Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The ignorance here is accepting made up statistics about large population groups, especially when it fulfills that sweet confirmation bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Moxxis Endowment posted:

I mean, it's kind of hard to blame americans for being ignorant about even basic tax poo poo like the above when the full tax code is two 8 lb volumes.

You don’t need to read the loving tax code to have basic understanding of taxes

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

You don’t need to read the loving tax code to have basic understanding of taxes

Yeah the difference between credits/deductions and "how marginal taxes work" are incredibly basic and people get them wrong SO MUCH

Like I've even heard people be like "ugh that guy is just donating to charity for the tax break!!" and I'm like "you know that doesn't make it free right, it's still costing him/her money" and they just get confused

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Marketing New Brain posted:

My favorite is how so few people understand marginal tax rates in the U.S. It's always good to make as much money as possible, but people think jumping a tax bracket means their entire income will be taxed at the higher level.

So if the bracket was at $100,000, they'd rather earn $99,999 than $100,001, even though that just means they'd have less money, because they're clueless and think the entire sum would be taxed at an additional x% and not just the last two dollars.

Most Americans don't even understand where dollars come from or what currency is. They think money is something we dig out of the ground. That we might run out of dollars!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have met grown fully functional adults that think my bank prints money.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
my taxes are automatically calculated by the government and taken out of my monthly pay check

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jose posted:

my taxes are automatically calculated by the government and taken out of my monthly pay check

same

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Jose posted:

In the US, we have the tax preparation lobby to make things as difficult as possible.

No, really.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Having educated myself in Blockchain looks like my coinless brain was confusing the recently-famous SALT tax deductions with charitable donations.

It must be nice to live in a country where they just do it all for you. My understanding is that it would be simple for the IRS to do that here too but it would put HR Block and Turbotax either "out of business" or "down to a tiny nubbin."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Stefan Prodan posted:

Do you guys want to hear a good "doesn't understand tax credit vs deduction" story

I was buying a truck for our business and we ended up buying this Silverado from a guy in a nearby rural town

He said it had a new engine and transmission and sure enough he had invoices from a shop for both, and the truck wasn't even like 10 years old. I asked him why it needed a new engine and transmission so soon (only had like 50k miles) and he said "well because they're for my business, I replace them every couple of years on my work trucks"

And I didn't really want to openly just laugh at him so I said "But like, that's a tax deduction, not a credit, so you're still paying way more than you need to on these trucks. You aren't getting free engines." and he just gave me this look like I was a fuckin idiot who didn't understand taxes and goes "Well, it's been working for me so I'm just gonna keep doing it" so I just said "That's cool man"

That guy is still spending thousands per truck every couple years over what he needs to I guess

I can understand it insofar as they're rationalizing it that the "business" pays for it, not them personally. Problem is that up here at least, you still have to keep track of personal use of company vehicles, so you still pay tax on that part because it's a benefit in lieu of pay.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jose posted:

This is how it works here except you can also choose how much the gov't takes and then once a year when you file returns they figure out how much you owe or are owed back depending on withholdings you picked and what your tax bill comes out to be. So for example I usually like to have maximum withholdings so I get a rebate, other people prefer to have no or minimal withholdings so they have more cash in hand month to month but then they owe money at tax time.

Honestly for like 90% of people filing taxes really isn't hard at all. They have W2s and fill in some blanks and that's about it. I don't even get the "postcard" thing because unless you have assets and wealth it's basically that easy anyway.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 18, 2017

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

mojo1701a posted:

I can understand it insofar as they're rationalizing it that the "business" pays for it, not them personally. Problem is that up here at least, you still have to keep track of personal use of company vehicles, so you still pay tax on that part because it's a benefit in lieu of pay.

They were the owner of the business, lol

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

COMRADES posted:

This is how it works here except you can also choose how much the gov't takes and then once a year when you file returns they figure out how much you owe or are owed back depending on withholdings you picked and what your tax bill comes out to be. So for example I usually like to have maximum withholdings so I get a rebate, other people prefer to have no or minimal withholdings so they have more cash in hand month to month but then they owe money at tax time.

Honestly for like 90% of people filing taxes really isn't hard at all. They have W2s and fill in some blanks and that's about it. I don't even get the "postcard" thing because unless you have assets and wealth it's basically that easy anyway.

It's also entirely unnecessary. The IRS has all of the data and technology to fill out returns, and the 70% of filers who don't itemize could sign the default form and be done with it. This is successfully implemented in other countries and has been proposed here, but has gone nowhere due to a combination of (a) tax preparation lobbyists and (b) Republicans who want filing taxes to be as painful and visible as possible so people resent the process.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

COMRADES posted:

90% is a gross overestimation

It's probably closer to 50%

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My favorite is how so few people understand marginal tax rates in the U.S. It's always good to make as much money as possible, but people think jumping a tax bracket means their entire income will be taxed at the higher level.

So if the bracket was at $100,000, they'd rather earn $99,999 than $100,001, even though that just means they'd have less money, because they're clueless and think the entire sum would be taxed at an additional x% and not just the last two dollars.

