Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bhodi posted:

I admit I used to read http://peldor.com/ while bored at work :colbert:

If you're gonna do that you might as well https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
What in the world is this? A choose your own adventure style adaption of a D&D campaign?!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bhodi posted:

What in the world is this? A choose your own adventure style adaption of a D&D campaign?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_(gamebooks)

quote:

Dever developed the world of Magnamund from 1975 to 1983 as a setting for his Dungeons and Dragons campaigns. Originally called "Chinaraux", the world consisted of only northern Magnamund.[14] The Kai lords are like "psionic rangers with special powers bestowed upon them by their gods".[15] An individual book took 9 weeks to write, with three for mapping and plotting, and then 6 weeks of writing the story, creating an average of 12 entries per day.[16]

Primo 1980's right there.

I love posting that link because I know every time I do so, a few goons lose an entire workday

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 18, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Somehow I missed this entire idea and have never heard of it. I'm likely going to lose some time to it, definitely

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If you prefer open world sandboxes, the Fabled Lands books are worth a look. Only half the series was published, but that's still quite a lot of content, and there's a Java version if you want to play them on a computer.

If you prefer SF, turn to Heart of Ice is one of the best gamebooks out there. Standalone, has a neat post-apocalyptic setting, and some very memorable bits of weirdness.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
^^^^ The seventh book of FL is in the process of coming out. The pdf is out to backers and they're working on shipping the physical version.

I'd say unless you're really into "There is a corridor to the left and the right" - "Ok you went right you DIE, start over", just play some Choice Of games. They're a lot more about the narrative and character relationships. If you like Max Gladstone's Craft series, he wrote two gamebooks in that universe for them.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 18, 2017

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Putting the 10 remaining points into Intellect and increasing it to 18 at the base and 82 with items, I opened up the group interface and examined the stats of the rest of the group.

Eric. Warrior. Level 13. Stamina 40, Agility 15, Strength 30, Rage 8. Yes, I was wrong, the tank overshot me in Hit Points by quite a lot. But that was good: the thicker his hide the easier it'll be.

Clutzer. Rogue. Level 12. Stamina 25, Agility 15, Strength 40, Rage 6. I guessed the class right with our slang connoisseur. I was also glad to see that he had enough Stamina: a smaller Energy loss meant more time for mining the vein.

Leite. Warrior. Level 12. Stamina 25, Agility 10, Strength 45, Rage 7. This also made sense. In a mine you didn't need Stamina that much, especially if you're a Warrior, so the emphasis was made on Strength, to mine the ore quicker.

Karachun. Warrior. Level 12. Stamina 25, Agility 10, Strength 45, Rage 7. Leite’s clone, by the looks of it.

If they all have level 12 in Mining, they shouldn't spend more than four hours on a Large Copper Vein, even if they go at it alone. And if all of us start smashing a vein - it should be finished in an hour at the most; this could mean about 10 veins a day. To sum up: it should take us 10 days to complete the quest. If not for the Rats it would have been easy enough. But the Rats...

Speaking of litRPGs Awaken Online's side book, opened up with the side book protagonist getting a giant level-up notification with stat round-up and blah blah then going ohh yeah the main line protagonist plays told me to turn these off because they are distracting. It then proceeded to not have any stat/loot/level-up/notification stuff until a post-epilogue character page round-up. It felt just like a huge slap to the genre and I loved it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

General Battuta posted:

Baru Cormorant is just a novelization of a Dominion game, you can tell by the Duke spam and focus on card trashing
this is the best goddamn post I have ever read in my life

let me throw money at you for book two already goddammit

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bhodi posted:

Somehow I missed this entire idea and have never heard of it. I'm likely going to lose some time to it, definitely

There's a Let's Play of Lone Wolf going on over here now (currently most of the way through book 6):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830605

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Honestly people novelizing their game stuff has been ludicrously common since like the 80s and I think is only going to get moreso. Some writers are just better at filing the serial numbers off than others and it pops up in some weird places.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Baru Cormorant is just a novelization of a Dominion game, you can tell by the Duke spam and focus on card trashing

Also, Gold is bad in a Duke game.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Speaking of litRPGs Awaken Online's side book, opened up with the side book protagonist getting a giant level-up notification with stat round-up and blah blah then going ohh yeah the main line protagonist plays told me to turn these off because they are distracting. It then proceeded to not have any stat/loot/level-up/notification stuff until a post-epilogue character page round-up. It felt just like a huge slap to the genre and I loved it.

I don't know what any of this means.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ShutteredIn posted:

I don't know what any of this means.

You're better off.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You're better off.

Eh, the Awaken Online books have been pretty decent so far. I haven't read the side-book yet but they focus a lot on the ramifications of bullying and class differences in both the real world and the virtual one.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Victorkm posted:

Eh, the Awaken Online books have been pretty decent so far. I haven't read the side-book yet but they focus a lot on the ramifications of bullying and class differences in both the real world and the virtual one.

