Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guy Mann posted:

One doc on the subject I watched back in the 90s even had surviving people from the era complaining about the "do-gooders" trying to put them out of work from some misplaced sense of righteousness.

Sounds like some of the issues surrounding sex workers that we have to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
The sugar-coated PT Barnum movie capping off the year in which the big Hollywood story was “all these people are terrible pieces of poo poo actually” seems almost poetic.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Mortal Engines teaser, this took forever to show up online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupYIggOq38

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is this political?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tars Tarkas posted:

No Mad Max, no sell

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That looks really bad because of how the trailer is cut, like the way it shows their house-car shaking and getting pulled up the ramp and keeps cutting to this perfectly level and still platform on it that the characters are standing on.

But it's a Mad Max-ish post apocalyptic film so I don' t know if I can skip it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

"What if cities, but too much"?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Well to be fair if you listen to what actual freak show performers of the time have said working in a freak show meant you could actually make a living and do something with your life and travel with people from similar happenstance and was way better than the alternative of rotting in a sanitarium or church and trying to get by in a pre-ADA world.
To be even more fair it still meant that you had to debase yourself, often for very little money. P. T. Barnum also purchases a blind and paralyzed slave which make it even more laughable to portray him in any positive light.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

This looks like Inverted World but is based on a steampunk version of that sci-fi classic?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

D&D alignment makes no sense and encourages poor table play, Grey Jedi is just people who arent exposed to religious reformation movements struggling to come up with Reform Jedi or Jedi of the Latter Day Force Sensitive

i agree with the former, but how do you figure on the latter? i would assume the concept comes more from people who are exposed to religious reformation movements struggling to plug the idea into Star Wars.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Alhazred posted:

To be even more fair it still meant that you had to debase yourself, often for very little money. P. T. Barnum also purchases a blind and paralyzed slave which make it even more laughable to portray him in any positive light.

Beat me to it, but yeah.

Do they get into the fact that he purchased a disable black woman as a slave, and then put her on display? And that, even though she was quite elderly, lied and said she was over 100 years old as well as George Washington's wet nurse? And when abolitionists were picking up steam he lied and said she was a freed woman, trying to raise money to free her (nonexistent) family? And that people just threw money in support of helping her family? And when she died he sold tickets to her autopsy (so the medical world could learn her secrets of long life)? And when the newspapers reported the autopsy's findings (that she was no more than 80 at best), he paid off competing newspapers to report that the autopsy was a sham and that the 100+ year woman was still alive?

gently caress Barnum and gently caress that movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i agree with the former, but how do you figure on the latter? i would assume the concept comes more from people who are exposed to religious reformation movements struggling to plug the idea into Star Wars.

Oh no I just meant using the naming convention “Grey Jedi”, not the conceit itself.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is this political?

The second book in the series mentions that the 8-armed all consuming god of Municipal Darwinism (the idea that bigger Traction Cities should eat smaller ones for their resources and that this is obviously the only natural way of things and that anyone who disagrees is a dangerous radical) is called The Thatcher. The books, at least, are political.

The movie might ignore all that subtext in favour of wham bam action excitement, but I'm hopeful that it won't. Because it's the whole point. A movie with the core theme of "this way of life is unsustainable, especially with people going to hideous lengths to make sure it keeps going with them on top" is pretty relevant, after all.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Red Letter Media review of The Last Jedi is going to be the first video I've seen of theirs for a long time. For better or worse it's going to become the Official Star Wars Fan Opinion.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Hmmm...

quote:

A film simply titled G.I. Joe will hit theaters March 27, 2020. The studio previously released two films based on the Hasbro property — G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) and G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013). 2020 will be a Hasbro year, as the studio has set Micronauts to open seven months later on Oct. 16, 2020. The toy property follows a race of Alien warriors from an alternate dimension that's microscopic. Paramount also carved out a July 23, 2021 date for Dungeons & Dragons, based on the table top roll playing game, and set aside Oct. 1, 2021 for an untitled Hasbro event film.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/paramount-sets-gi-joe-dungeons-dragons-release-dates-1069024

