Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I can't believe that Rachel finds out her real mom is a Sith Lord and Chloe astrally projects herself across the entire universe after smoking a dankass blunt.

I'm hoping they'll finally reveal who Max's parents are and she becomes a Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have seen TLJ and can safely conclude that I don't give a single poo poo about Star Wars anymore and every moment from Life is Strange is about 100x better, please bring on the teenage drama.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not to mention the fact that, aside from the bonus episode, we're most likely never going to see any of these characters again after episode 3 (unless they decide to make more side games like this in the future) so it's nice that we got this at all to be honest. There is that web series that's apparently coming out eventually but I'm guessing that's just going to more or less just be an adaption of the first game (I am kind of curious how they're going to make that show unique as otherwise it's basically going to come off as Twin Peaks with superpowers).

Like I said before, maybe DontNod will manage to make lightning strike twice and the new cast in LiS 2 will be just as endearing. I wouldn't be surprised if we see something at E3 to be honest (still hoping for a Switch version this time around as well as ports of the previous two games). As for episode 3 I am still curious how far they plan to go with the ending (that is, whether we'll be seeing some kind of flash forward or not), since we know she's back for the bonus episode, a last minute Ashly Burch cameo would be cool as well though probably not likely.

Damon is probably going to be dead or in prison by the end of the game, Sera will most likely wind up dying or skipping town and while we know from the trailer that there will be some sort of encounter with Eliot (we see a shot of Chloe in a room throwing a trophy at him then later running out of the same room), I'm guessing it'll probably be brief.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 16, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently the original game is now avaialble on IOS.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-12-13-life-is-strange-is-heading-to-mobile-this-week

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just found and bought it on the App Store and came to post that too. I wasn’t really planning on another playthrough but I wanted to support them with a purchase. So now it looks like I am going to do a playthrough. I wonder if they edited anything - the App Store is pretty restrictive and having scenes with drug use, suicide, torture etc. seems like poo poo they’d restrict.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rio posted:

I just found and bought it on the App Store and came to post that too. I wasn’t really planning on another playthrough but I wanted to support them with a purchase. So now it looks like I am going to do a playthrough. I wonder if they edited anything - the App Store is pretty restrictive and having scenes with drug use, suicide, torture etc. seems like poo poo they’d restrict.

That'd be weird as it would require ommiting or altering several large chunks of the game. For anyone who's tried it though, how awkward is it to control the game with a touchscreen?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

rio posted:

I’d like to know how it runs on iOS if you get it because I’m thinking about gifting it to a friend.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I just finished episode two. I completely 100% feel like the prequel episodes are better than any of the original episodes. I'm loving them to death. Literally the only downside I have with the prequel is that Ashley Burch isn't voicing Chloe, and even then, the new voice for Chloe is perfectly fine past the initial mill part (and a few parts here and there). I LOVE the relationship between Chloe and Rachel, all the scene with just the two of them are cute AF. Both of them are such interesting compelling characters, I'm totally captivated so far for both episodes. Episode 2 does feel like it ended a little too soon though.

Chloe and Rachel just have a chemistry that is just way better than Chloe and Max. The entire scene after the play on the street is so good. The part where Rachel says something to the effect of "I don't know what this is but it's awesome and intense" and etc is so good. Like I said all the parts that are just Chloe and Rachel one on one are phenomenal. The voice acting is very good, Rachel in particular I feel is really good.

I am very :confused: over these two choices though, because what the gently caress is wrong with the majority of players:

Are you joking me? Like these two didn't even feel like choices to me, there's one clear response to these. It doesn't matter that in the future David comes through saves Max and catches Jefferson. He's a total rear end in a top hat misogynistic dickhead coming in to a family that's already broken and making it more broken. Sorry Joyce, but you are 100% in the wrong here and David isn't Chloe's dad. Maybe I have stronger feelings on this cause I've been through a divorce with a stepdad who was an rear end (not physically abusive but otherwise an rear end) and I feel like you're crazy if you choose the other options here. And like who the gently caress would COMPLY with that fascist cop bullshit of emptying my pockets, get the gently caress out of here

