Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vernii posted:

I got the impression it was because she dresses and talks like a politician instead of an officer.

That was my initial impression, but after reading all of this I feel like it could be both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
going by the movie logic about balance a feminist like holdo should give rise to an equal misogynist like poe

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

More like

Luke: jeez, it's happening again, oh geez, I made this nice jedi school to make it right this time and it's all happening again, holy gently caress, what do I do? I could just end this all now.

(he definitely would have killed himself after killing kylo ren taking the whole flawed jedi concept with him.)

I guess everyone has their opinion of how Luke should be characterized. I'm not necessarily saying yours is wrong, but to me (and probably Mark Hamill), I've always seen Luke as:

1. Optimistic
2. Sees the good in people
3. Fights for what he believes in
4. Self-sacrificial
5. Undaunted

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
She looked like she just came from a party or something, and the whole "Starkiller Base was destroyed and you need to come with us RIGHT NOW because it's not safe where you are" thing was dropped in her lap.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

aware of dog posted:

So did you just skip the part where Luke nearly kills Vader in anger or

But paying attention to that wouldn't align with their personal belief of who Luke Skywalker is.

Certain point of view etc etc.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Whats really left for them to do a movie about in IX?

Rey and Kylo fight for the third time but this time for real.

First Order loses.

Just go through the last few motions to get it over with.

TLJ feels like it deflated most of the remaining tension and isn't really ramping up to something big.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why did the Resistance ships have to use fuel during the dumb 'chase'? Wouldn't inertia just take them through space?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Deadulus posted:

First Order loses.

TLJ feels like it deflated most of the remaining tension and isn't really ramping up to something big.

Not kidding: that's good and hopefully you will go into the next movie with no expectations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AndyElusive posted:

You're giving Snoke more credit than he deserves I think. You're assuming that because he's shown incredible aptitude in manipulating the dark side that he's able to keenly be aware of his surroundings while simultaneously being inside Ben's mind, restraining Rey and taunting all at once.

poo poo man, I mean he's shown to be pretty powerful but even Palpatine couldn't stop Vader from tossing him. All Kylo did was punk him with a 90 degree turn of the handle and a flick of a lightsaber switch.

Snoke's done more things with the Force than anyone else has in the whole series, from what we see he's probably the most powerful user of the force that there's ever been, I blame this on power creep which ruins everything. The problem is once you show a character as strong as Snoke it's hard to believe he'd succumb to something so incredibly obvious considering the audience can see it coming from a mile away. The dude bridges mind gaps, makes people fly like superman (even at long distance with Hux), has the force lightning of the Emperor, and can transmit physical matter across spacetime; I still find it hard to believe he'd die the way he did. I don't even care that he died but it could have been an opportunity to show another side of him or something and flesh him a bit out and not having him be a Copy/Paste of the Emperor, have Rey and Kylo team up against him and show us that he can't handle two young and powerful Jedi because he's so old an decrepit. Or just don't make him so god drat strong in the first place. It would have been nice to have some flushed out characters in this film but nope, let's just load it up with throwaway characters because they're all gonna die anyway! Yay!

The Emperor did retaliate against Vader as soon as he lifted him up, which killed him in the process. The Emperor also is never shown to be as powerful force user as Snoke is either. Luke could have literally done the same thing to the Emperor but it's lazy as poo poo and would have been disappointing. Visually it's great seeing Snoke fall apart in half a la Darth Maul but there's no weight to it, but it also doesn't help that there's no character or story behind Snoke, he's just a lovely CGI troll from LOTR that wants to be Kylo's pimp forever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Why did the Resistance ships have to use fuel during the dumb 'chase'? Wouldn't inertia just take them through space?

Constant acceleration requires fuel

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Regarding rank, appearance and reputation: A Star War Story

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"
"You came in that? You're braver than I thought"
"General Grievous, you're shorter than I expected"
"Well look at you, a general!"
"Anakin Skywalker, I was expecting someone of your reputation to be...older"
"Judge me by my size, do you?"
"I'm looking for a great warrior [with Yoda in front of him]"

Is Han racist for assuming Lando, a black man, would be a general? Or is it that he knows Lando's characteristics and is surprised that a scoundrel like him would be a leader of soldiers.

Unfortunately we don't as much about Holdo as we do about, say, Yoda and Luke, Han and Lando, Luke and Leia or Anakin and Grievous, to understand from where their dialogue is coming.

The question then becomes: is Poe a sexist based on what we are shown, or are we projecting our thoughts into a real world analogue of that same situation and informing it with what we know and think about the real world?

Again my thoughts are that the movie primarily depicts a classist Poe distrustful of the political ruling elites, and that an additionally sexist reading of the film's text is contradicted by its events and visual language (and I think this is a net bad thing, since a sexist reading of Poe is interesting as a critique on Han and Luke)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just rewatched Rogue One's third act and can confirm it's the best thing ever in any Star Wars movie. It got the taste of this film out of my mouth at least.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Deadulus posted:

First Order loses.