Jesus Christ stop loving posting about this garbage

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, thread. I want opinions before I do any ill-advised book shopping this holiday season. I'm looking for opinions on:

- Code of Conduct by Kristine Smith
- All you need is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka
- Imperial Spain by JH Elliott
- Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams
- Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe
- The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny

Any books I should prioritize or save for later? Any I should buy right now, what am I waiting for?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The standard recommendation I make about the Amber series is that it's good pulp but bad Zelazny -- it's better than most other pulp out there, but you're better off reading something like Lord of Light if you want quality Zelazny.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The standard recommendation I make about the Amber series is that it's good pulp but bad Zelazny -- it's better than most other pulp out there, but you're better off reading something like Lord of Light if you want quality Zelazny.

My very vague memories of Lord of Light's first few chapters was that I didn't like it. :shrug:

I'll give it a few more years and try again, probably.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe
Love/hate. I'm a big fan (there's a Gene Wolfe thread here somewhere) but I know other people who think he's opaque and unreadable. I would say give it a shot.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Love/hate. I'm a big fan (there's a Gene Wolfe thread here somewhere) but I know other people who think he's opaque and unreadable. I would say give it a shot.

I've thought Wolfe is super easy to read since I got into him a few years ago :shrug: the story can be dense and opaque but it's really easy to read and have a heck of a fun time

(get Shadow & Claw it's good)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

my bony fealty posted:

I've thought Wolfe is super easy to read since I got into him a few years ago :shrug: the story can be dense and opaque but it's really easy to read and have a heck of a fun time

And Hardwired is classic early cyberpunk, also read that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

My very vague memories of Lord of Light's first few chapters was that I didn't like it. :shrug:

I'll give it a few more years and try again, probably.

Please do. It starts a bit slowly so that you get to know the main character but it becomes amazingly fun.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

my bony fealty posted:

His books set in interesting worlds are easy to read on the strength of the prose and the imagery, even where what's happening narratively is opaque. The Latro books, Solar Cycle, and Wizard Knight fall here. The ones in more conventional settings can be slogs.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

If you prefer open world sandboxes, the Fabled Lands books are worth a look. Only half the series was published, but that's still quite a lot of content, and there's a Java version if you want to play them on a computer.

If you prefer SF, turn to Heart of Ice is one of the best gamebooks out there. Standalone, has a neat post-apocalyptic setting, and some very memorable bits of weirdness.

Man, I loved Fabled Lands as a kid. I remember getting them from the library and they came as big picture-book-sized books with like 600 entries and heaps of illustrations. And there were all these neat little succinct adventures - I have a real distinct memory of one where you pull up your ship to an island and fall asleep while the crew are gathering food, and some warriors ask you to help defend their queen and their palace from a dragon, and then later you're sort of waking up again and one of the sailors is talking about how he saw a snake trying to get into a bee's nest. It was full of low-key little magical fairytale stories like that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I've only read Home Fires by Gene Wolfe (since it was all the library had) but I liked it. The plot was always racing to the get to the next dialogue as opposed to concentrating on the action or setting, but I didn't find any of the plot unclear. It was a little funny how sparse the setting is. You have no idea what kind of world it takes place in except that interstellar travel exists yet electricity and petroleum are exceedingly rare. And most people are unemployed but becoming a lawyer is a ticket to riches.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

andrew smash posted:

Jesus Christ stop loving posting about this garbage

For a thread about genre trash, you sure are mad when I post about genre trash.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Victorkm posted:

For a thread about genre trash, you sure are mad when I post about genre trash.

The solution is simple: gas the whole thread.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

A human heart posted:

The solution is simple: gas the whole thread.
Tundrish came next, then Akbar. Juron managed to heave the access panel back into position behind him, and what little light there had been diminished even more. Yeremi could still see the tube wall quite clearly with his enhanced vision. However, he did not bother to look. He shut his eyes—the better to concentrate upon the cramped flexing of his muscles; upon that monotonous, peristaltic thrust upwards as of some gross mutant baby ascending a vertical birth canal in defiance both of gravity and of sane obstetrics.

The way in which the relative positions of the three "brothers" mimicked the old hierarchy of Trazior became ruefully evident to Yeremi as they pressed their way upward. Compression of the guts caused inevitable farting. D'Arquebus vented through his tunic and his silks virtually into Yeremi's face. Nor did Yeremi have much option but to gas Tundrish in turn.

Yeremi at least gasped out an apology to the body below him.

"Pardon me, brother."

"S'all right," panted Tundrish. "Reminds me of home in the underhive…"

"Did you just stand on his face?" piped a nonchalant voice from above. Was d'Arquebus oblivious to the reason for Yeremi's courtesy?

Ah, d'Arquebus was the bold trailblazer, was he not? Right in the lead, where the air was stale but not otherwise malodorous.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ulmont posted:

There's a Let's Play of Lone Wolf going on over here now (currently most of the way through book 6):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830605

gently caress Book 6 to death with a Sommerswerd.

