Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Holy lol.

"About one fifth of one percent of you can expect to earn something resembling a living wage from this. Good luck!"

e: This - https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/multilevel-marketing -is pretty great by the way. They stop just short of calling MLMs scams, but no one that followed that advice in that link would ever get involved in one.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

At a family friends Christmas party last night, talk of my dad's (thankfully brief) time with Amway led to discussion of the ~160k my grandparents had spent buying timeshares, apparently. Which then segued to the destination wedding our family friends daughter is planning. It was like bwm bingo.

No horse chat, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I like how you can tell that they had fewer tiers in the early days and instead of putting more gemstones in before diamond, they just added a bunch of ridiculous Diablo-esque modifiers to Diamond.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I like how you can tell that they had fewer tiers in the early days and instead of putting more gemstones in before diamond, they just added a bunch of ridiculous Diablo-esque modifiers to Diamond.

Just wait til' we're Level 3 God-Emperor Diamonds of the Vile Tempest

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Also that's revenue, not profit. Unclear if "expenses" also include COGS. If so I don't know how anyone makes profit period.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
By being paid for speaking engagements and books.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

Also that's revenue, not profit. Unclear if "expenses" also include COGS. If so I don't know how anyone makes profit period.

They don't, that chart outlines what MLM is. The founders make money hand over fist selling some product at an absurd markup, a fraction of a percent of the distributors at the top of the pyramid make pretty good money from downstream sales, and a somewhat larger fraction of a percent get by from their downstream sales. The downstream skimming has no COGS, none of the people making money are getting by on personally selling any product. Everyone below the tip of the pyramid ranges somewhere between 'hounding friends and family to break even while calling myself a boss mom' and 'emptying my life savings on required inventory purchases I can't unload'.

e: They claim to have about 100,000 distributors. That would make 90 ambassador diamonds and presidential diamonds that are probably making a decent to good income from this, and another 180ish triple diamonds that are making more than minimum wage after expenses. Getting into an MLM is a really, really poor choice.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 17, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Keep in mind that pyramid schemes get worse and worse for the people at the bottom the longer they last. Here is It Works! 2015 statement, to compare to the 2013 above

Some more income disclosures from popular MLMs:

Yes, 94% of Young Living distributors make $12 a year before expenses.

(this chart doesn't include Associates, the lowest tier of the pyramid)

Again, not including lowest tier of the pyramid

72.63% of LuLaRoe distributors made no bonus income, meaning they relied on income from actual sales (which are low because nobody is buying that ugly rear end poo poo)

Jamberry (PDF)
Rodan and Fields (PDF)

Bonus - #BossBabe math

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Why do MLM people think they are actually starting a business? How dumb are they? Just go talk to any gas station owner and find out what starting a business actually is like - and that's a franchise, the "simplest" business of all!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aren’t they in fact starting a franchise?

Starting a business is neither hard nor a big deal. Every independent contractor or tradesperson does it.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Really it's more like starting a non-profit

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, most non-profits have income that covers at least most of their expenses.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Subjunctive posted:

Starting a business is neither hard nor a big deal. Every independent contractor or tradesperson does it.

Starting a sustainable business, though...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FrozenVent posted:

Starting a sustainable business, though...

I think the majority of businesses are sole proprietorships, and that most of those are are sustainable, but I haven’t looked for numbers. Businesses with real estate less so.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

CheesyDog posted:

Really it's more like starting a non-profit

I appreciate what you did there :v:

Content: A firefighter was telling me of a call he recently went to in which some guy's shed and all its contents burned down. It had a boat, ATVs, snowmobiles, camper, workshop, and a collection of every manual and power tool known to man going that had been collected over a couple decades as a tradesman. All uninsured.

BWM: Watching over a quarter million worth go up in smoke (and flames)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Guest2553 posted:

Content: A firefighter was telling me of a call he recently went to in which some guy's shed and all its contents burned down. It had a boat, ATVs, snowmobiles, camper, workshop, and a collection of every manual and power tool known to man going that had been collected over a couple decades as a tradesman. All uninsured.

How strange: the weather is cold, yet I've broken out in a sweat.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Subjunctive posted:

Right, sorry I worded it poorly. Starting a business on paper is super easy. It's about as difficult as getting ordained. I meant the fact that they act like they are making some huge historic move, opening up a brick and mortar store or something.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Drunk Tomato posted:

Right, sorry I worded it poorly. Starting a business on paper is super easy. It's about as difficult as getting ordained. I meant the fact that they act like they are making some huge historic move, opening up a brick and mortar store or something.

