Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gamerofthegame posted:

wtf devs stop sucking final fantasy's dick make some cool airship rpgs

Give us more variety in general. You can put literally anything in your games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Black Stones posted:

The requirements is lightning - 3, ether gun - 3, and you have to bring Ursula. Because you only have 6 slots and Ursula you have to double up one. The other mission had flame - 3, shield axe - 3. Which I finally managed to get.

It’s not a huge deal as the missions aren’t required, I just personally want to get all merc missions cleared.
oh it's loving URSULA's higher tier stuff

I retract my question I quit hers because they were bullshit and I'm not even remotely surprised that they get worse

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh it's loving URSULA's higher tier stuff

I retract my question I quit hers because they were bullshit and I'm not even remotely surprised that they get worse

You can coast on her quests that give out 2 notes because they can be done in 4 min or less, I’ve almost maxed out her soul voice and then have 2 others left to do. It’s not hard, just long because you have to get up to 99 notes for all her stuff.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there a reason Square hasn't ported FFT to PC besides being Square?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

corn in the bible posted:

have you played saga 3 ds it's weird as gently caress

e: If you do play Saga Frontier do not play as Riki or Lute you will thank me for this advice

Lute's fine to play as. Riki sucks because Virgil's a dumb bullshit fight.

Getsuya posted:

Last Remnant PC is the best SaGa game. By a landslide.

TLR is a garbage game and always will be.

Yes I know the PC version unfucks a ton of issues the Xbox version had. No that doesn't make it a good game, just a mediocre one instead of a crime against gaming like the Xbox version is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

FFX is the best mainline FF, X-2 is the best spin off/sequel

Everyone look at this post and argue about how Tactics is the best spin off.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RareAcumen posted:

Everyone look at this post and argue about how Tactics is the best spin off.

Tactics is a bad game, Vagrant Story and FFXIV are the only good ivalice games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a reason Square hasn't ported FFT to PC besides being Square?

because they don't have a reason to? the last time they rereleased fft was on psp, they're not exactly keeping anything from the platform. making a new release specifically for pc would call for making new hd assets as well as a lot of technical work

e; i guess there is the ios verison? but that's still not really keeping anything off of pc and uh, if rs2 is anything to go by it's not what you'd want

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 18, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the best sequel is lightning returns, anyway

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

because they don't have a reason to? the last time they rereleased fft was on psp, they're not exactly keeping anything from the platform. making a new release specifically for pc would call for making new hd assets as well as a lot of technical work

e; i guess there is the ios verison? but that's still not really keeping anything off of pc and uh, if rs2 is anything to go by it's not what you'd want

because I'd like to buy FFT instead just emulating the psp version

The ios version looks good and those graphics would be fine for PC.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
You guys are all spelling Dirge of Cerberus really weird. I think your autocorrects are broken.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The Colonel posted:

tidus isn't anakin skywalker because anakin skywalker is a stiffly written character who's arc is murdering everyone cause an old man took advantage of his boner and tidus is a guy with awkward voice direction who walked into a hosed up depression death world and decided it was bullshit and consistently acts towards trying to make it not be a hosed up death world anymore, or at least to help yuna escape from being doomed to die for the hosed up death world. tidus wants everything because he wants a world where people don't have to be miserable and yuna doesn't have to die, not because he's a whiny baby who needs to learn a moral about how you should just accept that the world sucks

i don't even like ffx and i feel like that is a very basic part of his role as a character

i really think the vast majority of tidus' negative reception is solely due to his VA hamstringing the character

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tidus' va isn't bad though, he has a couple obnoxious scenes but that's down to voice direction like the rest of the cast, not his ability as an actor

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Getsuya posted:

You guys are all spelling Dirge of Cerberus really weird. I think your autocorrects are broken.
I've gotten a renewed appreciation for Cait Sith recently. The people who try and patch him out of the game are crazy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm just really down on FFX because I like having armor to equip to people instead of one accessory. I dunno, it really bothers me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

HGH posted:

I've gotten a renewed appreciation for Cait Sith recently. The people who try and patch him out of the game are crazy.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

GulagDolls posted:

i really think the vast majority of tidus' negative reception is solely due to his VA hamstringing the character

Nah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej-ovW8-Rq4&t=532s

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Getsuya posted:

I bought into the FFX hate-hype of guys like Spoony and convinced myself it was the shittiest FF on the planet. Then when the remaster came out I bought it and played it and realized it was a pretty good game and that I shouldn't trust opinions of people who make money by hating things.