I hope it is Transformers vs. Dungeons & Dragons

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

They already made that movie starring Mark Wahlberg.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Which film will be the worst in 2018? Contenders include Ready Player One, Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Solo, Robin Hood: Origins, A Wrinkle In Time, Alita: Battle Angels, Moral Engines, 50 Shades Freed, Death Wish, Sherlock Gnomes, God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness, and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Worst can include most disappointing, least amount of risk taking, colossal critical failure, insulting to the audience, ugliest movie, ill-timed release due to current events, box office bombing, cast member is a rapist, or studio destroyed by fraud related to the movie.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

Which film will be the worst in 2018? Contenders include Ready Player One, Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Solo, Robin Hood: Origins, A Wrinkle In Time, Alita: Battle Angels, Moral Engines, 50 Shades Freed, Death Wish, Sherlock Gnomes, God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness, and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Worst can include most disappointing, least amount of risk taking, colossal critical failure, insulting to the audience, ugliest movie, ill-timed release due to current events, box office bombing, cast member is a rapist, or studio destroyed by fraud related to the movie.

Ready Player One might be interesting in that it’s based on the worst book ever published but directered by Spielberg

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cptn_dr posted:

The second book in the series mentions that the 8-armed all consuming god of Municipal Darwinism (the idea that bigger Traction Cities should eat smaller ones for their resources and that this is obviously the only natural way of things and that anyone who disagrees is a dangerous radical) is called The Thatcher. The books, at least, are political.

The movie might ignore all that subtext in favour of wham bam action excitement, but I'm hopeful that it won't. Because it's the whole point. A movie with the core theme of "this way of life is unsustainable, especially with people going to hideous lengths to make sure it keeps going with them on top" is pretty relevant, after all.

Peter Jackson tends to lay out political themes in his films pretty obviously, everyone ignores it because of the special effects.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Tars Tarkas posted:

My money's on Tomb Raider, Robin Hood: Origins is still in that weird, "What the gently caress are they thinking?" space where it might actually turn out to be either surprisingly good or exceptionally bad enough to be interesting.

Ready Player One will be well-made, but reactionary. Alita: Battle Angel and Death Wish will be the best of the above films listed, but will have the most complaining about them. A Wrinkle in Time will be the most disappointing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tars Tarkas posted:

Pacific RIm is gonna own.

They did get Charlie Day, right?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdzQUhlZnGA

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jackie Chan are in a movie together thanks to Russia and China.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wrinkle in Time's trailer was okay. Is there bad buzz on it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wrinkle in Time's trailer was okay. Is there bad buzz on it?

People are dumb.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It has the problem where its ideas seem super generic because it's old.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tars Tarkas posted:

really wish there was a film called the Moral Engines

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mortal Engines looks like a steampunk version of Overman King Gainer.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Saddest Rhino posted:

really wish there was a film called the Moral Engines

D'oh, but at least I made sure it wasn't Mortal Instruments like I first wrote!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/942792521784029184

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

This will be better than the movie. Might not even bother paying a ticket, it isn't going to be better than this.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I hope that playa during the credits

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jack Black is a gift too good for our world.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apparently Jumanji opened better than The Last Jedi in my country.

The again apparently Transformers 5 outgrossed The Force Awakens and Rogue One here, and it’s still the top movie this year.

got any sevens posted:

I hope that playa during the credits

Unfortunately no, according to Jack Black.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

Let's not forget there's also going to be a Slenderman movie from Sony getting wide release in May.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Let's not forget there's also going to be a Slenderman movie from Sony getting wide release in May.

Does the goon responsible for that get a paycheck because that's pretty hosed up if not.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

Does the goon responsible for that get a paycheck because that's pretty hosed up if not.

He got a writing credit on the imdb.com page for the movie so I'm pretty sure he got $$$$

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Isn’t IMDb basically a wiki though?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I vaguely remember that said goon stated in an interview years ago that he doesn't really give a gently caress about royalties for slenderman, as most projects bear basically no resemblance to his original photoshops and writing and he didn't like the idea of taking money for ideas that werent really his.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If I created Slenderman I most definitely would give a gently caress about royalties if Sony was making a movie about it. Cut me my check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Star Wars: Solo comes out in 5 months and there hasn't been a trailer or anything. The last thing I've seen was from a few months ago when Ron Howard revealed the name of the movie. Is it going to be THAT bad? They're afraid to show anything at all from it.

• Locked thread