This movie feels like it deflated most of the remaining tension and isn't really ramping up to something big.

You did a really good job summarizing my issues with the potential for the next episode. If the show runners can somehow dig themselves out of this hole without pulling any cheap tricks, I'd be super surprised.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Deadulus posted:

First Order loses.

The Resistance is like 10 people and 3 droids atm, I’m excited to see how this gets built up. I’m half-expecting a bit more of a time jump between 8 and 9.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Vegetable posted:

I did an actual laugh-out-loud when Ren's little lightsaber trick to kill Snoke worked. It was played as serious but come on that poo poo is goofy.

I think they way he went out Like A Bitch is proof enough for me that he's Darth Plagueis. He got caught literally sleeping by Palpatine and, upon having another bite at that sweet galactic tyranny apple, got caught monologuing with his goddamn eyes closed of all things and went out like a total punk "again". Some Sith Lords just don't have what it takes to rule All Things That Are.

One thing I really liked about this movie was showing Luke's fuckup flashback from 3 "points of view", as Kenobi would say.

Rey sees Luke as a helpless old man begging for his life and getting owned like :ohdear: :supaburn:

Kylo sees it as Luke being totally sketchy and hosed up in his bedroom like :a2m: :hist101:

Luke explains it like it was just a misunderstanding and if only he had a chance to explain why he was being sketchy over his bed and that he was *actually* just trying to kill that spider over his head honest to god no joke bruh, but alas... :negative:

The answer is, like all family blowups where people walk away scarred and angry forever, likely somewhere in the middle.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

euphronius posted:

Constant acceleration requires fuel

It's space. There's no air resistance.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Its a movie

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Dahbadu posted:

Darth Vader, one of the most evil figures in galactic history.
Luke: I know there is still good in you; I will not fight you father.

Ben Solo showed signs of going bad.
Luke: Hmm, maybe I should kill this kid.

I know the snippets in this video were edited to make probably an unfair point, but I still found it prescient:

https://youtu.be/i0biqMZrxJ0

Also, what's people's opinion on this:

https://youtu.be/FntZKz9fXp8

I personally think Mark was probably let in on the plan, because he's probably seen a script for episode IX. But let's say they kept it a secret from Mark; Rian is one stone cold mofo.

lol he really does look like he got completely sideswiped in that clip of them after the premier

I guess it could be completely possible that he didn't know it was going to happen, since the actual death is CGI'd. That would honestly be kinda hosed up though.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Star Wars is not real. It is possible that in Star Wars space has air, because it is not real.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

What the gently caress was with Yoda's ghost? Why could it interact with Luke physically?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

You did a really good job summarizing my issues with the potential for the next episode. If the show runners can somehow dig themselves out of this hole without pulling any cheap tricks, I'd be super surprised.
Say what you will about Abrams but he did a swell job setting up Johnson to do whatever he wanted

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

s.i.r.e. posted:

The dude bridges mind gaps,

I thought he was lying about this, implied by the fact that it happens again after he's dead.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lol he really does look like he got completely sideswiped in that clip of them after the premier

I guess it could be completely possible that he didn't know it was going to happen, since the actual death is CGI'd. That would honestly be kinda hosed up though.

Yeah, and given that the script for episode IX is probably in a state of flux, especially given Fisher's death, I think there is more than a zero percent likelihood that Mark could have been blindsided here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Omg in two threads. The first order ships are accelerating behind the rebels. The rebels must be under thrust (constant acceleration) in order to stay ahead. They can't stop accelerating or eventually the first order would overtake them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hamill has said each of the new trilogy movies were meant for the old castt: TFA for Solo, this one for Hamill, and the next one for Fisher (at least until she died). I reaaaaally doubt he was surprised by his character's demise.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

euphronius posted:

Omg in two threads. The first order ships are accelerating behind the rebels. The rebels must be under thrust (constant acceleration) in order to stay ahead. They can't stop accelerating or eventually the first order would overtake them.

This is true and also unfortunately will not shut up the people who are still wondering why every engagement is not a constant stream of suicide bombings

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Deadulus posted:

First Order loses.

rey negotiates on behalf of the 8 people in the resistance to join the first order and reform it from the top down, Finn is placed in charge of all ground troops and poe all air troops and abolish conscription & brainwashing , meanwhile rey + ren form a new era of force sensitive leadership where the muggles aren't allowed to have a place in politics. the new republican empire lasts for an eternity.

no fights, all politics.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mastershakeman posted:

no fights, all politics.

This time, the outer rim planets trade embargo the Republic. It's like poetry, it :suicide:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Vegetable posted:

If you're a recently demoted poo poo-for-brains muscle you really have no justification for demanding a motivational speech, let alone top-secret strategy. It also doesn't look like anybody else had a problem with following the chain of command.