I played FFX before I even knew what a Spoony was and I absolutely hated it. Couldn't stand Tidus, he sapped all the fun out of the game. After trying a couple times to get past my dislike of Tidus, I gave up and sold the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm pretty sure that people here just don't like 2, 3DS, 8, 13, and 13-2. I don't know if critical opinion has shifted around on that though but I'm pretty sure those are the ones people don't care for.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There is someone that loves both 3 remake on 3ds and 13-2

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RareAcumen posted:

I'm pretty sure that people here just don't like 2, 3DS, 8, 13, and 13-2. I don't know if critical opinion has shifted around on that though but I'm pretty sure those are the ones people don't care for.
Small segments of us (me, the degenerate) like 8 and 13 and 13-2. That said, ever since that one dude got banned and that other dude vanished 3DS has no defenders except rutabaga, who doesn't post in this thread often.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Small segments of us (me, the degenerate) like 8 and 13 and 13-2. That said, ever since that one dude got banned and that other dude vanished 3DS has no defenders except rutabaga, who doesn't post in this thread often.

How significantly different is the 3DS version of 3 compared to the original? I've only played 3 DS but I always sort of figured that the frustrating components of the game sort of mimicked the original release.

Also I think your enjoyment of FF8 mostly comes down to how much you enjoy it as a game that you play, as opposed to all the story and character components

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wrong thread?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

How significantly different is the 3DS version of 3 compared to the original? I've only played 3 DS but I always sort of figured that the frustrating components of the game sort of mimicked the original release.

They lowered the max amount of enemies per battle from 4 to 3, and to balance that they made all the enemies stronger and gave bosses extra turns which ends up adding a lot of bullshit to the game that the NES version didn't have (not that it didn't have its own share)

EDIT: Also instead of lowering your stats after switching jobs you spend Capacity Points (CP) to change jobs in the NES version, which you earn after battle so it's less of a pain in the rear end to switch jobs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Of the final fantasies that I've played enough of to have formed an opinion, here's my tier list (console indicated for rereleased games because I know for e.g. 3 it matters a lot). I'm reasonably certain this is an objective ranking and everybody who disagrees is wrong

GOAT
FF8 (PC)

Great games
FF7 (PC)
FF9 (PC)
FF10 (PS4)
FF14 HW
FF14 SB
FF13-2

Good games
FF6 (GBA)
FF10 (PS2)
FF14 ARR
FF10-2
Theatrhythm

Okay games
FF1 (GBA)
FF2 (GBA)
Lightning Returns
World of Final Fantasy

Bad games
FF4 (GBA)
FF13
FF15
FFTA

Terrible games
FF3 (Android)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

but hes awesome in this clip

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont really like any ff that much but i dig some of what 7 tries and lightning returns was neat. and i have a lot of respect and fondness for 9 though its combat/pace is atrocious

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Tae posted:

There is someone that loves both 3 remake on 3ds and 13-2

I like 3's remake a lot despite bouncing off the original hard and even think it's not even a difficult game in spite of the bullshit outside of like, one boss which is really terrible and unfun.

Literally my only real complaint with 13-2 is that the game is the most braindead easy RPG ever made and that's a huge disappointment given that 13 showed that SE does know how to balance a game for people that passed 2nd grade.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
13-2 ruled and I'm actually a little surprised goons are down on it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I like a lot of FF13-2 in theory but the absolutely rock-bottom difficulty kills it for me because the strength of FF13 was its combat system and short of doing a bare-bones no-leveling run (which hurts the fun monster mechanics in addition to other stuff) it ends up feeling absurdly boring to me, and I think LR did almost everything it did well better.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
13-2 was great except for the ending which retroactively ruined it and the fact that it retroactively ruins the (admittedly maybe a bit too) cheerful ending of 13.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

cheetah7071 posted:

Of the final fantasies that I've played enough of to have formed an opinion, here's my tier list (console indicated for rereleased games because I know for e.g. 3 it matters a lot). I'm reasonably certain this is an objective ranking and everybody who disagrees is wrong

No FF5, Gilgabot would have words with your list.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm sure 5 ruled but I haven't played it

Absence from the list is not to be interpreted as a positive or a negative

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Called 4 a bad game is cursed as hell

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I like 3's remake a lot despite bouncing off the original hard and even think it's not even a difficult game in spite of the bullshit outside of like, one boss which is really terrible and unfun.

Which boss? The bonus dungeon boss or some other one?

quote:

Literally my only real complaint with 13-2 is that the game is the most braindead easy RPG ever made and that's a huge disappointment given that 13 showed that SE does know how to balance a game for people that passed 2nd grade.

did you not do the bonus bosses or something

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm reasonably certain this is an objective ranking and everybody who disagrees is wrong

GOAT
FF8 (PC)

i agree

by goat you mean like the sports term where the goat is the failure who ruins everything, like a kicker who misses an easy field goal that would've won the super bowl, right

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
One of the series I’m looking at for my retro JRPG play throughs is the Momotaro Densetsu series. It’s a DQ clone with Japanese folklore as the setting and the first one ditched 4-5 towns’ worth of content to add in bathhouse scenes.

The creator stated in an interview: ‘I’m fairly sure ours is the only Famicom game to cut content for bathhouses’

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
13 is good

cheetah7071 posted:

The combat system is watered down in a bunch of aspects, more than it adds on, and monster collection isn't everyone's thing. The story and characters are sorta better than 13, but it's got a bunch of it's own issues there that make it only marginal. Also the big "fix" of the game was that it's a lot more free and open to explore than 13 was, but it mostly doesn't do anything cool with it and a lot of that just ends up meh at best and annoying at worst.

It's got some genuine cool things like Crazy Chocobo and Chronobind, but then there's genuine awful things like Academia 300 and the slots fragment. The bosses aren't terrible, but most of them aren't very notable or are any threat. Combat is extremely easy to exploit since there are a bunch of strong monster crystals that will just naturally come to the player eventually. When I revisted the game, I found that there was a lot more bad things that made the hour-to-hour experience tedious than good things that I wanted to find again.

It's not like, terrible, but it didn't really do anything outstanding, and LR did most things better than 13-2 so it's easy to overlook. At least 13 has the combat/balancing going for it, but 13-2 doesn't even have that. I do know a couple of people who like 13-2 the most but it's usually for some specific reasons (usually the monster crafting stuff).

Ventana fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 18, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Getsuya posted:

13-2 was great except for the ending which retroactively ruined it and the fact that it retroactively ruins the (admittedly maybe a bit too) cheerful ending of 13.

The ending of 13-2 is one of the best parts, which granted isn't saying much. It has some cool moments, Caius devouring the scenery, and a great but very poorly used soundtrack, but the combat is too easy except for the bonus bosses, and optimizing the monsters isn't very fun at least for me. Zombie academia is also absolutely miserable and I can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Kild posted:

Which boss? The bonus dungeon boss or some other one?

Garuda, for which there are only three viable strategies. One is make everyone Dragoons with Wind Spears, spam Jump, and pray that you kill him before he kills you. The other is to grind a Thief up to JLvl 99 so they can steal a Raven's Yawn from monkeys outside and then have a Scholar use it to oneshot him. Lastly you grind up like the mid-30s at a point in the game when you're probably going to be in the mid-20s and just kind of hope you win because that's how hard he hits.

Iron Giant I don't really count since you're expected to grind up to max everything to fight him anyway but a Viking with two shields (the only time that shields are good) makes him a lot more manageable.

Kild posted:

did you not do the bonus bosses or something

DLC bosses are good and super fun but those cost extra and even the hardest stuff in the base game like Yomi or Raspatil you can just kind of bowl over without much thought. Bosses in 13 are harder than that starting in chapter 4.