Also I'm confused about "you paid back the debt to Frank" choice, because as far as I'm aware, I already did that? During the mill scene? What other debt is there

Before the Storm is loving great. I dunno if it's just that I went into it with very low expectations because what right does this PREQUEL that REPLACED the best voice in the first game that's NOT even done by the same studio (as far as I know? It's not Dontnod) have being so good

edit: Also the faces being much more animated and expressive ESPECIALLY in the eyes, is a HUGE plus for me. The previously mentioned Chloe and Rachel one on one scenes are made even better by the face animations being way better than the first game. And mostly all the characters mouths are animated to the words instead of just flapping up and down!

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 17, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the pay back your debt to Frank thing is only if you didn't already do it at the mill. And yeah, David probably means well given what we learn about him later but he really comes off as an rear end in a top hat here (especially with comments like "You've had enough of a vaction from having a father figure" and "You'll see what a stable home is like"). Also, nothing Chloe says about him is particularly wrong when you think about it (hell, depending on a choice you make there's a part in the first game where not only does he flat out hit her, he then tells her she deserved it).

I like Joyce a lot but both here and in the first game she is way too quick to take David's side and seems like she's trying to bury the past rather than just move on from it (especially since she should know better than anyone how close Chloe was with her dad). It just comes off like nobody really gives a poo poo what Chloe thinks at times.

I do agree that this is better than the original in some aspects (it probably should have been at least one episode longer though to make things feel less rushed) and Kylie Brown is perfect as Rachel (to the point where I kind of wish they'll find an excuse to bring her back one day). Hopefully this'll keep up and we'll get a finale that's better than the one in the first game.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 17, 2017

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I emptied my pockets because there was nothing in there, and it just makes David look bad.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

bobjr posted:

I emptied my pockets because there was nothing in there, and it just makes David look bad.

But that to me was the most like "If you have nothing to hide let the cop search your car" option which gently caress that. Which goes double for someone who isn't a cop, just some rear end in a top hat who wants to replace your dead dad.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yeah, I had nothing to hide, so it felt good to just twist the knife on them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was just not playing along with David's poo poo at all after his making a snide comment about William like he did. No pockets, no games, go away David

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering all the poo poo she's had to deal with since she was about 14 it's amazing that Chloe even still functions as well as she does (I've said it before, but it's like the universe itself has a grudge against the poor girl for no real logical reason).

After spending the last five years of her life being jerked around by David, Wells, a wierd raven using her dad as a meatpuppet, Rachel to some extent and the universe in general nobody should want to see Arcadia Bay nuked from orbit more than Chloe Price, yet in the end she's still the one who pulls herself and Max back from the brink and offers to give herself up to save everyone (and even then, only one person will be left who knows the truth). This is one of the reasons why she's probably my favorite character in the series so far. It's kind of ironic that the foul-mouthed stoner is ultimately a better person than a large chunk of the cast.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 17, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Chloe and Rachel just have a chemistry that is just way better than Chloe and Max. The entire scene after the play on the street is so good. The part where Rachel says something to the effect of "I don't know what this is but it's awesome and intense" and etc is so good. Like I said all the parts that are just Chloe and Rachel one on one are phenomenal. The voice acting is very good, Rachel in particular I feel is really good.

Even before BtS was a thing I always felt like the relationship between Chloe and Rachel was a lot more romantically charged than Chloe and Max, who I just saw as a really intense friendship. But two years of fandom have kind of snowballed the entire Pricefield thing.

quote:

I am very :confused: over these two choices though, because what the gently caress is wrong with the majority of players:

Are you joking me? Like these two didn't even feel like choices to me, there's one clear response to these. It doesn't matter that in the future David comes through saves Max and catches Jefferson. He's a total rear end in a top hat misogynistic dickhead coming in to a family that's already broken and making it more broken. Sorry Joyce, but you are 100% in the wrong here and David isn't Chloe's dad. Maybe I have stronger feelings on this cause I've been through a divorce with a stepdad who was an rear end (not physically abusive but otherwise an rear end) and I feel like you're crazy if you choose the other options here. And like who the gently caress would COMPLY with that fascist cop bullshit of emptying my pockets, get the gently caress out of here

