a big fan of the "gimmick" that is the Fanatec pedal rumblers, which relay over- and understeern to the pedals via a vibrating motor, and if you get used to it, it's very cool. Thus I can't get enough tactile feedback, so I'll totally mount some more buttkickers to kick my butt,

e: also thanks a lot! Much appreciated!

simble
May 11, 2004

Here is how mine are mounted -

Edit in case it's not clear - Thats the bottom side of the rig, the front is toward the bottom. There's no seat on there while i worked on it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

simble posted:

Here is how mine are mounted -

Edit in case it's not clear - Thats the bottom side of the rig, the front is toward the bottom. There's no seat on there while i worked on it.

that looks similar to what I currently have in mind as a new base for my pit, and many thanks, it's a great inspiration!

simble
May 11, 2004

It's built from the ricmotech plans (RS1).

Honestly with enough pictures you could easily approximate it without the plans.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
How does the buttkicker connect to your PC? Just like a 3.5mm audio jack? USB? Something crazier?

I like the sound of it but my rig is already ridiculously delicate to set-up and I regularly have to spend 15 minutes just turning things on and off again to get them to work, so I'm very hesitant to add yet another connection to the works that might fail and give me even more headaches every time I turn it on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It connects to your sound card. You can either split your main line out/subwoofer line and run it off that, or you can get a separate sound card (either internal or usb) and run it off that.

The controls for the buttkicker itself are on the buttkicker amp.

All the amp doing is taking all sub-200hz frequencies it gets from the sound card and sending them to the buttkicker unit. All it needs is a sound input, it doesn’t care where it gets it from.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It looks like the buttkicker gamer comes with a y splitter.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

If you run it from a separate sound card, you tend to use a special software for that. The normal operation mode simply used the low frequency levels to create tactile feedback. If you run it via separate software on a dedicated soundcard, depending on the game running, that software hooks into then memory of the running sim and reads the telemetry, thus creating a separate sound signal for the buttkicker that is not reliant on the main sound output. Via this way, you can simulate each end of a racing car (each wheel for example). So the two methods of operation are a bit different.

but both are loving cool, they shake your butt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

It looks like the buttkicker gamer comes with a y splitter.

It does yeah, I run that into my audio interfaces headphone out socket and also have headphones in there for recording music (I have separate wireless headphones for VR / gaming etc).
The audio interface has a dedicated headphone level knob so it's super easy to dial it in perfectly