#girlboss #momboss #sidehustle #bonusmoney

there is a woman in my business school class who in between griping about her husband smoking in front of their newborn (strike 1) and his gacha addiction costing them thousands of dollars a month (strike 2) and talking about her season tickets to a sports franchise in a city literally 1,500 miles away (strike 3 - you're out) takes an opportunity every class to talk about her loving side hustle (strike 4) in a room full of MBAs.

it almost convinces me that the MBA is an utterly worthless insert cash, collect degree piece of paper, were it not tied to a guaranteed salary increase at work.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

What is 'Presidential Diamond' anyway? Are Presidents known for having particularly nice ones? I mean I could believe it with the current guy I guess but in general it's not like the US has Crown Jewels. :shobon:

(And how the hell does Ambassador outrank President?!)

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

it almost convinces me that the MBA is an utterly worthless insert cash, collect degree piece of paper, were it not tied to a guaranteed salary increase at work.

Having previously dated an MBA I am completely convinced that's what it is

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

#girlboss #momboss #sidehustle #bonusmoney

there is a woman in my business school class who in between griping about her husband smoking in front of their newborn (strike 1) and his gacha addiction costing them thousands of dollars a month (strike 2) and talking about her season tickets to a sports franchise in a city literally 1,500 miles away (strike 3 - you're out) takes an opportunity every class to talk about her loving side hustle (strike 4) in a room full of MBAs.

It doesn't help that many people who graduated from undergrad in the past 10 years or so had trouble finding a job and decided to go back to school instead. It's probably resulted in an excess supply of law/MBA/other Masters programs degrees out there.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

BWM: Not having renter's insurance.

A friend of a friend linked a Gofundme page of an artist asking for $15k because the place they were using as an art studio was lost in the recent LA wildfires and took all of their supplies and paintings with it.

I feel bad for the dude, but this isn't the first time that I've seen someone begging for thousands of dollars because they couldn't be bothered to spend a few bucks protecting themselves. I used to have a renter's insurance policy that cost like $10 but gave me an $11 discount on auto insurance. It was literally more expensive to not have insurance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Teeter posted:

BWM: Not having renter's insurance.

A friend of a friend linked a Gofundme page of an artist asking for $15k because the place they were using as an art studio was lost in the recent LA wildfires and took all of their supplies and paintings with it.

I feel bad for the dude, but this isn't the first time that I've seen someone begging for thousands of dollars because they couldn't be bothered to spend a few bucks protecting themselves. I used to have a renter's insurance policy that cost like $10 but gave me an $11 discount on auto insurance. It was literally more expensive to not have insurance.

Artist in LA? They were probably squatting and couldn't have insured the place if they wanted to.

Still BWM , though.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

The good news is that all of those stupid toys depreciate really quickly so they weren't worth even close to the $250k he paid for them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The good news is that all of those stupid toys depreciate really quickly so they weren't worth even close to the $250k he paid for them

No homeowner's insurance? I guess he didn't have a mortgage.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Subjunctive posted:

No homeowner's insurance? I guess he didn't have a mortgage.

I don't think home-owner's insurance would cover most of that anyhow, unless he had the appropriate riders.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

feedmegin posted:

(And how the hell does Ambassador outrank President?!)
Ambassadors go out and spread a thing throughout the world so they're top dog of MLM schemes, is my best guess.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If you're an MLM mark "business owner" you should create your own title. Real freedom is being able to call yourself General Boss Hog Deluxe

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't think home-owner's insurance would cover most of that anyhow, unless he had the appropriate riders.

Hmm. I guess that makes sense. I should check my policy tonight!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Just wait till we're General Boss Hog Deluxe.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
https://twitter.com/lordbeef/status/942860814377037824

Fool proof retirement strategy.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Fully diversified within the tulip asset class.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Uterine Lineup posted:

Fool proof retirement strategy.

Gonna retire the portfolio, more like.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

The color scheme is triggering me

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Drunk Tomato posted:

For me it's the poorly drawn pyramid sections:

https://twitter.com/frknbns/status/942862797066645511

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Drunk Tomato posted:

Red and green is a good choice. Black text on purple works really well too.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

That's the profit

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Surely a handful of years of existence followed by explosive growth is enough to categorize something as a "low risk investment."

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

No really, bitcoin has been around for less than a decade. The concepts underpinning cryptocurrency are maybe twice that age. Bitcoin has seen two American presidents. But it's worth a lot of Dollars American right now so it's clearly a "low risk investment." Holy gently caress.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That was amazing to read in my phone, I kept scrolling down and it unfurled like a beautiful BWM flower.