:agreed: I refuse to comply with fascists. Also if you keep your weed you get a hidden moment of calm moment in the dressing room before the play where Chloe blazes up.

quote:

Also I'm confused about "you paid back the debt to Frank" choice, because as far as I'm aware, I already did that? During the mill scene? What other debt is there

I think this % is the total amount of players who paid Frank back specifically with the money you took from Drew. So in other words, if you repaid Frank with the stolen cash in Episode 1, gave the money to Damon/gave it back to Drew in Episode 2, your actions won't count toward its completion.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I have never missed an opportunity to be defiant toward David no matter what. I think it was honestly the tool box comment (every home needs a good toolbox, when she’s sitting there with her dad’s) that made me decide that Chloe would always fight him on principle. Also, if you refuse the fistbump he grabs your wrist and forces you to do it anyway so gently caress that rear end in a top hat forever.

I actually do get Joyce, though. She’s struggling on a low income, every day is tough, she’s been through so much grief and has probably felt very alone facing it all. David’s no dreamboat but a small town probably has slim pickings. Doesn’t change things for Chloe, though, she’s gonna hate on that rear end in a top hat no matter how much Joyce begs her to give him a chance.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I complied with the search because I had no weed and I knew it would make him look like a shithead in front of Joyce.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

No weed but didn't comply anyway because gently caress the police.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Even before BtS was a thing I always felt like the relationship between Chloe and Rachel was a lot more romantically charged than Chloe and Max, who I just saw as a really intense friendship. But two years of fandom have kind of snowballed the entire Pricefield thing.

I find Pricefield odd and maybe even a little off-putting because it seems to come from a place of not really valuing deep friendships, but maybe that’s just my bias from sailing a different ‘ship. I don’t normally get into shipping, but I shipped Max/Victoria hard from early on and I think their interactions in the William Lives timeline validate this. I still played the game as gay as possible with Max/Chloe, but in the end I saved the bay in order to save the bae.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

UnknownMercenary posted:

No weed but didn't comply anyway because gently caress the police.

Hell yeah

I've been thinking about this game since finishing episode 2 yesterday, and the more I think about it the more I KIND OF wish the first game didn't happen? I loved the first game don't get me wrong, but I kind of wish I was enjoying this cute little coming of age love story with maybe some weird twist between Chloe and Rachel without knowing about the poo poo that happens later. Both Rachel dying and her getting with Frank for some reason because seeing as how this game takes place years before the first game, there's inevitably going to be something that causes Rachel and Chloe to split apart and she'll go to Frank for some reason. I watched the play on youtube again, and I think it's interesting how so many of you guys came off of it with kind of a negative view toward Rachel. I totally get why, there's this whole master slave thing going on that I think Rachel can easily be seen as kind of being manipulative. Which sure is probably true to some degree. But what I took MORE from that play is how she always has to hide who she is all the time when it comes to everyone, until she met Chloe. Like the way I saw it, if this was just a conversation they were having one on one, Rachel would be saying that Chloe doesn't have to deal with all her poo poo alone and to come be her partner in crime. There's a point where Chloe basically asks "all these adventures are fun, but do you care about me, for me?" and Rachel slams her staff down and it seems likes she's dodging the question with her response. But I think the staff slamming is kind of meant to represent "that's a ridiculous question" and sort of begs Chloe to not leave her in the guise of this slave/master play. I don't think the slave/master thing is meant to be AS important as it seems here. Chloe is someone who doesn't want to stick around and deal with problems, she's had enough of that. But Rachel is basically begging her to not go off on her own but instead of face crap together. The going on adventures together thing is just part of that really. I think people read that part as being selfish on Rachels end at the cost of Chloe but I don't think that's true

That all being said of course she does eventually get with Frank and gives HIM the bracelet and goes on adventures with so :shrug: I just found the play really cute and didn't think it was quite as damning to Rachel as people seemed to make it sound.