I knew an accountant who thought this and argued with me on this. He changed his tune quick after he got fired for being a poo poo accountant though.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've met multiple people who have told me they turned down a raise because of that. Smart people with college degrees in engineering fields, too.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
It isn't quite that cut and dry with the US tax code because of the AMT and various credits that go away based on that $1 difference. For the vast majority of people making more is always better; but for some it can actually cost them money.

Raldikuk fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 18, 2017

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

COMRADES posted:

I found something in your last sentence, like who’d want that!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

COMRADES posted:

I've met multiple people who have told me they turned down a raise because of that. Smart people with college degrees in engineering fields, too.

Lol the smartest best people

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Raldikuk posted:

It isn't quite that quite and dry with the US tax code because of the AMT and various credits that go away based on that $1 difference. For the vast majority of people making more is always better; but for some it can actually cost them money.

Like who? Not saying it doesn’t happen, but I’m thinking really poor people who cross into paying tax, from nothing before. Which is a good thing imo that they want to work. The line has to be somewhere I guess. Maybe I misunderstand. Cost them money is broad.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's over guys. Bitcoin has won.

https://office-watch.com/2017/excel-to-support-bitcoin/

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

Like who? Not saying it doesn’t happen, but I’m thinking really poor people who cross into paying tax, from nothing before. Which is a good thing imo that they want to work. The line has to be somewhere I guess. Maybe I misunderstand. Cost them money is broad.

An example would be the ACA subsidies, after 400% federal poverty level you are cut off so a few extra dollars can cost thousands. Here is an article about how that could happen specifically with those. But there are many credits and such that are tied directly to income and generally congress sets up "cliffs" where after a certain point it goes away; rather than having it fade down to zero gradually.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Has for ages - always crashes on me.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Pyromancer posted:

He's not entirely wrong, in many countries you can tax deduct small donations without providing a proof, but it's something fairly insignificant like $200/year.
However it doesn't discount your tax bill by 200, just reduces taxable base by 200.

Pretty sure there is no country where you deduct the donation from your tax. It's always from your taxable income.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Oh god, this. I hear this one all the time.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Pretty sure there is no country where you deduct the donation from your tax. It's always from your taxable income.

The difference is between a deduction and a credit.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Moxxis Endowment posted:

I mean, it's kind of hard to blame americans for being ignorant about even basic tax poo poo like the above when the full tax code is two 8 lb volumes.

I love a "haha americans" thing as much as the next guy but not understanding this basic poo poo is a problem in Australia too

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The difference is between a deduction and a credit.

Yes I know...

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
There are charitable donations that earn you $0.60 credit for edit $1 donated.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 18, 2017

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Raldikuk posted:

An example would be the ACA subsidies, after 400% federal poverty level you are cut off so a few extra dollars can cost thousands. Here is an article about how that could happen specifically with those. But there are many credits and such that are tied directly to income and generally congress sets up "cliffs" where after a certain point it goes away; rather than having it fade down to zero gradually.

Yeah I’ve heard that before I guess. Just change it to be a sliding scale instead of hard cut offs? Not sell more private insurance.

But anyways I looked at that sites About page, which won’t let me c/p, and it’s an insurance company surrogate that is for profit.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/about/

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

There are charitable donations that earn you $0.60 credit for edit $1 donated.

Yes but I don't know of anywhere where you would just deduct all of your donations directly off your tax bill, is what I'm saying in what I imagined to be very clear words.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
My understanding about how charitable donations work is that if I donate $1, I get to subtract $1 from the amount used to calculate my taxable income.

The effect is that for every $1 I donate, the total income tax I end up paying is reduced by approximately 25 cents.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah I’ve heard that before I guess. Just change it to be a sliding scale instead of hard cut offs? Not sell more private insurance.

But anyways I looked at that sites About page, which won’t let me c/p, and it’s an insurance company surrogate that is for profit.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/about/

It definitely should be a sliding scale to avoid the problems. The source might be a for profit; but the information is legitimate. Making just a little bit more can put you into a world of hurt in a few cases.

This of course isn't the case for 99.9% of people who claim that making more will hurt them, and most think their marginal rate is their effective rate. But anytime there's a cliff instead of a sliding scale the calculus isn't necessarily clear cut if you actually make use of those benefits.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

My understanding about how charitable donations work is that if I donate $1, I get to subtract $1 from the amount used to calculate my taxable income.

The effect is that for every $1 I donate, the total income tax I end up paying is reduced by approximately 25 cents.

Assuming that you donate in excess of the standard deduction, then yes. And it would only be 50% max of each $1 that you could use, sometimes even less.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I,read a story today about Mormons flipping out over the new charitable rules. Lol Mitt

Do bitcoins count as charity when donated?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Raldikuk posted:

Assuming that you donate in excess of the standard deduction, then yes. And it would only be 50% max of each $1 that you could use, sometimes even less.

Right, yes, forgot that part: only if I'm claiming deductions beyond the standard.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Burt Sexual posted:

Do bitcoins count as charity when donated?

They count as an assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

They count as an assault.