Most of the Lone Wolf books are available in a free app, if you're a curious Android user.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
i confess to getting a kick out of the Magelord series of books. "The Awakening" by Thomas K. Martin delves into some pretty interesting topics for such a short book

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
So speaking of the depths of genre trash. I got like 1/2 way through Morning Wood: Everybody loves huge chests(it's about a mimic get it), which advertised itself as a parody book of the genre. But that's the problem it's kinda not, it sorta is but it's played too straight and doesn't have enough jokes any jokes it does have fall flat. Like I have read a lot of this trash genre in webnovels and with the good reviews on GR and Amazon I was like huh maybe this is a very good one or something? Because there have been a few that I really liked but this one manages to not only be dry and kinda boring but somehow delves into fetish land harder than pretty much any I have read except one WB who's name I'm blanking on at the moment.

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that they should avoid the book, but if you were thinking well...maybe it's actually pretty good for laughs, it's not.

In other genre trash news Amazon and Goodreads have been pushing Star Justice at me so hard I'm almost tempted to read it despite the below just to get it over with

Star Justice posted:

Imprisoned and subjected to brutal genetic experiments, space marine Adam has been changed into a perfect predator. A super soldier that is part man, part tiger, and all killing machine.

When his latest mission has an unexpected outcome, Adam finds himself free of his explosive control collar and honor bound to protect a mysterious woman. Now he is on an alien planet, and they are both being hunted by the most powerful mega corporation in the solar system. Their only escape lays at the helm of an experimental starship hidden beyond countless layers of military security.

All Adam has is his military training, sense of honor, and a beautiful woman who needs to drink blood to live.

It is time to let the tiger out.

Disclaimer: The Star Justice series contains graphic violence, cursing, and polyamorous/harem situations. The series is not suitable for children.

It's that disclaimer that always tells me I'm about to receive some "quality" bro-otica.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

It's that disclaimer that always tells me I'm about to receive some "quality" bro-otica.

That's about the gist of it. Read the first and found it terribly non-compelling despite being nominally in the same realm of slightly over-the-top action that I dig in S. Andrew Swann's stuff. If there was just a biiit more effort put into it (and perhaps minus the loving space vampire deus-ex-machina) they could be interesting, but dude is apparently more interested in just churning these out something like one book every two months.

Edit: It almost feels like it's transcribing someone's Totally Rad Sci-Fi RPG where the protagonist characters are all super awesome at what they do and the challenges they encounter are all just slightly trivial enough.

darnon fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 20, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
LET THE TIGER OUT

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

So speaking of the depths of genre trash. I got like 1/2 way through Morning Wood: Everybody loves huge chests(it's about a mimic get it), which advertised itself as a parody book of the genre. But that's the problem it's kinda not, it sorta is but it's played too straight and doesn't have enough jokes any jokes it does have fall flat. Like I have read a lot of this trash genre in webnovels and with the good reviews on GR and Amazon I was like huh maybe this is a very good one or something? Because there have been a few that I really liked but this one manages to not only be dry and kinda boring but somehow delves into fetish land harder than pretty much any I have read except one WB who's name I'm blanking on at the moment.

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that they should avoid the book, but if you were thinking well...maybe it's actually pretty good for laughs, it's not.

oh yeah I rememer when that showed up in ADTRW.

Synthbuttrange posted:

A few chapters in and there's a necromancer that's into bestiality fiddling with herself. :negative:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh looks like she's permanently out of the picture.

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's pretty much I'm a spider so what except with occasional edgy bits like swearing, masturbation and genital destruction.

Okay wait there are the guro and mind break tags. gently caress this poo poo.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Neurosis posted:

His books set in interesting worlds are easy to read on the strength of the prose and the imagery, even where what's happening narratively is opaque. The Latro books, Solar Cycle, and Wizard Knight fall here. The ones in more conventional settings can be slogs.

True enough, I've only read two of his "real world" novels; found The Sorcerer's House to be thrilling but Castleview was pretty hard to get through. Might try to re-read it now that I've read a lot more Arthurian stuff and might be able to discern wtf is going on (hah).

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

In other genre trash news Amazon and Goodreads have been pushing Star Justice at me so hard I'm almost tempted to read it despite the below just to get it over with

I used to see ads for this guy's books on Facebook all the time, usually with dopey taglines like "BETTER THAN HEINLEIN?" I really get the "self-published author who is independently wealthy and can pay to advertise his weird tiger book everywhere" vibe.

The perspective in that cover is messing with my head too. Is tiger bro like 12 feet tall, or sexy blonde lady real small? Who can tell.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Serious question: do we need to split the self published crap off into a separate thread

It's making my soul hurt

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Serious question: do we need to split the self published crap off into a separate thread

It's making my soul hurt

Yes.
and then ban everyone posting in it

Someone got that link from a sci-fi editor about the quality of the stuff she had to review?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

I used to see ads for this guy's books on Facebook all the time, usually with dopey taglines like "BETTER THAN HEINLEIN?" I really get the "self-published author who is independently wealthy and can pay to advertise his weird tiger book everywhere" vibe.

The perspective in that cover is messing with my head too. Is tiger bro like 12 feet tall, or sexy blonde lady real small? Who can tell.

Judging by the amount of reviews on Amazon, the series seems to be doing well.

It's making my soul hurt

Nah.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's making my soul hurt

God yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007