But anyway. Like I said I think the romance stuff is CUTE and wish I didn't know ahead of time it was gonna come crashing down super hard in various ways

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

I don’t think Rachel’s bad at all; I think she’s a teenager who is naturally able to influence people and get what she wants from them, and she’s so used to it she probably has no idea how much she does it. I absolutely think she’s being as real with Chloe as she can be, but what remains to be seen is how real she can be with anyone, including herself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I do believe Rachel's feelings for Chloe are genuine, but in the same way that acting represents some idealized version of ourselves to communicate a greater truth, there is always an aspect of performance to Rachel's character. Taken in the most negative light you could see Rachel as impulsive or manipulative, but to Chloe she represents everything that's missing from her own life. I think Rachel is aware of the power she has over Chloe, but doesn't want to harm her, only to be desired in return as any normal teenager would. She's a complex person, and I don't think you can judge Rachel now for what happens three years later with Frank. Three years is a long time to be in a relationship, and it's likely that Rachel was becoming increasingly desperate and bored with Arcadia Bay herself. You get the impression that by the timeline of events in Life is Strange that things had kind of cooled off between Chloe and Rachel for awhile, but Chloe never stopped wanting it to be something more. We never see that falling out process, only Chloe's account of it, and so it's easier to pass judgment on Rachel for keeping her relationship with Frank hidden when it likely could have been because Rachel had already moved on by that point and didn't want to hurt Chloe.

As for hoping Rachel's eventual fate never occurs well, that sadness is part of what I think makes Before the Storm's emotional impact land so well. When Rachel talks about climbing Everest or going on these adventures with Chloe that we know will never happen, it hurts in a good way. I'd be curious to see what the reaction of someone who played BtS first would be, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Chloe doesn't find out about Frank and Rachel's relationship until the first game so I don't think they need to break up for that to happen. I don't think Rachel is a bad person per se but she is childish and can't really see past her own nose when it comes to the future. What we've seen of the real Rachel Amber shows is a terrified young girl desperate for some kind of escape from her reality. This is made worse at the end of episode 2 where it's basically confirmed that her entire life has been one big lie. This is probably why whenever something doesn't go her way (even a little thing like getting bumped from a school play) she reacts rather violently or petty.

Chloe is also desperate for an escape (remember, a lot of her punk attitude itself is a mask) so she is either blind to or willingly ignoring the warning signs regarding Rachel, which of course will lead them down a dark road in the future. Only difference is, Chloe eventually managed to pull herself out of the fire with a little help from Max whereas Rachel unfortunately might have been a lost cause from the start (Chloe was probably the best thing that ever happened to Rachel but I'm not sure if she ever fully realized that).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 18, 2017

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I have seen TLJ and can safely conclude that I don't give a single poo poo about Star Wars anymore and every moment from Life is Strange is about 100x better, please bring on the teenage drama.

Wanted to double back on this now that I've seen it. I'm feeling very similar. The Star Wars I loved and grew up with is over. I don't mean it in a bitter way, but they closed the book on it for me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I appreciate the responses! And you're right. I'm literally watching a playthrough of it right now from a youtuber I like, and watching the whole cute train ride sequence again, but then when it gets to the overlook, when the machine eats her quarter she gets uncharacteristically angry and smacks the machine then pouts about it until you solve the problem.

Canemacar posted:

Wanted to double back on this now that I've seen it. I'm feeling very similar. The Star Wars I loved and grew up with is over. I don't mean it in a bitter way, but they closed the book on it for me.

Chloe and Rachel, a more compelling story than Star Wars. Unironically :agreed:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ya'll are dumb, star wars owns bones.