Poe has a right to demand an explanation considering the action that got him demoted is what saved the Resistance fleet from being turbofucked by the Dreadnought after the Imperials followed them.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

rey negotiates on behalf of the 8 people in the resistance to join the first order and reform it from the top down, Finn is placed in charge of all ground troops and poe all air troops and abolish conscription & brainwashing , meanwhile rey + ren form a new era of force sensitive leadership where the muggles aren't allowed to have a place in politics. the new republican empire lasts for an eternity.

no fights, all politics.

I think TLJ would have set up much greater potential for IX if Rey had accepted Kylo's offer.

Something else that bothers me about the Sequel Trilogy is that it tries to setup this friendship thing with Rey, Finn and Poe. But, they hardly have any screen time together. Poe and Rey only met at the end of TLJ.

Poe and Finn have also not had much screen time together. Poe and Finn escape together then separated in crash. Don't see each other again until they run into each other at the Rebel base. This is a short meeting because they immediately head off to destroy the Starkiller base. Finn put in coma after this. Doesn't talk to Poe again until the start of TLJ where Finn is quickly sent off on a side quest.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 18, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why didn't Snoke's giant rear end ship have a giant rear end gun I could have saved an hour of my life.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Varam posted:

Poe has a right to demand an explanation considering the action that got him demoted is what saved the Resistance fleet from being turbofucked by the Dreadnought after the Imperials followed them.

Not usually how chain of command works.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

euphronius posted:

Not kidding: that's good and hopefully you will go into the next movie with no expectations.

This is correct. The best thing Rian did was force the franchise to do something new instead of just another rehash of plucky rebels beat big bad imperials who have yet another superweapon.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Waffles Inc. posted:

So his failure is in trusting Finn and Rose?

No, his failure is that he acted brashly and impulsively, disregarding protocol and the chain of command, because he personally believed he alone knew the right thing to do.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
bruh if you're a rebel you need to have some affable loving leaders
a cool war fighter like poe will also take offense at sniveling cowards at the top giving him orders, it's just common sense

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It feels like a pretty serious time jump might be necessary. I mean, we now have what we're being told is the "spark" of a rebellion, but are we really supposed to believe they can put that all together in a matter of weeks or even months? That, plus Carrie Fisher's passing seems to make a several year skip one of the more elegant solutions to the problems that this film created for the franchise going forward. I'd argue something like 5 years would be perfect, enough for the status quo to have developed significantly, but not long enough to force too many cast changes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Snoke's done more things with the Force than anyone else has in the whole series, from what we see he's probably the most powerful user of the force that there's ever been, I blame this on power creep which ruins everything. The problem is once you show a character as strong as Snoke it's hard to believe he'd succumb to something so incredibly obvious considering the audience can see it coming from a mile away. The dude bridges mind gaps, makes people fly like superman (even at long distance with Hux), has the force lightning of the Emperor, and can transmit physical matter across spacetime; I still find it hard to believe he'd die the way he did. I don't even care that he died but it could have been an opportunity to show another side of him or something and flesh him a bit out and not having him be a Copy/Paste of the Emperor, have Rey and Kylo team up against him and show us that he can't handle two young and powerful Jedi because he's so old an decrepit. Or just don't make him so god drat strong in the first place. It would have been nice to have some flushed out characters in this film but nope, let's just load it up with throwaway characters because they're all gonna die anyway! Yay!

The Emperor did retaliate against Vader as soon as he lifted him up, which killed him in the process. The Emperor also is never shown to be as powerful force user as Snoke is either. Luke could have literally done the same thing to the Emperor but it's lazy as poo poo and would have been disappointing. Visually it's great seeing Snoke fall apart in half a la Darth Maul but there's no weight to it, but it also doesn't help that there's no character or story behind Snoke, he's just a lovely CGI troll from LOTR that wants to be Kylo's pimp forever.

People using the force as a tool and a weapon for their own ends but not actually being in tune with it, the galaxy, or with the people around them is a major element of this franchise. Its hammered home again and again. It's how the Emperor was defeated, not because Vader used the Lift Old Man power against him. Luke couldn't have done that, it would not have fit in-universe and would have missed the main theme of the entire trilogy. That you think it would have been better for Rey and Kylo to just beat Snoke in a fight by being more powerful is baffling.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

euphronius posted:

Not usually how chain of command works.

And mutineers aren't usually rewarded with a pat on the back and their commanding officers talking about likable they are. Very little about the Resistance is usual.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

No, his failure is that he acted brashly and impulsively, disregarding protocol and the chain of command, because he personally believed he alone knew the right thing to do.

Not he alone though. At the very least he, Finn and Rose. The idea to destroy the tracker was Finn and Rose's plan, concocted together. Poe...I'm not even sure...facilitated it? Put them in touch with Maz (which I thought was odd since I guess the entire Resistance knows Maz now?) and then...encouraged them?

And then he is to blame that they were betrayed by BDT?

What is the likelihood that Finn and Rose would have left on their own had Poe vetoed their plan (it is 100%)

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Varam posted:

And mutineers aren't usually rewarded with a pat on the back and their commanding officers talking about likable they are. Very little about the Resistance is usual.

He's a good pilot and officer. They don't have many left.

• Locked thread