Also star wars is a dumb story about space wizards fighting with lightning sticks, its not really trying to do the same thing as a twee lesbian drama

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I hope the next Star Wars is a twee lesbian drama.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

its not really trying to do the same thing as a twee lesbian drama

Well maybe they should consider doing that :colbert:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kylo is most of the way there already

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

When I first played LiS Chloe kind of got on my nerves a bit but as the game went on and especially with BtS I actually found myself agreeing with her more often then not. Which is why once the bonus episode is out I plan on doing a full chronological playthrough of the entire saga (and maybe even finish it off with a run through the Bea route of Night in the Woods for thematic reasons), I'm curious to see how much that knowledge ends up changing the experience of the first game.

BtS so far has also made me appreciate the endings of the first game a lot more as in a sense they're both about saving Chloe. Sacrificing her pacifies the souls of both Chloe and Rachel and creates a domino effect that winds up taking down Jefferson and (presumably) the Prescotts as well.

The whole thing is basically a cycle, the town became what it is because of the Prescotts, Rachel became who she was because of her family and eventually died because of Nathan and Jefferson, Nathan became who he was because of Jefferson and his dad, Chloe became who she was because of a combination of Rachel and the loss of her father and Max and finally Max became what she was at the end of LiS because of all of that (though mostly Chloe and Jefferson). So therefore if you cut one link then the whole chain falls apart. Chloe dies a hero but only Max is left realizing it, which in an ironic sense kind of caps off Chloe's whole arc perfectly.

On the other hand, accepting fate and letting nature take its course removes Chloe's last link to the past and gives her a chance to start over, now mature enough to help Max and herself get through it. Also there's evidence in both games that the town itself is kind of like a disease that actively corrupts and/or hurts its inhabitants, so cutting it off at the source by letting the tornado hit might have been the best course of action.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 18, 2017

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Anyone replay LiS while you were waiting? I might try it after this final episode but it will be hard to relive that initial story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

succ posted:

Anyone replay LiS while you were waiting? I might try it after this final episode but it will be hard to relive that initial story.

Just replaying the game after beating it is enough to change how you view the initial story so throwing the prequel in there would probably only heighten that effect.

Depending on how they decide to end BtS I personally think there would be no issue with a newbie to the franchise playing it first and still being able to follow along with the story (aside from maybe having no idea who the character you're playing as is at first but you could probably say the same thing about Max in the first game).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

exquisite tea posted:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

It's gonna be the gaybaes, Finn and Poe. Rosie is going to be so embarrassed once Finn tells her she's barking up the wrong tree.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I appreciate the responses! And you're right. I'm literally watching a playthrough of it right now from a youtuber I like, and watching the whole cute train ride sequence again, but then when it gets to the overlook, when the machine eats her quarter she gets uncharacteristically angry and smacks the machine then pouts about it until you solve the problem.

Let's not forget that Rachel's secret motive for the outing was to spy on her dad, and once she saw the truth, she took out her aggression on Chloe and refused to explain herself.

exquisite tea posted:

I do believe Rachel's feelings for Chloe are genuine, but in the same way that acting represents some idealized version of ourselves to communicate a greater truth, there is always an aspect of performance to Rachel's character.

Rachel is loved by everyone, but she doesn't seem to have anyone she's particularly close to. I think Rachel feels something intense and genuine for Chloe that's she's never had with anyone else, but doesn't really know how to handle it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tbh this sums up Rachel and Chloe the best

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rUCVOAr6Prc

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Does the download for Episode 3 unlock at midnight tomorrow? I don't mind staying up for this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Delsaber posted:

Does the download for Episode 3 unlock at midnight tomorrow? I don't mind staying up for this.

I think I heard it comes out around noon on the 20th but I'm not entirely sure on that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

To be specific:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/940989971803947008

So earlier than the 20th. Which KIND OF sucks to be honest because I only have about an hour to play it before I have to go to work ALL DAY and then can't really play it again until like. Midnight. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wait, I'm getting it tmw morning now? Aw yiss. If I burn through the rest of NieR: A tonight I'll have plenty of time to do BtS ep3 before I leave town Friday.

• Locked thread